Vegetarian Discussion: TryVeg.com - A Guide To Vegetarian And Vegan Eating

TryVeg.com - A Guide To Vegetarian And Vegan Eating
Posts: 14

Report Abuse

Use this form to report abuse or request takedown.
The requests are usually processed within 48 hours.

Page: 1 2   Next  (First | Last)

Pearl
2006-11-06 06:09:11 EST
WELCOME TO THE WHYS & HOWS OF VEGETARIAN EATING

Just 15 years ago, finding cruelty-free versions of our favorite foods
was like a game of scavenger hunt. But today, virtually every major
grocery store sells animal-free foods like veggie burgers, creamy soy
and rice milks, meat-free "chicken" patties, soy sausage, and even
dairy-free ice creams. And restaurants - from fast-food to four-star
- are more frequently offering healthy and animal-friendly dishes.

Read on and see why increasing numbers of compassionate,
health-conscious, and earth-friendly people are eating vegetarian
fare and just how easy it can be!

Saving Animals, One Bite at a Time
Opening
The Birds
The Pigs
The Cows
The Aquatic Animals
The Free-Range Myth
Choosing Compassion Over Killing

Foods and Recipes
For Your Grocery Cart
New-to-You Foods
Vegetarian Dining
Vegetarian Recipes
Meal and Snack Ideas
Vegan Eatin' on a Budget

Saving Ourselves, One Bite at a Time
Opening
Experts on Vegetarian Diets
Benefits of Vegetarian Eating
Is Milk a Natural?

The Easy Transition to Vegetarian Eating
Transition in Three Steps
Eye on the Prize
Quick Tips
Leading by Example

Saving the Earth, One Bite at a Time
Opening
Polluting the Water / Air
Wasting Resources
What About Fish?
Choosing Sustainability

And more...
Concerns About Protein
Veg Diets: Doing It Right
Protein, Iron, and Calcium
Vegetarian FAQ
Vegetarian Resources

http://www.tryveg.com/cfi/toc/



Roy. Just Roy.
2006-11-06 11:05:22 EST

pearl wrote:

> But today, virtually every major
> grocery store sells animal-free foods like veggie burgers, creamy soy
> and rice milks, meat-free "chicken" patties, soy sausage, and even
> dairy-free ice creams.

Actually, most of your soy products are made by soaking, grinding,
boiling or straining fresh or dried soybeans (Source:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tofu) to make a soybean "milk"
(essentially a suspension of protein and oil).

After the extraction, the remainder of the soybean is processed into
animal feed (soybean meal). You aren't saving a single animal - all you
are doing is adding retail value to what was once just a livestock
crop. And I know several soybean farmers that would thank you for doing
so.

> Read on and see why increasing numbers of compassionate,
> health-conscious, and earth-friendly people are eating vegetarian
> fare and just how easy it can be!

Compassion is a qualitative trait. I've personally had vegetarians down
the street call the Health Board on me for keeping laying hens in the
backyard. I've also eaten with vegetarians that would rather just walk
around homeless people than give away their "doggy bags" (or "sunflower
bags" if you prefer). What you call compassion I would term as
arrogance - simply another way for someone to feel morally superior and
thus more important than others.

/Roy

P.S. The Health Inspector now visits me weekly - for the fresh eggs I
give his family.


Pearl
2006-11-06 11:34:33 EST
"Roy. Just Roy." <delduck3@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:1162829122.540757.22670@h48g2000cwc.googlegroups.com...
>
> pearl wrote:
>
> > But today, virtually every major
> > grocery store sells animal-free foods like veggie burgers, creamy soy
> > and rice milks, meat-free "chicken" patties, soy sausage, and even
> > dairy-free ice creams.
>
> Actually, most of your soy products are made by soaking, grinding,
> boiling or straining fresh or dried soybeans (Source:
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tofu) to make a soybean "milk"
> (essentially a suspension of protein and oil).
>
> After the extraction, the remainder of the soybean is processed into
> animal feed (soybean meal). You aren't saving a single animal - all you
> are doing is adding retail value to what was once just a livestock
> crop. And I know several soybean farmers that would thank you for doing
> so.

