Vegetarian Discussion: Federal Appeals Court Declares Horse Slaughter In Texas Illegal

Federal Appeals Court Declares Horse Slaughter In Texas Illegal

Pearl
2007-01-21 11:38:44 EST

Federal Appeals Court Declares Horse Slaughter in Texas Illegal

Two of the Nation's Three Horse Slaughter Plants Face Closure,
Criminal Charges

WASHINGTON (Jan. 20, 2007) - The Humane Society of the
United States, which has been campaigning to ban the slaughter
of American horses for export for human consumption, hailed
a decision yesterday by the United States Court of Appeals for
the Fifth Circuit overturning a lower court decision that
invalidated a Texas state law banning the sale of horsemeat for
human consumption. The HSUS filed an amicus brief in the
case in March 2006, arguing in defense of Texas' state law
barring the slaughter of American horses for human consumption
overseas.

"This is the most important court action ever on the issue of
horse slaughter. A federal appeals court has ruled that America's
horses can no longer be slaughtered in Texas and shipped to
foreign countries for food," said Wayne Pacelle, president and
CEO for The Humane Society of the United States. "When this
ruling is enforced, a single plant in Illinois will stand alone in
conducting this grisly business."

The criminal code of Texas has long prohibited the sale or
possession of horse meat, but the law has never been enforced.
In 2002, responding to citizen and local government concerns
about the two foreign-owned horse slaughter plants in the state
- Dallas Crown in Kaufman and Beltex in Fort Worth - then-
Texas Attorney General John Cornyn issued a written opinion
that the 1949 Texas law applies and may be enforced.

In response, the Tarrant County District Attorney attempted to
enforce the law, but last year a federal district court in Texas
ruled that the law was repealed by another statute and preempted
by federal law. The District Attorney appealed that decision last
year, and was supported by The HSUS in briefing before the
Court of Appeals.

In its decision, the court flatly rejected the slaughterhouses'
arguments that the ban on the sale of horsemeat does not
protect horses from theft and abuse, and that regulating horse
slaughter can achieve those same purposes, noting instead
that "it is a matter of commonsense that.alternatives.do not
preserve horses as well as completely prohibiting the sale and
transfer of horsemeat for human consumption." The court
noted that the horse on the Texas trail is a cinematic icon, but
"not once in memory did the cowboy eat his horse."

The Court of Appeals also quickly brushed aside the slaughter
plants' arguments that the Texas law at issue was invalid under
state and federal law, noting that the Texas law "has not been
repealed or preempted by federal law," and that "several states
have already banned its commercial use for human consumption."

"The Texas law prohibiting the sale of horse meat for human
food could hardly be any more explicit," said Jonathan Lovvorn,
vice president of animal protection litigation for The HSUS.
"The court's decision means that any individual employee or
corporation involved in the horse slaughter business in Texas
now stares straight ahead at criminal prosecution."

According to the U.S. Department of Agriculture, 100,800
American horses were slaughtered in three foreign-owned
slaughter houses in 2006. Opponents of the slaughter ban
argue the practice constitutes a humane way to kill old animals,
but investigations by The HSUS show cruelty and abuse
throughout the process. USDA statistics show that more than
92 percent of horses slaughtered in the U.S. are not old and
infirm but in good condition.

Legislation to ban the slaughter of American horses nationwide
was introduced this week in the 110th Congress, and this court
ruling will give further momentum to the federal legislative effort.
In the U.S. Senate, the American Horse Slaughter Prevention
Act, S. 311, was launched Jan. 17 by Sens. Mary Landrieu
(D-La.) and John Ensign (R-Nev.), with 12 original cosponsors.
In the U.S. House, Reps. Janice Schakowsky (D-Ill.) Ed
Whitfield (R-Ky.), John Spratt (D-S.C.), and Nick Rahall
(D-W.V.) introduced a companion bill, H.R. 503, the same day
with 62 original cosponsors.

The measure received tremendous bipartisan support in the 109th
Congress, winning a vote of 263 to 146 in the House. It stalled in
the Senate in late 2006, however, and was not brought up for a
vote before Congress adjourned, even though a similar effort had
been overwhelmingly approved by the Senate in 2005.

