Vegetarian Discussion: CNN-IBN - 'INDIA: LAND OF NON-VEGGIES; BOOZERS'

CNN-IBN - 'INDIA: LAND OF NON-VEGGIES; BOOZERS'

And/or Www.mantra.com/jai Dr. Jai Maharaj
2006-08-15 03:40:47 EST
India: land of non-veggies; boozers

CNN-IBN
Posted Sunday, August 13, 2006
Updated Monday, August 14, 2006

New Delhi: If you thought India is largely a vegetarian
country, then think again. An exclusive survey conducted
by CNN-IBN and The Hindu have found majority of Indians
to be non-vegetarians.

The food habits, however, varied on the basis of region
and religion.

The survey reveals, while just 2 per cent of Kerala
residents are vegetarian, less than 4 per cent survive on
greens in Andhra Pradesh and 8 per cent in Orissa and
Tamil Nadu.

The percentage of vegetarian families are higher in
northern India, with Rajasthan accounting for 63 per cent
vegetarian people, Haryana 62 per cent, Punjab 48 per
cent, Gujarat 45 per cent, Madhya Pradesh 35 per cent and
Uttar Pradesh 33 per cent. There are 9 per cent others
who are vegetarians but they eat eggs.

Overall, only 31 per cent individuals prefer vegetarian
food and 60 per cent others have shown a definite
preference for non-vegetarian food.

In the overall count, 21 per cent Indian families are
pure vegetarians while 44 per cent families prefer having
non-vegetarian food.

And 32 per cent families have people who eat both
vegetarian as well as non-vegetarian foods.

When it comes to beverages, tea and coffee remain the
most favoured drinks with as many as 77 per cent people
consuming tea or coffee on a daily basis while 44 per
cent have milk everyday.

The percentage of people who consume soft drinks on a
daily basis is still a low 15 per cent.

The survey, however, found that drinking habits were on
the rise in both urban and rural areas in the last
decade. As many as 40 per cent people agreed that alcohol
consumption has increased considerably while 24 per cent
believe that it has increased only a little.

Fourteen per cent people thought drinking has gone down
in the last decade.

As many as 73 per cent people said the government should
ban consumption of alcohol and while 18 per cent others
said it should be left to the individual's choice.

The survey also found 21 per cent people to be regular
smokers.

When asked about the quality of food available now as
compared to their parents' generation, 45 per cent people
said the quality has improved.

However, it was alarming is that almost one-third of the
Indians still go without two square meals a day.

As many as 27 per cent Indians said in the survey that
they experienced hunger sometimes in the last one year.
That means one-third of India has experienced hunger
often or sometimes in the last one year.

However, 65 per cent Indians say that they never
experienced hunger in the last one year.

Incidence of hunger is higher among the rural poor with
45 per cent having experienced it. Over 40 per cent
people in the urban poor category have experienced
hunger.

Among dalits, 44 per cent say they have slept on a hungry
stomach often during the last one year while 50 per cent
Adivasis have experienced hunger at some point or the
other during the last one year.

More at:
http://www.ibnlive.com/news/poll-nonveg-buzz-in-indian-kitchens/18443-3.html

This news story is another validation
of my observation that Hindus are a
minority in Bharat. - Jai Maharaj

WHY HINDUS DON'T EAT MEAT

Besides being an expression of compassion for animals,
vegetarianism is followed for ecological and health
rationales

REASONS

In the past fifty years, millions of meat-eaters --
Hindus and non-Hindus -- have made the personal decision
to stop eating the flesh of other creatures. There are
five major motivations for such a decision:

1. The Dharmic Law Reason

Ahinsa, the law of noninjury, is the Hindu's first
duty in fulfilling religious obligations to God and God's
creation as defined by Vedic scripture.

2. The Karmic Consequences Reason

All of our actions, including our choice of food,
have Karmic consequences. By involving oneself in the
cycle of inflicting injury, pain and death, even
indirectly by eating other creatures, one must in the
future experience in equal measure the suffering caused.

