Vegetarian Discussion: Help End The Cruel Harp Seal Hunt

Help End The Cruel Harp Seal Hunt

Pearl
2007-03-10 12:39:15 EST
March 9, 2007

It's that time of year again: The ice floes off the Canadian coast
are about to turn red with the blood of the countless baby harp
seals who are slaughtered for their fur.

Words cannot describe the cruelty of the annual seal "hunt,"
which is really more of a massacre and will begin in just a few
days. To stop this yearly atrocity, we must generate an
international outcry against the Canadian government. [..]

Sign PETA's international petition to Canadian Prime Minister
Stephen Harper. Our goal is to gather signatures from more
than 50,000 people who want to tell the prime minister that
"fashion" is no justification for spilling baby seals' blood.

Canada's annual seal hunt is the largest slaughter of marine
animals on Earth. Last year, more than 330,000 baby harp
seals were beaten to death so that they could be made into
fur coats, collars, and cuffs. The Canadian government
claims that hunters only kill adult seals, but 97 percent of
the seals killed last year were less than 3 months of age.

Most of these seals are too young to realize that they should
try to escape when their killers approach. They lie totally
vulnerable on the ice as their heads are bashed in with clubs.
Many are dragged across the ice - still conscious - with
boat hooks. Often these sensitive animals are skinned alive
for their fur. Their bodies are left to rot on the ice because
there is no market for their meat.

The Canadian government has authorized hunters to kill more
than 335,000 harp seals this year-one of the largest quotas
in history. There is no place in the 21st century for this
wanton and frivolous cruelty. Canada must end this
abomination, but it will take a lot of pressure to compel the
government to stop the hunt.

Please support PETA's global campaign to stop the baby
seal hunt and raise awareness about the cruelty of fur.

Thank you for your determination to end this terrible injustice.

Help End the Cruel Harp Seal Hunt

The whole world reacted with horror to 2006's images of ice
floes bloodied with the carcasses of hundreds of thousands
of baby seals whose skins have been ripped from their backs.
Unless caring individuals speak out and demand the seal hunt's
end, that gruesome scene will be repeated again later this month.
The Canadian government has given the go-ahead for hunters
to bludgeon to death 335,000 baby harp seals this year. To
stop this atrocity, we must generate an international outcry
against the Canadian government for sanctioning it.

We need to collect 50,000 signatures on PETA's international
petition to Canadian Prime Minister Stephen Harper before the
hunt begins. It's time for Canada to erase this stain on its
reputation and call off the slaughter immediately.

Take Action on This Issue
http://getactive.peta.org/campaign/seal_hunt07

Chom Noamsky
2007-03-10 13:41:26 EST
"pearl" <tea@signguestbook.ie> wrote in message
> March 9, 2007
>
> It's that time of year again: The ice floes off the Canadian coast
> are about to turn red with the blood of the countless baby harp
> seals who are slaughtered for their fur.
>
> Words cannot describe the cruelty of the annual seal "hunt,"
> which is really more of a massacre and will begin in just a few
> days. To stop this yearly atrocity, we must generate an
> international outcry against the Canadian government. [..]
>
> Sign PETA's international petition to Canadian Prime Minister
> Stephen Harper. Our goal is to gather signatures from more
> than 50,000 people

Is this People for the Eating of Tasty Animals? I like my seal meat
stir-fried with a little soya sauce. The oil can be mixed with wild berries
and turned into "ice cream." Seal fat is also high in Omega-3 fatty acids,
very healthy. The eyeballs are high in vitamin A, very good for skin,
bones, and teeth. Unfortunely, I haven't been able to get my fill of seal
for a while, not since I moved away from Iqaluit.

