Vegetarian Discussion: What Is The Vegetarian God's Name?

What Is The Vegetarian God's Name?

Sphere
2006-09-10 21:03:43 EST
I was just wondering, since at least some Vegans seem
so much like Dominionist Christians.
---
No essence. No permanence. No perfection. Only action.

D*@.
2006-09-10 21:47:35 EST
On 10 Sep 2006 18:03:43 -0700, "Sphere" <sphere1952@gmail.com> wrote:

>I was just wondering,

Probably Turnip...but it could be Broccoli.

>since at least some Vegans seem so much like Dominionist Christians.

Noooo!

Mark 7
18 "Are you so dull?" he asked. "Don't you see that nothing
that enters a man from the outside can make him `unclean'?
19 For it doesn't go into his heart but into his stomach, and
then out of his body." (In saying this, Jesus declared all foods
"clean.")

Mark 14
12 On the first day of the Feast of Unleavened Bread, when it
was customary to sacrifice the Passover lamb, Jesus' disciples
asked him, "Where do you want us to go and make preparations
for you to eat the Passover?"
13 So he sent two of his disciples, telling them, "Go into the city,
and a man carrying a jar of water will meet you. Follow him.
14 Say to the owner of the house he enters, 'The Teacher asks:
Where is my guest room, where I may eat the Passover with my
disciples?'

(refer to Exodus 12 for details about the Passover food)

Luke 2
22 When the time of their purification according to the Law of
Moses had been completed, Joseph and Mary took him to
Jerusalem to present him to the Lord
23 (as it is written in the Law of the Lord, "Every firstborn male is
to be consecrated to the Lord" ),
24 and to offer a sacrifice in keeping with what is said in the Law
of the Lord: "a pair of doves or two young pigeons."

Luke 24
39 Look at my hands and my feet. It is I myself! Touch me and see;
a ghost does not have flesh and bones, as you see I have."
40 When he had said this, he showed them his hands and feet.
41 And while they still did not believe it because of joy and
amazement, he asked them, "Do you have anything here to eat?"
42 They gave him a piece of broiled fish,
43 and he took it and ate it in their presence.

John 21
4 Early in the morning, Jesus stood on the shore, but the disciples
did not realize that it was Jesus.
5 He called out to them, "Friends, haven't you any fish?" "No," they
answered.
6 He said, "Throw your net on the right side of the boat and you will
find some." When they did, they were unable to haul the net in
because of the large number of fish.
[...]
9 When they landed, they saw a fire of burning coals there with fish
on it, and some bread.
10 Jesus said to them, "Bring some of the fish you have just caught."
11 Simon Peter climbed aboard and dragged the net ashore. It was full
of large fish, 153, but even with so many the net was not torn.
12 Jesus said to them, "Come and have breakfast."

Acts 10
9 About noon the following day as they were on their journey and
approaching the city, Peter went up on the roof to pray.
10 He became hungry and wanted something to eat, and while the meal
was being prepared, he fell into a trance.
11 He saw heaven opened and something like a large sheet being let
down to earth by its four corners.
12 It contained all kinds of four-footed animals, as well as reptiles
of the earth and birds of the air.
13 Then a voice told him, "Get up, Peter. Kill and eat."
14 "Surely not, Lord!" Peter replied. "I have never eaten anything
impure or unclean."
15 The voice spoke to him a second time, "Do not call anything impure
that God has made clean."
16 This happened three times, and immediately the sheet was taken back
to heaven.

Romans 14
1 Accept him whose faith is weak, without passing judgment on
disputable matters.
2 One man's faith allows him to eat everything, but another man,
whose faith is weak, eats only vegetables.
3 The man who eats everything must not look down on him who
does not, and the man who does not eat everything must not
condemn the man who does, for God has accepted him.
4 Who are you to judge someone else's servant? To his own
master he stands or falls. And he will stand, for the Lord is able
to make him stand.
5 One man considers one day more sacred than another; another
man considers every day alike. Each one should be fully
convinced in his own mind.
6 He who regards one day as special, does so to the Lord. He
who eats meat, eats to the Lord, for he gives thanks to God; and
he who abstains, does so to the Lord and gives thanks to God.
7 For none of us lives to himself alone and none of us dies to himself
alone.
8 If we live, we live to the Lord; and if we die, we die to the Lord.
So, whether we live or die, we belong to the Lord.
9 For this very reason, Christ died and returned to life so that he
might be the Lord of both the dead and the living.
10 You, then, why do you judge your brother? Or why do you look down
on your brother? For we will all stand before God's judgment seat.

1 Corinthians 10
25 Eat anything sold in the meat market without raising questions of
conscience,
26 for, "The earth is the Lord's, and everything in it."

Sphere
2006-09-10 22:02:47 EST

dh@. wrote:
> On 10 Sep 2006 18:03:43 -0700, "Sphere" <sphere1952@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> >I was just wondering,
>
> Probably Turnip...but it could be Broccoli.

How about Kale? Got lots of kale growing in my
back yard right now...

> >since at least some Vegans seem so much like Dominionist Christians.
>
> Noooo!

Muttering evil thoughts, he mutters "proves my fuck'n
point..."

