Vegetarian Discussion: Damn It's Hot

Derek
2006-07-19 20:59:27 EST
http://www.eastbourne.gov.uk/environment/weather/live

Any tips, apart from having another cold shower?

Leif Erikson
2006-07-19 23:49:14 EST
Derek wrote:

> http://www.eastbourne.gov.uk/environment/weather/live
>
> Any tips, apart from having another cold shower?

I'll say - it's currently about 4:48am over there, and
it's almost 20C

Dh@
2006-07-20 13:28:08 EST
On Thu, 20 Jul 2006 01:59:27 +0100, Derek <usenet.email@gmail.com>
wrote:

>http://www.eastbourne.gov.uk/environment/weather/live
>
>Any tips, apart from having another cold shower?

I find that dressing up as a little catholic school girl and
having unprotected random sex with homeless men in public cools me
right off!

And I *love* my patent leather mary-janes with the little
white anklets. I look *so* cool!

dh@
3-time winner "Fuckwit of the Year"

W*@hotmail.com
2006-07-20 17:19:30 EST

Derek wrote:
> http://www.eastbourne.gov.uk/environment/weather/live
>
> Any tips, apart from having another cold shower?

Get a towl damp, put it in the freezer, then when it's cold take it out
and put it around your neck. You could also get some adjustable fans
and arrange them around where you're going to be sitting.

Make sure you have plenty of cold things to drink too. :)

Chico Chupacabra
2006-07-20 18:21:37 EST
Derek wrote:

> http://www.eastbourne.gov.uk/environment/weather/live
>
> Any tips, apart from having another cold shower?

Big baby. It's 36c here as I write this and you don't hear me complaining. I
know you're not used to it, but whatever happened to stiff upper lips over
there? Here are some constructive ideas.

1. Try losing some weight.
2. Try eating less.
3. Catch a cheap Ryan Air flight to some obscure Baltic village.
4. Go swimming.

On second thought, don't go swimming. You might be mistaken for a beached
whale and some do-gooders will try to haul you half way out into the
Channel so you can swim free.

Derek
2006-07-21 12:23:12 EST
On 20 Jul 2006 14:19:30 -0700, windstorm_100@hotmail.com wrote:
>Derek wrote:
>>
>> http://www.eastbourne.gov.uk/environment/weather/live
>>
>> Any tips, apart from having another cold shower?
>
>Get a towl damp, put it in the freezer, then when it's cold take it out
>and put it around your neck.

That would work, and I've used a similar method for sunburn
before using thin linen instead of a heavy towel, but you've
got to admit that it's a merciless way of keeping cool. So
far the best method I've found is to keep both feet in a cold
bucket of water (go for a pee before trying it).

>You could also get some adjustable fans
>and arrange them around where you're going to be sitting.
>
>Make sure you have plenty of cold things to drink too. :)

I'm seriously thinking of getting a portable air-conditioner or
a fixed window-type unit. My dog's suffering terribly with
the heat as well, and looking at him pant away all day makes
me feel even worse. He's a thick-coated chocolate-brown
labrador with loads of extra flesh around his shoulders and
neck. Poor bugger!

Derek
2006-07-21 12:55:55 EST
On Thu, 20 Jul 2006 22:21:37 GMT, chico chupacabra <chico@hola.dude> wrote:
>Derek wrote:
>
>> http://www.eastbourne.gov.uk/environment/weather/live
>>
>> Any tips, apart from having another cold shower?
>
>Big baby.

So what.

>It's 36c here as I write this and you don't hear me complaining. I
>know you're not used to it, but whatever happened to stiff upper lips over
>there?

"Only mad dogs and Englishmen go out in the mid day sun.", or
so the song goes, but let me make it clear that it doesn't apply
to me.

>Here are some constructive ideas.
>
>1. Try losing some weight.

Now look here, 'U.S.', I know you don't want to believe me, but
I HAVE shed about a third of my weight this year, and I'm now
fixed at a healthyish 13 stones. I was looking forward to less
lethargic summer as another reward for my efforts, but sadly
I'm as lethargic as ever I was when at 19 stones.

>2. Try eating less.

I'm finding it a bit of an effort to face food in this heat, and I'm
starting to wonder if that might be making me so lethargic.
When I started my diet I was careful not to skip my usual
meals to keep my energy levels up and keep exercising, so
I'm well aware of my diet requirements, thank you.

>3. Catch a cheap Ryan Air flight to some obscure Baltic village.

No, forget that one.

>4. Go swimming.

And that one. I haven't been swimming in over 20 years. I
don't like sharing the same bath water with hundreds of
others. Too much snot and stuff to worry about.

