Vegetarian Discussion: Canada's Annual Ritual Of Shame Began Today

Canada's Annual Ritual Of Shame Began Today

Pearl
2007-04-03 08:36:23 EST
Canada's Annual Ritual of Shame Began Today

Mon, 2 Apr 2007 16:56:56 -0700

Report from Captain Paul Watson

This morning, the hot blood of the baby seals began to cool
and congeal on scattered patches of ice where surviving harp
seals lay.

After weeks of mass horrific mass drownings, as baby seals
slipped from melting, crumbling and broken ice in the cold
blackness of the Atlantic, the merciless clubs of Canada's
hordes of barbaric sealers began to once again smash
mercilessly in the fragile skulls of defenceless seal pups.

The perverse slaughter of baby harp seals has begun and
this after an estimated one quarter of all the seals born this
year have already perished due to the consequences of
global warming. Canada wants to kill 275,000 survivors and
the sealing boats are scouring the shore fast ice and searching
for scattered pans to unleash their club toting thugs upon the
defenceless.

The slaughter is underway, the largest massacre of marine
mammals on the planet and it has been sanctioned by a
Newfoundlander who holds the position of Minister for
Fisheries and Oceans. He has this week demonstrated a
complete and utter contempt for the science and the reality
of global warming and has set the kill quotas solely for the
purpose of appeasing the seal hating fishermen of
Newfoundland .

What has been an annual tragedy of immense proportions is
now despicably more abhorrent considering that the killers
are dispatching survivors of hellish conditions on broken
and melting ice floes. These seals have struggled and suffered
to survive the natural elements and now they lay upon small
pans of broken ice with no means of defence or escape.

What a cowardly bunch these baby killers are. They are an
embarrassment to Canada and as a twelfth generation Canadian
whose family is rooted in the Maritimes, I am disgusted at the
brutality and the obscenity of this mass slaughter on the ice in
the ravaged nurseries off the Eastern Canadian shore.

I am unable to go to the area this year because of a court order
that bans me from half my own country. I was convicted
recently of the crime of witnessing a seal being killed and
ordered to pay a $3,000 fine and prohibited from entry to the
Atlantic coast for two years.

We associate being banned with apartheid in the former white
ruled South Africa and now Canadians are being banned for
simply witnessing an atrocity in Canadian territory.

Canada argues that the seal "hunt" is the most humane well
regulated animal hunt in the world. If so then why is it a crime
to witness or document it?

But more importantly why are sealers being allowed to savage
the survivors of the greatest die-off of seals in history due to
global warming? Adding a quota of 275,000 seals to an estimated
250,000 killed by lack of ice gives us a staggering 525,000 seal
deaths for 2007.

This is not a hunt, it is a massacre. It is an attempt to exterminate
a species.

The Canadian government will argue that this is not so. Why
would they wipe out the seals that sealers depend upon for their
livelihood? The same argument was made in defence of
over-fishing of the cod. The cod were wiped out and will never
recover because of the incredible arrogance and ignorance of
the Canadian Department of Fisheries and Oceans.

The harp seals are being systematically exterminated and the
DFO is overseeing this so called final solution because the seals
are the scapegoats for the mismanagement of the fisheries. If the
government blames the seals and promises a solution to fish
recovery with the removal of the seals, the voters will continue
to back them and since Fisheries Minister Loyola Hearn is
dependent only on the voters of Newfoundland , he need not
care for the concerns of Canadians outside of Newfoundland .

The Sea Shepherd Conservation Society predicted the
extermination of the Cod as far back as 1982, ten years
before the fishery crashed. We said in 1992 that it would not
recover and it has and will not recover.

We are predicting now that unless these madmen at the helm of
DFO are relieved, the harp seals will be driven into the oblivion
of extinction because of over-hunting and global warming.

Although we cannot get a ship into the ice this year, we are
working to undermine markets for seal pelts in Europe . We
are in the courts with a lawsuit challenging that the regulations
preventing the witnessing of the slaughter are unconstitutional.
We are continuing to promote the international boycott of
Canadian seafood products and we are organizing protests
internationally.

We are working to get our ship the Farley Mowat into a position
to challenge the sealers in the Gulf of St. Lawrence in April of 2008.

