Vegetarian Discussion: FDA APPROVES VIRAL ADULTERATION OF OUR FOOD SUPPLY

FDA APPROVES VIRAL ADULTERATION OF OUR FOOD SUPPLY

Pearl
2006-08-26 07:30:12 EST
FDA APPROVES VIRAL ADULTERATION OF OUR
FOOD SUPPLY

By Byron J. Richards, CCN
August 24, 2006
NewsWithViews.com

On Friday, August 18, 2006, the FDA approved a viral cocktail
to be sprayed on foods we eat. This is the first time viruses have
been approved for use as food additives. The FDA wants you
to believe it will be safe to consume these viruses every day for
the rest of your life with no adverse health effects. Not surprisingly,
the FDA doesn't want you to know which foods are adulterated in
this manner, for fear you may not buy them; thus, no labeling will
be required. This is a monumental announcement by the FDA,
indicating they are throwing all caution to the wind regarding the
safety of our food supply.

Are you willing to stand in line for a virus-laden sandwich? How
do you like the idea of buying virus-infested food for your family?
The first virally contaminated foods entering our food supply with
the blessings of the FDA will be luncheon meat and poultry. Live
viruses will be sprayed on foods such as cold cuts, sausages, hot
dogs, sliced turkey, and chicken.

At issue is the very real problem of a poor quality FDA-approved
food supply that is already full of diseased and sickly animals,
many of them imported from other countries. The use of antibiotics
during growth and radiation during food processing is required by
the fast-food animal farms owned by multi-national companies to
cover up the horrendous health of the animals they wish to feed to
Americans. Animals in poor health are a friendly place for bacteria
to grow and prosper, especially after such meat goes to market.
Rather than address the source of the problem, the FDA wants to
add another adulteration into our food supply.

The stated goal of the new FDA-approved viruses is to kill a rare
bacterium known as Listeria monocytogenes. This bacterium is
killed by cooking; however, it poses a problem in meats that are
cooked during processing and not cooked again prior to
consumption, so it can readily infect foods such as deli meats.

Yes, the FDA plans to use one infectious organism to fight another.
The carnage of battle will end up in your digestive tract along with
the victorious live viruses, which the FDA assures us will not attack
human cells. However, they cannot possibly be certain the viruses
will not attack the friendly bacteria that make up the lining of your
digestive tract. And they want you to believe this is completely
safe while refusing to require the additive viruses to be listed on
the food label so that you would have a choice.

Turning Loose the Bacteria-Killing Viruses

The company that produces these biotech viruses is Baltimore-
based Intralytix, Inc. The viruses are known as bacteriophages,
viruses that kill bacteria, or phages for short. Phages have been
around a long time, living as parasites inside many bacteria.

Intralytix uses biotechnology to grow viral phages in a culture
with Listeria, in theory teaching the viruses to recognize the
bacteria. The FDA-approved cocktail contains six different
viruses intended to attack one strain of bacteria.

This concoction is then sprayed on food. If Listeria is present
in the food, the bacteria will ingest the viruses. This results in
massive viral replication inside the bacteria, until such point as
the bacteria simply bursts. This battle results in significant
production of bacterial poisons called "endotoxins", as the
bacteria tries to defend itself. When the bacteria burst, these
endotoxins are released. These, along with the victorious live
viruses, will now be on the food that will be eaten.

The FDA and Intralytix would like us to believe that these
viruses will only attack the specified bacteria they are intended
to kill and will be harmless to humans. I'm sorry to burst their
bubble, but they can't possibly guarantee such safety. It is true
that the viruses, at least at this time, cannot recognize human
cells. However, the virus can potentially recognize normal
bacterial cells in the human digestive tract and may be able to
adapt to infect one or more of these friendly bacteria.

The FDA Certainly Knows There Are Risks

The FDA had some concerns about the amount of bacterial
endotoxin in the Intralytix product before it is sprayed;
however, FDA tests apparently showed that the product was
adequately purified and so they declared it safe if used as
approved. Will the FDA diligently monitor the quality of this
product once it is on the market, or will it go the path of many
FDA-approved drugs that the agency can't keep track of?