Media Contact: Polly Shannon, ... , pshannon @ hsus.org
(close spaces)

Jean Clingfilm
2007-01-21 12:56:19 EST
pearl wrote:
> Federal Appeals Court Declares Horse Slaughter in Texas Illegal
>
> Two of the Nation's Three Horse Slaughter Plants Face Closure,
> Criminal Charges
>
> WASHINGTON (Jan. 20, 2007) - The Humane Society of the
> United States, which has been campaigning to ban the slaughter
> of American horses for export for human consumption, hailed
> a decision yesterday by the United States Court of Appeals for
> the Fifth Circuit overturning a lower court decision that
> invalidated a Texas state law banning the sale of horsemeat for
> human consumption. The HSUS filed an amicus brief in the
> case in March 2006, arguing in defense of Texas' state law
> barring the slaughter of American horses for human consumption
> overseas.

I have a concern that horses will now be shipped greater distances to a
slaughter house in Mexico or another state.

I'm I right to assume this does not stop slaughter for non human
consumption?

Perhaps it would be better to obtain at the time of sale the legal
obligation of horse (or animal) owner to keep that horse in a healthy
condition until its natural death (including euthanasia). This legal
obligation may be transferred to a new owner, potentially at a cost of
the original owner.

Perhaps this would at least make people aware of the total cost of
ownership of a horse for its life, and could ease the problem at source.

Pearl
2007-01-21 15:11:48 EST
"Jean Clingfilm" <romanoff@papercut.com> wrote in message news:51hnq2F1k895lU1@mid.individual.net...
> pearl wrote:
> > Federal Appeals Court Declares Horse Slaughter in Texas Illegal
> >
> > Two of the Nation's Three Horse Slaughter Plants Face Closure,
> > Criminal Charges
> >
> > WASHINGTON (Jan. 20, 2007) - The Humane Society of the
> > United States, which has been campaigning to ban the slaughter
> > of American horses for export for human consumption, hailed
> > a decision yesterday by the United States Court of Appeals for
> > the Fifth Circuit overturning a lower court decision that
> > invalidated a Texas state law banning the sale of horsemeat for
> > human consumption. The HSUS filed an amicus brief in the
> > case in March 2006, arguing in defense of Texas' state law
> > barring the slaughter of American horses for human consumption
> > overseas.
>
> I have a concern that horses will now be shipped greater distances to a
> slaughter house in Mexico or another state.

'The American Horse Slaughter Prevention Act will bar the
slaughter of horses for human consumption in the U.S. as
well as the export of horses for slaughter in other countries.
...'
http://www.horsesinthesouth.com/Articles/Press-Release/ChrisDunn/HSUS-horse-slaughter-prevention-act-reintroduced.asp

> I'm I right to assume this does not stop slaughter for non human
> consumption?

Remember that this is largely driven by and done for profit.

'Little is known about the two plants in Texas, for they keep
low profiles. According to court papers, Beltex has processed
horsemeat for human consumption for 27 years and employs
90 people. In 2001, it processed 27,000 horses and had gross
revenues of $30 million. In the same year, Dallas Crown Inc.,
which has 40 employees, processed more than 13,000 horses
and had gross revenues of $9 million.

The horsemeat is shipped to Europe or Japan where it is sold
for as much as $20 a pound.
..'
http://animalsrighttolifewebsite.com/i_oppose_do_you1.htm

'In addition, we are pushing for a vote on a bill to stop the
commercial exploitation and slaughter of wild horses. House
Natural Resources Committee Chairman Rahall and
Representative Whitfield have reintroduced H.R. 249 - first
considered in the last session - to repeal the 2004 "Burns rider"
and restore the 1971 Wild Free-Roaming Horse and Burro Act
to its original language.
..
The American public and over 500 organizations from the
humane community, a majority of horse industry organizations
and veterinarians all back support our effort to end to the
slaughter of America's horses.
We will continue to fight for horses until they are all protected.
..
Please call, fax or email your Representative and both Senators
today, urging their co-sponsorship of the AHSPA (H.R. 503/
Senate bill number to be announced soon). Ask your
Representative to co-sponsor H.R. 249 at the same time.

