Waffle Discussion: No Dance Tonight...

No Dance Tonight...

Bob Kirkpatrick
1991-04-08 14:50:45 EST
I'm having (have been for a while here) a problem getting a handshake between
a pc running waffle 1.64, and a unix host. (actually, either one of two unix
hosts)

Entries on the pc side:

\waffle\system\systems : entries triple checked, and compared with
the systems files of other successful
waffle installs.

\waffle\system\static : entries triple checked, and compared with
the static files of other successful
waffle installs.

/usr/lib/uucp/L.sys ; entries the same as other functional uucp
nodes.

/usr/lib/uucp/USERFILE : entries the same as other functional uucp
nodes.

each of the two unix hosts have been communicating by uucp for a *long*
time with no problems whatsoever. I've checked every way I can think of.

The systems, pc and unix host, connect. uucp logs into the host, passing
the login: and password: prompts easily. The systems identify to each
other, the host giving the Shere= and my pc giving the Rxxxxxx response.
then:

rmsg sync 10
Cannot Tango - reason: RLOGIN

and that about does it. Does _anyone_ have any suggestions? This is making
me zonkers! I have tried to see if it's a matter of hated nodenames, node
name length, small typos in the support files on either system. Because the
unix boxes communicate flawlessly, and waffle does exactly the same abort
talking to either unix host, I'm pretty sure there is something amiss on
the pc side.

HELP!

please reply: bobk@isc-br!tau-ceti

thanks in advance

Bob K.
Bob Kirkpatrick - Dog Ear'd Systems |
A division of Brand-X of Spokane WA | "Einstein was probably one of *them*."

Greg Andrews
1991-04-09 21:44:45 EST
In article <320@dogear.UUCP> root@dogear.UUCP (Bob Kirkpatrick) writes:

>The systems, pc and unix host, connect. uucp logs into the host, passing
>the login: and password: prompts easily. The systems identify to each
>other, the host giving the Shere= and my pc giving the Rxxxxxx response.
>then:
>
>rmsg sync 10
>Cannot Tango - reason: RLOGIN
>
>and that about does it. Does _anyone_ have any suggestions?

According to the references I have, "RLOGIN" is an error message
returned by the answering system. It means that the login name you
used (not your computer's nodename or machine name, but the name you
typed at the login: prompt) is not recognized by the host as valid
for uucp.

This usually means the login name is missing from the host's
USERFILE or Permissions file. Perhaps they have a different
nodename listed for your login? Some systems truncate the node
name to 7 or 8 characters. Maybe this is causing a mismatch between
the nodename you send and the nodename they are expecting? Also
watch out for unusual characters in the nodename - I've seen reports
of systems that can't pass characters like '-' in the "Shere=xxxx"
exchange...

--
.------------------------------------------------------------------------.
| Greg Andrews | UUCP: {apple,amdahl,claris}!netcom!gandrews |

Jonathan R. Herr
1991-04-10 21:53:30 EST
In article <320@dogear.UUCP> root@dogear.UUCP (Bob Kirkpatrick) writes:
>I'm having (have been for a while here) a problem getting a handshake between
>a pc running waffle 1.64, and a unix host. (actually, either one of two unix
>hosts)

[ ... ]
> I've checked every way I can think of.

[ ... ]

>rmsg sync 10
>Cannot Tango - reason: RLOGIN

[ ... ]

>Does _anyone_ have any suggestions?

Read the network.doc file. See the section about running uucico.
--
Jonathan R. Herr | herrj@valnet.uucp | I know to trip
h*j@silver.ucs.indiana.edu| uunet!iuvax!valnet!herrj | is just to fall.