Vegetarian Discussion: I Am Back As Vegan

I Am Back As Vegan

Blueshark
2006-10-23 16:27:19 EST
I made some posts on usenet describing my transition from vegan to
fisheater.

It lasted a month but I am now back to vegan.

I can't deny fish tasted good, but eventually it made me ill, more so
than since I have been vegan (18 months)

I will seek out other sources for omega-3 and B12.

The statement and vegan cause is too important to me for me to give up
on.

I look forward to discussions.

Dutch
2006-10-23 16:57:03 EST

"Blueshark" <duncan10@gmail.com> wrote
>I made some posts on usenet describing my transition from vegan to
> fisheater.
>
> It lasted a month but I am now back to vegan.
>
> I can't deny fish tasted good, but eventually it made me ill, more so
> than since I have been vegan (18 months)
>
> I will seek out other sources for omega-3 and B12.
>
> The statement and vegan cause is too important to me for me to give up
> on.
>
> I look forward to discussions.

If food upsets your stomach that's a good signal to avoid it. It's always
good to listen to your body, as opposed to telling it what it you think it
should want.

Blueshark
2006-10-23 17:08:21 EST

Dutch wrote:
> If food upsets your stomach that's a good signal to avoid it. It's always
> good to listen to your body, as opposed to telling it what it you think it
> should want.

Thanks.

I tend to agree Dutch.

> "Blueshark" <duncan10@gmail.com> wrote
> >I made some posts on usenet describing my transition from vegan to
> > fisheater.
> >
> > It lasted a month but I am now back to vegan.
> >
> > I can't deny fish tasted good, but eventually it made me ill, more so
> > than since I have been vegan (18 months)
> >
> > I will seek out other sources for omega-3 and B12.
> >
> > The statement and vegan cause is too important to me for me to give up
> > on.
> >
> > I look forward to discussions.

B*@canada.com
2006-10-23 18:47:10 EST

Blueshark wrote:
> I made some posts on usenet describing my transition from vegan to
> fisheater.
>
> It lasted a month but I am now back to vegan.
>
> I can't deny fish tasted good, but eventually it made me ill, more so
> than since I have been vegan (18 months)
>
> I will seek out other sources for omega-3 and B12.

If you ate the fish raw you got omega-3, if cooked, you didn't.

You can get your omegas from Omega Nutrition products. The oils are
pressed so they don't overheat and packaged so no sunlight hits the
oils.

B-12 can be obtained from wheat grown in a manured soil.

Grasses uptake B-12 if it is present and wheat is a grass.

> The statement and vegan cause is too important to me for me to give up
> on.
>
> I look forward to discussions.

Dutch
2006-10-23 21:20:44 EST

<*g@canada.com> wrote in message

> Blueshark wrote:
>> I made some posts on usenet describing my transition from vegan to
>> fisheater.
>>
>> It lasted a month but I am now back to vegan.
>>
>> I can't deny fish tasted good, but eventually it made me ill, more so
>> than since I have been vegan (18 months)
>>
>> I will seek out other sources for omega-3 and B12.
>

> If you ate the fish raw you got omega-3, if cooked, you didn't.

Totally false. see
http://www.tufts.edu/med/nutrition-infection/hiv/health_omega3.html

> You can get your omegas from Omega Nutrition products. The oils are
> pressed so they don't overheat and packaged so no sunlight hits the
> oils.
>
> B-12 can be obtained from wheat grown in a manured soil.
>
> Grasses uptake B-12 if it is present and wheat is a grass.

Flaxseed oil is the best source of Omega 3.

>> The statement and vegan cause is too important to me for me to give up
>> on.
>>
>> I look forward to discussions.

Geoff
2006-10-24 07:04:14 EST
On 23 Oct 2006 13:27:19 -0700, "Blueshark" <duncan10@gmail.com> wrote:

>I made some posts on usenet describing my transition from vegan to
>fisheater.
>
>It lasted a month but I am now back to vegan.
>
>I can't deny fish tasted good, but eventually it made me ill, more so
>than since I have been vegan (18 months)
>
>I will seek out other sources for omega-3 and B12.

Flaxseed is excellent.

Whining, Crying, Bawl
2006-10-24 13:19:08 EST

b*g@canada.com wrote:
> Blueshark wrote:
> > I made some posts on usenet describing my transition from vegan to
> > fisheater.
> >
> > It lasted a month but I am now back to vegan.
> >
> > I can't deny fish tasted good, but eventually it made me ill, more so
> > than since I have been vegan (18 months)
> >
> > I will seek out other sources for omega-3 and B12.
>

> If you ate the fish raw you got omega-3, if cooked, you didn't.
>
> You can get your omegas from Omega Nutrition products. The oils are
> pressed so they don't overheat and packaged so no sunlight hits the
> oils.

Omega Nutrition makes a blended oil that has omega 3,6,and 9 in proper
proportion.

> B-12 can be obtained from wheat grown in a manured soil.
>
> Grasses uptake B-12 if it is present and wheat is a grass.
>

> > The statement and vegan cause is too important to me for me to give up
> > on.
> >
> > I look forward to discussions.

Blueshark
2006-10-25 07:31:20 EST
Yeah flaxseed looks pretty good.

15g teaspoon would meet the daily requirements for omega-3.

And at this amount, the EPA and DHA would meet the RDA.

Wikipedia claims it is a cure for cancer, but it doesn't give much
credence to the claim!

Whining, Crying, Bawl wrote:
> bcpg@canada.com wrote:
> > Blueshark wrote:
> > > I made some posts on usenet describing my transition from vegan to
> > > fisheater.
> > >
> > > It lasted a month but I am now back to vegan.
> > >
> > > I can't deny fish tasted good, but eventually it made me ill, more so
> > > than since I have been vegan (18 months)
> > >
> > > I will seek out other sources for omega-3 and B12.
> >

> > If you ate the fish raw you got omega-3, if cooked, you didn't.
> >
> > You can get your omegas from Omega Nutrition products. The oils are
> > pressed so they don't overheat and packaged so no sunlight hits the
> > oils.
>

> Omega Nutrition makes a blended oil that has omega 3,6,and 9 in proper
> proportion.
>

> > B-12 can be obtained from wheat grown in a manured soil.
> >
> > Grasses uptake B-12 if it is present and wheat is a grass.
> >

> > > The statement and vegan cause is too important to me for me to give up
> > > on.
> > >
> > > I look forward to discussions.

Pearl
2006-10-25 08:09:38 EST
"Blueshark" <duncan10@gmail.com> wrote in message news:1161775880.879335.201680@m7g2000cwm.googlegroups.com...

> Yeah flaxseed looks pretty good.

Walnuts as well. See:
http://www.whfoods.com/genpage.php?tname=foodspice&dbid=99
Pumpkin seeds are a good source too, as are hemp seeds, and
leafy greens.. If you take flax seeds it's best to grind them and
soak in fresh water for 20 minutes. Then just drink them down.

> 15g teaspoon would meet the daily requirements for omega-3.
>
> And at this amount, the EPA and DHA would meet the RDA.
>
> Wikipedia claims it is a cure for cancer, but it doesn't give much
> credence to the claim!

Dutch
2006-10-25 15:47:57 EST

"Blueshark" <duncan10@gmail.com> wrote
> Yeah flaxseed looks pretty good.
>
> 15g teaspoon would meet the daily requirements for omega-3.

I forget, isn't that *weekly requirement*? The seeds are not very
digestible, I sometimes grind them up before cooking them in oatmeal.

Good luck, vegetarian diets are great, if you can make them work for you.