Bible Discussion: PASTOR DAVE DOES NOT UNDERSTAND GALATIANS

PASTOR DAVE DOES NOT UNDERSTAND GALATIANS

Donna Kupp
2004-06-05 22:21:41 EST
Pastor Dave wrote to Cindy:

"If you think that you are bound to uphold the Old
Covenant Laws, then you are putting yourself under the
Law. There is no two ways about it. As I have told
you more than once already, that is exactly what Paul
was writing about in his letter to the church in
Galatia."

Donna sez to Dave:

In order to understand the words of a writer, we must
consider to whom he is writing. In Paul's letter to the
churches of Galatia, he is writing to an early church that
was comprised of Jews and Gentiles who, THROUGH
FAITH, had taken hold of the New Covenant that
God had made with the house of Israel and the House of
Judah.

"For this is the covenant that I will make
with the house of Israel
after those days, saith the Lord;
I WILL PUT MY LAWS INTO THEIR MIND,
AND WRITE THEM IN THEIR HEARTS:
and I will be to them a God,
and they shall be to me a people:"
Heb 8:10 (KJV)

(That is the only covenant that is valid; because it
was brought into effect by the death of Jesus Christ.)

The Ten Commandments with their moral precepts
were NOT ABOLISHED AT THE CROSS!
They are engraved upon the hearts of the people of God.

Please listen to the following words of Paul (The writer of
Galatians) and filter all his hard-to-understand, obscure
verses through these few clear words:

"Do we then make void the law **through faith**?
God forbid: yea,
WE ESTABLISH THE LAW." Rom 3:31 (KJV)

WE ESTABLISH THE LAW!
WE ESTABLISH THE LAW!
WE ESTABLISH THE LAW!

We must use those four words as a touchstone to test all
doctrines based upon the epistles of Paul. Otherwise; his
words can be easily twisted to become a license to sin.
The apostle Peter said:

16 "As also in all his [Paul's] epistles, speaking in them
of these things; in which are some things hard to be
understood, which they that are unlearned and unstable
wrest, as they do also the other scriptures, unto their own
destruction.

17 Ye therefore, beloved, seeing ye know these things
before, beware lest ye also, being led away with the **error
of the wicked**, fall from your own stedfastness."
2 Pet 3:16-17 (KJV)

As I said before, the churches of Galatia were comprised of
Jews and Gentiles who, THROUGH FAITH, had taken
hold of the New Covenant that God had made with the
house of Israel and the House of Judah.

Those two groups of people had two sets of problems that
needed to be corrected:

THE GENTILES came from paganism and had to
renounce their old way of life when they served
demons with their pagan practices of idolatry, witchcraft
--and ASTROLOGY. (Dear reader: a google search
should bring up The Days, Months, Times and Years
of Galatians 4:10-11.)

THE JEW'S problem was that old traditions are hard to give up!
The saints of the Old Testament also had faith and believed the
gospel! Every time they offered a lamb, they were looking forward
to "The Lamb of God that taketh away the sins of the world."

For centuries, natural Israel had offered the sacrifices of
the "yoke of bondage." and some Jewish Christians were still
doing those works of the law. Paul is exhorting them to stop
doing the rites and sacrifices that went with the Levitical
Priesthood.

THE LAW OF ORDINANCES (that regulated the
priesthood and the ceremonial law) WAS ABOLISHED
AT THE CROSS OF JESUS CHRIST.

No law can forgive sins (justification). No law can deliver
us from the power of our sin nature. We must have
faith in Jesus Christ.

(Here is a good opportunity for me to compare The Law Of
Ordinances with The Ten Commandmants.)

1. The Law of Ordinances is the carnal law.

"The Holy Ghost this signifying, that the way into
the holiest of all was not yet made manifest,
while as the first tabernacle was yet standing:

Which was a figure for the time then present,
in which were offered both gifts and sacrifices,
that could not make him that did the service perfect,
as pertaining to the conscience;

Which stood only in meats and drinks, and divers washings,
and CARNAL ORDINANCES, imposed on them
**until the time of reformation**."
Heb 9:8-10 (KJV)

2. The Ten Commandments is the spiritual law. (It is the law
that defines sin):

What shall we say then? Is the law sin? God forbid. **Nay,
I had not known sin, but by the law: for I had not known lust,
except the law had said, THOU SHALT NOT COVET.
Rom 7:7 (KJV)