Only through massive economic pressure will Canada surrender
it's policy of brutality on the ice floes off Newfoundland . We
must work to intensify this pressure and we must work to ensure
that Canadian businesses pay a huge price to endorse the slaughter.
This level of cruelty and wanton slaughter has no place in the 21st
Century

Captain Paul Watson
Founder and President of the Sea Shepherd Conservation Society (1977-
Co-Founder - The Greenpeace Foundation (1972)
Co-Founder - Greenpeace International (1979)
Director of the Sierra Club USA (2003-2006)
Director - The Farley Mowat Institute
Director - www.harpseals.org

"Sail forth - steer for the deep waters only,
Reckless O soul, exploring, I with thee and thou with me,
For we are bound where mariner has not yet dared to go,
And we will risk the ship, ourselves and all."
- Walt Whitman

www.Seashepherd.org

SaPeIsMa
2007-04-03 09:08:15 EST

"pearl" <tea@signguestbook.ie> wrote in message
> Canada's Annual Ritual of Shame Began Today
>
> Mon, 2 Apr 2007 16:56:56 -0700
>
> Report from Captain Paul Watson
>
> This morning, the hot blood of the baby seals began to cool
> and congeal on scattered patches of ice where surviving harp
> seals lay.

<YAWN>

talk about overblown hyperbole....

Pearl
2007-04-03 10:24:36 EST
"SaPeIsMa" <SaPeIsMa@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:1314krsfervkk10@corp.supernews.com...

> "pearl" <tea@signguestbook.ie> wrote in message
> > Canada's Annual Ritual of Shame Began Today
> >
> > Mon, 2 Apr 2007 16:56:56 -0700
> >
> > Report from Captain Paul Watson
> >
> > This morning, the hot blood of the baby seals began to cool
> > and congeal on scattered patches of ice where surviving harp
> > seals lay.
> >

> <YAWN>
>
> talk about overblown hyperbole....

Only your predictably lame non-response. Go back to sleep.

Anarchore
2007-04-03 12:49:22 EST
On Tue, 3 Apr 2007 13:36:23 +0100, pearl wrote:

> seals lay.
>
> After weeks of mass horrific mass drownings, as baby seals
> slipped from melting, crumbling and broken ice in the cold
> blackness of the Atlantic, the merciless clubs of Canada's
> hordes of barbaric sealers began to once again smash
> mercilessly in the fragile skulls of defenceless seal pups.
>
> The perverse slaughter of baby harp seals has begun and
> this after an estimated one quarter of all the seals born this
> year have already perished due to the consequences of
> global warming. Canada wants to kill 275,000 survivors and
> the sealing boats are scouring the shore fast ice and searching

I hate this fucking country.

Anarchore
2007-04-03 12:51:42 EST
On Tue, 3 Apr 2007 13:36:23 +0100, pearl wrote:

> We associate being banned with apartheid in the former white
> ruled South Africa and now Canadians are being banned for
> simply witnessing an atrocity in Canadian territory.
>
> Canada argues that the seal "hunt" is the most humane well
> regulated animal hunt in the world. If so then why is it a crime
> to witness or document it?

I hate this fucking country.

Pearl
2007-04-04 15:50:53 EST
"Anarchore" <anarchore@youhoe.seeeh> wrote in message news:1q3raw27w9tv7$.8rc211vhogyr$.dlg@40tude.net...
> On Tue, 3 Apr 2007 13:36:23 +0100, pearl wrote:
>
> > We associate being banned with apartheid in the former white
> > ruled South Africa and now Canadians are being banned for
> > simply witnessing an atrocity in Canadian territory.
> >
> > Canada argues that the seal "hunt" is the most humane well
> > regulated animal hunt in the world. If so then why is it a crime
> > to witness or document it?
>
> I hate this fucking country.

Halifax Sunday Herald - March 18, 2007

DOUBLESPEAK FROM THE MINISTRY OF DEATH

by Silver Donald Cameron

The dog's frantic barking told George Garneau and Rebecca Baker
that there was something strange in their front yard in Thorburn one
Sunday morning in early March. It was a baby seal - and it was five
kilometres from the nearest salt water.

"He must have dragged himself along his belly through fields,"
Garneau told the Canadian Press. "He had to pass through forest
and roads."

What do you do with a baby seal in your front yard? Garneau and
Baker called the SPCA and other animal-welfare agencies, but
couldn't reach anyone. So they herded him into a portable dog
kennel, drove him to the nearest beach, and set him free.