To find your legislators, please visit www.compassionindex.org.
For facts and additional information on both bills to include in
your calls and letters, please visit www.saplonline.org/horses.htm.
'
http://www.horsesinthesouth.com/Articles/Press-Release/SAPL/AHSPA2007-horse-slaughter-prevention-act.asp

> Perhaps it would be better to obtain at the time of sale the legal
> obligation of horse (or animal) owner to keep that horse in a healthy
> condition until its natural death (including euthanasia). This legal
> obligation may be transferred to a new owner, potentially at a cost of
> the original owner.
>
> Perhaps this would at least make people aware of the total cost of
> ownership of a horse for its life, and could ease the problem at source.

A good suggestion. May I suggest that you also email your
concerns and comments directly to the HSUS media contact:
Polly Shannon, pshannon @ hsus.org (close spaces to email).

Peter Darby
2007-01-22 10:48:01 EST

"pearl" <tea@signguestbook.ie> wrote in message

> Federal Appeals Court Declares Horse Slaughter in Texas Illegal
>
> Two of the Nation's Three Horse Slaughter Plants Face Closure,
> Criminal Charges
>
> WASHINGTON (Jan. 20, 2007) - The Humane Society of the
> United States, which has been campaigning to ban the slaughter
> of American horses for export for human consumption, hailed
> a decision yesterday by the United States Court of Appeals for
> the Fifth Circuit overturning a lower court decision that
> invalidated a Texas state law banning the sale of horsemeat for
> human consumption. The HSUS filed an amicus brief in the
> case in March 2006, arguing in defense of Texas' state law
> barring the slaughter of American horses for human consumption
> overseas.

Why is this any worse than slaughtering cows, or pigs, or sheep ?
They're killed for human consumption and (some) people seem to think that's
OK.
What's the difference?

Pete

Jean Clingfilm
2007-01-22 13:09:35 EST
pearl wrote:
> "Jean Clingfilm" <romanoff@papercut.com> wrote in message news:51hnq2F1k895lU1@mid.individual.net...
>> pearl wrote:
>>> Federal Appeals Court Declares Horse Slaughter in Texas Illegal
>>>
>>> Two of the Nation's Three Horse Slaughter Plants Face Closure,
>>> Criminal Charges
>>>
>>> WASHINGTON (Jan. 20, 2007) - The Humane Society of the
>>> United States, which has been campaigning to ban the slaughter
>>> of American horses for export for human consumption, hailed
>>> a decision yesterday by the United States Court of Appeals for
>>> the Fifth Circuit overturning a lower court decision that
>>> invalidated a Texas state law banning the sale of horsemeat for
>>> human consumption. The HSUS filed an amicus brief in the
>>> case in March 2006, arguing in defense of Texas' state law
>>> barring the slaughter of American horses for human consumption
>>> overseas.
>> I have a concern that horses will now be shipped greater distances to a
>> slaughter house in Mexico or another state.
>
> 'The American Horse Slaughter Prevention Act will bar the
> slaughter of horses for human consumption in the U.S. as
> well as the export of horses for slaughter in other countries.
> ...'
> http://www.horsesinthesouth.com/Articles/Press-Release/ChrisDunn/HSUS-horse-slaughter-prevention-act-reintroduced.asp

That seems good news; thanks for the clarification.

