Vegetarian Discussion: Support Ban On Importation And Sale Of Animals In California's Live Markets

Support Ban On Importation And Sale Of Animals In California's Live Markets
Posts: 11

Report Abuse

Use this form to report abuse or request takedown.
The requests are usually processed within 48 hours.

Page: 1 2   Next  (First | Last)

Pearl
2006-08-26 06:57:13 EST
From: In Defense of Animals
Sent: Saturday, August 26, 2006 2:45 AM

Support Ban on Importation and Sale of Animals
in California's Live Markets

Frogs and turtles often butchered while fully conscious
in street markets

The California Fish and Game Commission is considering
a ban on the importation and sale of turtles and frogs in live
markets. Animals in these live markets -- which are operated
mostly in Asian communities in large cities like San Francisco,
Oakland, Sacramento and Los Angeles -- are kept in crowded,
unsanitary conditions, routinely stacked four or five deep
without food or water. They are usually butchered while still
fully conscious. Turtles' shells may be sliced from their bodies
while they are still alive, and frogs are often thrown together
into plastic bags and smashed to death with heavy mallets.

None of the turtle or frog species sold in live markets are
native to California, causing environmental havoc when they
are released into local waters, a frequent though illegal
practice. These exotics compete with indigenous animals
for food and territory and spread devastating diseases and
parasites against which native populations have no defense.
Necropsies performed on frogs and turtles sold in markets
found the presence of salmonella, pasturella and E. coli, all
of which are potentially fatal to humans. Selling these
contaminated animals in open street markets poses serious
threats to public health.

What

Urge John Carlson, Executive Director of the State Fish and
Game Commission, to adopt language that would prohibit
both the importation and sale of frogs and turtles for live
markets in California.
http://ga0.org/campaign/CAlivemarketban?rk=NdSgS641gE%5fNE

Also contact him directly by postal mail, phone, fax or email.

John Carlson, Executive Director
State Fish and Game Commission
1416 Ninth Street
Sacramento, CA 95814
Tel: (916) 653-4899
Fax: (916) 653-5040
Email: JCarlson @ dfg.ca.gov



Pearl
2006-08-26 07:33:04 EST
..

From: In Defense of Animals
Sent: Saturday, August 26, 2006 2:45 AM

Support Ban on Importation and Sale of Animals
in California's Live Markets

Frogs and turtles often butchered while fully conscious
in street markets

The California Fish and Game Commission is considering
a ban on the importation and sale of turtles and frogs in live
markets. Animals in these live markets -- which are operated
mostly in Asian communities in large cities like San Francisco,
Oakland, Sacramento and Los Angeles -- are kept in crowded,
unsanitary conditions, routinely stacked four or five deep
without food or water. They are usually butchered while still
fully conscious. Turtles' shells may be sliced from their bodies
while they are still alive, and frogs are often thrown together
into plastic bags and smashed to death with heavy mallets.

None of the turtle or frog species sold in live markets are
native to California, causing environmental havoc when they
are released into local waters, a frequent though illegal
practice. These exotics compete with indigenous animals
for food and territory and spread devastating diseases and
parasites against which native populations have no defense.
Necropsies performed on frogs and turtles sold in markets
found the presence of salmonella, pasturella and E. coli, all
of which are potentially fatal to humans. Selling these
contaminated animals in open street markets poses serious
threats to public health.

What YOU cand do

Urge John Carlson, Executive Director of the State Fish and
Game Commission, to adopt language that would prohibit
both the importation and sale of frogs and turtles for live
markets in California.
http://ga0.org/campaign/CAlivemarketban?rk=NdSgS641gE%5fNE

Also contact him directly by postal mail, phone, fax or email.

John Carlson, Executive Director
State Fish and Game Commission
1416 Ninth Street
Sacramento, CA 95814
Tel: (916) 653-4899
Fax: (916) 653-5040
Email: JCarlson @ dfg.ca.gov





Pearl
2006-08-26 07:43:17 EST

.. oops... well... PLEASE act! Click on this link
http://ga0.org/campaign/CAlivemarketban?rk=NdSgS641gE%5fNE
and send the pre-written letter, or write your own.