> [...]
> 6 He who regards one day as special, does so to the Lord. He
> who eats meat, eats to the Lord, for he gives thanks to God; and
> he who abstains, does so to the Lord and gives thanks to God.
> 7 For none of us lives to himself alone and none of us dies to himself
> alone.
> 8 If we live, we live to the Lord; and if we die, we die to the Lord.
> So, whether we live or die, we belong to the Lord.
> 9 For this very reason, Christ died and returned to life so that he
> might be the Lord of both the dead and the living.
> 10 You, then, why do you judge your brother? Or why do you look down
> on your brother? For we will all stand before God's judgment seat.
>
> 1 Corinthians 10
> 25 Eat anything sold in the meat market without raising questions of
> conscience,
> 26 for, "The earth is the Lord's, and everything in it."

Anna Graham
2006-09-11 00:05:45 EST
Sphere wrote:

> dh@. wrote:
>
>>On 10 Sep 2006 18:03:43 -0700, "Sphere" <sphere1952@gmail.com> wrote:
>>

>>>I was just wondering,
>>
>> Probably Turnip...but it could be Broccoli.
>

> How about Kale? Got lots of kale growing in my
> back yard right now...

How about Demeter? I suspect Vegans might
prefer a goddess

<snip>

--
Make me sweet again, Fragrant and fresh
and wild, And thankful for any small event.

Bill Pfeifer
2006-09-11 00:13:28 EST
Sphere wrote:
> I was just wondering, since at least some Vegans seem
> so much like Dominionist Christians.
> ---
> No essence. No permanence. No perfection. Only action.

Thus I have heard.

Shunryu Suzuki went on a trip with one of his students who
was a "militant" vegan. The student kept carrying on about
the evils of eating meat.
Suzuki-roshi remained quiet.

Then they stopped for lunch. The student "educated" the
waiter on the evils of meat-eating and generally made
a nuisance of himself.
Suzuki-roshi ordered a hamburger.

The student stopped in mid-sentence, completely lost for
words. Never would he dare "correcting" his teacher.
Both sat there in silence until the food arrived.
Suzuki-roshi took one bite of his hamburger and said,
"I don't like this. Let's switch."
And with that, he switched his plate with the student's.

Sorry, my source did not know what happened afterward.

Chico Chupacabra
2006-09-11 01:40:59 EST
anna graham wrote:

> Sphere wrote:
>
> > dh@. wrote:

> >> Probably Turnip...but it could be Broccoli.
> >

> > How about Kale? Got lots of kale growing in my
> > back yard right now...
> >

> How about Demeter? I suspect Vegans might
> prefer a goddess

The only thing I find more pathetic than a westerner who embraces
eastern religion (especially the kind who pontificates about his or her
former western religion's deficits) is the skanky type who
embraces wicca or goddess worship. That means the skanky vegan wiccan
type is the most pathetic wretch of all.

Vicky Conlan
2006-09-11 05:53:18 EST
According to <sphere1952@gmail.com>:
>> >I was just wondering,
>>
>> Probably Turnip...but it could be Broccoli.
>
>How about Kale? Got lots of kale growing in my
>back yard right now...

Lucky you. Mine either gets pigeoned and caterpillared if I don't net it,
or weevilled if the pigeons can't get to it to peck them off.

--

Scented Nectar
2006-09-11 11:42:12 EST

cheeko the intolerant wrote:
> The only thing I find more pathetic than a westerner who embraces
> eastern religion (especially the kind who pontificates about his or her
> former western religion's deficits) is the skanky type who
> embraces wicca or goddess worship. That means the skanky vegan wiccan
> type is the most pathetic wretch of all.

Why do you feel goddesses are worse than gods? Do you just hate women?
Of course I already know the answer to that. You are looking at
religions from the biased and misogynist viewpoint of Western
Christianity. I don't. I am an atheist who has no stakes in the
religion vs religion game, and therefore I can view religions more
objectively. You have a history of being against anything that is
statistically marginalized or showing non-conformity with your
society's norm. All religions have a mix of good points and bad points
in my view. Some are a little better or worse than others, but your
claims above about Wicca and goddesses have nothing to back them.

Scented Nectar
http://www.scentednectar.com/

Chico Chupacabra
2006-09-11 17:35:16 EST
anna graham wrote:

> chico chupacabra wrote:
> > anna graham wrote:

> >>How about Demeter? I suspect Vegans might
> >>prefer a goddess
> >

> > The only thing I find more pathetic than a westerner who embraces
> > eastern religion (especially the kind who pontificates about his or
> > her former western religion's deficits) is the skanky type who
> > embraces wicca or goddess worship. That means the skanky vegan
> > wiccan type is the most pathetic wretch of all.
>
> What experiences have you had with this type?

Do you mean the cashiers at Wheatsville or phony yogis?

Chico Chupacabra
2006-09-11 17:37:52 EST
Keynes wrote:

> On Mon, 11 Sep 2006 08:44:28 -0500, dt <daletx@ATnewsguy.com> wrote:
>
> >anna graham wrote:

> >or her >> former western religion's deficits) is the skanky type who
> >wiccan >> type is the most pathetic wretch of all.
> >>

> >> What experiences have you had with this type?
> >
> >Probably imaginary.
> >
> >DT
>
> Them skanks is Hot!

No, you're just very desperate. And, sadly, openly so.