Vegetarian Discussion: First Day Of Being A Vegetarian!

First Day Of Being A Vegetarian!

Page: 1 2 3 4   Next  (First | Last)

Badass
2006-06-12 18:01:16 EST
Ello,

Im kind if doing a week or two trial of being vegetarian. Not for ethical
reasons, more health. I am 26, about 5ft 14, and 14 stoneish. I am
concious of the number of Donar / Chicken Kebabs and Big Macs I have been
having recently, and I am an all or nothing sort of character. I find it
extremely difficult to focus on small achievments, so cutting out burgers &
kebabs was a no no....

I decided, why not go the whole hog? :)

I am doing it for a week, but if I feel fine after week 1, and I don't feel
like I missed anything, then it might become almost permanent.

Today I had:
4 slices of toast, 2 cups of tea, and a Latte in the morning.
A goats cheese tart for lunch.
A bbq'd Quorn Burger, a bbq'd Quorn Chicken Burger, some pasta and roasted
vegetables for dinner.
About 5 cups of tea split over the whole day.

Im not really hungry just now, which is unusual - I love supper but tonight
I feel stuffed.

PS - I NEVER EVER eat fruit or veg as I hate the taste. I must rectify
this for health reasons too!!!.

Gary.

Dutch
2006-06-13 01:49:53 EST
"Badass" <badassio@scotlandio.com> wrote
> Ello,
>
> Im kind if doing a week or two trial of being vegetarian. Not for ethical
> reasons, more health. I am 26, about 5ft 14, and 14 stoneish. I am
> concious of the number of Donar / Chicken Kebabs and Big Macs I have been
> having recently, and I am an all or nothing sort of character.

Just knock off all the high-fat, high-salt, high-sugar junk food. It'll be
easier to stick with and better for you than a vegetarian diet.

Badass
2006-06-13 02:40:38 EST
> Just knock off all the high-fat, high-salt, high-sugar junk food. It'll be
> easier to stick with and better for you than a vegetarian diet.

Problem is, thats harder for me - I haven't a clue what's good and not.
Vegetables surely cant be bad for you though...

Gary.

Dutch
2006-06-13 05:07:43 EST

"Badass" <badassio@scotlandio.com> wrote
>> Just knock off all the high-fat, high-salt, high-sugar junk food. It'll
>> be easier to stick with and better for you than a vegetarian diet.
>

> Problem is, thats harder for me - I haven't a clue what's good and not.

Simple. Lean cuts of meat, fish, fowl, baked or steamed, lots of different
coloured vegetables. Stay away from restaurant food, especially fast-food
take-away places, deep-fried.

> Vegetables surely cant be bad for you though...

C'mon, nobody is a dumb as you pretend to be.

Badass Scotsman
2006-06-13 05:55:24 EST

"Dutch" <no@email.com> wrote in message

> "Badass" <badassio@scotlandio.com> wrote
>>> Just knock off all the high-fat, high-salt, high-sugar junk food. It'll
>>> be easier to stick with and better for you than a vegetarian diet.
>>

>> Problem is, thats harder for me - I haven't a clue what's good and not.
>
> Simple. Lean cuts of meat, fish, fowl, baked or steamed, lots of different
> coloured vegetables. Stay away from restaurant food, especially fast-food
> take-away places, deep-fried.
>
>> Vegetables surely cant be bad for you though...
>
> C'mon, nobody is a dumb as you pretend to be.

Well like I explained in my first post, im an all or nothing guy. I have
tried doing on diets. I have tried to walk past McDonalds on the way home
from work. I have tried not calling the local kebab shop when working in
the office late at night....tried and failed several times.

If I go vegetarian, almost all of the above situations are automatically
ruled out. Fine, I can call up and ask for a donor kebab without the meat -
salad sandwich anyone - good for you! I can go to McDonalds but 95%+ pf the
menu is off limits. If I go veggie, I must and will eat food which is much
healthier for me compared to my previous diet. I will get my "five portions
a day", which is up from my previous 0 portions a day.

I couldn't care less whether my actions save a few cows or pigs - animals
are here to be eaten, and tasty as hell they are too - too tasty, that's the
point. I simply care about my long term health, and the way I eat, I am
setting myself up for some serious problems in the future.

Gary.

Pearl
2006-06-13 07:05:10 EST
"Badass" <badassio@scotlandio.com> wrote in message news:G5tjg.85184$wl.6126@text.news.blueyonder.co.uk...

> > Just knock off all the high-fat, high-salt, high-sugar junk food. It'll be
> > easier to stick with and better for you than a vegetarian diet.

Am J Clin Nutr 1999 Sep;70(3 Suppl):532S-538S
Associations between diet and cancer, ischemic heart disease,
and all-cause mortality in non-Hispanic white California
Seventh-day Adventists.
Fraser GE. Center for Health Research and the Department of
Epidemiology and Biostatistics, Loma Linda University, CA USA.