"For we know that the law is spiritual:
but I am carnal, sold under sin."
Romans 7:14 KJV)

"That the righteousness of **the law might be fulfilled
IN US**,
who walk not after the flesh, but AFTER THE SPIRIT.
Rom 8:14 (KJV)

"For as many as are led by the Spirit of God,
they are the sons of God." Rom 8:14 (KJV)

Conclusion: The Law of Ordinances was abolished at the
cross. Sin is transgression of The Ten Commandments.
We must have faith in the death, burial and resurrection
of Jesus for the forgiveness and cleansing of sins. Christians
must obey The Ten Commandments for Jesus to be our
Lord. The sons of God obey The Ten Commandments
through the enabling power of The Holy Spirit.

Donna Kupp

"And the dragon was wroth with the woman,
and went to make war with the remnant of her seed,
WHICH KEEP THE COMMANDMENTS OF GOD,
AND HAVE THE TESTIMONY OF JESUS CHRIST."
Rev 12:17 (KJV)

The Seven Deadly Deceptions Of Counterfeit Christianity
http://www.harborside.com/~hkupp

Deluxe
2004-06-06 00:54:08 EST
Donna Kupp wrote:

> THE JEW'S problem was that old traditions are hard to give up!
> The saints of the Old Testament also had faith and believed the
> gospel! Every time they offered a lamb, they were looking forward
> to "The Lamb of God that taketh away the sins of the world."
>
> For centuries, natural Israel had offered the sacrifices of
> the "yoke of bondage." and some Jewish Christians were still
> doing those works of the law. Paul is exhorting them to stop
> doing the rites and sacrifices that went with the Levitical
> Priesthood.

So you're saying that the Jews in Galatia had the problem
that they were doing all those sacrifices related to the
priesthood. How exactly were they doing that given that
they were in Galatia? Sacrifice was only lawful in the
temple at Jerusalem.

Pastor Dave
2004-06-06 10:20:11 EST
On 5 Jun 2004 19:21:41 -0700, dkupp@harborside.com
(Donna Kupp) posted thusly:

>Pastor Dave wrote to Cindy:
>
>"If you think that you are bound to uphold the Old
>Covenant Laws, then you are putting yourself under the
>Law. There is no two ways about it. As I have told
>you more than once already, that is exactly what Paul
>was writing about in his letter to the church in
>Galatia."
>
>Donna sez to Dave:
>
> In order to understand the words of a writer, we must
>consider to whom he is writing. In Paul's letter to the
>churches of Galatia, he is writing to an early church that
>was comprised of Jews and Gentiles who, THROUGH
>FAITH, had taken hold of the New Covenant that
>God had made with the house of Israel and the House of
>Judah.

And he wrote to them about people like you, who claim
that the Old Covenant Laws must still be observed and
told them that they were being "bewitched". Take note
of that.

± Pastor Dave Raymond ±

"As for me, I have not hastened from being a pastor
to follow thee: neither have I desired the woeful day;
thou knowest: that which came out of my lips was right
before thee." - Jeremiah 17:16

"And take the helmet of salvation, and the sword of
the Spirit, which is the word of God:" - Ephesians 6:17

/}
@#######{]::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::>
\}

"If life had evolved into its wondrous profusion of
creatures little by little, Dr. Eldredge argues, then
one would expect to find fossils of transitional
creatures which were a bit like what went before them
and a bit like what came after. But no one has yet
found any evidence of such transitional creatures.
This oddity has been attributed to gaps in the fossil
record which gradualists expected to fill when rock
strata of the proper age had been found. In the last
decade, however, geologists have found rock layers of
all divisions of the last 500 million years and no
transitional forms were contained in them." (The
Guardian Weekly, 26 Nov 1978, vol 119, no 22, p. 1)

Pastor Dave
2004-06-06 10:21:08 EST
On Sun, 06 Jun 2004 05:54:08 +0100, deluxe
<*e@alwaysme.com> posted thusly:

>Donna Kupp wrote:
>>
>> THE JEW'S problem was that old traditions are hard to give up!
>> The saints of the Old Testament also had faith and believed the
>> gospel! Every time they offered a lamb, they were looking forward
>> to "The Lamb of God that taketh away the sins of the world."
>>
>> For centuries, natural Israel had offered the sacrifices of
>> the "yoke of bondage." and some Jewish Christians were still
>> doing those works of the law. Paul is exhorting them to stop
>> doing the rites and sacrifices that went with the Levitical
>> Priesthood.
>>

>So you're saying that the Jews in Galatia had the problem
>that they were doing all those sacrifices related to the
>priesthood. How exactly were they doing that given that
>they were in Galatia? Sacrifice was only lawful in the
>temple at Jerusalem.

