Vegetarian Discussion: Pet Ownership - Killing Through Kindness

Pet Ownership - Killing Through Kindness

Page: 1 2 3 4   Next  (First | Last)

A*@yahoo.com
2006-06-13 07:46:20 EST
Recent research has shown that the average lifespans of domesticated
animals are up to 4 years less than those of their feral counterparts.
The findings of this research highlight the hypocrisy and selfishness
of pet owners - that these so-called animal lovers brutally and
callously cut short the lives of their four-legged companions.

Adequacy.org spoke to the scientist behind the research and asked, what
can be done to rectify this widespread and socially acceptable form of
barbarism?

The findings of this research, published in the June issue of the
Journal of the American Association of Veterinary Science and
Associated Professions, are an unequivocal condemnation of pet owners.
The facts, presented below, make chilling reading. For example, the
average lifespan of a domesticated dog is four years less than that of
a similar dog living in the wild.

Species Domesticated Lifespan (years) Feral Lifespan (years)
Cat 16 19
Dog 12 16
Fish 5 6
Hamster 2 2
Horse 25 29
Rabbit 10 12
Comparative Lifespans of Domesticated and Feral Animals

Dr. Victor O'Neill, the author of this work and a veterinary surgeon
for over 25 years, explained that several factors are responsible for
foreshortening the lives of domesticated animals.

"Firstly, animals reared in a domestic environment are not exposed to
the same pathogens during infancy as wild animals. Therefore, the
immune systems of domesticated animals do not develop properly, which
leads to a reduced resistance to disease in adulthood."

"However, the main reason for these disturbing findings is that animals
do not adapt to domestic life. Animals are simply unhappy when sharing
a habitat with humans. Humans attempt to impose their value system upon
animals and then punish the animals should they transgress this
arbitrary set of rules of which they have no comprehension. These
animals, enslaved by human tyrants, eventually lose the will to live,
which results in their premature deaths."

Following the publication of his research, O'Neill has formed a
pressure group to lobby for a change in the law, outlawing pet
ownership. In the short term, O'Neill believes that a change in
people's attitudes is necessary.

"Currently, pet ownership is seen as a harmless hobby and people are
dependant on their companion animals. However, this research has shown
that pet ownership is anything but harmless. People need to realise
that it is a cruel institution that must be stopped."

"There are many parallels between pet ownership and the practice of
slavery that was widespread in the United States of America during the
early part of the last century. Nowadays, the ownership of slaves is
socially unacceptable and is rightly acknowledged as a barbaric
practice. Pet ownership is exactly the same. I hope that people will
come to realise that keeping domesticated animals is morally
indefensible and that society will ostracize pet owners."

However, O'Neill's viewpoint has been controversial and unpopular.

"I have recieved innumerable death threats from pet owners. On one
occassion my eight year-old daughter was kidnapped and physically
assaulted by an enraged pet owner. Animal lovers are notorious for
their emotional instability and they rely on their pet animals as a
substitute for normal human relationships. My proposals to remove their
emotional safety net are anathema to them and it is hardly surprising
to see such an irrational reaction."

It is truly inspiring to meet a man such as O'Neill who is willing to
risk his personal safety in the fight for a righteous cause. It is
indisputable that pet ownership is a vile practice. Humanity will only
ever be able to consider itself an advanced civilisation when it
outlaws this cruel institution and treats the lesser species with
proper respect.

Frank From Deeetroit
2006-06-13 08:28:27 EST
The study makes no mention on how getting hit by a car significantly
shortens the life span of these furry creatures.

