Vegetarian Discussion: Chinese County Kills 50,000 Dogs

Chinese County Kills 50,000 Dogs

Leif Erikson
2006-08-01 03:53:58 EST
Chinese county culls 50,000 dogs

Tuesday, August 1, 2006 Posted: 0436 GMT (1236 HKT)

SHANGHAI, China (AP) -- A county in southwestern China
has killed as many as 50,000 dogs in a
government-ordered campaign following the deaths of
three local people from rabies, official media reported
on Tuesday.

The five-day massacre in Yunnan province's Mouding
county spared only military guard dogs and police
canine units, the Shanghai Daily reported, citing local
media.

Dogs being walked were taken from their owners and
beaten to death on the spot, it said. Other killing
teams entered villages at night creating noise to get
dogs barking, then homing in on their prey.

About 360 of the county's 200,000 residents suffered
dog bites this year, with three reported deaths,
including a 4-year-old girl, the report said.

"With the aim to keep this horrible disease from
people, we decided to kill the dogs," Li Haibo, a
spokesman for the county government was quoted as
saying by the official Xinhua News Agency.

Calls to county government offices rang unanswered on
Tuesday.

China has suffered a major rise in the number of rabies
cases in recent years, with 2,651 reported deaths from
the disease in 2004, the last year for which data was
available, according to the Chinese Center for Disease
Control and Prevention.

Experts have tied the rise in cases in part to a major
increase in dog ownership, particularly in rural areas
where about 70 percent of households keep dogs.
However, rates of rabies vaccination remain extremely
low at only about 3 percent, according to the center.

http://edition.cnn.com/2006/WORLD/asiapcf/08/01/china.dogs.ap/index.html

In the circumstance, it was probably the right thing to
do, although I don't know about beating dogs to death
right on the street.

Chico Chupacabra
2006-08-01 07:05:32 EST
Leif Erikson wrote:

> Chinese county culls 50,000 dogs
>
> Tuesday, August 1, 2006 Posted: 0436 GMT (1236 HKT)
>
> SHANGHAI, China (AP) -- A county in southwestern China has killed as
> many as 50,000 dogs in a government-ordered campaign following the
> deaths of three local people from rabies, official media reported on
> Tuesday.
>
> The five-day massacre in Yunnan province's Mouding county spared only
> military guard dogs and police canine units, the Shanghai Daily
> reported, citing local media.
>
> Dogs being walked were taken from their owners and beaten to death on
> the spot, it said. Other killing teams entered villages at night
> creating noise to get dogs barking, then homing in on their prey.
>
> About 360 of the county's 200,000 residents suffered dog bites this
> year, with three reported deaths, including a 4-year-old girl, the
> report said.
>
> "With the aim to keep this horrible disease from people, we decided to
> kill the dogs," Li Haibo, a spokesman for the county government was
> quoted as saying by the official Xinhua News Agency.
>
> Calls to county government offices rang unanswered on Tuesday.
>
> China has suffered a major rise in the number of rabies cases in recent
> years, with 2,651 reported deaths from the disease in 2004, the last
> year for which data was available, according to the Chinese Center for
> Disease Control and Prevention.
>
> Experts have tied the rise in cases in part to a major increase in dog
> ownership, particularly in rural areas where about 70 percent of
> households keep dogs. However, rates of rabies vaccination remain
> extremely low at only about 3 percent, according to the center.
>
> http://edition.cnn.com/2006/WORLD/asiapcf/08/01/china.dogs.ap/index.html
>

> In the circumstance, it was probably the right thing to do, although I
> don't know about beating dogs to death right on the street.

Not all 54,429 (that precise figure according to the Shanghai Daily)
dogs were clubbed on the street in broad daylight even though that part
of it gets the biggest mention in news accounts. From other news
accounts, most were euthanized with drugs or hanged after owners refused
to kill their own dogs.

Authorities first encouraged dog owners to kill their own pets,
offering a 5 yuan incentive (62 US cents), and then sent in the
task force to finish those that escaped the first-round
slaughter.

The midnight raids were carried out by the task force officers.

According to Chinese media reports, several methods were used to
kill the dogs, including clubbing, hanging, electrocution and
drugs.

Although most villagers said they understood the necessity for
campaign, others thought it was brutal - and unnecessary. About
4,000 dogs in the county had been vaccinated against rabies.

A local veterinary authority official surnamed Liang explained
that only 85 percent of the vaccinations would be effective,
however.