This is what happens when people don't study the life
and times of the Old Testament, up through the first
century. :)

± Pastor Dave Raymond ±

"As for me, I have not hastened from being a pastor
to follow thee: neither have I desired the woeful day;
thou knowest: that which came out of my lips was right
before thee." - Jeremiah 17:16

"And take the helmet of salvation, and the sword of
the Spirit, which is the word of God:" - Ephesians 6:17

/}
@#######{]::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::>
\}

WARNING: Exposure to the Son may prevent burning!

Pastor Dave
2004-06-06 17:19:13 EST
On 5 Jun 2004 19:21:41 -0700, dkupp@harborside.com
(Donna Kupp) posted thusly:

>Pastor Dave wrote to Cindy:
>
>"If you think that you are bound to uphold the Old
>Covenant Laws, then you are putting yourself under the
>Law. There is no two ways about it. As I have told
>you more than once already, that is exactly what Paul
>was writing about in his letter to the church in
>Galatia."
>
>Donna sez to Dave:
>
> In order to understand the words of a writer, we must
>consider to whom he is writing. In Paul's letter to the
>churches of Galatia, he is writing to an early church that
>was comprised of Jews and Gentiles who, THROUGH
>FAITH, had taken hold of the New Covenant that
>God had made with the house of Israel and the House of
>Judah.

And she wrote to them about people like me, who claim
that the Old Covenant Laws must still be observed and
told them that they were being "bitched". Take note
of that.

--

\ufffd Pastor Dave \ufffd

"As for me, I have not hastened from being a pastor to follow thee: neither
have I desired the woeful day; thou knowest: that which came out of my lips
was right before thee." - Jeremiah 17:16

"And take the helmet of salvation, and the sword of the Spirit, which is
the word of God:" - Ephesians 6:17
/}
@#####{]::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::>
\}

Pastor Dave
2004-06-06 17:19:39 EST
On Sun, 06 Jun 2004 05:54:08 +0100, deluxe
<*e@alwaysme.com> posted thusly:

>Donna Kupp wrote:
>>
>> THE JEW'S problem was that old traditions are hard to give up!
>> The saints of the Old Testament also had faith and believed the
>> gospel! Every time they offered a lamb, they were looking forward
>> to "The Lamb of God that taketh away the sins of the world."
>>
>> For centuries, natural Israel had offered the sacrifices of
>> the "yoke of bondage." and some Jewish Christians were still
>> doing those works of the law. Paul is exhorting them to stop
>> doing the rites and sacrifices that went with the Levitical
>> Priesthood.
>>

>So you're saying that the Jews in Galatia had the problem
>that they were doing all those sacrifices related to the
>priesthood. How exactly were they doing that given that
>they were in Galatia? Sacrifice was only lawful in the
>temple at Jerusalem.

This is what happens when people study the life
and times of the Old Testament,

--

\ufffd Pastor Dave \ufffd

"As for me, I have not hastened from being a pastor to follow thee: neither
have I desired the woeful day; thou knowest: that which came out of my lips
was right before thee." - Jeremiah 17:16

"And take the helmet of salvation, and the sword of the Spirit, which is
the word of God:" - Ephesians 6:17
/}
@#####{]::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::>
\}

Glenn \Christian Mystic\
2004-06-06 19:57:54 EST
AHHHHH ! I agree with Pastor Dave ! Horrors :-)