>> I'm I right to assume this does not stop slaughter for non human
>> consumption?
>
> Remember that this is largely driven by and done for profit.
>
> 'Little is known about the two plants in Texas, for they keep
> low profiles. According to court papers, Beltex has processed
> horsemeat for human consumption for 27 years and employs
> 90 people. In 2001, it processed 27,000 horses and had gross
> revenues of $30 million. In the same year, Dallas Crown Inc.,
> which has 40 employees, processed more than 13,000 horses
> and had gross revenues of $9 million.
>
> The horsemeat is shipped to Europe or Japan where it is sold
> for as much as $20 a pound.
> ..'
> http://animalsrighttolifewebsite.com/i_oppose_do_you1.htm
>
> 'In addition, we are pushing for a vote on a bill to stop the
> commercial exploitation and slaughter of wild horses. House
> Natural Resources Committee Chairman Rahall and
> Representative Whitfield have reintroduced H.R. 249 - first
> considered in the last session - to repeal the 2004 "Burns rider"
> and restore the 1971 Wild Free-Roaming Horse and Burro Act
> to its original language.
> ..
> The American public and over 500 organizations from the
> humane community, a majority of horse industry organizations
> and veterinarians all back support our effort to end to the
> slaughter of America's horses.
> We will continue to fight for horses until they are all protected.
> ..
> Please call, fax or email your Representative and both Senators
> today, urging their co-sponsorship of the AHSPA (H.R. 503/
> Senate bill number to be announced soon). Ask your
> Representative to co-sponsor H.R. 249 at the same time.
>
> To find your legislators, please visit www.compassionindex.org.
> For facts and additional information on both bills to include in
> your calls and letters, please visit www.saplonline.org/horses.htm.
> '
> http://www.horsesinthesouth.com/Articles/Press-Release/SAPL/AHSPA2007-horse-slaughter-prevention-act.asp
>
>> Perhaps it would be better to obtain at the time of sale the legal
>> obligation of horse (or animal) owner to keep that horse in a healthy
>> condition until its natural death (including euthanasia). This legal
>> obligation may be transferred to a new owner, potentially at a cost of
>> the original owner.
>>
>> Perhaps this would at least make people aware of the total cost of
>> ownership of a horse for its life, and could ease the problem at source.
>
> A good suggestion. May I suggest that you also email your
> concerns and comments directly to the HSUS media contact:
> Polly Shannon, pshannon @ hsus.org (close spaces to email).

Thanks again for your time, clarification and pointer for further action.

Pearl
2007-01-22 13:31:00 EST
"Peter Darby" <DontEmailMe@ThisAddress.com> wrote in message news:12r9n5m9ssl7k7f@corp.supernews.com...

> "pearl" <tea@signguestbook.ie> wrote in message
> >
> > Federal Appeals Court Declares Horse Slaughter in Texas Illegal
> >
> > Two of the Nation's Three Horse Slaughter Plants Face Closure,
> > Criminal Charges
> >
> > WASHINGTON (Jan. 20, 2007) - The Humane Society of the
> > United States, which has been campaigning to ban the slaughter
> > of American horses for export for human consumption, hailed
> > a decision yesterday by the United States Court of Appeals for
> > the Fifth Circuit overturning a lower court decision that
> > invalidated a Texas state law banning the sale of horsemeat for
> > human consumption. The HSUS filed an amicus brief in the
> > case in March 2006, arguing in defense of Texas' state law
> > barring the slaughter of American horses for human consumption
> > overseas.
>
> Why is this any worse than slaughtering cows, or pigs, or sheep ?

Or chickens, or turkeys, or fish, and so on. It's all wrong.

> They're killed for human consumption and (some) people seem to think that's
> OK.
> What's the difference?

Essentially, there is no difference. Saying that, read on..

"The US's entire wild horse population will be affected
because they are located on public lands that the BLM
manages."
..
"We believe that wild horses living on public lands should
be left alone and not be made a part of the pipeline heading
to the slaughter houses," Markarian said.

That is what's happening, though -- not just to the wild horses
of the West, but also to horses of all ages and breeds. Losing
race horses, sick and disabled horses, surplus riding school
horses and foals that are used in the Pregnant Mare Urine
industry, which produces the estrogen-replacement drug
Premarin, are slaughtered for their meat. The national Humane
Society reports that many of the horses its investigators have
seen purchased for slaughter were in good health and bought
for just a few hundred dollars.
..
Often terrified horses and ponies are crammed together and
transported to the slaughterhouses in double-deck trucks
designed for cattle and pigs. The truck ceilings are so low
that the horses are not able to hold their heads in a normal,
balanced position. Inappropriate floor surfaces lead to slips
and falls, and sometimes even trampling. Some horses arrive
at the slaughterhouses seriously injured or dead.
..'
http://animalsrighttolifewebsite.com/i_oppose_do_you1.htm

[ Video by Animals' Angels Exposes Cruelty During
Transport of Horses to Slaughter
http://www.saplonline.org/Legislation/ahspa/senate/horses_aavideo.htm ]

'.. a captive bolt gun to the brain is used to render the skittish
animals unconscious, but because this method is uniquely
unsuitable for horses in a frightening situation, multiple blows
may be required.

