Vegetarian Discussion: Sealer Admits Killing Seals For "Fun"

Sealer Admits Killing Seals For "Fun"

Pearl
2007-04-22 12:22:14 EST
"Nobody" <not@home.anymore> wrote in message news:Xns990FC17314251v2rt@204.153.245.131...
> pearl wrote:
> > "Stylish" <nospam@this.email> wrote in message
..
> >> I don't get this. I've never seen a seal fur garment in my life.
> >> Where does all the seal fur go? Who uses it?
..
> > This is how it looks: http://www.harpseals.org/hunt/pelts.html .
>
> I see you still use a web page that shows the seal pup with white
> fur.

Just a few days younger than the seals killed for those coats.

> You should look at this page and notice the rather LARGE increases in
> exports every year. This is contrary to what you say your efforts
> are doing.

'Sealer Admits Killing Seals for "Fun"

Desmond Adams was quoted today in the Newfoundland media as
saying, "We all go out for the love of it rather than the money, which
isn't there anymore."

Which means, of course, that the Canadian taxpayer is now currently
paying the bill in millions of dollars to provide four full time ice-breakers
to assist a bunch of thugs who sadistically bash in the heads of seal pups
for pleasure.

Some 400 sealers on about 100 small boats remain trapped in heavy ice
off the Eastern coast of Newfoundland in one of the heaviest ice jams in
memory.

Unable to break the boats free, the Canadian Coast Guard has turned
errand boys for the sealers flying in groceries to the stranded boats.

The sealers are complaining of boredom according to the Newfoundland
newspaper, the Western Star.

"The poor men," said Sea Shepherd ship's cook Laura Dakin. "Having
to sit out there without being able to kill any baby seals. Their boredom
makes me very happy knowing that seal pups are not being slaughtered.

Over 60,000 seal pups are available under the quota of 275,000. Over
200,000 have already been clubbed or slaughtered. This does not take
into account the estimated 250,000 pups killed by diminished ice
conditions in the Gulf of St. Lawrence last month.

Adams, who kills seals for fun, was also sharply critical of his fellow
sealers who have been laughing off the danger they are in. "Very few will
admit it, but what's happening is extremely dangerous," he said. "They
act like clowns about it; they just shrug it off. And I think they'll get away
with it this time. But if there were sustained very strong winds, which can
happen with very little warning here, then you'd have a major catastrophe.
They'd all go down, including the icebreakers, with all hands lost."

"None of these boats, big or small, is registered for ice and some insurance
companies won't cover you for the seal hunt," continued Adams. "Others,
the ice-damage deductible is so high, no one ever reports damage. We just
fix it ourselves. But these little boats are eggshells; they're that fragile. You
could crush them like that."

The Canadian government has acted very irresponsibly in allowing vessels
that are not ice-strengthened to venture into these conditions.

"There is a double standard," said Captain Paul Watson. "My ship, the
Farley Mowat, is an ice-class ship and I have more experience in
navigating in ice conditions than most of these sealers, but the Coast Guard
did everything they could to prevent us from going into the ice to save seals
- citing their concerns for our "safety".

Adams also said that the hunt continues not for the money but because the
government wants it to continue.

"No one's going to stop hunting if they don't have to. We need someone to
tell us, `No, this is too dangerous. You can't do it.' Newfoundlanders are
good at following orders. They've told us we can't fish and we can't do this
or that. And we don't."

No one's getting rich from the seal hunt, he said. "At least not among the
hunters. The price of pelts is down to about $55 - about half what it used
to be."

Not only that, the ice crisis means the sealers will be delayed in getting back
to their main livelihood - crab fishing and shrimping. "The later you take a
crab, the worse the quality. We're getting hurt."

These comments from a veteran sealer certainly contradict the position of
the Canadian Department of Fisheries and Oceans that the seal hunt is an
economic necessity.

Check out the story at:
http://www.thestar.com/News/article/205683

Captain Paul Watson
Founder and President of the Sea Shepherd Conservation Society (1977-
Co-Founder - The Greenpeace Foundation (1972)
Co-Founder - Greenpeace International (1979)
Director of the Sierra Club USA (2003-2006)
Director - The Farley Mowat Institute
Director - www.harpseals.org

www.Seashepherd.org
[...]
__._,_.___

The Right One
2007-04-22 12:54:06 EST

http://www.rightpoint.org/indexim/fur.jpg

--
Terry Pearson
Internationally Syndicated
Conservative Commentator
http://www.rightpoint.org
Shaping Canada's Destiny
==========================
Karen Gordon stumped on:
- Softwood
- Gun Registry
- Global Warming
- Democracy
==========================
"I can walk upright"
~Peter White
Ahahahahahahhahahahahahahaa
"My word stands the test of time"
~Cherranna Joe
Ahahahahahahahaahaa
Watch me delete my posts!
~Dumbski
Ahahahahahahahahahahahahaa
=========================
There are more reputable scientists
defending astrology than defending
"global warming,"
~Ann Coulter

Nobody
2007-04-22 13:48:07 EST
pearl wrote:

> "Nobody" <not@home.anymore> wrote in message
>> pearl wrote:
>> > "Stylish" <nospam@this.email> wrote in message
> ..
> ..
>> > This is how it looks: http://www.harpseals.org/hunt/pelts.html
>> > .
>>
>> I see you still use a web page that shows the seal pup with white
>> fur.
>
> Just a few days younger than the seals killed for those coats.