There is certainly a risk that humans will be exposed to
excessive amounts of endotoxin. This could come from the
manufacturing of the viral cocktail, the interaction of the
viruses with bacteria after being sprayed on food, and/or the
interaction of the viruses with bacteria in the digestive tract.

The human immune system is highly reactive and sensitive
to bacterial endotoxins. They provoke allergy, asthma,
autoimmune problems, and elevate cholesterol. They also
interfere with the healthy function of cells lining the digestive
tract. Researchers have demonstrated that the presence of
bacterial endotoxins can start cancer in the colon.

Additionally, the human immune system reacts directly to
viral phages. Thus, a person who eats a lot of processed deli
meat is certain to evoke an immune reaction to the viruses.
What will this reaction be? Allergy? Asthma? Autoimmunity?
Cancer? How can the FDA approve a food additive that it
knows can induce a variety of human immune responses?
Phages are so good at disrupting normal immunity that they
are being considered for use as part of organ transplant
medicine.

The ingestion of significant amounts of viral phages into the
human digestive tract is a wild card full of unknown outcomes.
For example, it is certainly possible that these phages, which
constantly mutate in order to survive, are likely to find a way
to infect bacteria they were not intended to infect. Since
phages are parasites, they could hijack the friendly bacteria
of the digestive tract and turn them into viral machines,
constantly generating viral particles that are likely to confuse
the human immune system, if not directly infect the body.
We know from history that these viral phages can turn
innocuous bacteria into a killer, which is how cholera occurs.

Furthermore, the Listeria bacteria are not going to take the
issue lying down. They will develop resistance to the viruses
over time, as we have seen with the overuse of antibiotics.
Going down this path we are likely to have hundreds of
viral food additives in the food we eat, all designed to
combat some possible infection coming from poor quality
food. Sooner or later we will inadvertently create deadly
new super-strains of bacteria and/or parasitically infect the
human digestive tract with an untreatable infection.

There is also the very real possibility of unintended viral
recombination. What happens when a person with viral
stomach flu eats food containing a dose of this viral food
additive? It is certainly possible for the genetic material
of the flu virus to interact with the genetic material of the
viral phages, provoking an undesirable new viral infection.

Let's not forget that the FDA won't tell us which foods
in the food supply contain genetically modified organisms
(GMO). Seventy percent of the packaged food on grocery
shelves already contains GMO adulterated food. These
foods have viral promoter genes woven into the DNA of
every cell, a technique used to implant a pesticide toxin
into every cell of this fake food (see Fight for Your Health,
chapter 15). What happens when the viral phages interact
with the viral promoter genes in GMO food? What new
virus will be encouraged to form?

Keep in mind that the FDA wants to conduct this experiment
on our food supply to protect a small minority, only about
2500 people, who are made seriously ill by this infection
each year. The ill are mostly pregnant women, elderly with
compromised immunity, and small children. It would be a
lot more to the point if the FDA would simply warn such
people that eating these foods, due to their poor quality of
production, may be dangerous. What the FDA should really
do is improve the quality of our food supply, the true source
of the problem. Why expose millions of Americans to an
unproven ingestion of live viruses for the benefit of so few?

The FDA has failed miserably for the past century to protect
the public from the adulteration of our food supply by vested
interests. This is just one more insult added to a long list of
injuries.

The Tip of an Iceberg

Intralytix has an agenda for the American food supply, as well
as for healthcare in general. This recent FDA ruling allows
Intralytix and other similar biotech companies to get their foot
in a door that should be slammed shut and bolted closed.

The company is also seeking FDA approval for viral sprays
to treat foods that could be contaminated with E. coli and
Salmonella, which means that similar "trained" viruses could
end up in a majority of the protein foods in our food supply.

Intralytix sees financial opportunity. They have already
licensed their now FDA-approved viral spray to an undisclosed
multi-national company for use around the world. When the
CEO of Intralytix, John Vazzara, was recently asked about this
partner company, he refused to disclose their name. The grand
profit-driven biotech experiment on the health and well being of
all Americans is now in full swing.

Of course, we will need new wonder drugs to combat the new
bio-tech produced infections. Americans will stay sick and the
sickness-driven bio-tech industry will flourish. The bio-tech
industry will make people sick on the front end and treat them
on the back end. It's a win-win situation for profit on illness.