'All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good
men do nothing' - Edmund Burke

.. The same sort of horror goes on in 'factory farms' and
slaughterhouses across the country. Go VEGAN today!

- Let Live, and LIVE!



Branson Hunter
2006-08-26 11:55:49 EST
.Pearl wrote:

> From: In Defense of Animals
> Sent: Saturday, August 26, 2006 2:45 AM
>
> Support Ban on [butchering live animans in California markets]...

Thank you for posting this message and urging people to contact the
Fish & Game Department supporting the band on slaughtering live
animals in California markets.

Branson
Click on the link
Send an instant email
Do somethning meaningful today.


Jafo
2006-08-26 12:16:45 EST
As viewed from alt.california, Branson Hunter wrote:

>.Pearl wrote:
>>Support Ban on [butchering live animans in California markets]...
>>
>>The California Fish and Game Commission is considering
>>a ban on the importation and sale of turtles and frogs in live
>>markets. Animals in these live markets -- which are operated
>>mostly in Asian communities in large cities like San Francisco,
>>Oakland, Sacramento and Los Angeles -- are kept in crowded,
>>unsanitary conditions, routinely stacked four or five deep
>>without food or water. They are usually butchered while still
>>fully conscious. Turtles' shells may be sliced from their bodies
>>while they are still alive, and frogs are often thrown together
>>into plastic bags and smashed to death with heavy mallets.
>>
>>None of the turtle or frog species sold in live markets are
>>native to California, causing environmental havoc when they
>>are released into local waters, a frequent though illegal
>>practice. These exotics compete with indigenous animals
>>for food and territory and spread devastating diseases and
>>parasites against which native populations have no defense.
>>Necropsies performed on frogs and turtles sold in markets
>>found the presence of salmonella, pasturella and E. coli, all
>>of which are potentially fatal to humans. Selling these
>>contaminated animals in open street markets poses serious
>>threats to public health.

>Thank you for posting this message and urging people to contact the
>Fish & Game Department supporting the band on slaughtering live
>animals in California markets.

I agree completely, but those who oppose this sort of treatment
of animals had better be prepared to be branded as racists because
that's what often happens. You're in the position of opposing the
cultural habits of a minority group... never mind the fact that
those habits are dangerously unhealthful to humans in addition
to being cruel to the animals involved.

--
Jafo

Hc23hc
2006-08-26 14:51:39 EST
Dirty Uncle Jafo fluffed:
> Branson Hunter wrote:
> >
> >.Pearl wrote:
> >>Support Ban on [butchering live animans in California markets]...
> >>
> >>The California Fish and Game Commission is considering
> >>a ban on the importation and sale of turtles and frogs in live
> >>markets. Animals in these live markets -- which are operated
> >>mostly in Asian communities in large cities like San Francisco,
> >>Oakland, Sacramento and Los Angeles -- are kept in crowded,
> >>unsanitary conditions, routinely stacked four or five deep
> >>without food or water. They are usually butchered while still
> >>fully conscious. Turtles' shells may be sliced from their bodies
> >>while they are still alive, and frogs are often thrown together
> >>into plastic bags and smashed to death with heavy mallets.
> >
> >
> >Thank you for posting this message and urging people to contact the
> >Fish & Game Department supporting the band on slaughtering live
> >animals in California markets.
>
> I agree completely, but those who oppose this sort of treatment
> of animals had better be prepared to be branded as racists because
> that's what often happens.

Come off it, Jafo old poof. Fact is, you've only ever been
*temporarily tattooed* (the final kosher solution to this dilemma) a
racist, for reasons having nothing to do with cruelty to animals:
mainly, surprise-surprise, for being a racist.

Which is what you are, Jafo... a stealth racist, to be more exact.

> You're in the position of opposing the cultural habits of a minority group...

...but in a loving way, in a fashion which does not betray humanity.

There's a big difference, Jafo, albeit one too sophisticated by far for
the sleazy stealth racist likes of you, whose wont it is to egg on
third-party stormtroopers to invade and decimate *entire minority
cultures* and their native habitats of which he himself -- that's you,
Jafo -- never takes any action to gain more than the slightest and, at
best, second-hand insight.