"Pastor Dave" <nospam*-*pastordave38@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> On 5 Jun 2004 19:21:41 -0700, dkupp@harborside.com
> (Donna Kupp) posted thusly:
>
> >Pastor Dave wrote to Cindy:
> >
> >"If you think that you are bound to uphold the Old
> >Covenant Laws, then you are putting yourself under the
> >Law. There is no two ways about it. As I have told
> >you more than once already, that is exactly what Paul
> >was writing about in his letter to the church in
> >Galatia."
> >
> >Donna sez to Dave:
> >
> > In order to understand the words of a writer, we must
> >consider to whom he is writing. In Paul's letter to the
> >churches of Galatia, he is writing to an early church that
> >was comprised of Jews and Gentiles who, THROUGH
> >FAITH, had taken hold of the New Covenant that
> >God had made with the house of Israel and the House of
> >Judah.
>
> And he wrote to them about people like you, who claim
> that the Old Covenant Laws must still be observed and
> told them that they were being "bewitched". Take note
> of that.
>

> --
>
> \ufffd Pastor Dave Raymond \ufffd
>
> "As for me, I have not hastened from being a pastor
> to follow thee: neither have I desired the woeful day;
> thou knowest: that which came out of my lips was right
> before thee." - Jeremiah 17:16
>
> "And take the helmet of salvation, and the sword of
> the Spirit, which is the word of God:" - Ephesians 6:17
>
> /}
> @#######{]::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::>
> \}
>
> "If life had evolved into its wondrous profusion of
> creatures little by little, Dr. Eldredge argues, then
> one would expect to find fossils of transitional
> creatures which were a bit like what went before them
> and a bit like what came after. But no one has yet
> found any evidence of such transitional creatures.
> This oddity has been attributed to gaps in the fossil
> record which gradualists expected to fill when rock
> strata of the proper age had been found. In the last
> decade, however, geologists have found rock layers of
> all divisions of the last 500 million years and no
> transitional forms were contained in them." (The
> Guardian Weekly, 26 Nov 1978, vol 119, no 22, p. 1)

Katrina Bloomfield
2004-06-06 21:43:17 EST
d*p@harborside.com (Donna Kupp) wrote:

> The Ten Commandments with their moral precepts
> were NOT ABOLISHED AT THE CROSS!
> They are engraved upon the hearts of the people of God.
>
> Please listen to the following words of Paul (The writer of
> Galatians) and filter all his hard-to-understand, obscure
> verses through these few clear words:
>
> "Do we then make void the law **through faith**?
> God forbid: yea,
> WE ESTABLISH THE LAW." Rom 3:31 (KJV)
>
> WE ESTABLISH THE LAW!
> WE ESTABLISH THE LAW!
> WE ESTABLISH THE LAW!
>
> We must use those four words as a touchstone to test all
> doctrines based upon the epistles of Paul.

You might be interested to learn that the word "the" does not appear
before the word "law" in Romans 3:31 in the original Greek language.
Therefore, the "touchstone" is this:

WE ESTABLISH LAW!
WE ESTABLISH LAW!
WE ESTABLISH LAW!

Here is an excerpt which explains Romans 3:31 from D.M. Canfield's
book.

http://web2.iadfw.net/billtod/ch21.txt

ANSWER: 1. A few isolated texts cannot be interpreted to conflict
with the general tenor, and many direct statements of the New
Testament that we are not under the law but that it ceased at the
cross. 2. There is nothing in the text or context that says or
intimates that it is the decalogue only of which Paul
speaks. 3. Paul has argued through these three chapters that no one
has ever kept the law, neither Gentiles nor Jews. So he reasons
that no one can be justified by "the law of works," but all can be
justified "by the law of faith." Chap. 3:27. Then he "concludes
that a man is justified by faith without the deeds of the law."
Verse 28. Then he anticipates that some one will object that he is
an Antinomian, setting aside all law. Verse 31. This he
denies. Because the Jewish law is abrogated, it by no means follows
that all law is abolished. So he says: "Do we then nullify law
through the faith? By no means, but we establish law."
Diaglott. This is a literal translation of the Greek and gives the
idea correctly. Paul does not say THE law, but simply LAW in
general. The definite article "the" is not used before law in the
original. Hence in this verse we understand Paul to speak of law in
general and not of "the law" of Sinai. Here are other reliable
translations of the text, giving the same idea. "Do we then make
void law through the faith? Far be it, yea, we establish law."
American Bible Union Translation. "Do we, then, make law useless
through the faith? By no means, but we establish law." Campbell,
Macknight and Dodridge. "Do we, then, make law of none effect
through faith? God forbid; nay, we establish law." Revised Version,
marginal reading. The marginal reading in this Version where it
differs from the authorized text as it does here, was supported by
two-thirds of the learned translators present at the last
reading. (See their preface.) This, then, is well supported.