The FDA is Rapidly Becoming a Public Enemy

Experimenting with viruses being added to the food supply is
incredibly dangerous and reckless. It is completely impossible
for the FDA to guarantee safety in the near term or the long
term. Thus, the FDA has made the bureaucratic decision that
relative safety is acceptable to them. What right does the
FDA have to tamper with the food supply in this manner?

It is quite clear that the Bush agenda has been to promote
American biotech companies as the new future for American
prosperity. Administrative opinions have trumped science in
virtually every situation wherein safety conflicts with profit.

The FDA will refuse to require labeling on food sprayed with
viruses, just as they refuse to require notification that food
has been genetically modified and contains toxins in every cell.
The reason is obvious; no person understanding these issues
would buy or eat such food. Thus, the FDA acts to hide the
information from the public to foster profits for biotech
companies and the growth of the biotech industry. This is a
betrayal of the public trust.

The leaders of the FDA are personally responsible and need
to be held accountable. This means Andrew von Eschenbach,
M.D., temporary head of the FDA and his chief science officer,
Scott Gottlieb, M.D. These men are not only obsessed with
approving risky drugs for the benefits of Big Pharma, it is now
clear that they are willing to allow obvious adulteration of the
food supply. They seek to control what we eat, and they are
tampering with survival of the human race.

The FDA does not truly know how safe viral phages are to
consume on a regular basis. They have no idea of the cumulative
effect over the course of a lifetime, especially as more of these
viral cocktails are added to the food supply. They have no way
to measure how this new type of adulteration in the food supply
will interact with the poor digestive/immune health of half the
American population, in combination with all the other serious
adulterations already approved by the FDA. The FDA lacks due
diligence in honoring its mandate to protect the American public.
Boycott Viral Tainted Foods, Support Your Sustainable Farmers

The only hope Americans have is to resurrect the quality of our
food supply. Doing so is against the odds, as there are billions of
dollars of profit-mongering taking our food supply in the wrong
direction. One day Americans will realize that food security is as
important to national security as any other topic. It is now crystal
clear that we cannot count on the FDA to do the job that Harvey
Wiley, M.D., envisioned one-hundred years ago.

How can any responsible parent feed virus-tainted food to their
children? The FDA should be forced to revoke this approval.
Since the FDA is refusing to make food companies list the
viruses as ingredients in food, consumers have no choice but
to avoid buying all foods that could be sprayed. I see no other
way that safety can be assured, since the FDA refuses to do its
job and is putting American's health at risk.

Every American has an obligation to support food security for
our nation. Congress must correct the leadership at the FDA
and the FDA itself. Americans must quit buying poor quality
toxic food. Your greatest ability to change this problem is
based entirely on what you purchase.

Get connected to the sustainable family farms in your community.
Buy meat that is range raised without antibiotics and synthetic
growth hormones. Demand that the food you are eating is labeled
with a country of origin. Buy American; buy locally-produced
food whenever possible. Support those who truly believe in being
the stewards of our land and food for our people and for future
generations. These good people are being squashed out of existence
by multi-national agribusiness, companies that could truly care less
about the quality of our food supply or the security and health of
Americans. How you spend your money is your most powerful vote.
Vote for those who care.

-------

Byron J. Richards, Founder/Director of Wellness Resources,
is a Board-Certified Clinical Nutritionist and nationally-renowned
health expert, radio personality, educator, and author.
http://www.newswithviews.com/Richards/byron7.htm

I'll add: Go VEGAN - for health, animals, and the planet.

Jeff
2006-08-26 08:11:57 EST

"pearl" <tea@signguestbook.ie> wrote in message
> FDA APPROVES VIRAL ADULTERATION OF OUR
> FOOD SUPPLY
>
> By Byron J. Richards, CCN
> August 24, 2006
> NewsWithViews.com
>
> On Friday, August 18, 2006, the FDA approved a viral cocktail
> to be sprayed on foods we eat. This is the first time viruses have
> been approved for use as food additives. The FDA wants you
> to believe it will be safe to consume these viruses every day for
> the rest of your life with no adverse health effects. Not surprisingly,
> the FDA doesn't want you to know which foods are adulterated in
> this manner, for fear you may not buy them; thus, no labeling will
> be required. This is a monumental announcement by the FDA,
> indicating they are throwing all caution to the wind regarding the
> safety of our food supply.