"With the aim to keep this horrible disease from people, we
decided to kill the dogs," Xinhua news agency quoted Li Haibo,
spokesman for the county government, as saying.
http://www.chinadaily.com.cn/china/2006-08/01/content_654307_2.htm

Shanghai Daily article:
http://www.shanghaidaily.com/art/2006/08/01/287860/More_dogs_killed_to_control_rabies.htm

The scale of the cull may seem grand even in the context of a rabies
outbreak, and the clubbing reports seem barbaric in our culture, but we
euthanize 4-6 million cats and dogs every year (according to the Humane
Society) in the US simply because they're unwanted.

Leif Erikson
2006-08-01 13:31:19 EST
chico chupacabra wrote:
> Leif Erikson wrote:
>
> > Chinese county culls 50,000 dogs
> >
> > Tuesday, August 1, 2006 Posted: 0436 GMT (1236 HKT)
> >
> > SHANGHAI, China (AP) -- A county in southwestern China has killed as
> > many as 50,000 dogs in a government-ordered campaign following the
> > deaths of three local people from rabies, official media reported on
> > Tuesday.
> >
> > The five-day massacre in Yunnan province's Mouding county spared only
> > military guard dogs and police canine units, the Shanghai Daily
> > reported, citing local media.
> >
> > Dogs being walked were taken from their owners and beaten to death on
> > the spot, it said. Other killing teams entered villages at night
> > creating noise to get dogs barking, then homing in on their prey.
> >
> > About 360 of the county's 200,000 residents suffered dog bites this
> > year, with three reported deaths, including a 4-year-old girl, the
> > report said.
> >
> > "With the aim to keep this horrible disease from people, we decided to
> > kill the dogs," Li Haibo, a spokesman for the county government was
> > quoted as saying by the official Xinhua News Agency.
> >
> > Calls to county government offices rang unanswered on Tuesday.
> >
> > China has suffered a major rise in the number of rabies cases in recent
> > years, with 2,651 reported deaths from the disease in 2004, the last
> > year for which data was available, according to the Chinese Center for
> > Disease Control and Prevention.
> >
> > Experts have tied the rise in cases in part to a major increase in dog
> > ownership, particularly in rural areas where about 70 percent of
> > households keep dogs. However, rates of rabies vaccination remain
> > extremely low at only about 3 percent, according to the center.
> >
> > http://edition.cnn.com/2006/WORLD/asiapcf/08/01/china.dogs.ap/index.html
> >

> > In the circumstance, it was probably the right thing to do, although I
> > don't know about beating dogs to death right on the street.
>
> Not all 54,429 (that precise figure according to the Shanghai Daily)
> dogs were clubbed on the street in broad daylight even though that part
> of it gets the biggest mention in news accounts.

Yeah, I know, but I was just struck by what a graphic and unpleasant
image that presented.

You begin to get an idea of the gulf between a developing but
still-poor shithole like China, and the U.S., by looking at the
incidence of human rabies deaths. That story indicates there were more
than 2,600 human deaths from rabies in China in 2004. According to the
CDC, there are one or two human deaths per year from rabies in the U.S.
(http://www.cdc.gov/ncidod/dvrd/rabies/introduction/intro.htm). If we
had something like the Chinese rate, there would be 650 or more. Of
course, this isn't surprising when only 3% of Chinese get their dogs
vaccinated against rabies. I suppose they think, why bother with a
rabies vaccination, when Mr. Barky is going into the stew pot next
Saturday?

> From other news
> accounts, most were euthanized with drugs or hanged after owners refused
> to kill their own dogs.
>
> Authorities first encouraged dog owners to kill their own pets,
> offering a 5 yuan incentive (62 US cents), and then sent in the
> task force to finish those that escaped the first-round
> slaughter.
>
> The midnight raids were carried out by the task force officers.
>
> According to Chinese media reports, several methods were used to
> kill the dogs, including clubbing, hanging, electrocution and
> drugs.
>
> Although most villagers said they understood the necessity for
> campaign, others thought it was brutal - and unnecessary. About
> 4,000 dogs in the county had been vaccinated against rabies.
>
> A local veterinary authority official surnamed Liang explained
> that only 85 percent of the vaccinations would be effective,
> however.
>
> "With the aim to keep this horrible disease from people, we
> decided to kill the dogs," Xinhua news agency quoted Li Haibo,
> spokesman for the county government, as saying.
> http://www.chinadaily.com.cn/china/2006-08/01/content_654307_2.htm
>
> Shanghai Daily article:
> http://www.shanghaidaily.com/art/2006/08/01/287860/More_dogs_killed_to_control_rabies.htm
>
> The scale of the cull may seem grand even in the context of a rabies
> outbreak, and the clubbing reports seem barbaric in our culture, but we
> euthanize 4-6 million cats and dogs every year (according to the Humane
> Society) in the US simply because they're unwanted.