Pearl
2007-03-10 13:50:55 EST
"Chom Noamsky" <e@t.me> wrote in message news:qZCIh.62078$Du6.16459@edtnps82...
> "pearl" <tea@signguestbook.ie> wrote in message
> > March 9, 2007
> >
> > It's that time of year again: The ice floes off the Canadian coast
> > are about to turn red with the blood of the countless baby harp
> > seals who are slaughtered for their fur.
> >
> > Words cannot describe the cruelty of the annual seal "hunt,"
> > which is really more of a massacre and will begin in just a few
> > days. To stop this yearly atrocity, we must generate an
> > international outcry against the Canadian government. [..]
> >
> > Sign PETA's international petition to Canadian Prime Minister
> > Stephen Harper. Our goal is to gather signatures from more
> > than 50,000 people
>
> Is this People for the Eating

No. It is the People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals.

A colleague asks: "If children weren't meant to be eaten,
then why are they made out of meat?" Answer please..

Chom Noamsky
2007-03-10 14:18:50 EST
> "Chom Noamsky" <e@t.me> wrote in message
>> "pearl" <tea@signguestbook.ie> wrote in message
>> > March 9, 2007
>> >
>> > It's that time of year again: The ice floes off the Canadian coast
>> > are about to turn red with the blood of the countless baby harp
>> > seals who are slaughtered for their fur.
>> >
>> > Words cannot describe the cruelty of the annual seal "hunt,"
>> > which is really more of a massacre and will begin in just a few
>> > days. To stop this yearly atrocity, we must generate an
>> > international outcry against the Canadian government. [..]
>> >
>> > Sign PETA's international petition to Canadian Prime Minister
>> > Stephen Harper. Our goal is to gather signatures from more
>> > than 50,000 people
>>
>> Is this People for the Eating
>
> No. It is the People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals.

What is unethical about the seal hunt? Heather McCartney was on Larry King
last year trying to explain this but she started slobbering all over herself
when she was fed the facts about the hunt by the Premiere of Newfoundland.
It's perfectly ethical, legal, humane, moral, and sustainable to harvest
seals for fur and meat.

> A colleague asks: "If children weren't meant to be eaten,
> then why are they made out of meat?" Answer please..

Why aren't children meant to be eaten? Ovo vegetarians eat chicken embryos,
do they not? We humans don't eat our own children though, most species do
not because infanticide is not a great way to propagate your own species.
However, in certain cases of overpopulation stress and Darwinian competition
animals will cannibalize their own offspring.

Nobody
2007-03-10 14:56:17 EST
pearl wrote:

> March 9, 2007
>
> It's that time of year again:

It sure seems to be. Are you actually Karen Gordon or just another
uninformed goof like her?

Do you regularly jump on a bandwagon to make yourself look foolish?
Never mind http://tinyurl.com/39jwcd proves my point.

BTW, seal meat isn't bad at all although I don't care for flipper pie.

2007-03-10 15:59:26 EST
On Sat, 10 Mar 2007 18:50:55 -0000, "pearl" <tea@signguestbook.ie>
wrote:

>"Chom Noamsky" <e@t.me> wrote in message news:qZCIh.62078$Du6.16459@edtnps82...
>> "pearl" <tea@signguestbook.ie> wrote in message
>> > March 9, 2007
>> >
>> > It's that time of year again: The ice floes off the Canadian coast
>> > are about to turn red with the blood of the countless baby harp
>> > seals who are slaughtered for their fur.
>> >
>> > Words cannot describe the cruelty of the annual seal "hunt,"
>> > which is really more of a massacre and will begin in just a few
>> > days. To stop this yearly atrocity, we must generate an
>> > international outcry against the Canadian government. [..]
>> >
>> > Sign PETA's international petition to Canadian Prime Minister
>> > Stephen Harper. Our goal is to gather signatures from more
>> > than 50,000 people
>>
>> Is this People for the Eating
>
>No. It is the People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals.
>
>A colleague asks: "If children weren't meant to be eaten,
>then why are they made out of meat?" Answer please..