Yeah, viruses that attack bacteria and not people are worse than getting
sick from bad meat.

Whether you know it or not, your body is exposed to billions and billions of
different viruses and bacteria every day.

Have you looked at the research that the FDA looked at to determine the
safety of this?

Have you thought about whether Byron Richards is unbiased?

jeff

Pearl
2006-08-26 08:28:58 EST
"Jeff" <jeff@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:hUWHg.14068$xp2.6203@newsread1.news.pas.earthlink.net...

> "pearl" <tea@signguestbook.ie> wrote in message
> > FDA APPROVES VIRAL ADULTERATION OF OUR
> > FOOD SUPPLY
> >
> > By Byron J. Richards, CCN
> > August 24, 2006
> > NewsWithViews.com
> >
> > On Friday, August 18, 2006, the FDA approved a viral cocktail
> > to be sprayed on foods we eat. This is the first time viruses have
> > been approved for use as food additives. The FDA wants you
> > to believe it will be safe to consume these viruses every day for
> > the rest of your life with no adverse health effects. Not surprisingly,
> > the FDA doesn't want you to know which foods are adulterated in
> > this manner, for fear you may not buy them; thus, no labeling will
> > be required. This is a monumental announcement by the FDA,
> > indicating they are throwing all caution to the wind regarding the
> > safety of our food supply.
>

> Yeah, viruses that attack bacteria and not people are worse than getting
> sick from bad meat.

Go Vegan.

> Whether you know it or not, your body is exposed to billions and billions of
> different viruses and bacteria every day.

'The ingestion of significant amounts of viral phages into the
human digestive tract is a wild card full of unknown outcomes.
For example, it is certainly possible that these phages, which
constantly mutate in order to survive, are likely to find a way
to infect bacteria they were not intended to infect. Since
phages are parasites, they could hijack the friendly bacteria
of the digestive tract and turn them into viral machines,
constantly generating viral particles that are likely to confuse
the human immune system, if not directly infect the body.
We know from history that these viral phages can turn
innocuous bacteria into a killer, which is how cholera occurs.'

> Have you looked at the research that the FDA looked at to determine the
> safety of this?

'The FDA and Intralytix would like us to believe that these
viruses will only attack the specified bacteria they are intended
to kill and will be harmless to humans. I'm sorry to burst their
bubble, but they can't possibly guarantee such safety. It is true
that the viruses, at least at this time, cannot recognize human
cells. However, the virus can potentially recognize normal
bacterial cells in the human digestive tract and may be able to
adapt to infect one or more of these friendly bacteria.'

> Have you thought about whether Byron Richards is unbiased?
>
> jeff

What might he gain from writing that? Are *you* unbiased?

S*@yahoo.com
2006-08-28 08:51:47 EST

pearl wrote:
> "Jeff" <jeff@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:hUWHg.14068$xp2.6203@newsread1.news.pas.earthlink.net...
> >
> > "pearl" <tea@signguestbook.ie> wrote in message
> > > FDA APPROVES VIRAL ADULTERATION OF OUR
> > > FOOD SUPPLY
> > >
> > > By Byron J. Richards, CCN
> > > August 24, 2006
> > > NewsWithViews.com
> > >
> > > On Friday, August 18, 2006, the FDA approved a viral cocktail
> > > to be sprayed on foods we eat. This is the first time viruses have
> > > been approved for use as food additives. The FDA wants you
> > > to believe it will be safe to consume these viruses every day for
> > > the rest of your life with no adverse health effects. Not surprisingly,
> > > the FDA doesn't want you to know which foods are adulterated in
> > > this manner, for fear you may not buy them; thus, no labeling will
> > > be required. This is a monumental announcement by the FDA,
> > > indicating they are throwing all caution to the wind regarding the
> > > safety of our food supply.
> >

