Vegetarian Discussion: Challenge To "pearl": Defend Your Absurdity.

Challenge To "pearl": Defend Your Absurdity.

Page:  Previous  1 2   (First | Last)

Shrubkiller
2006-09-06 12:37:02 EST

dh@. wrote:
> On Mon, 04 Sep 2006 02:04:52 -0400, .no-spam.invalid (Anonymous) wrote:
>
> >dh@. wrote:
> >> Supposedly people know what they think they think regarding
> >> issues they make claims about. Even when the claims seem
> >> completely absurd, people supposedly have some idea why
> >> they believe them IF they actually do. The apparent absurdity
> >> of some of the things you've written lately immediately produce
> >> questions regarding how they could possibly be true, or how
> >> you could possibly think they are whether they are or not.
> >> If there's any real thought behind what so far appears to
> >> be simply thoughtless desperation from a crazed "ara", try
> >> answering these questions you've forced me to wonder about
> >> and share the thought process(es) which caused you to arrive
> >> at what appears to be mere confusion and bewilderment.
> >> _____________________________________________________
> >> You wrote....I asked:
> >>
> >> Frogs are as mobile as the next creature. Any there could easily
> >> move on as the fields dry.
> >>
> >> How would they know what was happening? How would they
> >> know where the water went? How far would they have to travel
> >> in order to get to it? What would keep them from getting killed
> >> by predators IF they hopped along trying to get there? What
> >> would keep them from dehydrating even IF they did know where
> >> to go, tried to get there, and didn't get killed by predators?
> >>

> >When a water hole or creek starts drying up frogs will either move
>
> How would they know what was happening? How would they
> know where the water went?

Why would they care? It only matters that there is none, not where it
went.

How far would they have to travel
> in order to get to it?

That would depend on the situation wouldn't it?

What would keep them from getting killed
> by predators IF they hopped along trying to get there?

Gee, predators! What an outrage. Of all species, frogs should be
protected from predators.

What
> would keep them from dehydrating even IF they did know where
> to go, tried to get there, and didn't get killed by predators?

How about assuming what the rest of us already know; that frogs will
usually dig into the mud or dig in under rocks.

> >or dig themselves down into the mud and await the next freshet
> >of water.
>
> Before that happens the harvesting equipment would crush
> many of them. Also predators like racoons etc would dig up
> and kill many that survive the harvesting.

You know this exactly how?

Of those who do
> survive until the water returns many of them will be killed by
> waterfowl in diderot's case, and those that survive the birds
> will again have to survive more draining. Those that dig into
> the mud and survive again for a while will be killed later when
> the ground is turned for planting...
>
> "rice has to grow in water, so it is flooded in april, drained for
> harvest in july/august, reflooded and drained in october. we flood in
> mid-december for waterfowl, and drain in february. in february and
> march, the land is disced and planed." - diderot

D*@.
2006-09-07 12:47:38 EST
On 6 Sep 2006 09:37:02 -0700, "shrubkiller" <shrubkiller@excite.com> wrote:

>*h@. wrote:

>> >When a water hole or creek starts drying up frogs will either move
>>
>> How would they know what was happening? How would they
>> know where the water went?
>
>Why would they care?

It's her and now your fantasy.

>It only matters that there is none, not where it went.

So when they "move on" there's no reason to think they
would go in a direction that isn't even drier.

> How far would they have to travel
>> in order to get to it?
>

>That would depend on the situation wouldn't it?

Of course. But since you people are promoting the idea
that frogs don't die when the fields are drained I'm trying
to learn how you think they survive, and so far you don't
appear to think about it.

> What would keep them from getting killed
>> by predators IF they hopped along trying to get there?
>

>Gee, predators! What an outrage. Of all species, frogs should be
>protected from predators.

So far it seems they die, as I've been pointing out.

> What
>> would keep them from dehydrating even IF they did know where
>> to go, tried to get there, and didn't get killed by predators?
>

>How about assuming what the rest of us already know; that frogs will
>usually dig into the mud or dig in under rocks.

Up until now YOU have been trying to defend the argument that:
" Frogs are as mobile as the next creature. Any there could easily
move on as the fields dry." Now you've put your tail between your
legs and are yelping off in an entirely different direction.

>> >or dig themselves down into the mud and await the next freshet
>> >of water.
>>
>> Before that happens the harvesting equipment would crush
>> many of them. Also predators like racoons etc would dig up
>> and kill many that survive the harvesting.
>

>You know this exactly how?

Raccoons eat frogs, and they dig:
Raccoons will eat whatever their environment provides. In the rural
environment, they eat insects, nuts, worms, frogs, shellfish, fish, mammals,
birds, eggs, grubs, snakes, and fruits.
. . .
Raccoons dig in search of worms, insects and grubs (tiny, wormlike larval
stages of insects that live in lawns). The good news is that they wont eat
your plants. The bad news is that they will dig them up to get at the food
source in the soil below.

http://www.ventura.org/animreg/raccoons.html
Do you think they don't eat frogs they find while digging? If so, why?
Snakes dig them up too:
The Eastern Hognose . . . Note that upturned nose. A very distinctive feature.
It is used for digging toads and frogs up.

http://www.hr-rna.com/RNA/Reptile%20pages/Hognose%20page.htm