Results associating diet with chronic disease in a cohort of 34192
California Seventh-day Adventists are summarized. Most Seventh-day
Adventists do not smoke cigarettes or drink alcohol, and there is a wide
range of dietary exposures within the population. About 50% of those
studied ate meat products <1 time/wk or not at all, and vegetarians
consumed more tomatoes, legumes, nuts, and fruit, but less coffee,
doughnuts, and eggs than did nonvegetarians. Multivariate analyses
showed significant associations between beef consumption and fatal
ischemic heart disease (IHD) in men [relative risk (RR) = 2.31 for
subjects who ate beef > or =3 times/wk compared with vegetarians],
significant protective associations between nut consumption and fatal
and nonfatal IHD in both sexes (RR approximately 0.5 for subjects
who ate nuts > or =5 times/wk compared with those who ate nuts
<1 time/wk), and reduced risk of IHD in subjects preferring whole-grain
to white bread. The lifetime risk of IHD was reduced by approximately
31% in those who consumed nuts frequently and by 37% in male
vegetarians compared with nonvegetarians. Cancers of the colon and
prostate were significantly more likely in nonvegetarians (RR of 1.88
and 1.54, respectively), and frequent beef consumers also had higher
risk of bladder cancer. Intake of legumes was negatively associated
with risk of colon cancer in nonvegetarians and risk of pancreatic
cancer. Higher consumption of all fruit or dried fruit was associated
with lower risks of lung, prostate, and pancreatic cancers.
Cross-sectional data suggest vegetarian Seventh-day Adventists have
lower risks of diabetes mellitus, hypertension, and arthritis than
nonvegetarians. Thus, among Seventh-day Adventists, vegetarians are
healthier than nonvegetarians but this cannot be ascribed only to the
absence of meat. - PMID: 10479227

'.. disease rates were significantly associated within a range of
dietary plant food composition that suggested an absence of a
disease prevention threshold. That is, the closer a diet is to an
all-plant foods diet, the greater will be the reduction in the rates
of these diseases.'
http://www.news.cornell.edu/releases/Nov98/thermogenesis_paper.html

> Problem is, thats harder for me - I haven't a clue what's good and not.
> Vegetables surely cant be bad for you though...

Of course not. You've made the right choice for good health.

Eat a wide variety of quality (organic) fruits, vegetables, leafy
greens, legumes, wholegrains- especially rice, nuts and seeds.

This should be helpful: http://www.rawfoods.com/recipes/ .

Dutch
2006-06-13 15:16:01 EST

"Badass Scotsman" <badass-scotsman@aye.net> wrote in message

> "Dutch" <no@email.com> wrote in message
>>
>> "Badass" <badassio@scotlandio.com> wrote
>>>

>>> Problem is, thats harder for me - I haven't a clue what's good and not.
>>
>> Simple. Lean cuts of meat, fish, fowl, baked or steamed, lots of
>> different coloured vegetables. Stay away from restaurant food,
>> especially fast-food take-away places, deep-fried.
>>
>>> Vegetables surely cant be bad for you though...
>>
>> C'mon, nobody is a dumb as you pretend to be.
>

> Well like I explained in my first post, im an all or nothing guy. I have
> tried doing on diets. I have tried to walk past McDonalds on the way home
> from work. I have tried not calling the local kebab shop when working in
> the office late at night....tried and failed several times.
>
> If I go vegetarian, almost all of the above situations are automatically
> ruled out.

Why? What is "going vegetarian" but just another diet? It requires all the
same willpower as the reasonable diet I suggested, and then some. Why do you
think it's harder to walk by McDonalds after deciding to never go to
McDonalds any more than it is if you have decided to not eat any meat at
all? According to your plan you could still go in and order chips,
milkshake, salad covered in mayo and apple pie. According to my plan, just
keep away from the place. Go to the grocery and buy healthy food and cook it
yourself. Once you stop frequenting fast-food joints that is quite an easy
habit to maintain.

> Fine, I can call up and ask for a donor kebab without the meat - salad
> sandwich anyone - good for you! I can go to McDonalds but 95%+ pf the
> menu is off limits.

I said stop eating take-away, completely. Avoid all those old habits if you
want to eat healthy.

> If I go veggie, I must and will eat food which is much healthier for me
> compared to my previous diet. I will get my "five portions a day", which
> is up from my previous 0 portions a day.

Any way you look at it, it boils down to choices you are making.

> I couldn't care less whether my actions save a few cows or pigs - animals
> are here to be eaten, and tasty as hell they are too - too tasty, that's
> the point. I simply care about my long term health, and the way I eat, I
> am setting myself up for some serious problems in the future.

The way you are thinking you are setting yourself up for failure. Extreme
diets are harder to maintain than reasonable ones, and harder to obtain all
the needed nutrition.

Dutch
2006-06-13 15:17:20 EST

"Badass Scotsman" <badass-scotsman@aye.net> wrote
> I simply care about my long term health, and the way I eat, I am setting
> myself up for some serious problems in the future.

Another thing, you may become susceptible to extremist arguments like those
espoused by people like "pearl".

Badass Scotsman
2006-06-13 16:09:34 EST
> Another thing, you may become susceptible to extremist arguments like
> those espoused by people like "pearl".

If I have learnt anything from USENET it must be take EVERYTHING with a very
light pinch of salt. I come here for opinions, and expect extreme views on
both sides of any argument. The truth normally always lies somewhere in the
middle.

Gary.

Pearl
2006-06-13 18:49:36 EST
"Badass Scotsman" <badass-scotsman@aye.net> wrote in message news:e6n61v$kkj$1$8300dec7@news.demon.co.uk...
> > Another thing, you may become susceptible to extremist arguments like
> > those espoused by people like "pearl".
>

> If I have learnt anything from USENET it must be take EVERYTHING with a very
> light pinch of salt. I come here for opinions, and expect extreme views on
> both sides of any argument. The truth normally always lies somewhere in the
> middle.

Strange coming from someone who writes "Well like I explained in my first
post, im an all or nothing guy." Sounds like you're pretty extreme yourself.

A caution about believing *anything* from 'dutch'. I have given you research
data, not opinion. Note the troll's inability to refute it. Would you like to try?

Page: 1 2 3 4   Next  (First | Last)