Frank "I love animals, medium rare, with ketchup" from Deeeetroit

<*5@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> [...]
>
> However, O'Neill's viewpoint has been controversial and unpopular.
>
> "I have recieved innumerable death threats from pet owners. On one
> occassion my eight year-old daughter was kidnapped and physically
> assaulted by an enraged pet owner. Animal lovers are notorious for
> their emotional instability and they rely on their pet animals as a
> substitute for normal human relationships. My proposals to remove their
> emotional safety net are anathema to them and it is hardly surprising
> to see such an irrational reaction."
>
> It is truly inspiring to meet a man such as O'Neill who is willing to
> risk his personal safety in the fight for a righteous cause. It is
> indisputable that pet ownership is a vile practice. Humanity will only
> ever be able to consider itself an advanced civilisation when it
> outlaws this cruel institution and treats the lesser species with

Badass Scotsman
2006-06-13 08:33:28 EST

<*5@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Recent research has shown that the average lifespans of domesticated
> animals are up to 4 years less than those of their feral counterparts.

<SNIP>

I own 3 cats, a cockatoo and an African grey parrot.

I have read lots of books, and know lots of poet owners, so feel fairly
qualified on the subject. I used to dream about Harry my cockatoo being
able to fly free, as birds should, and the cats should surely be allowed to
wonder about outside as they please?

Wrong. My birds are MUCH SAFER at home with me than they would be in the
wild. The law of the jungle doesn't apply at home. The cat's don't have to
worry about being chased by dogs are run over by a motorist. They don't
have to worry about FIV or any other nasty cat disease, again they are much
safer at home and hence will surely live longer.

Just for the record, all my pets are extremely relaxed and happy.

Gary.

Frederick J. Barnett
2006-06-13 12:10:21 EST
This nothing but a bald-faced lie! It's a proven fact animals
in zoos live far longer than their wild counterparts. Feral animals
don't have access to medical care or steady food, so their life spans
are naturally shorter. If the animal rights crowd has to stoop to lies
to get their message out, they must be getting desperate.

Frederick J. Barnett http://www.eatel.net/~fred/
"Someone's got to take the responsibility if the job's going to get done!! Do you think that's easy?!" Gregory Peck - The Guns Of Navarone

R Flowers
2006-06-13 12:13:17 EST
"Frederick J. Barnett" <fred@eatel.net> wrote in message
> This nothing but a bald-faced lie! It's a proven fact animals
> in zoos live far longer than their wild counterparts. Feral animals
> don't have access to medical care or steady food, so their life spans
> are naturally shorter. If the animal rights crowd has to stoop to lies
> to get their message out, they must be getting desperate.
>
> Frederick J. Barnett http://www.eatel.net/~fred/
> "Someone's got to take the responsibility if the job's going to get done!!
> Do you think that's easy?!" Gregory Peck - The Guns Of Navarone

I have to agree. What is the cite for this study?

Also, animals that have been domesticated DO NOT have a "wonderful life" in
the wild, no matter how long it is.

-- R Flowers

Pup E.
2006-06-13 16:45:47 EST
Re: Pet Ownership - Killing Through Kindness -

Two words for the Author of this story:

Spell Checker!

How the hell does he expect to be taken seriously?

I don't have the desire to read any more of his writtings, but I am curious
if they are all as bad?

SimRacer
2006-06-13 16:52:18 EST

<*5@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> [...]
>
> However, O'Neill's viewpoint has been controversial and unpopular.
>
> "I have recieved innumerable death threats from pet owners. On one
> occassion my eight year-old daughter was kidnapped and physically
> assaulted by an enraged pet owner. Animal lovers are notorious for
> their emotional instability and they rely on their pet animals as a
> substitute for normal human relationships. My proposals to remove their
> emotional safety net are anathema to them and it is hardly surprising
> to see such an irrational reaction."
>
> It is truly inspiring to meet a man such as O'Neill who is willing to
> risk his personal safety in the fight for a righteous cause. It is
> indisputable that pet ownership is a vile practice. Humanity will only
> ever be able to consider itself an advanced civilisation when it
> outlaws this cruel institution and treats the lesser species with

Tell all this drivel to my 2 "mutt" (read: non purebred) house cats. Came
from a local farm litter about 5 years ago. They're the only 2 left alive
out of the entire litter AND their parents. Yeah, living out in the wild is
*much* better. Right. Uh-huh, got ya.