Actually pearl, the seals now killed are several days OLDER than the
whitecoats. They have also bee weaned and left by their mothers.

Try some actual fact for a change. Try to 'wean' yourself from the
propaganda provided by those animal rights groups.

http://geo.international.gc.ca/canada-europa/austria/pdf/Seal_hunt_
17jan05-e.pdf

>> You should look at this page and notice the rather LARGE
>> increases in exports every year. This is contrary to what you
>> say your efforts are doing.
>
> 'Sealer Admits Killing Seals for "Fun"

Your point? Why do you think people hunt deer? Because they NEED
the meat? Fun just makes it better.

Slow Burn
2007-04-22 20:05:07 EST
the Canadian government should just kill the seal will military aircraft
flying overhead shooting them as they enter the water, much better that
trying to take them out one at a time

> [...]
> hunters. The price of pelts is down to about $55 - about half what it used
> to be."
>
> Not only that, the ice crisis means the sealers will be delayed in getting
> back
> to their main livelihood - crab fishing and shrimping. "The later you take
> crab, the worse the quality. We're getting hurt."
>
> These comments from a veteran sealer certainly contradict the position of
> the Canadian Department of Fisheries and Oceans that the seal hunt is an
> economic necessity.
>
> Check out the story at:
> http://www.thestar.com/News/article/205683
>
> Captain Paul Watson
> Founder and President of the Sea Shepherd Conservation Society (1977-
> Co-Founder - The Greenpeace Foundation (1972)
> Co-Founder - Greenpeace International (1979)
> Director of the Sierra Club USA (2003-2006)

Ian MacLure
2007-04-23 00:37:43 EST
"pearl" <tea@signguestbook.ie> wrote in

> "Nobody" <not@home.anymore> wrote in message
>> pearl wrote:
>> > "Stylish" <nospam@this.email> wrote in message
> ..
> ..
>> > This is how it looks: http://www.harpseals.org/hunt/pelts.html .
>>
>> I see you still use a web page that shows the seal pup with white
>> fur.
>
> Just a few days younger than the seals killed for those coats.

And dinna ferget sporrans.

>> You should look at this page and notice the rather LARGE increases in
>> exports every year. This is contrary to what you say your efforts
>> are doing.
>
> 'Sealer Admits Killing Seals for "Fun"

Well, one should enjoy one's work.

IBM

Nomen Nescio
2007-04-23 21:40:08 EST
"pearl" wrote:

> [...]
>hunters. The price of pelts is down to about $55 - about half what it used
>to be."
>
>Not only that, the ice crisis means the sealers will be delayed in getting back
>to their main livelihood - crab fishing and shrimping. "The later you take a
>crab, the worse the quality. We're getting hurt."
>
>These comments from a veteran sealer certainly contradict the position of
>the Canadian Department of Fisheries and Oceans that the seal hunt is an
>economic necessity.
>
>Check out the story at:
>http://www.thestar.com/News/article/205683
>
>Captain Paul Watson
>Founder and President of the Sea Shepherd Conservation Society (1977-
>Co-Founder - The Greenpeace Foundation (1972)
>Co-Founder - Greenpeace International (1979)
>Director of the Sierra Club USA (2003-2006)

Just another sign that humans are lower than animals.

Nomen Nescio
2007-04-23 21:45:12 EST
"Ian MacLure" wrote:

>"pearl" <tea@signguestbook.ie> wrote in
>
>> "Nobody" <not@home.anymore> wrote in message
>> ..
>> ..
>>>
>>> I see you still use a web page that shows the seal pup with white
>>> fur.
>>
>> Just a few days younger than the seals killed for those coats.
>
> And dinna ferget sporrans.
>
>>> You should look at this page and notice the rather LARGE increases in
>>> exports every year. This is contrary to what you say your efforts
>>> are doing.
>>
>> 'Sealer Admits Killing Seals for "Fun"
>
> Well, one should enjoy one's work.

If by animal cruelty, nope on that one. you're no better than they are.

Nomen Nescio
2007-04-23 21:48:28 EST
"Nobody" wrote:

>pearl wrote:
>
>> "Nobody" <not@home.anymore> wrote in message
>> ..
>> ..
>>>
>>> I see you still use a web page that shows the seal pup with white
>>> fur.
>>
>> Just a few days younger than the seals killed for those coats.
>
>Actually pearl, the seals now killed are several days OLDER than the
>whitecoats. They have also bee weaned and left by their mothers.
>
>Try some actual fact for a change. Try to 'wean' yourself from the
>propaganda provided by those animal rights groups.
>
>http://geo.international.gc.ca/canada-europa/austria/pdf/Seal_hunt_
>17jan05-e.pdf
>

>>> You should look at this page and notice the rather LARGE
>>> increases in exports every year. This is contrary to what you
>>> say your efforts are doing.
>>
>> 'Sealer Admits Killing Seals for "Fun"
>
>Your point? Why do you think people hunt deer? Because they NEED
>the meat? Fun just makes it better.

Another dimwit speaks. Humans show themselves to be a lower order than animals.

D*@.
2007-04-23 22:19:25 EST
On 23 Apr 2007 18:40:08 -0700, Nomen Nescio <nobody@dizum.com> wrote:

>"pearl" wrote:
>
>>Over 60,000 seal pups are available under the quota of 275,000.
. . .

>Just another sign that humans are lower than animals.

Why are 275K of them to be killed?