Be real, Roy. You should know that only a fraction of the soy
harvested is for human consumption - both the meal and "milk".

> > Read on and see why increasing numbers of compassionate,
> > health-conscious, and earth-friendly people are eating vegetarian
> > fare and just how easy it can be!
>
> Compassion is a qualitative trait. I've personally had vegetarians down
> the street call the Health Board on me for keeping laying hens in the
> backyard. I've also eaten with vegetarians that would rather just walk
> around homeless people than give away their "doggy bags" (or "sunflower
> bags" if you prefer). What you call compassion I would term as
> arrogance - simply another way for someone to feel morally superior and
> thus more important than others.

I'm sorry that you've met some iffy vegetarians. That's people for you..

> /Roy
>
> P.S. The Health Inspector now visits me weekly - for the fresh eggs I
> give his family.
>



Rick
2006-11-06 17:52:25 EST

"pearl" <tea@signguestbook.ie> wrote in message
news:eino1g$lnj$1@reader01.news.esat.net...
> "Roy. Just Roy." <delduck3@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> news:1162829122.540757.22670@h48g2000cwc.googlegroups.com...
>>
>> pearl wrote:
>>
>> > But today, virtually every major
>> > grocery store sells animal-free foods like veggie burgers,
>> > creamy soy
>> > and rice milks, meat-free "chicken" patties, soy sausage,
>> > and even
>> > dairy-free ice creams.
>>
>> Actually, most of your soy products are made by soaking,
>> grinding,
>> boiling or straining fresh or dried soybeans (Source:
>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tofu) to make a soybean "milk"
>> (essentially a suspension of protein and oil).
>>
>> After the extraction, the remainder of the soybean is
>> processed into
>> animal feed (soybean meal). You aren't saving a single
>> animal - all you
>> are doing is adding retail value to what was once just a
>> livestock
>> crop. And I know several soybean farmers that would thank you
>> for doing
>> so.
>
> Be real, Roy. You should know that only a fraction of the soy
> harvested is for human consumption - both the meal and "milk".
==============================
You really are this incredibly stupid, aren't you fool? Meal is
the by-product of oil extraction that accounts for the vast
majority of edible oils in our foods, you ignorant dolt. That's
90% of ALL oilseed production, killer...
You just can't help being so willfully ignorant, can you
hypocrite?


>
>> > Read on and see why increasing numbers of compassionate,
>> > health-conscious, and earth-friendly people are eating
>> > vegetarian
>> > fare and just how easy it can be!
>>
>> Compassion is a qualitative trait. I've personally had
>> vegetarians down
>> the street call the Health Board on me for keeping laying hens
>> in the
>> backyard. I've also eaten with vegetarians that would rather
>> just walk
>> around homeless people than give away their "doggy bags" (or
>> "sunflower
>> bags" if you prefer). What you call compassion I would term as
>> arrogance - simply another way for someone to feel morally
>> superior and
>> thus more important than others.
>
> I'm sorry that you've met some iffy vegetarians. That's people
> for you..
>
>> /Roy
>>
>> P.S. The Health Inspector now visits me weekly - for the fresh
>> eggs I
>> give his family.
>>
>
>



Pearl
2006-11-06 18:14:58 EST
"rick" <stop@stop.net> wrote in message news:J0P3h.3035$l25.1934@newsread4.news.pas.earthlink.net...
>
> "pearl" <tea@signguestbook.ie> wrote in message
> news:eino1g$lnj$1@reader01.news.esat.net...
> > "Roy. Just Roy." <delduck3@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> > news:1162829122.540757.22670@h48g2000cwc.googlegroups.com...
<..>
> >> After the extraction, the remainder of the soybean is processed into
> >> animal feed (soybean meal). You aren't saving a single animal - all you
> >> are doing is adding retail value to what was once just a livestock
> >> crop. And I know several soybean farmers that would thank you
> >> for doing so.
> >
> > Be real, Roy. You should know that only a fraction of the soy
> > harvested is for human consumption - both the meal and "milk".
> ==============================
> You really are this incredibly stupid, aren't you fool? Meal is
> the by-product of oil extraction that accounts for the vast
> majority of edible oils in our foods, you ignorant dolt. That's
> 90% of ALL oilseed production, killer...
> You just can't help being so willfully ignorant, can you
> hypocrite?