Chico Chupacabra
2006-08-02 09:58:58 EST
Leif Erikson wrote:

> chico chupacabra wrote:
> > Leif Erikson wrote:
> >
> > > Chinese county culls 50,000 dogs
> > >
> > > Tuesday, August 1, 2006 Posted: 0436 GMT (1236 HKT)
> > >
> > > SHANGHAI, China (AP) -- A county in southwestern China has killed as
> > > many as 50,000 dogs in a government-ordered campaign following the
> > > deaths of three local people from rabies, official media reported on
> > > Tuesday.
> > >
> > > The five-day massacre in Yunnan province's Mouding county spared only
> > > military guard dogs and police canine units, the Shanghai Daily
> > > reported, citing local media.
> > >
> > > Dogs being walked were taken from their owners and beaten to death on
> > > the spot, it said. Other killing teams entered villages at night
> > > creating noise to get dogs barking, then homing in on their prey.
> > >
> > > About 360 of the county's 200,000 residents suffered dog bites this
> > > year, with three reported deaths, including a 4-year-old girl, the
> > > report said.
> > >
> > > "With the aim to keep this horrible disease from people, we decided to
> > > kill the dogs," Li Haibo, a spokesman for the county government was
> > > quoted as saying by the official Xinhua News Agency.
> > >
> > > Calls to county government offices rang unanswered on Tuesday.
> > >
> > > China has suffered a major rise in the number of rabies cases in recent
> > > years, with 2,651 reported deaths from the disease in 2004, the last
> > > year for which data was available, according to the Chinese Center for
> > > Disease Control and Prevention.
> > >
> > > Experts have tied the rise in cases in part to a major increase in dog
> > > ownership, particularly in rural areas where about 70 percent of
> > > households keep dogs. However, rates of rabies vaccination remain
> > > extremely low at only about 3 percent, according to the center.
> > >
> > > http://edition.cnn.com/2006/WORLD/asiapcf/08/01/china.dogs.ap/index.html
> > >

> > > In the circumstance, it was probably the right thing to do, although I
> > > don't know about beating dogs to death right on the street.
> >
> > Not all 54,429 (that precise figure according to the Shanghai Daily)
> > dogs were clubbed on the street in broad daylight even though that part
> > of it gets the biggest mention in news accounts.
>
> Yeah, I know, but I was just struck by what a graphic and unpleasant
> image that presented.

It *is* an unsettling image.

> You begin to get an idea of the gulf between a developing but
> still-poor shithole like China,

That does put it in perspective, but so do all the other statistics related to diseases prevalent in impoverished (or "developing") countries.

Not to mention the "incentives" to get people to do things. Offer anyone here 63-cents to do anything and they'll probably laugh at you. Offer it to someone in some rural third-world village and they'll do whatever you want. I found the following data for Yunnan:
Rural per capita net income reached 1,478.60 Yuan; the average annual wage of staff and workers was 9,231 Yuan; per capita disposable income for urban residents was 6,325 Yuan...
http://www.unescap.org/esid/psis/population/database/chinadata/yunnan.htm

Maybe that 63-cents would be enough to get people to do things if they only have $800 of disposable income per year (and that's just for urban residents; rural citizens average less than $200 net income per year).

> and the U.S., by looking at the
> incidence of human rabies deaths. That story indicates there were more
> than 2,600 human deaths from rabies in China in 2004. According to the
> CDC, there are one or two human deaths per year from rabies in the U.S.
> (http://www.cdc.gov/ncidod/dvrd/rabies/introduction/intro.htm). If we
> had something like the Chinese rate, there would be 650 or more. Of
> course, this isn't surprising when only 3% of Chinese get their dogs
> vaccinated against rabies. I suppose they think, why bother with a
> rabies vaccination, when Mr. Barky is going into the stew pot next
> Saturday?

I edited out my opening remark in my first reply.

[You wrote:]
>> In the circumstance, it was probably the right thing to do, although I
>>don't know about beating dogs to death right on the street.

[I edited out of my reply:]
Maybe not, but it sure tenderizes the meat...

I thought it was in poor taste, but I know that hasn't stopped me before.