They seem to have adjusted to filtered drinking water, a regular diet and
relatively stable climate just fine. Their siblings and parents are dead and
were unavailable for comment...

Dutch
2006-06-13 17:12:29 EST

"Frank from Deeetroit" <dadurweird@voyager.net> wrote in message
> The study makes no mention on how getting hit by a car significantly
> shortens the life span of these furry creatures.

What study? I see no mention of it here
http://avmajournals.avma.org/toc/javma/228/11;jsessionid=oCWVOq54d6rgQz9opV
It might be the letter to the editor.. or it might be bullshit.

> [...]
>>
>> However, O'Neill's viewpoint has been controversial and unpopular.
>>
>> "I have recieved innumerable death threats from pet owners. On one
>> occassion my eight year-old daughter was kidnapped and physically
>> assaulted by an enraged pet owner. Animal lovers are notorious for
>> their emotional instability and they rely on their pet animals as a
>> substitute for normal human relationships. My proposals to remove their
>> emotional safety net are anathema to them and it is hardly surprising
>> to see such an irrational reaction."
>>
>> It is truly inspiring to meet a man such as O'Neill who is willing to
>> risk his personal safety in the fight for a righteous cause. It is
>> indisputable that pet ownership is a vile practice. Humanity will only
>> ever be able to consider itself an advanced civilisation when it
>> outlaws this cruel institution and treats the lesser species with

TaraG
2006-06-13 18:04:09 EST

"Dutch" <no@email.com> wrote in message

> "Frank from Deeetroit" <dadurweird@voyager.net> wrote in message
>> The study makes no mention on how getting hit by a car significantly
>> shortens the life span of these furry creatures.
>
> What study? I see no mention of it here
> http://avmajournals.avma.org/toc/javma/228/11;jsessionid=oCWVOq54d6rgQz9opV
> It might be the letter to the editor.. or it might be bullshit.

Checked the adequacy website, and found that along with (non fact checked)
articles contributed by readers on the topic of proof of alien life on other
planets (as proved in scripture), this article was in fact posted around 5
years ago- with no citations. A quick google showed no such Journal of the
American Association of Veterinary Science and Associated Professions, and
no references to Dr. Victor O'Neill that didn't ultimately lead back to this
article as the source of his name.

This is nonsense. Last I heard, the average life span of feral domesticated
cats was way below 10 years of age, nowhere *near* 19.

Whoever suggested the sockpuppet makes sense. Sounds like something he would
say.

Tara

Dave
2006-06-13 20:03:56 EST

TaraG wrote:
> "Dutch" <no@email.com> wrote in message
> >
> > "Frank from Deeetroit" <dadurweird@voyager.net> wrote in message
> >> The study makes no mention on how getting hit by a car significantly
> >> shortens the life span of these furry creatures.
> >
> > What study? I see no mention of it here
> > http://avmajournals.avma.org/toc/javma/228/11;jsessionid=oCWVOq54d6rgQz9opV
> > It might be the letter to the editor.. or it might be bullshit.
>
> Checked the adequacy website, and found that along with (non fact checked)
> articles contributed by readers on the topic of proof of alien life on other
> planets (as proved in scripture), this article was in fact posted around 5
> years ago- with no citations. A quick google showed no such Journal of the
> American Association of Veterinary Science and Associated Professions, and
> no references to Dr. Victor O'Neill that didn't ultimately lead back to this
> article as the source of his name.
>
> This is nonsense. Last I heard, the average life span of feral domesticated
> cats was way below 10 years of age, nowhere *near* 19.

It does seem a tad credulous to accept without proper citations that a
pet
provided with a steady supply of food, medical care and protection from

predators would have a shorter life expectancy than a wild animal.

Page: 1 2 3 4   Next  (First | Last)