[VIDEO: Footage of horse slaughter (GRAPHIC)
http://www.saplonline.org/slaughtervhumaneeuth.htm ]
..
"A significant number of the 100,000 American horses being
slaughtered for human consumption every year were stolen
and not "unwanted," as opponents of this bill claim," said
Rep. Whitfield, the Republican leader on H.R. 503.
..'
http://www.horsesinthesouth.com/Articles/Press-Release/ChrisDunn/HSUS-horse-slaughter-prevention-act-reintroduced.asp

Pearl
2007-01-22 13:36:30 EST
"Jean Clingfilm" <romanoff@papercut.com> wrote in message news:51kcuvF1kobtkU1@mid.individual.net...
> pearl wrote:

> >> I have a concern that horses will now be shipped greater distances to a
> >> slaughter house in Mexico or another state.
> >
> > 'The American Horse Slaughter Prevention Act will bar the
> > slaughter of horses for human consumption in the U.S. as
> > well as the export of horses for slaughter in other countries.
> > ...'
> > http://www.horsesinthesouth.com/Articles/Press-Release/ChrisDunn/HSUS-horse-slaughter-prevention-act-reintroduced.asp
>
> That seems good news; thanks for the clarification.

It does, doesn't it. You're very welcome.

> >> I'm I right to assume this does not stop slaughter for non human
> >> consumption?
> >
> > Remember that this is largely driven by and done for profit.
> >
> > 'Little is known about the two plants in Texas, for they keep
> > low profiles. According to court papers, Beltex has processed
> > horsemeat for human consumption for 27 years and employs
> > 90 people. In 2001, it processed 27,000 horses and had gross
> > revenues of $30 million. In the same year, Dallas Crown Inc.,
> > which has 40 employees, processed more than 13,000 horses
> > and had gross revenues of $9 million.
> >
> > The horsemeat is shipped to Europe or Japan where it is sold
> > for as much as $20 a pound.
> > ..'
> > http://animalsrighttolifewebsite.com/i_oppose_do_you1.htm
> >
> > 'In addition, we are pushing for a vote on a bill to stop the
> > commercial exploitation and slaughter of wild horses. House
> > Natural Resources Committee Chairman Rahall and
> > Representative Whitfield have reintroduced H.R. 249 - first
> > considered in the last session - to repeal the 2004 "Burns rider"
> > and restore the 1971 Wild Free-Roaming Horse and Burro Act
> > to its original language.
> > ..
> > The American public and over 500 organizations from the
> > humane community, a majority of horse industry organizations
> > and veterinarians all back support our effort to end to the
> > slaughter of America's horses.
> > We will continue to fight for horses until they are all protected.
> > ..
> > Please call, fax or email your Representative and both Senators
> > today, urging their co-sponsorship of the AHSPA (H.R. 503/
> > Senate bill number to be announced soon). Ask your
> > Representative to co-sponsor H.R. 249 at the same time.
> >
> > To find your legislators, please visit www.compassionindex.org.
> > For facts and additional information on both bills to include in
> > your calls and letters, please visit www.saplonline.org/horses.htm.
> > '
> > http://www.horsesinthesouth.com/Articles/Press-Release/SAPL/AHSPA2007-horse-slaughter-prevention-act.asp
> >
> >> Perhaps it would be better to obtain at the time of sale the legal
> >> obligation of horse (or animal) owner to keep that horse in a healthy
> >> condition until its natural death (including euthanasia). This legal
> >> obligation may be transferred to a new owner, potentially at a cost of
> >> the original owner.
> >>
> >> Perhaps this would at least make people aware of the total cost of
> >> ownership of a horse for its life, and could ease the problem at source.
> >
> > A good suggestion. May I suggest that you also email your
> > concerns and comments directly to the HSUS media contact:
> > Polly Shannon, pshannon @ hsus.org (close spaces to email).
> >

> Thanks again for your time, clarification and pointer for further action.

Thank you.

Pete ‹•¿•›
2007-02-01 03:39:47 EST