Vegetarian Discussion: Low Iron Vegetarian

Low Iron Vegetarian

Kathie LaPinta
2006-10-14 15:00:44 EST
I'm looking for some "other than obvious" suggestions to get more iron and
b12 in my diet. I've been told by my doctor that I should stop being a
vegetarian if I cannot bring my levels up as I am anemic in both regards
(iron and b12). I was not happy to hear that and I have been on suppliments
and careful diet for several months but cannot bring my levels up. I run
into people here and there who tell me they eat meat now and then to get
iron but I CANNOT do this. I wont do that. So, please offer any
suggestions if you have them. I cook in cast iron cookware and eat green
leafy veggies all day long :) I need help.. Kathie

Pearl
2006-10-14 16:04:20 EST
"Kathie LaPinta" <katlapinta@comcast.net> wrote in message news:H_-dnVWjs_pDrqzYnZ2dnUVZ_vKdnZ2d@comcast.com...
> I'm looking for some "other than obvious" suggestions to get more iron and
> b12 in my diet. I've been told by my doctor that I should stop being a
> vegetarian if I cannot bring my levels up as I am anemic in both regards
> (iron and b12). I was not happy to hear that and I have been on suppliments
> and careful diet for several months but cannot bring my levels up. I run
> into people here and there who tell me they eat meat now and then to get
> iron but I CANNOT do this. I wont do that. So, please offer any
> suggestions if you have them. I cook in cast iron cookware and eat green
> leafy veggies all day long :) I need help.. Kathie

Hi Kathie.

Other than dietary sources which include almonds, avocados, beets,
blackstrap molasses, brewers yeast, dates, dulse, kelp, kidney and
lima beans, green leafy vegetables, lentils, millet, peaches, pears,
dried prunes, pumpkins, raisins, rice and wheat bran, sesame seeds,
soybeans and watercress.. the iron supplement to take is 'Floradix'
which is made from plants. It is inadvisable to take inorganic
minerals as may be the case with over the counter supplements or
from your cookware. Vitamin C can increase iron absorption by
up to 30%. Other nutrients - both vitamins and minerals are also
required for complete iron absorption - a good multi should help.
(Excess zinc and vitamin E can interfere with iron absorption.)
Organic produce as much as possible for higher nutrient levels.

What needs to be investigated is the cause. Lack of hydrochloric
acid production seems most likely, and possibly been suggested.
Hydrochloric acid supplements are available. Take a look here:
http://www.diet-and-health.net/Supplements/HydrochloricAcid.html

To your good health Kathie,

'pearl'
(reflexologist)

Dutch
2006-10-14 18:35:11 EST

"Kathie LaPinta" <katlapinta@comcast.net> wrote
> I'm looking for some "other than obvious" suggestions to get more iron and
> b12 in my diet. I've been told by my doctor that I should stop being a
> vegetarian if I cannot bring my levels up as I am anemic in both regards
> (iron and b12). I was not happy to hear that and I have been on
> suppliments and careful diet for several months but cannot bring my levels
> up. I run into people here and there who tell me they eat meat now and
> then to get iron but I CANNOT do this. I wont do that. So, please offer
> any suggestions if you have them. I cook in cast iron cookware and eat
> green leafy veggies all day long :) I need help.. Kathie

Why can't you eat a little meat if your very health and life depends on it?
If the reason is that you can't stand the thought of animals dying to feed
you then you need to dig a little deeper into the story behind the food that
you eat now. If you were to choose a modest amount of organic free-range
chicken, grass-fed beef or wild salmon to supplement your diet instead of
some of the grain-based "substitutes" you currently consume I submit that
you would not be increasing the net amount of animal suffering and death
inherent in your diet.

