Vegetarian Discussion: Re: HARLEQUIN LADYBIRD.

Re: HARLEQUIN LADYBIRD.

Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10   Next  (First | Last)

Old Codger
2007-04-16 11:40:57 EST
On Sun, 15 Apr 2007 10:21:34 +0100, amacmil304@aol.com wrote:

>On 15 Apr 2007 01:33:28 -0700, "Brin"
><bernard.featherstone@ntlworld.com> wrote:
>
>>The Harlequin Ladybird is no ordinary ladybird. It is the most
>>invasive on earth and it is a "killer". It eats aphids but it also
>>eats other Ladybirds,butterfly eggs,lacewing larva etc.
>>It arrived in the UK in 2004 From the USA where it has decimated some
>>native ladybird populations.An on-line survey has been launched to try
>>to chart its progress in the UK.For more details of the Harlequin and
>>the survey go to:-
>> http;//www.harlequin-survey.org
>>I will do the survey and have made a pledge to that effect on
>>Pledgebank.I am looking for 10 other environmentally minded people to
>>do the same.If I get the 10 I am hoping to get some publicity in the
>>media for the survey.Have a look at the pledge,its simple and any co-
>>signees would remain anonymous. Go to:-
>> http://www.pledgebank.com/killerladybird
>>
>>Please help. Remember what has happened to our native Red Squirrel
>>since the introduction of the Grey Sqirrel.

For that gross ignorance there is no doubt you are a dickhead, and
therefore make the whole post worthless.

>After some grants, Brin?

Just a dickhead.

> [...]
>The Greys' ancestors were brought here from America, just as the
>present population of non-indigenous Reds were brought here from
>Europe. Indeed, there is no evidence to show that the so-called past
>"indigenous" population was not introduced here as well.
>Archaeological evidence of their existence in England after the last
>ice age is both sketchy and inconclusive.
>
>· The idea that genetically different animals within the
>wide-ranging flux of a species can be "re-introduced" because they
>look similar is not only the product of sloppy science but on or over
>the verge of dishonesty. It's a bit like passing off a reproduction
>for an antique.
>
>· The indigenous Red population, if there ever was such a thing,
>was shot to extinction (confirmed by the Forestry Commission) by
>estate owners and the like, who referred to them in the past as
>"tree-rats" - the very same term as is now being used against Greys to
>demonise them in the eyes of the general public. Red squirrels were as
>much a "pest" as Greys, to those who regarded them with intolerance.
>
>· The squirrel-pox virus can be passed from Red to Red as well
>as Grey to Red, and Red squirrel populations are now showing signs of
>antibodies similar to that which provides the Greys with immunity.
>This natural process will eventually protect the Reds. In reality,
>very few Greys are carriers of this disease and it is as unfair as it
>is obscene to slaughter them indiscriminately on the premise of a
>possibility. Indeed, red populations have succumbed to virus
>infection in the past, long before greys came on the scene.
>
>· The political and grant grabbing fad of planting native
>broadleaf trees favours the expansion of Grey squirrels. This is well
>known to conservationists, yet in only a very few places are they
>willing to deviate from this path because of the money and politics
>involved.
>
>· Scottish Natural Heritage is the leading protagonist in this
>drive against Grey squirrels. They are in the unique position of being
>advisors to government who in turn provides them with the necessary
>funding to carry out whatever they manage to convince the government
>is necessary. This is an unhealthy and unbroken ring that requires a
>continuous flow of environmental crisises to fund their existence and
>regrettably this results in persecution of wildlife unheard of in the
>past. Sadly, they are adopting the same principle of ethnic cleansing
>against wildlife as numerous brutal regimes have done against human
>populations. It is a scientific fact that those who have little regard
>for animal life are the most likely to have little regard for humans.
>This intolerance should have no part in a civilised society.
>
>Squirrels are not "ours", no matter what colour they are. We don't own
>them. They are independent and parallel mammalian populations to our
>own and we should afford them the same respect and freedom we expect

Here, here. CONservation hooliganism is the greatest danger to
conservation, which is why it attracts gold digging criminals like
Malcolm Ogilvie et al. Just take a look at his posting history.

http://tinyurl.com/3dpkfw

Old Codger
2007-04-16 11:51:18 EST
Call for the lynx to walk the wilds again

http://tinyurl.com/3x4sjm

They last stalked through Britain's forests more than 1,000 years ago.
Now moves are afoot to bring back the Eurasian lynx as the country's
top predator.

