Vegetarian Discussion: Japan Declares Bloody War On - And Sea Shepherd Prepares To Defend - The Whales

Japan Declares Bloody War On - And Sea Shepherd Prepares To Defend - The Whales

Pearl
2006-06-08 04:38:33 EST
Japan Declares Bloody War on - and Sea Shepherd
Prepares to Defend - the Whales

Japan has been ruthless in their pursuit and massacre
of the world's great whales. It has become a matter of
honour according to some Japanese to kill as many
whales as they can in order to assert their dominance
over the world's oceans.

According to Joji Morishita of the Japanese Fisheries
Agency who spoke on the Australian program 60
minutes, the killing of whales is a part of Japan's
identity and a question of national pride, and he asks
what is a nation without pride?

But surely they would not exterminates the whales.
Or would they?

Back in 1997 Captain Paul Watson had the opportunity
to sit down and speak with members of the Japanese
delegation in Monaco.

Captain Watson asked whaling delegate Tadahiko
Nakamura directly if he was concerned about the
survival of the whales and would he like to have his
children and grand-children see the whales.

His answer was shocking. "No," he said. "My duty
is to my family, mu country and my company and
that duty is to make as much profit as I can for them
today. I am not concerned with future generations.
They will have to find ways to survive just as we
must find ways to survive today."

Captain Watson then asked if he was concerned that
the whales would go extinct? "They may go extinct
but that is not my concern. My concern is to realize
the maximum profit from them before they do."

This echoes the sentiments of Andrew Behr, the
owner of the pirate whaler Sierra that Captain Watson
rammed and disabled on July 16, 1979 and sank on
February 6th, 1980.n the Sea.

Behr said that he was aware that whales could be
driven to extinction and if they were going to go
extinct then why not make as much profit from them
before they do.

The Japanese hold whale conservationists in contempt.
They see anyone opposed to whaling as standing in the
way of their illicit profits.

Since 1986, Japan has been killing whales in violation
of the global moratorium on whaling. Each year they
have illegally upped the kill quotas and during the last
two decades that the whales have been "protected"
more than 17,000 whales have been slaughtered.

The International Whaling Commission has done very
little to stop the carnage. The IWC has great regulations
but non-existent enforcement. The member nations of
the IWC like Australia and the United States have been
reluctant to enforce sanctions for fear of trade retaliations
by Japan.

The fact remains that Japanese and Norwegian whaling
is illegal and if nothing else the regulations of the
International Whaling Commission have served to give
legitimacy to Sea Shepherd efforts to oppose outlaw
whaling since 1986.

The Sea Shepherd Conservation Society has been the
only enforcement agency government or non-governmental,
defending the whales over the last 20 years beginning with
our sinking of half the Icelandic whaling fleet in November
1986 to the scuttling of illegal Norwegian whalers dockside
in 1992, 1994 and 1998. This year we harassed and pursued
the Japanese whaling fleet in the Antarctic Whale Sanctuary.
We did not commit any crimes with our intervention because
we were enforcing international conservation law in accordance
with the provisions of the U.N. World Charter for Nature
which allows for non-governmental organizations to intervene
to uphold international conservation law.

For this reason there have been no criminal charges brought
against Sea Shepherd crew for these interventions. Criminals
are reluctant to retaliate with the law especially when such
retaliation would further expose and provide documentation
and evidence of the illegal activities that Sea Shepherd is
intervening against.

Japan is now seeking to change the laws protecting whales
by working to overturn the IWC global moratorium on
whaling. And they are succeeding.

For the last few years Japan has been using foreign aid to
seduce and then recruit small poor nations to join the IWC.

These nation then have their IWC memberships paid by
Japan and like little Japanese fiefdoms they vote as they
are told and they are being told to vote for the resumption
of whaling and to back Japanese objectives 100%

Last year, Japan succeeded in recruiting an equal number
of votes as the whale conservation nations. This year they
have surpassed that number and they now hold the majority.

In a sneaky move reminiscent of the cowardly attack on
Pearl Harbor, Japan just this week announced that the
Marshall Islands and Cambodia have been bought and will
vote with Japan at next weeks IWC meeting in St. Kitts.
(June 16-20).

Japan now has 36 votes among the 69 member nations
of the IWC.

The first thing Japan intends to do is call for a vote to
scrap the IWC's conservation committee.

The conservation committee was set up in 2003 to
study measures to preserve whales.

In other words Japan and their 35 puppet nations are
opposed to taking measures to preserve the whales.

Japan also intends to call for a vote on a resolution
supporting its "research" whaling in the Antarctic Ocean
and anywhere else in the world it decides to kill whales

What does this mean for the Sea Shepherd Conservation
Society?