"He seemed fine," said Garneau. "He was snarling and growling at
us." When they released him, the seal hot-footed it across the ice
towards the open water.

This couple did everything right. They tried to find expert help - but
failed, because it was Sunday. They devised their own plan to help
the seal, and carried it out successfully. The next sound should be
general applause.

But no. The next sound was scolding and threats from Peter Taylor,
the Department of Fisheries and Ocean's "area chief of conservation
and protection" - an amazing title in an organization whose approach
to conservation and protection amounts to criminal negligence.
Taylor said that the couple should have let DFO take over.

"Seals are protected under marine mammal regulations and so they
are not to be harrassed or harmed," said Taylor ominously. "Fishery
officers have laid charges in the past."

Got that? Assisting a stranded seal is harassment under the marine
mammal regulations. For their compassion, Garneau and Baker are
threatened with charges.

The minor outrage is the bureaucratic idiocy of that reaction. The far
deeper outrage is that DFO officials have the bare-faced effrontery to
talk as though their regulations served the welfare of wildlife. This is
Orwellian double-speak. The objective of the Seal Protection
Regulations has always been to ensure the efficient slaughter of large
numbers of seals. Look it up on DFO's website. The regulations
govern how many seals may be killed, and by what means - not more
than 245,000 baby harp seals in 1971, for instance, and not with gaffs
or small clubs, but with the wicked spiked clubs known as "hakapiks."

To call this "protection" is to sin against the English language - but the
regulations moved on to sin against democracy and civil rights in 1977,
when, as the DFO site coyly puts it, "In an effort to keep order and
good management on the ice, observer permits [were first] required
by all who wish to view the hunt. This innocent-sounding requirement
was enacted primarily to ban Greenpeace and Brigitte Bardot from the
ice floes. Under these regulations, DFO can require permits for anyone
approaching seals on the ice - but it grants those permits to sealers,
and not to protesters.

DFO's true objective was to stifle legitimate democratic protest.
Earlier, Greenpeace had sprayed whitecoat seals with non-toxic green
dye, making their pelts worthless, and Bardot had drawn the world's
media to the ice, where they had filmed the whole gory horror that is
the seal hunt - infant seals with their heads bashed in, blood spouting
from their mouths and eyes; seals skinned alive; adult seals watching
from breathing holes while their young were clubbed to death; streaks
of blood like red driveways across the white ice where heaps of pelts
had been dragged to the sealing ships.

I watched the carnage at The Front one spring myself, on the ice floes
north of Newfoundland . It was the most nauseating thing I ever saw.
And the result of all that vivid media coverage was an international
outcry which ultimately ended the seal hunt - at least for a few years.

But the hunt resumed in the 1990s, and the regulations have become ever
more draconian. In 2005, Paul Watson's Sea Shepherd Society took a
dozen observers to the ice. When they attempted to film the slaughter,
they were attacked by the sealers, arrested by the RCMP, charged under
the Seal Protection Regulations, and fined $1000 each. Those who were
not Canadian were barred from re-entering the country.

Watson himself was fined $3000 and banned from the seal hunt for two
years. If he flouts the ban, he can be charged with criminal contempt,
which allows the judge to throw the book at him.

And that's because Watson and his ilk genuinely want to protect seals.

DFO is the Ministry of Death. Its despotic, fork-tongued regulations
exist to ensure that seals can be freely slaughtered without interference
from protesters who are legitimately appalled that this country should
host the world's largest slaughter of marine wildlife. That the
regulations should be brandished at people like Garneau and Baker is
contemptible. The very existence of those regulations stains the
democratic credentials of this nation.