Ecologists are calling for the beasts to be released into the wild
after research which found that Britain could support up to 500 of the
animals.

That would provide one of the largest populations in Europe.

Campaigners claim that the cats, which mainly hunt small deer, would
provide a valuable boost to tourism while also helping to contain deer
numbers and so protect woodland areas, which can be devastated by
grazing herds.

The lynx is the latest in a series of animal reintroductions to be
proposed, following other long-extinct species such as wolves and
beavers.

Under European legislation, member states are obliged to consider
reintroducing species where they have been made extinct by human
activity and whose survival is considered critical.

Lynx numbers have dwindled to fewer than 50,000 worldwide and the cat
is listed on the World Conservation Union's red list of threatened
species.

"There is plenty of prey here in the UK to support a thriving
population," said David Hetherington, an ecologist at Aberdeen
University who has been studying the feasibility of reintroducing
lynx. "There is the potential to create the fourth largest population
of lynx in Europe.

"They are shy and secretive creatures, but this makes them extremely
charismatic. The benefits in terms of tourism would be great. Those
countries that have already reintroduced lynx have seen them become
wildlife icons."

Until recently, the lynx was believed to have died out naturally in
Britain as a result of the changing climate, but it is now thought to
have been wiped out by deforestation by people in about 700AD.

Bones discovered in the Yorkshire Dales revealed that the animals had
been present in Britain during the sixth century.

Populations of Eurasian lynx were confined to pockets of Siberia and
eastern Europe until a number of European countries embarked on
reintroduction programmes. Germany, Switzerland, Poland, Slovakia and
France now all have populations of lynx. Spain has its own threatened
population of the distinctly separate Iberian lynx.

Mr Hetherington believes that reintroductions could take place in
Britain, with forests in the Highlands, Southern Uplands of Scotland
and Kielder in Northumberland supporting populations.

He said that about 30 wild lynx captured and imported from mainland
Europe would be enough to found a successful population.

He said: "Ethically, since humans were responsible for killing them
off in Britain in the first place, there is also a compelling argument
to reintroduce this beautiful and graceful creature."

Conservationists also believe that reintroducing lynx would -provide a
natural way of -controlling deer.

About 160,000 deer are culled every year in an attempt to reduce the
damage they cause to crops and woodland, while thousands of pounds are
also spent on fencing to keep the animals out.

Adam Powell, a field project manager at the conservation group Trees
for Life, said: "Reintroducing the lynx would have a balancing effect
on the environment.

"Top predators provide a natural control in deer numbers. It is not
just how many they eat but also the effect they have on the movement
of the deer and this provides an opportunity for the natural
regeneration of woodland without the deer."

But proposals to reintroduce the lynx have also met with opposition
from landowners and farmers who fear that the predators could kill
livestock.

In Switzerland last year, 15 sheep were killed by lynx, but the
numbers of livestock kills have been reduced through careful
management of the big cats.

Plans to reintroduce other animals have also met with strong
opposition, with fears that large carnivores such as wolves would
present a risk to farm animals and to people.

In 2005, ministers rejected proposals to reintroduce beavers, which
died out in Britain 400 years ago, amid fears that they could damage
woodland habitats by flooding rivers.

A spokesman for the Countryside Alliance warned that reintroducing
lynx could harm other threatened native species.

He said: "We feel it is more important to concentrate on species that
are currently under threat in the Highlands and Southern Uplands, most
specifically the wildcat and ground-nesting birds such as the
capercaillie."

A spokesman for the Scottish Executive said there were currently no
plans to issue a licence to allow the release of lynx into the wild.

Old Codger
2007-04-16 12:00:49 EST
http://www.animalaid.org.uk/h/n/NEWS/news_experiments/ALL/1556//

World Day for Laboratory Animals

April 24th marks World Day for Laboratory Animals – a day to remember
the millions who have been killed, and to redouble efforts to hasten
the end of all animal experiments. This year, Animal Aid is planning
to deliver 10,000 leaflets to members of the public in memory of the
10,000 primates who are used in laboratories across Europe each year.
This initiative is proving to be massively popular, with a record
number of participants signing up.