Hence this text does not speak of the decalogue, nor even of the
Mosaic law, but of law in the abstract. Paul affirms that faith in
Christ does not nullify the use of law. This is exactly what I
believe. God's great moral law remains unchanged through all ages,
while particular expressions of that law adapted to local
circumstances as was the Jewish law, may be changed.

If it be insisted that this must be the law given to the Jews, then
we reply: The law would be the whole Mosaic law, not the decalogue
alone. Dr. Adam Clarke gives a sufficient answer to the
Adventists: "By law here we may understand the whole of the Mosaic
law in its rites and ceremonies, of which Jesus Christ was the
subject and the end. All that law had respect to him, and the
doctrine of faith in Jesus Christ, which the Christian religion
proclaimed, established the very claims and demands of that law, by
showing that all was accomplished in the passion and death of
Christ." On Rom. 3:31. So this text in no way favors the Adventist
idea, though it is their main hope.

The entire book can be read online here:

http://web2.iadfw.net/billtod/renounce.htm

This website may also be found interesting:

http://www.sabbaths.org/sabbath.html

Bob
2004-06-06 22:43:45 EST
Katrina Bloomfield wrote:
> dkupp@harborside.com (Donna Kupp) wrote:
>
>>The Ten Commandments with their moral precepts
>> were NOT ABOLISHED AT THE CROSS!
>>They are engraved upon the hearts of the people of God.
>>
>>Please listen to the following words of Paul (The writer of
>>Galatians) and filter all his hard-to-understand, obscure
>>verses through these few clear words:
>>
>> "Do we then make void the law **through faith**?
>> God forbid: yea,
>> WE ESTABLISH THE LAW." Rom 3:31 (KJV)
>>
>>WE ESTABLISH THE LAW!
>> WE ESTABLISH THE LAW!
>> WE ESTABLISH THE LAW!
>>
>>We must use those four words as a touchstone to test all
>>doctrines based upon the epistles of Paul.
>

> You might be interested to learn that the word "the" does not appear
> before the word "law" in Romans 3:31 in the original Greek language.
> Therefore, the "touchstone" is this:
>
> WE ESTABLISH LAW!
> WE ESTABLISH LAW!
> WE ESTABLISH LAW!

Thanks. That makes much more sense in the context.

> [...]
> circumstances as was the Jewish law, may be changed.
>
> If it be insisted that this must be the law given to the Jews, then
> we reply: The law would be the whole Mosaic law, not the decalogue
> alone. Dr. Adam Clarke gives a sufficient answer to the
> Adventists: "By law here we may understand the whole of the Mosaic
> law in its rites and ceremonies, of which Jesus Christ was the
> subject and the end. All that law had respect to him, and the
> doctrine of faith in Jesus Christ, which the Christian religion
> proclaimed, established the very claims and demands of that law, by
> showing that all was accomplished in the passion and death of
> Christ." On Rom. 3:31. So this text in no way favors the Adventist
> idea, though it is their main hope.
>

> The entire book can be read online here:
>
> http://web2.iadfw.net/billtod/renounce.htm
>

> This website may also be found interesting:

John
2004-06-07 08:22:59 EST

"Katrina Bloomfield" <katrina_bloomfield@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> [...]
> circumstances as was the Jewish law, may be changed.
>
> If it be insisted that this must be the law given to the Jews, then
> we reply: The law would be the whole Mosaic law, not the decalogue
> alone. Dr. Adam Clarke gives a sufficient answer to the
> Adventists: "By law here we may understand the whole of the Mosaic
> law in its rites and ceremonies, of which Jesus Christ was the
> subject and the end. All that law had respect to him, and the
> doctrine of faith in Jesus Christ, which the Christian religion
> proclaimed, established the very claims and demands of that law, by
> showing that all was accomplished in the passion and death of
> Christ." On Rom. 3:31. So this text in no way favors the Adventist
> idea, though it is their main hope.
>

> The entire book can be read online here:
>
> http://web2.iadfw.net/billtod/renounce.htm
>

> This website may also be found interesting:

Problem is, the Sabbath existed prior to the Decalougue being given.
http://www2.andrews.edu/~samuele/books/sabbath_under_xfire/5.htm