Projection.

['Bullies project their inadequacies, shortcomings, behaviours
etc on to other people to avoid facing up to their inadequacy
and doing something about it (learning about oneself can be
painful), and to distract and divert attention away from
themselves and their inadequacies. Projection is achieved
through blame, criticism and allegation; once you realise this,
every criticism, allegation etc that the bully makes about their
target is actually an admission or revelation about themselves.'

The Socialised Psychopath or Sociopath
http://www.bullyonline.org/workbully/serial.htm ]

Surely you remember this, rick:

'The vegetable oil situation today is extremely depressing, with
a glut on the market and prices down around the world.
..
The world vegetable oil market is presently at a large surplus and
protein dominates the value of the oilseed complex. That puts a
high oil content seed like sunflower at a considerable disadvantage
to soybean in attracting acres.
..'
http://tinyurl.com/y2nrk7

'Given the soybean's low oil content, what are the major factors
that have contributed to the rise of soy oil as the world's leading
oil? First, its highly competitive price, which is based both on the
relatively low costs of soybean and soy oil production, and on
the fact that soy oil is but one of two valuable products derived
from the soybean. Since about 1946, the demand for (and thus
the price of) soybean meal as a protein source for livestock has
increased faster than that for oil (Fig. ??). Thus, the large supply
of soy oil relative to the demand has kept prices low; in effect,
soy oil has almost become a by-product of the meal.
..
Soybean meal is by far the world's most widely used oilseed
meal and protein concentrate in livestock and poultry feeds.
Its popularity is based on its low price, its high protein quantity
and quality (its amino acids are an excellent complement for
those of basic feed grains), and its good availability.
..'
http://www.thesoydailyclub.com/SFC/historySC49.asp





Rick
2006-11-06 23:12:22 EST

"pearl" <tea@signguestbook.ie> wrote in message
news:eiofg9$us2$1@reader01.news.esat.net...
> "rick" <stop@stop.net> wrote in message
> news:J0P3h.3035$l25.1934@newsread4.news.pas.earthlink.net...
>>
>> "pearl" <tea@signguestbook.ie> wrote in message
>> news:eino1g$lnj$1@reader01.news.esat.net...
>> > "Roy. Just Roy." <delduck3@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>> > news:1162829122.540757.22670@h48g2000cwc.googlegroups.com...
> <..>
>> >> After the extraction, the remainder of the soybean is
>> >> processed into
>> >> animal feed (soybean meal). You aren't saving a single
>> >> animal - all you
>> >> are doing is adding retail value to what was once just a
>> >> livestock
>> >> crop. And I know several soybean farmers that would thank
>> >> you
>> >> for doing so.
>> >
>> > Be real, Roy. You should know that only a fraction of the
>> > soy
>> > harvested is for human consumption - both the meal and
>> > "milk".
>> ==============================
>> You really are this incredibly stupid, aren't you fool? Meal
>> is
>> the by-product of oil extraction that accounts for the vast
>> majority of edible oils in our foods, you ignorant dolt.
>> That's
>> 90% of ALL oilseed production, killer...
>> You just can't help being so willfully ignorant, can you
>> hypocrite?
>
> Projection.
=============
ROTFLMAO I see you can't adress the lys you just claimed,
killer...

Thanks for continuing to prove your ignorance, stupidity, and
hypocrisy, fool..


snip spew that only applies to yourself, lys...



Geoff
2006-11-07 06:00:35 EST
On Mon, 6 Nov 2006 11:09:11 -0000, "pearl" <tea@signguestbook.ie>
wrote:

>WELCOME TO THE WHYS & HOWS OF VEGETARIAN EATING
>
>Just 15 years ago, finding cruelty-free versions of our favorite foods
>was like a game of scavenger hunt. But today, virtually every major
>grocery store sells animal-free foods like veggie burgers, creamy soy
>and rice milks, meat-free "chicken" patties, soy sausage, and even
>dairy-free ice creams. And restaurants - from fast-food to four-star
>- are more frequently offering healthy and animal-friendly dishes.
>
>Read on and see why increasing numbers of compassionate,
>health-conscious, and earth-friendly people are eating vegetarian
>fare and just how easy it can be!
>
>Saving Animals, One Bite at a Time
>Opening
>The Birds
>The Pigs
>The Cows
>The Aquatic Animals
>The Free-Range Myth
>Choosing Compassion Over Killing
>
>Foods and Recipes
>For Your Grocery Cart
>New-to-You Foods
>Vegetarian Dining
>Vegetarian Recipes
>Meal and Snack Ideas
>Vegan Eatin' on a Budget
>
>Saving Ourselves, One Bite at a Time
>Opening
>Experts on Vegetarian Diets
>Benefits of Vegetarian Eating
>Is Milk a Natural?
>
>The Easy Transition to Vegetarian Eating
>Transition in Three Steps
>Eye on the Prize
>Quick Tips
>Leading by Example
>
>Saving the Earth, One Bite at a Time
>Opening
>Polluting the Water / Air
>Wasting Resources
>What About Fish?
>Choosing Sustainability
>
>And more...
>Concerns About Protein
>Veg Diets: Doing It Right
>Protein, Iron, and Calcium
>Vegetarian FAQ
>Vegetarian Resources
>
>http://www.tryveg.com/cfi/toc/
>


Geoff
2006-11-07 06:03:09 EST
On Mon, 6 Nov 2006 23:14:58 -0000, "pearl" <tea@signguestbook.ie>
wrote:

>"rick" <stop@stop.net> wrote in message news:J0P3h.3035$l25.1934@newsread4.news.pas.earthlink.net...
>>
>> "pearl" <tea@signguestbook.ie> wrote in message
>> news:eino1g$lnj$1@reader01.news.esat.net...
>> > "Roy. Just Roy." <delduck3@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>> > news:1162829122.540757.22670@h48g2000cwc.googlegroups.com...
><..>
>> >> After the extraction, the remainder of the soybean is processed into
>> >> animal feed (soybean meal). You aren't saving a single animal - all you
>> >> are doing is adding retail value to what was once just a livestock
>> >> crop. And I know several soybean farmers that would thank you
>> >> for doing so.
>> >
>> > Be real, Roy. You should know that only a fraction of the soy
>> > harvested is for human consumption - both the meal and "milk".
>> ==============================
>> You really are this incredibly stupid, aren't you fool? Meal is
>> the by-product of oil extraction that accounts for the vast
>> majority of edible oils in our foods, you ignorant dolt. That's
>> 90% of ALL oilseed production, killer...
>> You just can't help being so willfully ignorant, can you
>> hypocrite?
>
>Projection.
>
>['Bullies project their inadequacies, shortcomings, behaviours
>etc on to other people to avoid facing up to their inadequacy
>and doing something about it (learning about oneself can be
>painful), and to distract and divert attention away from
>themselves and their inadequacies. Projection is achieved
>through blame, criticism and allegation; once you realise this,
>every criticism, allegation etc that the bully makes about their
>target is actually an admission or revelation about themselves.'
>
>The Socialised Psychopath or Sociopath
>http://www.bullyonline.org/workbully/serial.htm ]
>

DimJim. Old Todger etc, are learning this to their cost.

Bullying doesn't work here.

Pearl
2006-11-07 07:34:44 EST
"rick" <stop@stop.net> wrote in message news:GIT3h.3830$ig4.2267@newsread2.news.pas.earthlink.net...
>
> "pearl" <tea@signguestbook.ie> wrote in message
> news:eiofg9$us2$1@reader01.news.esat.net...
> > "rick" <stop@stop.net> wrote in message
> > news:J0P3h.3035$l25.1934@newsread4.news.pas.earthlink.net...
> >>
> >> "pearl" <tea@signguestbook.ie> wrote in message
> >> news:eino1g$lnj$1@reader01.news.esat.net...
> >> > "Roy. Just Roy." <delduck3@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> >> > news:1162829122.540757.22670@h48g2000cwc.googlegroups.com...
> > <..>
> >> >> After the extraction, the remainder of the soybean is processed into
> >> >> animal feed (soybean meal). You aren't saving a single animal - all you
> >> >> are doing is adding retail value to what was once just a livestock
> >> >> crop. And I know several soybean farmers that would thank you
> >> >> for doing so.
> >> >
> >> > Be real, Roy. You should know that only a fraction of the soy
> >> > harvested is for human consumption - both the meal and "milk".
> >> ==============================
> >> You really are this incredibly stupid, aren't you fool? Meal
> >> is the by-product of oil extraction that accounts for the vast
> >> majority of edible oils in our foods, you ignorant dolt.
> >> That's 90% of ALL oilseed production, killer...
> >> You just can't help being so willfully ignorant, can you
> >> hypocrite?
> >
> > Projection.
> =============
> ROTFLMAO I see you can't adress the lys you just claimed,
> killer...