> > Yeah, viruses that attack bacteria and not people are worse than getting
> > sick from bad meat.
>
> Go Vegan.
>
> > Whether you know it or not, your body is exposed to billions and billions of
> > different viruses and bacteria every day.
>
> 'The ingestion of significant amounts of viral phages into the
> human digestive tract is a wild card full of unknown outcomes.
> For example, it is certainly possible that these phages, which
> constantly mutate in order to survive, are likely to find a way
> to infect bacteria they were not intended to infect. Since
> phages are parasites, they could hijack the friendly bacteria
> of the digestive tract and turn them into viral machines,
> constantly generating viral particles that are likely to confuse
> the human immune system, if not directly infect the body.
> We know from history that these viral phages can turn
> innocuous bacteria into a killer, which is how cholera occurs.'
>
> > Have you looked at the research that the FDA looked at to determine the
> > safety of this?
>
> 'The FDA and Intralytix would like us to believe that these
> viruses will only attack the specified bacteria they are intended
> to kill and will be harmless to humans. I'm sorry to burst their
> bubble, but they can't possibly guarantee such safety. It is true
> that the viruses, at least at this time, cannot recognize human
> cells. However, the virus can potentially recognize normal
> bacterial cells in the human digestive tract and may be able to
> adapt to infect one or more of these friendly bacteria.'
>
> > Have you thought about whether Byron Richards is unbiased?
> >
> > jeff
>
> What might he gain from writing that? Are *you* unbiased?

More info:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Listeria_monocytogenes

It may well be that these things are no worse or even better than other
antibiotics they market routinely to poor suckers just trying to
practice their traditional animal sacrifice rituals.

However, even the staunchest anti-veg* posters here will agree these
mass-produced "lunch meats" are no good for anyone exept perhaps a few
industry executives and some cancer docs.

Pearl
2006-08-28 09:26:55 EST
<*4@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:1156769507.892600.241080@h48g2000cwc.googlegroups.com...

> [...]

interaction of the viruses with bacteria in the digestive tract.

The human immune system is highly reactive and sensitive
to bacterial endotoxins. They provoke allergy, asthma,
autoimmune problems, and elevate cholesterol. They also
interfere with the healthy function of cells lining the digestive
tract. Researchers have demonstrated that the presence of
bacterial endotoxins can start cancer in the colon.

Additionally, the human immune system reacts directly to
viral phages. Thus, a person who eats a lot of processed deli
meat is certain to evoke an immune reaction to the viruses.
What will this reaction be? Allergy? Asthma? Autoimmunity?
Cancer? How can the FDA approve a food additive that it
knows can induce a variety of human immune responses?
Phages are so good at disrupting normal immunity that they
are being considered for use as part of organ transplant
medicine.' - ibid.

S*@yahoo.com
2006-08-28 09:50:14 EST

pearl wrote:
> [...]
> interaction of the viruses with bacteria in the digestive tract.
>
> The human immune system is highly reactive and sensitive
> to bacterial endotoxins. They provoke allergy, asthma,
> autoimmune problems, and elevate cholesterol. They also
> interfere with the healthy function of cells lining the digestive
> tract. Researchers have demonstrated that the presence of
> bacterial endotoxins can start cancer in the colon.
>
> Additionally, the human immune system reacts directly to
> viral phages. Thus, a person who eats a lot of processed deli
> meat is certain to evoke an immune reaction to the viruses.
> What will this reaction be? Allergy? Asthma? Autoimmunity?
> Cancer? How can the FDA approve a food additive that it
> knows can induce a variety of human immune responses?
> Phages are so good at disrupting normal immunity that they
> are being considered for use as part of organ transplant

Sorry, I posted the wrong link, to the bacteria they are trying to kill
and not to the viruses they are using.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bacteriophage

"One of the densest natural sources for phages and other viruses is sea
water, where up to 109 virions per millilitre have been found at the
surface, and up to 70% of marine bacteria may be infected by phages."

Pearl
2006-08-28 14:09:05 EST
<*4@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:1156773014.799611.261320@p79g2000cwp.googlegroups.com...

> pearl wrote:
> > <shevek4@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:1156769507.892600.241080@h48g2000cwc.googlegroups.com...

..

> "One of the densest natural sources for phages and other viruses is sea
> water, where up to 109 virions per millilitre have been found at the
> surface, and up to 70% of marine bacteria may be infected by phages."

Who drinks seawater on a regular basis? Here's more info':

'Phages Behaving Badly

Viruses can control how dangerous some bacteria are

For almost a century, some physicians have championed the medical
uses of bacteriophages, but others have been sobered by these viruses'
darker side. Acting as gene-delivery vans, phages can shuttle genetic
sequences among different bacterial species and strains - and that can
be bad news for people.