Your obsession with other cultures, especially minorities, is entirely
negative and unhealthy, Jafo. That doesn't mean everyone else has to
inflict theirs upon others the same way as yours would be, if you had
your racist way and a legion of war-criminally minded thugs like The
Pervert to do your bidding.

> never mind the fact that those habits are dangerously unhealthful to
> humans in addition to being cruel to the animals involved.

Then, Jafo, there's the unsanitary issue of the way you treat your
prehensile butt turtle, known to readers as "DCIWuvWarCrime". A mallet
on the head is going a bit far in jump-starting DCIWuv's electric
wheelchair whenever he forgets to charge it to the taxpayer.

I for one won't ever call you a racist for not always washing your
hands after touching DCIWuv, Jafo, tempting though it be... for you to
keep touching him, I mean.

Wiping yourself off on Branson's coat-tails won't get rid of the stench
of racism which forever adheres to you, Jafo. No matter how hard you
scrub.

Only renouncing the Way of The Racist will accomplish that deep-down
depth of sanitization which you're now apparently seeking, but have yet
to achieve.


.
.
.


Jafo
2006-08-26 15:30:37 EST
As viewed from alt.california, hc23hc wrote:

>Dirty Uncle Jafo fluffed:
>>Branson Hunter wrote:
>>>Thank you for posting this message and urging people to contact
>>>the Fish & Game Department supporting the band on slaughtering
>>>live animals in California markets.

>>I agree completely, but those who oppose this sort of treatment
>>of animals had better be prepared to be branded as racists because
>>that's what often happens.

>Come off it, Jafo old poof. Fact is, you've only ever been
>*temporarily tattooed* (the final kosher solution to this dilemma)
>a racist, for reasons having nothing to do with cruelty to animals:
>mainly, surprise-surprise, for being a racist.
>
>Which is what you are, Jafo... a stealth racist, to be more exact.

>>You're in the position of opposing the cultural habits of a
>>minority group...

>...but in a loving way, in a fashion which does not betray humanity.
>
>There's a big difference, Jafo, albeit one too sophisticated by far
>for the sleazy stealth racist likes of you, whose wont it is to egg
>on third-party stormtroopers to invade and decimate *entire minority
>cultures* and their native habitats of which he himself -- that's
>you, Jafo -- never takes any action to gain more than the slightest
>and, at best, second-hand insight.
>
>Your obsession with other cultures, especially minorities, is
>entirely negative and unhealthy, Jafo. That doesn't mean everyone
>else has to inflict theirs upon others the same way as yours would
>be, if you had your racist way and a legion of war-criminally minded
>thugs like The Pervert to do your bidding.

>>never mind the fact that those habits are dangerously unhealthful
>>to humans in addition to being cruel to the animals involved.

>Then, Jafo, there's the unsanitary issue of the way you treat your
>prehensile butt turtle, known to readers as "DCIWuvWarCrime". A
>mallet on the head is going a bit far in jump-starting DCIWuv's
>electric wheelchair whenever he forgets to charge it to the
>taxpayer.
>
>I for one won't ever call you a racist for not always washing your
>hands after touching DCIWuv, Jafo, tempting though it be... for you
>to keep touching him, I mean.
>
>Wiping yourself off on Branson's coat-tails won't get rid of the
>stench of racism which forever adheres to you, Jafo. No matter how
>hard you scrub.
>
>Only renouncing the Way of The Racist will accomplish that deep-down
>depth of sanitization which you're now apparently seeking, but have
>yet to achieve.

Once again you offer an immediate knee-jerk response that proves my
point. By now, it's obvious to all posters that you simply can't
help yourself whenever you see a post authored by Jafo.

<push>
<jump!>
--
Jafo

Branson Hunter
2006-08-26 18:13:31 EST
Jafo wrote:
> As viewed from alt.california, Branson Hunter wrote:
>
> >.Pearl wrote:
> >>Support Ban on [butchering live animans in California markets]...