3. The Spiritual Reason

Food is the source of the body's chemistry, and what
we ingest affects our consciousnes, emotions and
experiential patterns. If one wants to live in higher
consciousness, in peace and happiness and love for all
creatures, then he cannot eat meat, fish, shellfish, fowl
or eggs. By ingesting the grosser chemistries of animal
foods, one introduces into the body and mind anger,
jealousy, anxiety, suspicion and a terrible fear of
death, all of which are locked into the the flesh of the
butchered creatures. For these reasons, vegetarians live
in higher consciousness and meat-eaters abide in lower
consciousness.

4. The Health Reason

Medical studies prove that a vegetarian diet is
easier to digest, provides a wider ranger of nutrients
and imposes fewer burdens and impurities on the body.
Vegetarians are less susceptible to all the major
diseases that afflict contemporary humanity, and thus
live longer, healthier, more productive lives. They have
fewer physical complaints, less frequent visits to the
doctor, fewer dental problems and smaller medical bills.
Their immune system is stronger, their bodies are purer,
more refined and skin more beautiful.

5. The Ecological Reason

Planet Earth is suffereing. In large measure, the
escalating loss of species, destruction of ancient
rainforests to create pasture lands for live stock, loss
of topsoils and the consequent increase of water
impurities and air pollution have all been traced to the
single fact of meat in the human diet. No decision that
we can make as individuals or as a race can have such a
dramatic effect on the improvement of our planetary
ecology as the decision not to eat meat.

HISTORY

The book FOOD FOR THE SPIRIT, VEGETARIANISM AND THE WORLD
RELIGIONS, observes, "Despite popular knowledge of meat-
eating's adverse effects, the nonvegetarian diet became
increasingly widespread among the Hindus after the two
major invasions by foreign powers, first the Muslims and
later the British. With them came the desire to be
'civilized,' to eat as did the Saheeb. Those atually
trained in Vedic knowledge, however, never adopted a
meat-oriented diet, and the pious Hindu still observes
vegetarian principles as a matter of religious duty.

"That vegetarianism has always been widespread in
India is clear from the earliest Vedic texts. This was
observed by the ancient traveler Megasthenes and also by
Fa-Hsien, a Chinese Buddhist monk who, in the fifth
century, traveled to India in order to obtain authentic
copies of the scriptures.

"These scriptures unambiguously support the meatless
way of life. In the MAHABHARAT, for instance, the great
warrior Bheeshm explains to Yuddhishtira, eldest of the
Paandav princes, that the meat of animals is like the
flesh of one's own son. Similarly, the MANUSMRITI
declares that one should 'refrain from eating all kinds
of meat,' for such eating involves killing and and leads
to Karmic bondage (Bandh) [5.49]. Elsewhere in the Vedic
literature, the last of the great Vedic kings, Maharaja
Parikshit, is quoted as saying that 'only the animal-
killer cannot relish the message of the Absolute Truth
[Shrimad Bhagvatam 10.1.4].'"

SCRIPTURE

He who desires to augment his own flesh by eating the
flesh of other creatures lives in misery in whatever
species he may take his birth. MAHABHARAT 115.47

Those high-souled persons who desire beauty,
faultlessness of limbs, long life, understanding, mental
and physical strength and memory should abstain from acts
of injury. MAHABHARAT 18.115.8

The very name of cow is Aghnya ["not to be killed"],
indicating that they should never be slaughtered. Who,
then could slay them? Surely, one who kills a cow or a
bull commits a heinous crime. MAHABHARAT, SHANTIPARV
262.47

The purchaser of flesh performs Hinsa (violence) by
his wealth; he who eats flesh does so by enjoying its
taste; the killer does Hinsa by actually tying and
killing the animal. Thus, there are three forms of
killing: he who brings flesh or sends for it, he who cuts
off the limbs of an animal, and he who purchases, sells
or cooks flesh and eats it -- all of these are to be
considered meat-eaters. MAHABHARAT, ANU 115.40