Kathie LaPinta
2006-10-14 18:38:34 EST

> Hi Kathie.
>
> Other than dietary sources which include almonds, avocados, beets,
> blackstrap molasses, brewers yeast, dates, dulse, kelp, kidney and
> lima beans, green leafy vegetables, lentils, millet, peaches, pears,
> dried prunes, pumpkins, raisins, rice and wheat bran, sesame seeds,
> soybeans and watercress.. the iron supplement to take is 'Floradix'
> which is made from plants. It is inadvisable to take inorganic
> minerals as may be the case with over the counter supplements or
> from your cookware. Vitamin C can increase iron absorption by
> up to 30%. Other nutrients - both vitamins and minerals are also
> required for complete iron absorption - a good multi should help.
> (Excess zinc and vitamin E can interfere with iron absorption.)
> Organic produce as much as possible for higher nutrient levels.
>
> What needs to be investigated is the cause. Lack of hydrochloric
> acid production seems most likely, and possibly been suggested.
> Hydrochloric acid supplements are available. Take a look here:
> http://www.diet-and-health.net/Supplements/HydrochloricAcid.html
>
> To your good health Kathie,
>
> 'pearl'
> (reflexologist)

Pearl,

Thank you for replying! I didnt know about some of the foods you suggested
so thank you for that. That link you provided had some wonderful
information in it. I actually enjoyed reading it as it was educational as
well as helpful for me. Thanks again!

Kathie

Pearl
2006-10-15 08:07:55 EST
"Kathie LaPinta" <katlapinta@comcast.net> wrote in message news:W7ednTr4KOJs-6zYnZ2dnUVZ_o-dnZ2d@comcast.com...

> Pearl,
>
> Thank you for replying! I didnt know about some of the foods you suggested
> so thank you for that. That link you provided had some wonderful
> information in it. I actually enjoyed reading it as it was educational as
> well as helpful for me. Thanks again!
>
> Kathie

You're very welcome Kathie.

Yesterday I treated myself to this, a concentrated juice ..
http://www.samento.com.ec/sciencelib/noni/whatisnoni.html

Interesting (must read) article here:
http://www.consumerhealth.org/articles/display.cfm?ID=19990303205600

Pearl
2006-10-15 09:14:26 EST
"Dutch" <no@email.com> wrote in message news:12j2ph0ett3g26d@news.supernews.com...

> Why can't you eat a little meat if your very health and life depends on it?

It doesn't. Addressed elsewhere.

> If the reason is that you can't stand the thought of animals dying to feed
> you then you need to dig a little deeper into the story behind the food that
> you eat now. If you were to choose a modest amount of organic free-range
> chicken, grass-fed beef or wild salmon to supplement your diet instead of
> some of the grain-based "substitutes" you currently consume I submit that
> you would not be increasing the net amount of animal suffering and death
> inherent in your diet.

You have no idea what the OP consumes, and its NOYB, innit.

As for your 'submission' (anti veg*n/ism propaganda), repost..

According to Davis' corrected estimates, a vegetarian causes a
fraction of a death *annually*. Even much better than a hunter.
..Or fishing, and fish are in serious trouble. It's unsustainable.

'Each year in the United States, approximately ten billion land
animals are raised and slaughtered for human consumption.
Davis suggests the number of wild animals killed per hectare in
crop production (15) is twice that killed in ruminant-pasture (7.5).*
If this is true, then as long as crop production uses less than half
as many hectares as ruminant-pasture to deliver the same amount
of food, a vegetarian will kill fewer animals than an omnivore. In
fact, crop production uses less than half as many hectares as
grass-fed dairy and one-tenth as many hectares as grass-fed beef to
deliver the same amount of protein. In one year, 1,000 kilograms of
protein can be produced on as few as 1.0 hectares planted with soy
and corn, 2.6 hectares used as pasture for grass-fed dairy cows, or
10 hectares used as pasture for grass-fed beef cattle (Vandehaar,
1998;UNFAO, 1996). As such, to obtain the 20 kilograms of protein
per year recommended for adults, a vegan-vegetarian would kill 0.3
wild animals annually, a lacto-vegetarian would kill 0.39 wild animals,
while a Davis-style omnivore would kill 1.5 wild animals. Thus,
correcting Davis's math, we see that a vegan-vegetarian population
would kill the fewest number of wild animals, followed closely by a
lacto-vegetarian population.
...'
http://web.archive.org/web/20050217071128/www.veganoutreach.org/enewsletter/matheny.html

".. a vegan-vegetarian would kill 0.3 wild animals annually ..".