Take children and put them in the woods with coyotes, bears, and
cougars and they quickly go to the bottom of the food chain.
Some animals eat other animals, that is a fact of life.
And how would Pearl suggest the Inuit grow cereal crops and
vegetables? OR is global warming going to allow them to do that?

take the ö out of 10x@teluös.net to email me

Pearl
2007-03-10 18:07:03 EST
"Chom Noamsky" <e@t.me> wrote in message news:uwDIh.62113$Du6.116@edtnps82...
> "pearl" <tea@signguestbook.ie> wrote in message
> > "Chom Noamsky" <e@t.me> wrote in message
> >> "pearl" <tea@signguestbook.ie> wrote in message

> >> Is this People for the Eating
> >
> > No. It is the People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals.
>
> What is unethical about the seal hunt? Heather McCartney was on Larry King
> last year trying to explain this but she started slobbering all over herself
> when she was fed the facts about the hunt by the Premiere of Newfoundland.
> It's perfectly ethical, legal, humane, moral, and sustainable to harvest
> seals for fur and meat.

It is none of the above.

> > A colleague asks: "If children weren't meant to be eaten,
> > then why are they made out of meat?" Answer please..
>
> Why aren't children meant to be eaten? Ovo vegetarians eat chicken embryos,
> do they not?

No. Unfertilized eggs are not embryos. Even fertilized eggs from
chickens running free with roosters will not develop into embryos
until there's a worthwhile clutch and incubated by a broody hen.

> We humans don't eat our own children though, most species do
> not because infanticide is not a great way to propagate your own species.
> However, in certain cases of overpopulation stress and Darwinian competition
> animals will cannibalize their own offspring.

Yes, they are "made of meat". One small step for mankind..

Pearl
2007-03-10 18:09:19 EST
<*x@telu\ufffds.net> wrote in message news:n436v2db3q30rpfcgblfhvrib0cdupctfg@4ax.com...
> On Sat, 10 Mar 2007 18:50:55 -0000, "pearl" <tea@signguestbook.ie>
> wrote:
>
> >"Chom Noamsky" <e@t.me> wrote in message news:qZCIh.62078$Du6.16459@edtnps82...
> >> "pearl" <tea@signguestbook.ie> wrote in message

> >> Is this People for the Eating
> >
> >No. It is the People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals.
> >
> >A colleague asks: "If children weren't meant to be eaten,
> >then why are they made out of meat?" Answer please..
>
> Take children and put them in the woods with coyotes, bears, and
> cougars and they quickly go to the bottom of the food chain.
> Some animals eat other animals, that is a fact of life.

Humans are not a naturally carnivorous species.

> And how would Pearl suggest the Inuit grow cereal crops and
> vegetables? OR is global warming going to allow them to do that?

These seals are not being killed for meat.

Nobody
2007-03-10 18:19:52 EST
pearl wrote:

> Humans are not a naturally carnivorous species.

Who told you that? Someone from PETA?

>> And how would Pearl suggest the Inuit grow cereal crops and
>> vegetables? OR is global warming going to allow them to do that?
>
> These seals are not being killed for meat.

While meat is not the main reason, your severe lack of research is
showing.

Pearl
2007-03-10 18:30:52 EST
"Nobody" <not@home.anymore> wrote in message news:Xns98EF83A034DA21v2rt@204.153.245.131...
> pearl wrote:
>
> > March 9, 2007
> >
> > It's that time of year again:
>
> It sure seems to be. Are you actually Karen Gordon or just another
> uninformed goof like her?
>
> Do you regularly jump on a bandwagon to make yourself look foolish?

'Bullies project their inadequacies, shortcomings, behaviours
etc on to other people to avoid facing up to their inadequacy
and doing something about it (learning about oneself can be
painful), and to distract and divert attention away from
themselves and their inadequacies. Projection is achieved
through blame, criticism and allegation; once you realise this,
every criticism, allegation etc that the bully makes about their
target is actually an admission or revelation about themselves.
..'
http://www.bullyonline.org/workbully/serial.htm

I don't see how. I'm content.. http://tinyurl.com/3bfvza .

> BTW, seal meat isn't bad at all although I don't care for flipper pie.

Human flesh is yummy, so I've read. 'ManMeat' steak..?