Projection. Surely you remember this, rick:

'The vegetable oil situation today is extremely depressing, with
a glut on the market and prices down around the world.
..
The world vegetable oil market is presently at a large surplus and
protein dominates the value of the oilseed complex. That puts a
high oil content seed like sunflower at a considerable disadvantage
to soybean in attracting acres.
..'
http://tinyurl.com/y2nrk7

> Thanks for continuing to prove your ignorance, stupidity, and
> hypocrisy, fool..

Projection.

'Given the soybean's low oil content, what are the major factors
that have contributed to the rise of soy oil as the world's leading
oil? First, its highly competitive price, which is based both on the
relatively low costs of soybean and soy oil production, and on
the fact that soy oil is but one of two valuable products derived
from the soybean. Since about 1946, the demand for (and thus
the price of) soybean meal as a protein source for livestock has
increased faster than that for oil (Fig. ??). Thus, the large supply
of soy oil relative to the demand has kept prices low; in effect,
soy oil has almost become a by-product of the meal.
..
Soybean meal is by far the world's most widely used oilseed
meal and protein concentrate in livestock and poultry feeds.
Its popularity is based on its low price, its high protein quantity
and quality (its amino acids are an excellent complement for
those of basic feed grains), and its good availability.
..'
http://www.thesoydailyclub.com/SFC/historySC49.asp

> snip spew that only applies to yourself, lys...

Projection and evasion. I'll bet everyone here has read the following:

'Paving the Amazon with Soy

World Bank Bows to Audit of Maggi Loan

by Sasha Lilley, Special to CorpWatch
December 16th, 2004

The sprawling state of Mato Grosso, in central west Brazil, could be
thought a paradise of sorts, at least from a distance. The lush rainforest
of the Amazon basin, often called the "lungs of the world," straddles
the state, as does the grassy Brazilian savanna or cerrado. Parrots,
jaguars and pumas are just a few of the abundant species found in the
savanna, considered one of the most biodiverse in the world, along
with endangered species like the maned wolf, anteater and river-dwelling
giant otter.

The landscape, however, is rapidly being altered as vast fields of
soybeans and cattle ranches replace grasslands and forests. Soy rules
Mato Grosso and it's not the soy that much of the world associates
with the ostensibly eco-friendly, vegetarian diet, either.

In the wake of the Mad Cow disease scare, soy producers have
benefited from increased demand in affluent countries for meat from
cows that are fed soy meal, rather than animal-based feed. This is
only the latest in a series of factors that have allowed a company
named the Andr\ufffd Maggi Group to spearhead, along with the Brazilian
government, the expansion of soy in Mato Grosso and adjacent states
over the last two decades, with disturbing consequences.

"Soy -- at this moment -- is the most important driver for deforestation,
directly and indirectly," says environmental analyst Jan Maarten Dros.
"Directly because the cerrado is being converted from natural vegetation
into soy fields. But indirectly, because in this region a lot of cattle farms
are being replaced by soy farmers buying or renting land from cattle
farmers." This means, according to Dros' 2003 WWF study on the
impacts of soybean cultivation in Brazil, that the "cattle farmers tend to
advance into new forest area, causing more deforestation."