Thousands of primates are poisoned to death every year inside British
laboratories and hundreds more are subjected to appalling brain
experiments. The Europe-wide campaign to end primate experiments has
united animal protection groups as well as compassionate MPs and
scientists across the continent. New EU legislation could mean an end
to the use of primates – our closest evolutionary relatives – in
laboratories. To achieve this, the public must see what really happens
to animals inside testing facilities and understand why research using
animals is so overwhelmingly unreliable. Delivering the leaflet –
which contains no gruesome images – is a powerful way to garner
support for this vital campaign.

If you would like to add your support to this initiative, please order
leaflets.

Around the world, events will take place to mark World Day for
Laboratory Animals. In the UK, a day of meditation and reflection has
been organised in Oxford on Saturday 28th April. The day will begin
with speeches, followed by a period of reflection. A silent walk
through the city centre will end at the site for the proposed new
animal laboratory. The day will end with a vegan picnic. For more
information, contact John on 0777 195 3465 or email
j*l@yahoo.co.uk.

Old Codger
2007-04-16 12:03:38 EST
http://www.animalaid.org.uk/h/n/AA/HOME/

Aintree 2007 kills two horses and leaves two more fighting for their
lives
The 2007 Grand National meeting at Aintree has left two horses dead
and two more fighting for their lives at the Liverpool Veterinary
College.

The John Smith’s sponsored Grand National Race saw just 12 of the 40
horses complete the gruelling 4 and a half mile course. Whilst no
horses died on the track, Graphic Approach, who fell at the notorious
Becher’s Brook fence, collapsed with concussion a mile from where he
fell. In the mayhem, he ran loose and went down once more after
jumping a rail and colliding with three onlookers. He was taken to
Liverpool Veterinary College where the next 48 hours will be crucial
to his survival.

Also at the Veterinary College is Patman Du Charman who fell whilst
racing on the National course on Friday.

Over the three days of racing at the 2007 Grand National Meeting at
Aintree, two horses lost their lives: Into The Shadows died on
Thursday during a hurdle race and Lord Rodney died at the infamous
Chair fence on Friday, having suffered fatal injuries after being
brought down by fallen horses.

The winning and third jockeys in the Grand National were found to have
made 'excessive and forceful' use of the whip, however, they retained
their winning status.