Silver Donald Cameron is a columnist for the Halifax Sunday Herald
and is also the author of numerous books, most recently Sailing Away
from Winter, an account of his voyage from Nova Scotia to the
Bahamas? His website address is: www.silverdonaldcameron.ca

=?iso-8859-15?Q?Eric©?=
2007-04-04 16:15:56 EST
t*a@signguestbook.ie wrote...
> "Anarchore" <anarchore@youhoe.seeeh> wrote in message news:1q3raw27w9tv7$.8rc211vhogyr$.dlg@40tude.net...
> > On Tue, 3 Apr 2007 13:36:23 +0100, pearl wrote:
> >
> > > We associate being banned with apartheid in the former white
> > > ruled South Africa and now Canadians are being banned for
> > > simply witnessing an atrocity in Canadian territory.
> > >
> > > Canada argues that the seal "hunt" is the most humane well
> > > regulated animal hunt in the world. If so then why is it a crime
> > > to witness or document it?
> >
> > I hate this fucking country.
>
> Halifax Sunday Herald - March 18, 2007
>
> DOUBLESPEAK FROM THE MINISTRY OF DEATH
>
> by Silver Donald Cameron
>
> The dog's frantic barking told George Garneau and Rebecca Baker
> that there was something strange in their front yard in Thorburn one
> Sunday morning in early March. It was a baby seal - and it was five
> kilometres from the nearest salt water.
>
> "He must have dragged himself along his belly through fields,"
> Garneau told the Canadian Press. "He had to pass through forest
> and roads."

Or some enviro-loony decided it was 'sooooo cute' & tried to adopt it as
a pet . . .

Eric

Duncan Patton
2007-04-04 16:58:01 EST
On Tue, 3 Apr 2007 13:36:23 +0100
"pearl" <tea@signguestbook.ie> wrote:

> What a cowardly bunch these baby killers are. They are an

Eggs for breakie... that's like Chicken Abortion, right?

Dhu

Paul Morgan
2007-04-04 20:54:09 EST
On Wed, 4 Apr 2007 20:50:53 +0100, "pearl" <tea@signguestbook.ie>
wrote:

Savoury seal hearts
Categories: Main dish Weird Meats
Yield: 4 Servings
1 Large seal heart
1 cup Bread crumbs or cooked rice
1 teaspoon Parsley
½ teaspoon Sage
½ teaspoon Salt
¼ teaspoon Pepper
2 tablespoon Onion flakes, softened in lukewarm water
Slices of fat bacon
2 tablespoon Melted butter

Soak the heart in salted water overnight. Wash the heart well and trim
off the fat, large veins and thread-like cords Cut the heart into
thick slices. Grease a casserole well with butter. Make a stuffing of
bread crumbs or cooked rice, parsley, sage, salt, pepper and the
onions. Toss lightly. Place the slices of heart, stuffing and slices
of fat bacon in layers, alternately in the greased casserole and top
with the melted butter. Cover tightly and bake in a moderate oven for
at least 2 hours. Serves 4. From _Northern Cookbook_ edited by Eleanor
A. Ellis, Information Canada 1973.

Pete ‹•¿•›
2007-04-05 07:33:34 EST
On Tue, 3 Apr 2007 13:36:23 +0100, "pearl" <tea@signguestbook.ie>
wrote:

> [...]
>
>Although we cannot get a ship into the ice this year, we are
>working to undermine markets for seal pelts in Europe . We
>are in the courts with a lawsuit challenging that the regulations
>preventing the witnessing of the slaughter are unconstitutional.
>We are continuing to promote the international boycott of
>Canadian seafood products and we are organizing protests
>internationally.
>
>We are working to get our ship the Farley Mowat into a position
>to challenge the sealers in the Gulf of St. Lawrence in April of 2008.
>
>Only through massive economic pressure will Canada surrender
>it's policy of brutality on the ice floes off Newfoundland . We
>must work to intensify this pressure and we must work to ensure
>that Canadian businesses pay a huge price to endorse the slaughter.
>This level of cruelty and wanton slaughter has no place in the 21st

And they call themselves a world player! <spit>

--

Avoid the rush at the last judgement. Be converted now instead!

Disclaimer

Pete has taken all reasonable care to ensure that pages published by him
were accurate on the date of publication or last modification.
Other pages which may be linked or which Pete may have published are in
a personal capacity. Pete takes no responsibility for the consequences
of error or for any loss or damage suffered by users of any of the information
published on any of these pages, and such information does not form any
basis of a contract with readers or users of it.

It is in the nature of Usenet & Web sites, that much of the information is
experimental or constantly changing, that information published may
be for test purposes only, may be out of date, or may be the personal
opinion of the author.
Readers should verify information gained from the Web/Usenet with the appropriate
authorities before relying on it.

Should you no longer wish to read this material or content, please use your
newsreaders kill filter by adding Malcolm@indaal.demon.co.uk to your kill file..