> > From other news
> > accounts, most were euthanized with drugs or hanged after owners refused
> > to kill their own dogs.
> >
> > Authorities first encouraged dog owners to kill their own pets,
> > offering a 5 yuan incentive (62 US cents), and then sent in the
> > task force to finish those that escaped the first-round
> > slaughter.
> >
> > The midnight raids were carried out by the task force officers.
> >
> > According to Chinese media reports, several methods were used to
> > kill the dogs, including clubbing, hanging, electrocution and
> > drugs.
> >
> > Although most villagers said they understood the necessity for
> > campaign, others thought it was brutal - and unnecessary. About
> > 4,000 dogs in the county had been vaccinated against rabies.
> >
> > A local veterinary authority official surnamed Liang explained
> > that only 85 percent of the vaccinations would be effective,
> > however.
> >
> > "With the aim to keep this horrible disease from people, we
> > decided to kill the dogs," Xinhua news agency quoted Li Haibo,
> > spokesman for the county government, as saying.
> > http://www.chinadaily.com.cn/china/2006-08/01/content_654307_2.htm
> >
> > Shanghai Daily article:
> > http://www.shanghaidaily.com/art/2006/08/01/287860/More_dogs_killed_to_control_rabies.htm
> >
> > The scale of the cull may seem grand even in the context of a rabies
> > outbreak, and the clubbing reports seem barbaric in our culture, but we
> > euthanize 4-6 million cats and dogs every year (according to the Humane
> > Society) in the US simply because they're unwanted.

D*@.
2006-08-02 11:39:27 EST
On Tue, 01 Aug 2006 11:05:32 GMT, chico chupacabra <no@way.jose> wrote:

> [...]
> 4,000 dogs in the county had been vaccinated against rabies.
>
> A local veterinary authority official surnamed Liang explained
> that only 85 percent of the vaccinations would be effective,
> however.
>
> "With the aim to keep this horrible disease from people, we
> decided to kill the dogs," Xinhua news agency quoted Li Haibo,
> spokesman for the county government, as saying.
> http://www.chinadaily.com.cn/china/2006-08/01/content_654307_2.htm
>
>Shanghai Daily article:
>http://www.shanghaidaily.com/art/2006/08/01/287860/More_dogs_killed_to_control_rabies.htm
>
>The scale of the cull may seem grand even in the context of a rabies
>outbreak, and the clubbing reports seem barbaric in our culture, but we
>euthanize 4-6 million cats and dogs every year (according to the Humane
>Society) in the US simply because they're unwanted.

Which shows clearly the dishonesty behind the "ar" claims that "ar"
would provide livestock with decent lives until they die of natural causes,
and the even *more* contemptibly dishonest claim that they would be set
free. Neither would happen, showing again that "ar" is a very dishonest
mi$nomer in regards to domestic animals.

Leif Erikson
2006-08-02 12:27:45 EST
Fuckwit David Harrison, *clueless* ignorant lying
goober cracker, cluelessly lied:
> [...]
>> that only 85 percent of the vaccinations would be effective,
>> however.
>>
>> "With the aim to keep this horrible disease from people, we
>> decided to kill the dogs," Xinhua news agency quoted Li Haibo,
>> spokesman for the county government, as saying.
>> http://www.chinadaily.com.cn/china/2006-08/01/content_654307_2.htm
>>
>>Shanghai Daily article:
>>http://www.shanghaidaily.com/art/2006/08/01/287860/More_dogs_killed_to_control_rabies.htm
>>
>>The scale of the cull may seem grand even in the context of a rabies
>>outbreak, and the clubbing reports seem barbaric in our culture, but we
>>euthanize 4-6 million cats and dogs every year (according to the Humane
>>Society) in the US simply because they're unwanted.
>

> Which shows clearly the dishonesty behind the "ar" claims that "ar"
> would provide livestock with decent lives

It shows no such thing.

D*@.
2006-08-02 13:58:23 EST
On Wed, 02 Aug 2006 Goo wrote:

>dh pointed out:

>> On Tue, 01 Aug 2006 11:05:32 GMT, chico chupacabra <no@way.jose> wrote:
>
>>>we euthanize 4-6 million cats and dogs every year (according to
>>>the Humane Society) in the US simply because they're unwanted.
>>
>> Which shows clearly the dishonesty behind the "ar" claims that "ar"
>>would provide livestock with decent lives until they die of natural causes,
>>and the even *more* contemptibly dishonest claim that they would be set
>>free. Neither would happen, showing again that "ar" is a very dishonest
>>mi$nomer in regards to domestic animals.
>
>It shows no such thing.

LOL. Of course it does Goo, and all of the following show it even
*more* clearly:
[...]
WAVY-TV's coverage in Norfolk included heartbreaking details from the
manager of the supermarket whose dumpster became an impromptu pet
cemetery. "They just slung the doors [open] and started throwing dogs
... beautiful cats. I saw a [dead] beagle last week that was pregnant ... last
week it was 23 or 24 dogs ... it's happened to us nine times ... they drove
straight from there, straight here, and disposed of the dogs in 30 seconds."