ANIMAL AID BACKGROUND NOTES ON THE HORSERACING INDUSTRY
Numbers
Approximately 15,000 foals are born into closely-related British and
Irish racing industries each year, yet only a third go on to become
racers. Those horses who do not make the grade may be slaughtered for
meat or repeatedly change hands in a downward spiral of neglect.
Around 5,000 horses leave racing every year - the same number who
enter it. Only a comparatively small proportion of the animals go on
to become breeders or enjoy a decent, properly financed retirement.
Injuries & Deaths
An Animal Aid study of available evidence - including 15,000 pages of
race results - shows that around 375 horses are raced to death every
year.
Some 30% of these fatalities occur during, or immediately after, a
race, and result from a broken leg, back, neck or pelvis; fatal spinal
injuries; heart attack; or burst blood vessels. The other victims
perish from training injuries or are killed after being assessed by
their owners as no-hopers.
Serious racing-related illnesses are now endemic. 82% of flat race
horses older than three years of age suffer from bleeding lungs
(exercise-induced pulmonary haemorrhage). Gastric ulcers are present
in no fewer than 93% of horses in training, in whom the condition gets
progressively worse. When horses are retired, the condition improves.
Breeding
During a six month breeding season stallions can be required to cover
three mares a day. Whereas 30 years ago, covering 100 mares in a year
was almost unheard of, it is now routine for leading stallions to have
200 broodmares on their books.
Outside of the breeding shed, stallions are kept well separated from
mares and other males. When not housed in their stable, they are
confined behind high fences. And to minimise any chance of a costly
injury, insurance policies usually state that they must not be ridden.
It is a life of near isolation and deadening routine that - barring
physical breakdown - can go on for 20 or more years.
Breeding females are subjected to drugs and prolonged periods of
artificial light to control and speed up reproduction.
Left to their own devices, mares in the wild have one foal every two
years, or perhaps twice every three years. They deliver in the spring,
after a pregnancy lasting 11 months. The racing industry forces
healthy and fertile mares to produce a foal every year - as soon after
January 1 as possible. The commercial advantage of being born close to
January 1 arises from the fact that they would be one year old and
likely to fetch a better price at the crucial yearling sales than a
horse that is, say, 9 months old.
In 1957, precisely 7,826 mares were retained for breeding purposes in
Britain and Ireland. Together, they produced 4,254 live foals. By
2003, the figures had tripled. 26,204 mares were employed and produced
16,008 living foals.
National Hunt (Jump) racing
The majority of fatalities occur in jump racing. Horses used to be
selectively bred for this sector. They were heavier-boned and more
robust than the faster animals racing on the flat. Because of the
increasing emphasis on speed in all racing sectors, horses entered
into jump races are now more often 'cast-offs' from the flat. Deaths,
as a consequence, are more common.
The four most hazardous of all the country's courses are run by
racing's former regulatory body, the Jockey Club. These are
Cheltenham, Aintree, Warwick and Carlisle.
Grand National: Since 1997, 32 horses have died at the three-day
annual meeting. The Grand National's fences are of variable height,
with the most imposing being The Chair. It is some 5 ft 2in. high and
has a huge ditch and spread. The Becher's Brook fence is an infamous
killer. Terivic was its latest victim - in April 2006.
Cheltenham: This is the most hazardous of all Britain's 59 courses. In
2006, 10 horses died at the Cheltenham Festival, while nine died in
the previous three festivals. Cheltenham's downhill fences are
notorious and over many decades have killed seasoned and novice horses
alike. Even if they clear the fence rather than running into it,
gravity can tend to bring them headfirst to the ground upon landing.
>From just 54 days racing at the course, between seasons 2000/01 and
2003/04, there were no fewer than 21 on-course deaths.
Flat racing
Whereas bone fractures in animals racing on the flat were once
comparatively rare, the attrition rate is now approaching that of jump
racers. Amongst a typical group of 100 flat-racing horses, one
fracture will occur every month.
In the 2006 Epsom Derby, top race horse Horatio Nelson was destroyed
after sustaining catastrophic injuries, including fractured cannon and
sesamoid bones, a dislocated fetlock joint and open wounds that
exposed severe damage to blood vessels, nerves and ligaments.
Whipping
Hitting a racehorse with a whip of a specified design is regarded as
acceptable by the racing authorities in Britain - namely the
Horseracing Regulatory Authority (which regulates and enforces the
rules), and the British Horse Racing Board (which helps organise, fund
and promote racing).
Advocates of the whip argue that it assists horses to perform better
and run more safely and that it provides helpful chastisement for when
they behave 'badly'. Our report, A Hiding to Nothing (a meticulous
analysis of 161 races involving 1500 horses, that were run between
October and November 2003), shows that whipping horses is more likely
to drive them off a true line and place them and other horses in
danger. The same evidence shows that whipping horses is less likely to
produce an 'improvement' in behaviour. Rather, they become fearful,
hesitant and less likely to perform to their potential.
The report also shows that horses in a state of total exhaustion and
out of contention were beaten. The whip was used on the neck and
shoulders, as well as on the hindquarters. Horses being whipped 20, or
even 30 or more times during a race was observed. Though the Jockey
Club rules were breached numerous times, regulatory stewards took no
action.
40 of the 161 races featured in the survey (around 25%) were won by
horses who were not subjected to any whipping.
Retirement
The Horserace Betting Levy Board (racing's principal funding body) was
established in the early 1960s when gambling laws were eased. It takes
10% of bookmakers' annual gross profits and re-channels them into the
industry and its associated activities. For 2006, the Levy Board was
able to draw on close to £100 million. Scandalously, it thought fit to
donate just £54,000 to Racehorse Rehabilitation and Retraining. This
is an insultingly small amount (0.05% of the Levy's total income)
considering that some 5,000 horses leave racing each year. There is an
equal or an even greater need with respect to the annual 'crop' of
Thoroughbreds who are produced for racing but never set foot on a
racecourse. They are, instead, destroyed, sold off or given away to be
used in other equestrian events.
ACTION POINTS
The following initiatives would have an important impact on the
welfare of Thoroughbred horses. We need your assistance to ensure they
are implemented.