He who sees that the Lord of all is ever the same in
all that is -- immortal in the field of mortality --he
sees the truth. And when a man sees that the God in
himself is the same God in all that is, he hurts not
himself by hurting others. Then he goes, indeed, to the
highest path. BHAGVAD GEETA 13.27-28

Ahinsa is the highest Dharm. Ahinsa is the best
Tapas. Ahinsa is the greatest gift. Ahinsa is the
highest self-control. Ahinsa is the highest sacrifice.
Ahinsa is the highest power. Ahinsa is the highest
friend. Ahinsa is the highest truth. Ahinsa is the
highest teaching. MAHABHARAT 18.116.37-41

What is the good way? It is the path that reflects
on how it may avoid killing any creature. TIRUKURAL 324

All that lives will press palms together in prayerful
adoration of those who refuse to slaughter and savor
meat. TIRUKURAL 260

What is virtuous conduct? It is never destroting
life, for killing leads to every other sin. TIRUKURAL
312, 321

Goodness is never one with the minds of these two:
one who wields a weapon and one who feasts on a
creature's flesh. TIRUKURAL 253

Copyright (C) 1993, Himalayan Academy, All Rights
Reserved. The information contained in this news report
may not be republished in any form without the prior
written authority of Himalayan Academy. This is an
authorized reproduction.

Jai Maharaj
http://tinyurl.com/a5ljc
http://www.mantra.com/jai
Om Shanti

Hindu Holocaust Museum
http://www.mantra.com/holocaust

Hindu life, principles, spirituality and philosophy
http://www.hindu.org
http://www.hindunet.org

The truth about Islam and Muslims
http://www.flex.com/~jai/satyamevajayate

fair use of copyrighted works.

copyright owner.

Chico Chupacabra
2006-08-15 12:43:33 EST
Jay Stevens, "astrologer" (haha) and hindu-wannabe, wrote:

> India: land of non-veggies; boozers
>
> CNN-IBN
> Posted Sunday, August 13, 2006
> Updated Monday, August 14, 2006
>
> New Delhi: If you thought India is largely a vegetarian
> country, then think again.

We've already discussed this at AAEV, you cross-posting twit.

Shrubkiller
2006-08-15 12:59:01 EST

chico chupacabra wrote:
> Jay Stevens, "astrologer" (haha) and hindu-wannabe, wrote:
>
> > India: land of non-veggies; boozers
> >
> > CNN-IBN
> > Posted Sunday, August 13, 2006
> > Updated Monday, August 14, 2006
> >
> > New Delhi: If you thought India is largely a vegetarian
> > country, then think again.
>
> We've already discussed this at AAEV, you cross-posting twit.

Well it's being discussed AGAIN you cross-posting twit!

Deal with it.

Harmony
2006-08-15 13:15:40 EST
every time the india-america relationship is said to be going up by both
govts, the americans in greater numbers do more yoga, eat veggie diet, and
the hindus eat meat, junk food, drink booze. next century it will work the
other way until Shiva does the great dance.

<*t@mantra.com and/or www.mantra.com/jai (Dr. Jai Maharaj)> wrote in
message news:20060814O2M4pKqrgu9O935Nz47Bguu@Q1nYm...
> [...]
> understanding of environmental, political, human rights, economic,
> democratic, scientific, social, and cultural, etc., issues. It is believed
> that this constitutes a 'fair use' of any such copyrighted material as
> provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law. In accordance with
> Title
> 17 U.S.C. Section 107, the material on this site is distributed without
> profit to those who have expressed a prior interest in receiving the
> included
> information for research, comment, discussion and educational purposes by
> subscribing to USENET newsgroups or visiting web sites. For more
> information
> go to: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml
> If you wish to use copyrighted material from this article for purposes of
> your own that go beyond 'fair use', you must obtain permission from the

Me
2006-08-15 13:29:36 EST
harmony wrote:
> every time the india-america relationship is said to be going up by both
> govts, the americans in greater numbers do more yoga, eat veggie diet, and
> the hindus eat meat, junk food, drink booze. next century it will work the
> other way until Shiva does the great dance.

