Vegetarian Discussion: Damn It's Hot

Page:  Previous  1 2   (First | Last)

Derek
2006-07-21 14:01:53 EST
On Fri, 21 Jul 2006 17:11:53 GMT, chico chupacabra <chico@hola.dude> wrote:
>Derek wrote:

>>>Big baby.
>>
>> So what.
>
>So grin and bear it. I prefer summer heat to winter cold.

Now, I prefer it the other way around.

>>>It's 36c here as I write this and you don't hear me complaining. I
>>>know you're not used to it, but whatever happened to stiff upper lips over
>>>there?
>>
>> "Only mad dogs and Englishmen go out in the mid day sun.", or
>> so the song goes, but let me make it clear that it doesn't apply
>> to me.
>
>Because you're a shut-in.

No.

>>>Here are some constructive ideas.
>>>
>>>1. Try losing some weight.
>>
>> Now look here, 'U.S.', I know you don't want to believe me,
>
>First I've heard of it.
>
>> but
>> I HAVE shed about a third of my weight this year, and I'm now
>> fixed at a healthyish 13 stones.
>
>Congrats.
>
>> I was looking forward to a less
>> lethargic summer as another reward for my efforts, but sadly
>> I'm as lethargic as ever I was when at 19 stones.
>
>That's probably a lot to do with the heat. You'll have an extra spring in
>your step come autumn when the temperatures fall back to levels you're more
>accustomed.

Well yes, but I'm still disappointed by this year's results. Like I
said, I was looking forward to a less lethargic summer this year
after losing all that weight.

>>>2. Try eating less.
>>
>> I'm finding it a bit of an effort to face food in this heat, and I'm
>> starting to wonder if that might be making me so lethargic.
>
>Stick with salads and cold soups (e.g., gazpacho).

A? I'll look it up after I've finished here.

>Go get a watermelon.

Ugh, not another fucking watermelon, thanks.

>> When I started my diet I was careful not to skip my usual
>> meals to keep my energy levels up and keep exercising, so
>> I'm well aware of my diet requirements,
>
>You're in your forties now? Better late than never.

You're dead right about that. In fact, only the other day I read,

[It's never too late to start exercise -study Tuesday July 18, 10:30 AM

LONDON (Reuters) - It's never too late for couch potatoes to start
exercising and cut their risk of heart disease, according to research
on Tuesday. Neither does it have to be strenuous activity -- even just
walking can make a difference.

"You don't have to go to the gym. Just get off the couch," said Dr
Dietrich Rothenbacher of the University of Heidelberg in Germany.

"It is never too late to start exercising," he told Reuters. The
researchers studied the impact of physical activity on patients with
coronary heart disease (CHD) and a group of healthy volunteers
of the same age and sex. They found that people who exercised
throughout their lives had the lowest risk of the illness, which is one
of the biggest killers in industrialised countries.

"But we also found that people who changed their physical activity
patterns in late adult life also reduced their risk for coronary heart
disease," added Rothenbacher, an epidemiologist at the university.

The scientists re-evaluated data they had previously collected on
patients and volunteers ranging in age from 40 to 68 who had been
questioned about their habits and exercise patterns. Smoking,
diabetes and high blood pressure, which are risk factors for heart
disease, were more common in the patients with the illness than in
the healthy volunteers.

People who said they had been active throughout their lives had
about a 60 percent lower risk of being diagnosed with coronary heart
disease. Couch potatoes who changed their ways and began
exercising after the age of 40 were about 55 percent less likely to be
diagnosed with the illness than people who had always been inactive.

The British Heart Foundation (BHF) said the heart is a muscle and
requires regular physical activity. "The earlier you adopt a more
physically active lifestyle, the bigger the rewards will be for your
heart, helping to reduce your risk of CHD in later life. So don't wait
until you reach 40 to get active," said a spokeswoman.]
http://uk.news.yahoo.com/18072006/325/s-late-start-exercise-study.html

>> thank you.
>
>You're welcome
>
>>>3. Catch a cheap Ryan Air flight to some obscure Baltic village.
>>
>> No, forget that one.
>
>"Too much snot and stuff to worry about"?

Yep, and probably a lot more besides to worry about.

>>>4. Go swimming.
>>
>> And that one. I haven't been swimming in over 20 years. I
>> don't like sharing the same bath water with hundreds of
>> others. Too much snot and stuff to worry about.
>
>It degrades very quickly in sunshine.

I don't care about that. I just don't want to swallow it while
I'm struggling to get to the shallow end.

>You can also sit out in the breeze
>(shade yourself) and ogle

Not anymore, I can't. Not since that embarrassing incident last
year where I was escorted by the police from the bandstand
after complaints from some nervous war pensioners.

>bikinis

You won't find many young enough to wear those things in
Eastbourne.

>>> if you're afraid of the water.
>>>On second thought, don't go swimming.
>>
>> Good idea.
>>
>>>You might be mistaken for a beached
>>>whale and some do-gooders will try to haul you half way out into the
>>>Channel so you can swim free.
>>
>> But surely, they'd know that whales don't wear red speedos, U.S.?
>
>TMI. Ugh. I just lost my appetite.