The publication of comprehensive data on equine mortality, sickness
and injury.
A ban on the whip. It is not merely cruel, but our research shows that
it is counterproductive from the point of view of the rider.
A proper fund for retired Thoroughbreds.
An independent audit of all racecourses to determine what immediate
steps can be taken to reduce mortality and injury. This would be done
with reference to data on where and how horses have died and been
injured.
A ban on the Grand National - a deliberately punishing and hazardous
race.

Old Codger
2007-04-16 12:05:51 EST
League thanks local people for their support

http://www.league.org.uk/news_details.asp?NewsID=904
The North West League Against Cruel Sports has welcomed the decision
by the Hoghton Tower gamebird shoot in Lancashire, to end the mindless
slaughter of ducks for sport.

Following a year-long campaign against the shoot, the League credits
the many local people who took part in their regular protests outside
the shooting estate, as being crucial in bringing about this victory.

Jeanne Young, of the North West group says: “This is a great step
forward in our campaign to bring an end to all gamebird shooting at
Hoghton Tower. However, we must not be complacent, pheasants are still
shot for ‘sport’ on the estate, and we will continue to protest until
this too is brought to an end.”

The League filmed the activities of the shooters at Hoghton in October
2005, which revealed wounded birds twitching in agony as the shooters
left them to die, more concerned with their next target than with the
suffering caused.

Old Codger
2007-04-16 12:06:42 EST
Irish Public Want To See Hunting Banned

http://www.league.org.uk/news_details.asp?NewsID=902
The Irish public have sent out a clear message that they think hunting
is cruel and should be banned. Sixty eight percent of respondents to a
Millward Brown poll thought hunting cruel, with a massive 64%
supporting a ban. A tiny 15% think it humane.

Only 19% thought it should remain legal with 16% saying they didn’t
know. Those wanting a ban were in a clear majority in both rural and
urban areas.. The results of this poll come just as the hunting season
is drawing to a close.

Fionna Smyth, League Against Cruel Sports Northern Ireland campaigner
said:

“This is a deeply unpopular “sport”, and it is grotesque that it
should be allowed to continue in a civilised society. It simply allows
a minority of bloodsports enthusiasts to chase our wildlife for hours
until it is exhausted and then ripped to pieces.

“It is ineffective predator control and causes significant havoc for
many countryside dwellers, who have their livestock distressed and
family pets ripped apart. This result shows us what we have known for
a long time. The Irish public think hunting is cruel and should be
banned.”

-ends-

1. The research was conducted by Millward Brown Ulster utilising the
Ireland Omnibus Survey. 978 face-to-face interviews were carried out
between 23rd January and 3rd February 2007 at 62 randomly selected
sampling points throughout the Republic of Ireland. Sampling was
quota
controlled to ensure that the sample was representative in terms of
sex,
age, and socio-economic class, and all aspects of the research were
conducted in conformance with the Code of Conduct of the Market
Research
Society.

Sam
2007-04-16 17:59:58 EST
Old Codger wrote:
> http://www.animalaid.org.uk/h/n/AA/HOME/
>
> Aintree 2007 kills two horses and leaves two more fighting for their
> lives
> The 2007 Grand National meeting at Aintree has left two horses dead
> and two more fighting for their lives at the Liverpool Veterinary
> College.

Becher's Brook - the Horsemeat Hurdle.
Tens of thousands of guineas on one side
and their weight in horsemeat on the other.

Sam,

ps. I backed Ballycassidy.

Fata Morgana
2007-04-17 12:42:27 EST

"Old Codger" <oldtodger@anyolewhere.net> wrote in message
> On Sun, 15 Apr 2007 10:21:34 +0100, amacmil304@aol.com wrote:

Fortunately you are such a pratt that you are recognised and ignored even
when you fake someone elses
uid.

However you should bare in mind that forging an id comes under the computer
mis-use act and is a criminal offence and that
you have chosed to forge the identity of someone from the UK defence
industry, which in these anti-terrorist days and
police over-reaction could get you a 90 day interogration without benifit of
a magistrate.