300,000,000 Americans x 0.3 = 90,000,000 wild animals may die
with destructive conventional farming practices. Potentially ~0.

300,000,000 Americans x 1.5 = 450,000,000 wild animals may die
for 'omnivores', and add 10,000,000,000 (ten billion) slaughtered,
and also the wildlife killed as 'predators', 'competitors' and 'pests'.

*
1.
'Pastures that have been overgrazed and in which such
soil-improving practices as liming, fertilizing, and seeding
have been neglected lose a part of the feed nutrients required
by livestock. Good management of pastures also calls for
rotation of animals, because the composition of manure,
which affects the nutrients in the soil, varies with the kind
of animal being grazed, and also because different animals
graze on different species of pasturage plants. Among other
requirements are a sufficient water supply, trees to provide
shade, and eradication of weeds. ...'
http://www.infoplease.com/ce6/sci/A0837821.html

"liming, fertilizing, and seeding ... eradication of weeds".

2.
'Grass-fed' livestock are given harvested forage during
the winter when grass is scarce and the quality is poor.

WHY do you SO want people to eat dead animals, 'dutch'?

Are you being PAID to post your long-debunked drivel?

Kathie LaPinta
2006-10-15 09:50:12 EST
Wow, I guess I should thank you for your post, but I do not appreciate you
assuming anything of my post. I was asking for help in getting iron and
b12, not your perception of my dietary intake. I appreciate good
suggestions and help, but your take on animal suffering and death inherent
in my diet is undesired.

It really is none of your business or concern what my diet consists of or
why I dont eat meat, it could be health related in itself, but assuming you
might think of that would make an ass of me as well, wouldn't it?

"Dutch" <no@email.com> wrote in message

> "Kathie LaPinta" <katlapinta@comcast.net> wrote
>> I'm looking for some "other than obvious" suggestions to get more iron
>> and b12 in my diet. I've been told by my doctor that I should stop being
>> a vegetarian if I cannot bring my levels up as I am anemic in both
>> regards (iron and b12). I was not happy to hear that and I have been on
>> suppliments and careful diet for several months but cannot bring my
>> levels up. I run into people here and there who tell me they eat meat
>> now and then to get iron but I CANNOT do this. I wont do that. So,
>> please offer any suggestions if you have them. I cook in cast iron
>> cookware and eat green leafy veggies all day long :) I need help..
>> Kathie
>
> Why can't you eat a little meat if your very health and life depends on
> it? If the reason is that you can't stand the thought of animals dying to
> feed you then you need to dig a little deeper into the story behind the
> food that you eat now. If you were to choose a modest amount of organic
> free-range chicken, grass-fed beef or wild salmon to supplement your diet
> instead of some of the grain-based "substitutes" you currently consume I
> submit that you would not be increasing the net amount of animal suffering
> and death inherent in your diet.

Pearl
2006-10-15 09:53:13 EST
"pearl" <tea@signguestbook.ie> wrote in message news:egrfpg$tno$1@reader01.news.esat.net...
> "Kathie LaPinta" <katlapinta@comcast.net> wrote in message news:H_-dnVWjs_pDrqzYnZ2dnUVZ_vKdnZ2d@comcast.com...
> > I'm looking for some "other than obvious" suggestions to get more iron and
> > b12 in my diet.
> the iron supplement to take is 'Floradix'

'Floradix Liquid Iron & Vitamin Formula from Salus Haus 250ml

Containing vitamins, herbal extract and fruit concentrates. A
womans first choice for health, energy and vitality. Contains an
easily assimilated form of organic iron, herb extracts, fruit juices,
vitamins C & B complex.

Recommended Dosage
Take 2 tsp (10ml) twice daily, before morning and evening meals.
Children between 1 and 5 years: 1 tsp (5ml) daily.
Children between 6 and 12 years: 2 tsp (10ml) daily.