Chico Chupacabra
2006-07-22 11:57:28 EST
Derek wrote:

> On Fri, 21 Jul 2006 17:11:53 GMT, chico chupacabra <chico@hola.dude>
> wrote:
>>Derek wrote:

>>> So what.
>>
>>So grin and bear it. I prefer summer heat to winter cold.
>
> Now, I prefer it the other way around.

I figured as much. You would bitch about the heat during our winters. When
it gets too cold, I head for warmer latitudes (without whining).

>>> "Only mad dogs and Englishmen go out in the mid day sun.", or
>>> so the song goes, but let me make it clear that it doesn't apply
>>> to me.
>>
>>Because you're a shut-in.
>
> No.

Yes.

>>> Now look here, 'U.S.', I know you don't want to believe me,
>>
>>First I've heard of it.
>>
>>> but
>>> I HAVE shed about a third of my weight this year, and I'm now
>>> fixed at a healthyish 13 stones.
>>
>>Congrats.
>>
>>> I was looking forward to a less
>>> lethargic summer as another reward for my efforts, but sadly
>>> I'm as lethargic as ever I was when at 19 stones.
>>
>>That's probably a lot to do with the heat. You'll have an extra spring in
>>your step come autumn when the temperatures fall back to levels you're
>>more accustomed.
>
> Well yes, but I'm still disappointed by this year's results. Like I
> said, I was looking forward to a less lethargic summer this year
> after losing all that weight.

Maybe next summer will be cooler and you'll notice the difference. Right
now, it's just too bloody fucking hot for you to notice. The heat is
sucking the life right out of you because you're not used to it.

>>> I'm finding it a bit of an effort to face food in this heat, and I'm
>>> starting to wonder if that might be making me so lethargic.
>>
>>Stick with salads and cold soups (e.g., gazpacho).
>
> A? I'll look it up after I've finished here.

You don't know what gazpacho is? You can vegetarian-ize any of the recipes
you find/found in your search. Should be something you can make without
Belinda standing over your shoulder.

>>Go get a watermelon.
>
> Ugh, not another fucking watermelon, thanks.

They're probably not as nice as the ones we have here anyway.

>>> When I started my diet I was careful not to skip my usual
>>> meals to keep my energy levels up and keep exercising, so
>>> I'm well aware of my diet requirements,
>>
>>You're in your forties now? Better late than never.
>
> You're dead right about that.

I usually am about everything.

> In fact, only the other day I read,
>
> [It's never too late to start exercise -study Tuesday July 18, 10:30 AM
>
> LONDON (Reuters) - It's never too late for couch potatoes to start
> exercising and cut their risk of heart disease, according to research
> on Tuesday. Neither does it have to be strenuous activity -- even just
> walking can make a difference.
>
> "You don't have to go to the gym. Just get off the couch," said Dr
> Dietrich Rothenbacher of the University of Heidelberg in Germany.
>
> "It is never too late to start exercising," he told Reuters. The
> researchers studied the impact of physical activity on patients with
> coronary heart disease (CHD) and a group of healthy volunteers
> of the same age and sex. They found that people who exercised
> throughout their lives had the lowest risk of the illness, which is one
> of the biggest killers in industrialised countries.
>
> "But we also found that people who changed their physical activity
> patterns in late adult life also reduced their risk for coronary heart
> disease," added Rothenbacher, an epidemiologist at the university.
>
> The scientists re-evaluated data they had previously collected on
> patients and volunteers ranging in age from 40 to 68 who had been
> questioned about their habits and exercise patterns. Smoking,
> diabetes and high blood pressure, which are risk factors for heart
> disease, were more common in the patients with the illness than in
> the healthy volunteers.
>
> People who said they had been active throughout their lives had
> about a 60 percent lower risk of being diagnosed with coronary heart
> disease. Couch potatoes who changed their ways and began
> exercising after the age of 40 were about 55 percent less likely to be
> diagnosed with the illness than people who had always been inactive.
>
> The British Heart Foundation (BHF) said the heart is a muscle and
> requires regular physical activity. "The earlier you adopt a more
> physically active lifestyle, the bigger the rewards will be for your
> heart, helping to reduce your risk of CHD in later life. So don't wait
> until you reach 40 to get active," said a spokeswoman.]
> http://uk.news.yahoo.com/18072006/325/s-late-start-exercise-study.html
>
>>> thank you.
>>
>>You're welcome

>>> No, forget that one.
>>
>>"Too much snot and stuff to worry about"?
>
> Yep, and probably a lot more besides to worry about.

Such as?

>>> And that one. I haven't been swimming in over 20 years. I
>>> don't like sharing the same bath water with hundreds of
>>> others. Too much snot and stuff to worry about.
>>
>>It degrades very quickly in sunshine.
>
> I don't care about that. I just don't want to swallow it while
> I'm struggling to get to the shallow end.

Swallow? Don't drink out of the pool, Nash.

>>You can also sit out in the breeze
>>(shade yourself) and ogle
>
> Not anymore, I can't. Not since that embarrassing incident last
> year where I was escorted by the police from the bandstand
> after complaints from some nervous war pensioners.

Just LOOK, don't TOUCH.

>>bikinis
>
> You won't find many young enough to wear those things in
> Eastbourne.

Pity.