Pete ‹•¿•›
2007-04-17 13:00:43 EST
On Tue, 17 Apr 2007 17:42:27 +0100, "Fata Morgana"
<*d@buddenbrooks.demon.co.uk> wrote:

>"Old Codger" <oldcodger@eurosceptics.com> wrote in message
>> On Sun, 15 Apr 2007 10:21:34 +0100, amacmil304@aol.com wrote:
>>

> Fortunately you are such a pratt that you are recognised and ignored even
>when you fake someone elses
>uid.
>
> However you should bare

As in grizzly or just titties?

> in mind that forging an id comes under the computer
>mis-use act and is a criminal offence and that
>you have chosed to forge the identity of someone from the UK defence
>industry, which in these anti-terrorist days and
>police over-reaction could get you a 90 day interogration without benifit of
>a magistrate.

Go for it then pisshead, lets see how far you get for a big fatarse,
you clearly have no idea what forgery is!

You'll need to get up early in the morning to beat this rap!

Here's something else you can add, seeing you're craving attention...

f*a@buddenbrooks.demon.co.uk

f*e@buddenbrooks.demon.co.uk

I*r@buddenbrooks.demon.co.uk

s*r@buddenbrooks.demon.co.uk

b*y@buddenbrooks.demon.co.uk

z*o@buddenbrooks.demon.co.uk

l*r@buddenbrooks.demon.co.uk

m*l@buddenbrooks.demon.co.uk
--

Avoid the rush at the last judgement. Be converted now instead!

PRAYER FOR A NATION

When Pastor Joe Wright, of Central Christian Church, was asked
to open the new session of the Kansas Senate, everyone was expecting
the usual politically correct generalities.
But what they heard instead was this:

Heavenly Father, we come before You today to ask Your forgiveness
and seek your direction and guidance.
We know Your Word says,
‘Woe on those who call evil good,’ but that’s exactly what we have done.
We have lost our spiritual equilibrium and inverted our values.

We confess that:

We have ridiculed the absolute truth of Your Word and called it pluralism;

We have, worshipped other gods and called it multiculturalism;

We have endorsed perversion and called it an alternative lifestyle;

We have exploited the poor and called it the lottery;

We have neglected the needy and called it self-preservation;

We have killed our unborn and called it choice;

We have neglected to discipline our children and called it building self-esteem;

We have abused power and called it political savvy;

We have coveted our neighbour’s possessions and called it ambition;

We have polluted the air with profanity and pornography and called it freedom of expression;

We have ridiculed the time-honoured values of our forefathers and called it enlightenment.

Search us, 0 God, and know our hearts today; try us and see if there be some wicked way in us;
cleanse us from every sin and set us free. Guide and bless these men and women who have
been sent here by the people of Kansas, and who have been ordained by You, to govern this great state.

Grant them Your wisdom to rule and may their decisions direct us to the centre of Your will. I ask it in the name of Your Son, the Living Saviour, Jesus Christ. Amen.”

****************

Disclaimer

Pete has taken all reasonable care to ensure that pages published by him
were accurate on the date of publication or last modification.
Other pages which may be linked or which Pete may have published are in
a personal capacity. Pete takes no responsibility for the consequences
of error or for any loss or damage suffered by users of any of the information
published on any of these pages, and such information does not form any
basis of a contract with readers or users of it.

It is in the nature of Usenet & Web sites, that much of the information is
experimental or constantly changing, that information published may
be for test purposes only, may be out of date, or may be the personal
opinion of the author.
Readers should verify information gained from the Web/Usenet with the appropriate
authorities before relying on it.

Should you no longer wish to read this material or content, please use your
newsreaders kill filter by adding Malcolm@indaal.demon.co.uk to your kill file..

Pete ‹•¿•›
2007-04-17 13:09:57 EST
>On Tue, 17 Apr 2007 17:42:27 +0100, "Fata Morgana"
><dickheadnetkopper@buddenbrooks.demon.co.uk> wrote:
>

>>"Old Codger" <oldcodger@eurosceptics.com> wrote in message

>>>I hate women now that I am too old to enjoy their company, I find animals far more expressive of my needs and urges.

>> Fortunately you are such a pratt that you are recognised and ignored

I agree, he needs castration does our old todger!

>Here's something else you can add, seeing you're craving attention...
>
>*a@buddenbrooks.demon.co.uk
>
>*e@buddenbrooks.demon.co.uk
>
>*r@buddenbrooks.demon.co.uk
>
>*r@buddenbrooks.demon.co.uk