Sure; it's quite conceivable that for a period of time, while more Indians
join the meat-eating mainstream of India, more Americans will join the
vegetarian fringe of India.

> [...]
>> understanding of environmental, political, human rights, economic,
>> democratic, scientific, social, and cultural, etc., issues. It is
>> believed that this constitutes a 'fair use' of any such copyrighted
>> material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law. In
>> accordance with Title
>> 17 U.S.C. Section 107, the material on this site is distributed without
>> profit to those who have expressed a prior interest in receiving the
>> included
>> information for research, comment, discussion and educational purposes by
>> subscribing to USENET newsgroups or visiting web sites. For more
>> information
>> go to: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml
>> If you wish to use copyrighted material from this article for purposes of
>> your own that go beyond 'fair use', you must obtain permission from the

I*@comcast.net
2006-08-15 13:42:50 EST

me wrote:
> harmony wrote:
> > every time the india-america relationship is said to be going up by both
> > govts, the americans in greater numbers do more yoga, eat veggie diet, and
> > the hindus eat meat, junk food, drink booze. next century it will work the
> > other way until Shiva does the great dance.
>
> Sure; it's quite conceivable that for a period of time, while more Indians
> join the meat-eating mainstream of India, more Americans will join the
> vegetarian fringe of India.

only mentally sick and morally bankrupt people would need to consume
dead animals - it is reflection of moral decline of humanity who would
stop at nothing to kill and maim and exploit anything for the sake of
base needs that can perfectly be met by healthy and moral alternatives.

> [...]
> >> understanding of environmental, political, human rights, economic,
> >> democratic, scientific, social, and cultural, etc., issues. It is
> >> believed that this constitutes a 'fair use' of any such copyrighted
> >> material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law. In
> >> accordance with Title
> >> 17 U.S.C. Section 107, the material on this site is distributed without
> >> profit to those who have expressed a prior interest in receiving the
> >> included
> >> information for research, comment, discussion and educational purposes by
> >> subscribing to USENET newsgroups or visiting web sites. For more
> >> information
> >> go to: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml
> >> If you wish to use copyrighted material from this article for purposes of
> >> your own that go beyond 'fair use', you must obtain permission from the

Chico Chupacabra
2006-08-15 18:26:48 EST
i*d@comcast.net wrote:

> > > every time the india-america relationship is said to be going up
> > > by both govts, the americans in greater numbers do more yoga, eat
> > > veggie diet, and the hindus eat meat, junk food, drink booze.
> > > next century it will work the other way until Shiva does the
> > > great dance.
> >
> > Sure; it's quite conceivable that for a period of time, while more
> > Indians join the meat-eating mainstream of India, more Americans
> > will join the vegetarian fringe of India.
>
> only mentally sick and morally bankrupt people would need to consume
> dead animals -

No, only morally sick and bankrupt people judge others according to
what they put into their mouths.

> it is reflection of moral decline of humanity who would...

judge another according to diet.

Rick
2006-08-15 18:40:51 EST

<*d@comcast.net> wrote in message

> me wrote:
>> harmony wrote:
>> > every time the india-america relationship is said to be
>> > going up by both
>> > govts, the americans in greater numbers do more yoga, eat
>> > veggie diet, and
>> > the hindus eat meat, junk food, drink booze. next century it
>> > will work the
>> > other way until Shiva does the great dance.
>>
>> Sure; it's quite conceivable that for a period of time, while
>> more Indians
>> join the meat-eating mainstream of India, more Americans will
>> join the
>> vegetarian fringe of India.
>
> only mentally sick and morally bankrupt people would need to
> consume
> dead animals - it is reflection of moral decline of humanity
> who would
> stop at nothing to kill and maim and exploit anything for the
> sake of
> base needs that can perfectly be met by healthy and moral
> alternatives.
============
ROTFLMAO Then what does that say about you, killer. Afterall,
here you are on usenst for no more reason than your selfish
entertainment. Entertainmnet that contributes to billions of
dead animals every year. Why no fake tears of concern for all
those animals? Oh, yeah, you don't question your own bloody
footprints, just others. What a hoot, hypocrite...

snip...