The governor of the state of Matos Grosso is Blairo Maggi, the
owner of the Maggi group, who is also known as the rei da soja --
the Soybean King. In fact, the Maggi Group is the largest private soy
producer in the world. The company grossed $600 million in sales
this year, primarily managing the production, trade and processing of
over 2 million tons of soy, most of it destined for livestock in Europe
and Asia. Maggi has also been key in establishing transportation
infrastructure that further opens the Amazon to development and
deforestation.
...
Over the long run, demand for soy is only expected to grow. As
long as consumers continue to demand meat from soy- fed livestock
and international banks continue to finance its growth, the Maggi
Group will stay in business. Meanwhile, the vital ecosystems of
Mato Grosso's Amazon rainforests and cerrado remain in danger.

http://www.corpwatch.org/article.php?id=11756




Pearl
2006-11-07 07:50:06 EST
"Geoff" <g23434ssd@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:ftp0l2luqcmvp602tbpur9d701dm87nenn@4ax.com...
> On Mon, 6 Nov 2006 23:14:58 -0000, "pearl" <tea@signguestbook.ie>
> wrote:
>
> >"rick" <stop@stop.net> wrote in message news:J0P3h.3035$l25.1934@newsread4.news.pas.earthlink.net...
> >>
> >> "pearl" <tea@signguestbook.ie> wrote in message
> >> news:eino1g$lnj$1@reader01.news.esat.net...
> >> > "Roy. Just Roy." <delduck3@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> >> > news:1162829122.540757.22670@h48g2000cwc.googlegroups.com...
> ><..>
> >> >> After the extraction, the remainder of the soybean is processed into
> >> >> animal feed (soybean meal). You aren't saving a single animal - all you
> >> >> are doing is adding retail value to what was once just a livestock
> >> >> crop. And I know several soybean farmers that would thank you
> >> >> for doing so.
> >> >
> >> > Be real, Roy. You should know that only a fraction of the soy
> >> > harvested is for human consumption - both the meal and "milk".
> >> ==============================
> >> You really are this incredibly stupid, aren't you fool? Meal is
> >> the by-product of oil extraction that accounts for the vast
> >> majority of edible oils in our foods, you ignorant dolt. That's
> >> 90% of ALL oilseed production, killer...
> >> You just can't help being so willfully ignorant, can you
> >> hypocrite?
> >
> >Projection.
> >
> >['Bullies project their inadequacies, shortcomings, behaviours
> >etc on to other people to avoid facing up to their inadequacy
> >and doing something about it (learning about oneself can be
> >painful), and to distract and divert attention away from
> >themselves and their inadequacies. Projection is achieved
> >through blame, criticism and allegation; once you realise this,
> >every criticism, allegation etc that the bully makes about their
> >target is actually an admission or revelation about themselves.'
> >
> >The Socialised Psychopath or Sociopath
> >http://www.bullyonline.org/workbully/serial.htm ]
> >
>
> DimJim. Old Todger etc, are learning this to their cost.
>
> Bullying doesn't work here.

It sure doesn't. Karma reversing over their own dogma... ; [

Hope you don't mind my restoring the rest of my post here... (!)

/

Surely you remember this, rick:

'The vegetable oil situation today is extremely depressing, with
a glut on the market and prices down around the world.
..
The world vegetable oil market is presently at a large surplus and
protein dominates the value of the oilseed complex. That puts a
high oil content seed like sunflower at a considerable disadvantage
to soybean in attracting acres.
..'
http://tinyurl.com/y2nrk7

'Given the soybean's low oil content, what are the major factors
that have contributed to the rise of soy oil as the world's leading
oil? First, its highly competitive price, which is based both on the
relatively low costs of soybean and soy oil production, and on
the fact that soy oil is but one of two valuable products derived
from the soybean. Since about 1946, the demand for (and thus
the price of) soybean meal as a protein source for livestock has
increased faster than that for oil (Fig. ??). Thus, the large supply
of soy oil relative to the demand has kept prices low; in effect,
soy oil has almost become a by-product of the meal.
..
Soybean meal is by far the world's most widely used oilseed
meal and protein concentrate in livestock and poultry feeds.
Its popularity is based on its low price, its high protein quantity
and quality (its amino acids are an excellent complement for
those of basic feed grains), and its good availability.
..'
http://www.thesoydailyclub.com/SFC/historySC49.asp



Page: 1 2   Next  (First | Last)


2020 - UsenetArchives.com | Contact Us | Privacy | Stats | Site Search
Become our Patron