>On second thought, don't go swimming.

Good idea.

>You might be mistaken for a beached
>whale and some do-gooders will try to haul you half way out into the
>Channel so you can swim free.

But surely, they'd know that whales don't wear red speedos, U.S.?

Derek
2006-07-21 12:59:15 EST
On Thu, 20 Jul 2006 17:28:08 GMT, "dh@" <dh@bellsouth.net> wrote:
>On Thu, 20 Jul 2006 01:59:27 +0100, Derek <usenet.email@gmail.com wrote:
>
>>http://www.eastbourne.gov.uk/environment/weather/live
>>
>>Any tips, apart from having another cold shower?
>
> I find that dressing up as a little catholic school girl and
>having unprotected random sex with homeless men in public cools me
>right off!
>
> And I *love* my patent leather mary-janes with the little
>white anklets. I look *so* cool!
>
>*h@
>3-time winner "Fuckwit of the Year"

Why don't you tag onto someone else's posts when soliciting
for weird sex on Usenet, Harrison, you perverted creep!

Chico Chupacabra
2006-07-21 13:11:53 EST
Derek wrote:

> On Thu, 20 Jul 2006 22:21:37 GMT, chico chupacabra <chico@hola.dude>
> wrote:
>>Derek wrote:
>>
>>> http://www.eastbourne.gov.uk/environment/weather/live
>>>
>>> Any tips, apart from having another cold shower?
>>
>>Big baby.
>
> So what.

So grin and bear it. I prefer summer heat to winter cold.

>>It's 36c here as I write this and you don't hear me complaining. I
>>know you're not used to it, but whatever happened to stiff upper lips over
>>there?
>
> "Only mad dogs and Englishmen go out in the mid day sun.", or
> so the song goes, but let me make it clear that it doesn't apply
> to me.

Because you're a shut-in.

>>Here are some constructive ideas.
>>
>>1. Try losing some weight.
>
> Now look here, 'U.S.', I know you don't want to believe me,

First I've heard of it.

> but
> I HAVE shed about a third of my weight this year, and I'm now
> fixed at a healthyish 13 stones.

Congrats.

> I was looking forward to less
> lethargic summer as another reward for my efforts, but sadly
> I'm as lethargic as ever I was when at 19 stones.

That's probably a lot to do with the heat. You'll have an extra spring in
your step come autumn when the temperatures fall back to levels you're more
accustomed.

>>2. Try eating less.
>
> I'm finding it a bit of an effort to face food in this heat, and I'm
> starting to wonder if that might be making me so lethargic.

Stick with salads and cold soups (e.g., gazpacho). Go get a watermelon.

> When I started my diet I was careful not to skip my usual
> meals to keep my energy levels up and keep exercising, so
> I'm well aware of my diet requirements,

You're in your forties now? Better late than never.

> thank you.

You're welcome

>>3. Catch a cheap Ryan Air flight to some obscure Baltic village.
>
> No, forget that one.

"Too much snot and stuff to worry about"?

>>4. Go swimming.
>
> And that one. I haven't been swimming in over 20 years. I
> don't like sharing the same bath water with hundreds of
> others. Too much snot and stuff to worry about.

It degrades very quickly in sunshine. You can also sit out in the breeze
(shade yourself) and ogle bikinis if you're afraid of the water.

>>On second thought, don't go swimming.
>
> Good idea.
>
>>You might be mistaken for a beached
>>whale and some do-gooders will try to haul you half way out into the
>>Channel so you can swim free.
>
> But surely, they'd know that whales don't wear red speedos, U.S.?

TMI. Ugh. I just lost my appetite.

Ron
2006-07-21 13:51:35 EST

Derek wrote:
> On Thu, 20 Jul 2006 17:28:08 GMT, "dh@" <dh@bellsouth.net> wrote:
> >On Thu, 20 Jul 2006 01:59:27 +0100, Derek <usenet.email@gmail.com wrote:
> >
> >>http://www.eastbourne.gov.uk/environment/weather/live
> >>
> >>Any tips, apart from having another cold shower?
> >
> > I find that dressing up as a little catholic school girl and
> >having unprotected random sex with homeless men in public cools me
> >right off!
> >
> > And I *love* my patent leather mary-janes with the little
> >white anklets. I look *so* cool!
> >
> >dh@
> >3-time winner "Fuckwit of the Year"
>
> Why don't you tag onto someone else's posts when soliciting
> for weird sex on Usenet, Harrison, you perverted creep!

It's just your sick little friend GOOBER posting as dh.