Me
2006-08-16 01:01:45 EST
i*d@comcast.net wrote:
> me wrote:
>> harmony wrote:
>> > every time the india-america relationship is said to be going up by
>> > both govts, the americans in greater numbers do more yoga, eat veggie
>> > diet, and the hindus eat meat, junk food, drink booze. next century it
>> > will work the other way until Shiva does the great dance.
>>
>> Sure; it's quite conceivable that for a period of time, while more
>> Indians join the meat-eating mainstream of India, more Americans will
>> join the vegetarian fringe of India.
>
> only mentally sick and morally bankrupt people would need to consume
> dead animals - it is reflection of moral decline of humanity who would
> stop at nothing to kill and maim and exploit anything for the sake of
> base needs that can perfectly be met by healthy and moral alternatives.

Would the following be one of those moral alternatives?
http://www.animalrights.net/discussion/fullThread$msgNum=275&page=6

I wrote: "Growing vegan food means one actually kills animals oneself."
Perceiver responded: “Interesting. Which animals and how?”

Tomato horn worm and cabbage worms: killed when using the organic
preparation of bacillus thuringiensis.

Japanese beetle and their grubs: killed by those who handpick them and flick
them into a jar and then destroy them, applying a milky spore disease dust
to the soil, or by botanical sprays (rotenone, pyrethrum – both organic)
including traps, to kill the grubs to prevent their becoming adult beetles.

Mexican bean beetle: killed by those who pick off the beetle or spraying
underside of bean leaves with the organic spray, rotenone, or when people
use commercial traps to lure and then destroy them.

Nematodes: thousands of them which cause stunted plants, or cause galls or
swelling on roots, or cause sudden wilting of veggie plants like okra,
cucumbers, cantaloupes, tomatoes and other plants. They can be killed by
soil fumigation. Otherwise they are killed by plowing, digging, raking,
e.g.

Earthworms: Killed by rotary types of tillers used to prepare garden soils,
their high speed whirling blades will literally massacre any worms and any
other burrowing animal in the top layer of garden soil. Otherwise spading
can kill worms. Though, earthworm species can regenerate over time if their
bodies are severed along the rear half of their bodies. But, if cut or
severed within the front half or nearer to the head, the less chance there
is for regeneration: and no earthworm will regenerate if it’s severed
farther front than the 13th anterior segment.

Frogs and toads, mice, voles, shrews: killed by draining and flooding.

Garden snakes: By tilling/plowing. I know of someone who stabbed a gartener
snake with a pitch folk while turning the compost pile.

Organic fertilizers like manure and organic pesticide, the process of
plowing or spading manure, trenching or subsoil plowing, and any mechanical
planting and harvesting can kill all kinds of land animal life (voles,
mice, shrews, ground nesting plovers, e.g.) and aquatic-dependent animal
life (rodents, fish, amphibians) can kill.

What animals are killed and how depends on what gardening/crop growing
methods and tools of the trade one uses, what crops for different animals
are attracted to different crops, soil condition, season (e.g., spring
plowing, autumn harvesting), what pest controls one uses, habitat crops
need or produce (e.g., rice makes for a wetland ecosystem which attracts
different kinds of animals), etc.

I wrote: "You commission the killing. You pay others to do it for you."
Perceiver responded: “I don't pay others to do it for me - I pay others to
produce food.”

Yes, you pay others to produce food that involves and sometimes depends on
killing animals. By paying others to produce you pay them for the means of
production.

And/or Www.mantra.com/jai Dr. Jai Maharaj
2006-08-16 04:22:55 EST
jai ho shree shiv-nataraaj kee!

BTW, true Hindus are not afflicted with the meat-eating habit.

Jai Maharaj
http://tinyurl.com/a5ljc
http://www.mantra.com/jai
Om Shanti