Not all phages destroy the bacteria they invade - at least not immediately.
Some infect bacteria and then lie dormant. The phages sometimes insert
their own genes, and any they've acquired by reproducing inside other
bacteria, into the chromosomes of their new host. These phage-delivered
genes make some bacteria dangerous, scientists have found.

In the 1950s, for example, investigators realized that the bacterium
Corynebacterium diphtheriae causes the upper respiratory illness known
as diphtheria only if a certain bacteriophage infects the microbe. The
phage, in fact, contains the gene for the toxin that triggers diphtheria. A
similar story emerged in the 1990s for cholera. This deadly disease is
attributed to infections by Vibrio cholera, but it's actually bacteriophages
genes inside the bacterium that carry the instructions for cholera toxin
(SN: 6/29/96, p. 404).

More recently, James M. Musser of the National Institute of Allergy and
Infectious Diseases in Hamilton, Mont., and his colleagues have fingered
phages as co-conspirators with bacteria known as group A Streptococcus
(GAS) in illnesses ranging from simple sore throats to heart-damaging
rheumatic fever and deadly toxic shock syndrome. When the researchers
probed the full genetic sequences, or genomes, of several GAS strains,
they were surprised to find that a significant part of each one's genome
consists of phage genes. Indeed, bacteriophages are the major source of
genetic differences among GAS strains and seem to account in large part
for strain differences in virulence, Musser reported in May at the
American Society for Microbiology meeting in Washington, D.C.

Last year, for example, his team determined that the GAS strain M18,
which causes acute rheumatic fever, contains phage genes that encode
toxins, but that another strain, which causes strep throat, doesn't have
those genes (SN: 3/30/02, p. 197: Available to subscribers at
http://www.sciencenews.org/20020330/fob5.asp). The investigators also
reported in the July 23, 2002 Proceedings of the National Academy of
Sciences that M3, an unusually deadly strain of GAS that produces
shock syndrome, has yet a different set of phage genes. And in the
Feb. 18, 2003, issue of that journal, Musser and his colleagues revealed
that when certain immune cells begin to engulf GAS bacteria, the
microbes activate several phage-derived genes. The function of these
genes remains unknown, but they appear to be part of the bacterium's
coordinated response to avoid destruction.

Scientists have also recently discovered that bacteriophages may do
more than just hand over toxin genes to a bacterium - sometimes, they
control the release of those toxins. Take the case of Escherichia coli, a
normally harmless gut bacterium. Strains of E. coli that produce a
molecule known as Shiga toxin can cause a deadly form of food poisoning.
The Shiga-toxin gene turns out to be a part of a phage genome that has
integrated itself into the DNA of some E. coli strains. The toxin gene
becomes active only when phage begin to reproduce inside an E. coli, says
Matthew K. Waldor of Tufts University School of Medicine in Boston.

Moreover, intact bacteria carrying the gene don't secrete Shiga toxin into
people. It's the rupture of the bacterial cells by phages that releases the
toxin, Waldor and his colleagues report in the May 2002 Molecular
Microbiology. If there's a mutation in the gene that the bacteriophages
use to disrupt bacterial membranes, the toxin merely builds up inside the
E. coli.

"Phages not only disseminate virulence genes but also regulate the
production of the virulence factors," says Waldor.

This discovery has brought a disconcerting fact about certain antibiotics
to light. Fluoroquinolones, the class of antibiotics that includes the anthrax-
fighting drug Cipro, actually trigger the activity of phage genes - and thus
can increase production of Shiga toxin, notes Waldor.

In the June Infection and Immunity, John F. Prescott of the University of
Guelph in Ontario and his colleagues say that fluoroquinolones also induce
the activity of a phage genome that typically lies dormant within
Streptococcus canis, a bacterium that normally harmlessly infects dogs and
some other animals. The recent use of these antibiotics in dogs may therefore
explain why veterinarians have recently reported some severe cases of toxic
shock syndrome and flesh-eating infections in dogs infected with S. canis.

Prescott wonders, "Is our use of certain antibiotics helping to spread phages,
which may also encourage the spread of virulence genes?"

http://www.sciencenews.org/articles/20030712/bob9.asp#Phages