Ingredients
Aqueous extract (54%) from carrots, nettles, spinach, quitch roots,
angelica roots, fennel, ocean kelp, African mallow, blossom and
orange peel, fruit concentrates (29%) of pears, red grapes,
blackcurrants, oranges, blackberries, cherries and beetroots,
aqueous extract of iron-fed yeast with: absorbable iron and added
thiamin HCl, riboflavin, vitamin B6 (as pyridoxine HCl), folic acid,
vitamin B12 (cyanocobalamin prep) and vitamin C (ascorbic acid),
honey rose hip aqueous dry extract, wheat germ aqueous extract.

Nutritional Information
10ml of Floradix typically provides:
Energy 41.95kJ/10.12kcal, Protein trace, Fat not detectable,
Carbohydrate 2.44g, Thiamin 1.0mg (71% RDA), Riboflavin 0.9mg
(56% RDA), Vitamin B6 0.5mg (25% RDA), Vitamin B12 0.6\ufffdg
(60% RDA), Iron 7.5mg (54% RDA)
RDA = EC Recommended Daily Allowance.

Other Information
Floradix is a nutritious food supplement, which provides organic
iron, extracts of carefully selected herbs, delicious fruits, vitamins,
specially cultured yeast and ocean kelp. In addition, it contains
extract of wheat germ and rose hips.

Iron is an essential dietary factor. Floradix has absorbable iron in
the form of a yeast extract food supplement. In addition, it contains
B vitamins including thiamin, riboflavin, pyridoxine, folic acid and
vitamin B12 in a readily available and absorbable form. Floradix
offers nutrients required for growth and maintaining fitness and health.'

(No affiliation. For informational purposes only.)

Rick
2006-10-15 10:06:24 EST

> Wow, I guess I should thank you for your post, but I do not
> appreciate you assuming anything of my post. I was asking for
> help in getting iron and b12, not your perception of my dietary
> intake. I appreciate good suggestions and help, but your take
> on animal suffering and death inherent in my diet is undesired.
>
> It really is none of your business or concern what my diet
> consists of or why I dont eat meat, it could be health related
> in itself, but assuming you might think of that would make an
> ass of me as well, wouldn't it?

Closed-minded and a boor, what a combination... bon-appetite,
killer....

> "Dutch" <no@email.com> wrote in message
>>
>> "Kathie LaPinta" <katlapinta@comcast.net> wrote
>>> I'm looking for some "other than obvious" suggestions to get
>>> more iron and b12 in my diet. I've been told by my doctor
>>> that I should stop being a vegetarian if I cannot bring my
>>> levels up as I am anemic in both regards (iron and b12). I
>>> was not happy to hear that and I have been on suppliments and
>>> careful diet for several months but cannot bring my levels
>>> up. I run into people here and there who tell me they eat
>>> meat now and then to get iron but I CANNOT do this. I wont
>>> do that. So, please offer any suggestions if you have them.
>>> I cook in cast iron cookware and eat green leafy veggies all
>>> day long :) I need help.. Kathie
>>
>> Why can't you eat a little meat if your very health and life
>> depends on it? If the reason is that you can't stand the
>> thought of animals dying to feed you then you need to dig a
>> little deeper into the story behind the food that you eat now.
>> If you were to choose a modest amount of organic free-range
>> chicken, grass-fed beef or wild salmon to supplement your diet
>> instead of some of the grain-based "substitutes" you currently
>> consume I submit that you would not be increasing the net
>> amount of animal suffering and death inherent in your diet.

Dutch
2006-10-15 15:50:56 EST

"Kathie LaPinta" <katlapinta@comcast.net> wrote
> Wow, I guess I should thank you for your post, but I do not appreciate you
> assuming anything of my post. I was asking for help in getting iron and
> b12, not your perception of my dietary intake. I appreciate good
> suggestions and help, but your take on animal suffering and death inherent
> in my diet is undesired.
>
> It really is none of your business or concern what my diet consists of or
> why I dont eat meat, it could be health related in itself, but assuming
> you might think of that would make an ass of me as well, wouldn't it?

Kathie, YOU introduced the idea that your health was not the reason you
abstain from meat, alluding to some other reason which you chose not to
specify. In YOUR best interests I offered some feedback based on the
assumption that causing animals to suffer was this reason. Was I wrong? Why
was my opinion unwelcome?