[Deleted text]

Branson wrote:
> >Thank you for posting this message and urging people to contact the
> >Fish & Game Department supporting the band on slaughtering live
> >animals in California markets.

Jafo wrote:
> I agree completely,

Your stock goes up a couple of points.

>but those who oppose this sort of treatment of animals had better
>be prepared to be branded as racists because that's what often
>happens.

I'm prepared.... However I think that race bating usually is pretty
glib these days regarding something like this and -- ever though it
could or may happen -- it's not going to work very well. In the '70
it was a good tool that worked sometimes when necessary and
often when it was purely peripheral nonsence.

>You're in the position of opposing the cultural habits of a minority group...

Then so be it. This is the U.S. We don't go to the city part
and defeather and gut the ducks. Same applies if this ban goes
into effect. What's next, slaughtering live dogs and roasting the
hindquarter.

>never mind the fact that those habits are dangerously unhealthful
>to humans in addition to being cruel to the animals involved.

Branson
Just to tweak you a little bit, how was that streak you eat last week?


Pearl
2006-08-30 08:59:30 EST
"Branson Hunter" <bh2322@netzero.net> wrote in message news:1156607749.643696.139300@b28g2000cwb.googlegroups.com...
> .Pearl wrote:
>
> > From: In Defense of Animals
> > Sent: Saturday, August 26, 2006 2:45 AM
> >
> > Support Ban on [butchering live animans in California markets]...
>
> Thank you for posting this message and urging people to contact the
> Fish & Game Department supporting the band on slaughtering live
> animals in California markets.
>
> Branson
> Click on the link
> Send an instant email
> Do somethning meaningful today.

You're very welcome. Thank you. Here's another California alert:

From: In Defense of Animals
Sent: Tuesday, August 29, 2006 9:37 PM

California Residents: Help Protect Companion Animals from
Dying in Hot Cars

Update: Good News! SB 1806 recently passed the California
Senate and Assembly and now moves to the Governor for approval.
Take Action today!

Senator Liz Figueroa recently introduced SB 1806, co-sponsored
by API, a bill that would make it unlawful to leave a companion
animal unattended in a motor vehicle under conditions, such as
extreme heat, that could endanger the health of the animal.

Please Take Action today to encourage Governor Schwarzenegger
to sign this important bill.

<click here to send letter>
http://ga0.org/campaign/SB1806AnimalsHotCars

'What's At Stake:

Every year, companion animals, especially dogs, lose their lives due
to extreme temperatures that arise while the animals are left unattended
in parked vehicles. The tragic deaths are entirely preventable.

Most people simply don't realize how quickly closed unattended cars
or trucks can become stifling death traps. When it's 85 degrees out,
the temperature inside a car, even with the windows left slightly open,
can soar to 102 degrees in 10 minutes, and can reach 120 in just half
an hour. Because California is a warm state, police officers, animal
control officers and humane officers increasingly report incidents of
animals being left to suffer in cars without adequate ventilation and
with rapidly rising temperatures. These tragic deaths are entirely
preventable.

This bill will go a long way in protecting companion animals from
dying in unattended motor vehicles.

http://ga0.org/campaign/SB1806AnimalsHotCars/explanation





B*@yahoo.com
2006-09-05 05:11:03 EST
pearl wrote:
> .. oops... well... PLEASE act! Click on this link
> http://ga0.org/campaign/CAlivemarketban?rk=NdSgS641gE%5fNE
> and send the pre-written letter, or write your own.
>
> 'All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good
> men do nothing' - Edmund Burke
>
> .. The same sort of horror goes on in 'factory farms' and
> slaughterhouses across the country. Go VEGAN today!
>
> - Let Live, and LIVE!

It is something we need to work for. For some of us, it is more gradual
than for others. I started by not eating veal and gradually stopped
eating meat altogether. For me, it was a moral decision based on the
cruel and unsanitary methods of factory farming and rendering of
animals. The moral decision started it but now I am disgusted at the
thought of eating the flesh of animals.

Page: 1 2   Next  (First | Last)


2020 - UsenetArchives.com | Contact Us | Privacy | Stats | Site Search
Become our Patron