Authorities told WNCT-TV in Greenville, NC that they've discovered more
than 70 dead animals in the last month that may be connected to PETA.
[...]
http://www.consumerfreedom.com/news_detail.cfm?headline=2833
[...]
The photos show the inside of PETA's van; the tackle-box "death kit"
(complete with syringes and lethal drugs); the trash dumpster where the
dead animals were found; and several animals buried the next morning
by local authorities.
[...]
http://www.petakillsanimals.com/petaTrial2.cfm
>From July 1998 through the end of 2003, PETA killed over 10,000 dogs, cats,
and other "companion animals" -- at its Norfolk, Virginia headquarters. That's
more than five defenseless animals every day. Not counting the dogs and
cats PETA spayed and neutered, the group put to death over 85 percent of
the animals it took in during 2003 alone. And its angel-of-death pattern shows
no sign of changing.

http://www.petakillsanimals.com/petaKillsAnimals.cfm
[...]
According to the Associated Press (AP) PETA killed 1325 dogs and cats
in Norfolk last year. That was more than half the number of animals is
took in during that period. According to Virginian-Pilot Reporter, Kerry
Dougherty, the execution rate at PETA's "shelter" far exceeds that of the
local Norfolk SPCA shelter where only a third of animals taken in are
"put down."
[...]
http://www.iwmc.org/newsletter/2000/2000-08g.htm
[...]
In a July 2000 Associated Press story, reporter Matthew Barakat described
government reports showing that PETA itself killed 1,325 -- or 63 percent --
of the dogs and cats entrusted to it in 1999. The state of Virginia expected
those animals to be placed in adoptive homes. Only 386 of them ever were.
[...]
http://www.nfss.org/Legis/Peta-AA/pet-4.html
Web posted Friday, April 27, 2001
State Veterinarian, PETA Head Differ On Outbreak
[...]
On Thursday, Ingrid Newkirk, president of People for the Ethical Treatment
of Animals, renewed her claim that an outbreak of foot-and-mouth disease
in the United States would benefit herds by sparing them from a tortured
existence and the slaughterhouse.

A PETA spokesman said it's inconceivable that anyone would fail to see
the sense of Newkirk's statements, which have rankled politicians and
livestock farmers from Texas to Canada.

[...]
In a telephone interview from Richmond, Va., Newkirk reiterated her
hope that foot-and-mouth -- which has ravaged herds in Europe -- reaches
U.S. shores.

''It's a peculiar and disturbing thing to say, but it would be less than truthful
if I pretended otherwise,'' she said.

People would be better off without meat because it is tied to a host of
ailments, Newkirk said. And animals would benefit because the current
means of raising and slaughtering livestock are ''grotesquely cruel from
start to finish.''
[...]
http://www.pressanddakotan.com/stories/042701/new_0427010026.html
"I would go to work early, before anyone got there, and I would just kill the
animals myself. Because I couldn't stand to let them go through other workers
abusing the animals. I must have killed thousands of them, sometimes dozens
everyday."
-- Ingrid Newkirk, President, PETA, The New Yorker, April 14, 2003

"We are not in the home finding business, although it is certainly true that we
do find homes from time to time for the kind of animals people are looking for.
Our service is to provide a peaceful and painless death to animals who no
one wants."
-- Ingrid Newkirk, President, PETA, The Virginian-Pilot, July 20, 2005

http://www.targetofopportunity.com/peta.htm

Leif Erikson
2006-08-02 14:58:05 EST
Fuckwit David Harrison, *clueless* ignorant lying
goober cracker, cluelessly lied:

> On Wed, 02 Aug 2006 Leif Erikson wrote:
>

>>Fuckwit David Harrison, *clueless* ignorant lying goober cracker, cluelessly lied:

>>> Which shows clearly the dishonesty behind the "ar" claims that "ar"
>>>would provide livestock with decent lives until they die of natural causes,
>>>and the even *more* contemptibly dishonest claim that they would be set
>>>free. Neither would happen, showing again that "ar" is a very dishonest
>>>mi$nomer in regards to domestic animals.
>>
>>It shows no such thing.
>

> LOL. Of course it does Leif,

No, it doesn't, Fuckwit.

Misterina
2006-08-03 03:37:00 EST
Wait a minute... is this Tokyo Dave??? *waves*

Ronald 'More-More' Moshki
2006-08-07 17:41:05 EST

what so you call 2,000,000,000 Chinese?

Humanoids