It means Sea Shepherd must stop the Japanese fleet in
Antarctica this year while the moratorium is in effect.
In addition to violating the moratorium, the Japanese
fleet will be violating the Convention on the International
Trade in Endangered Species (CITES) by targeting 50
endangered Humpback and 50 endangered Fin whales.

Japan will also be violating the Antarctic Whale Sanctuary
and the Australian Antarctic Territory Economic Exclusion
Zone. In addition Japan will be in violation of United Stated
Department of Commerce regulations.

This means that despite whatever gains Japan wins at the
IWC meeting in St. Kitts, their whaling operations will
continue to be illegal and thus Sea Shepherd can continue
to legitimately intervene against illegal whaling operations.

The Sea Shepherd Conservation Society is presently
recruiting volunteers and preparing a ship to intervene
once again against illegal whaling in the Southern Oceans
in December 2006 and January 2007.

Last year the Japanese fleet was opposed by the Sea
Shepherd ship Farley Mowat and Japanese whaling
operations were documented by the Greenpeace ships
Esperanza and Arctic Sunrise.

Greenpeace will not be returning to Antarctic waters this
year leaving the Sea Shepherd crew to tackle the whalers
alone.

"These whalers are criminals," said Captain Paul Watson.
"They are no different than ivory smugglers and drug
traffickers. We must once again intervene against their
illegal operations and our objective must be to stop them
from their plans to slaughter these magnificent and
endangered creatures."

Captain Watson expects the campaign to be expensive,
and dangerous and he expects the Japanese whalers to
be hostile to any interference.

Chico Chupacabra
2006-06-08 08:59:34 EST
"pearl" <lesley@foot.rub> wrote:

> Japan Declares Bloody War on - and Sea Shepherd
> Prepares to Defend - the Whales
>
> Japan has been ruthless in their pursuit and massacre
> of the world's great whales. It has become a matter of
> honour according to some Japanese to kill as many
> whales as they can in order to assert their dominance
> over the world's oceans.

Why do you support this overtly racist smear campaign of a known terrorist group like Sea Shepherd? You make me sick.

Floyd L. Davidson
2006-06-08 09:08:01 EST
chico chupacabra <support@our.troops> wrote:
>"pearl" <lesley@foot.rub> wrote:
>
>> Japan Declares Bloody War on - and Sea Shepherd Prepares
>> to Defend - the Whales
>>
>> Japan has been ruthless in their pursuit and massacre of
>> the world's great whales. It has become a matter of honour
>> according to some Japanese to kill as many whales as they
>> can in order to assert their dominance over the world's
>> oceans.
>
>Why do you support this overtly racist smear campaign of a
>known terrorist group like Sea Shepherd? You make me sick.

That was the wildest, most outlandishly *false* output from
Watson's racist bunch since they initially went wild over the
Makah Indians a decade ago.

Something tells me Japan may actually *be* getting close to
a political victory over these idiots.

Ronald 'More-More' Moshki
2006-06-08 15:24:50 EST
Floyd L. Davidson wrote:
> chico chupacabra <support@our.troops> wrote:
> >"pearl" <lesley@foot.rub> wrote:
> >
> >> Japan Declares Bloody War on - and Sea Shepherd Prepares
> >> to Defend - the Whales
> >>
> >> Japan has been ruthless in their pursuit and massacre of
> >> the world's great whales. It has become a matter of honour
> >> according to some Japanese to kill as many whales as they
> >> can in order to assert their dominance over the world's
> >> oceans.
> >
> >Why do you support this overtly racist smear campaign of a
> >known terrorist group like Sea Shepherd? You make me sick.
>
> That was the wildest, most outlandishly *false* output from
> Watson's racist bunch since they initially went wild over the
> Makah Indians a decade ago.
>
> Something tells me Japan may actually *be* getting close to
> a political victory over these idiots.
The life of a salamander is worth more than
1,000000000000000000000000000000000
of the combined lives of the last two posters.

Make that the life of a microbe.

Chico Chupacabra
2006-06-08 23:25:26 EST
"Ronald 'More-More' Moshki" <sector_four@yahoo.com> wrote:

> Floyd L. Davidson wrote:
> > chico chupacabra <support@our.troops> wrote:

> > >Why do you support this overtly racist smear campaign of a
> > >known terrorist group like Sea Shepherd? You make me sick.
> >
> > That was the wildest, most outlandishly *false* output from
> > Watson's racist bunch since they initially went wild over the
> > Makah Indians a decade ago.
> >
> > Something tells me Japan may actually *be* getting close to
> > a political victory over these idiots.
> The life of a salamander is worth more than
> 1,000000000000000000000000000000000
> of the combined lives of the last two posters.
>
> Make that the life of a microbe.

I've written before that you AR-types are misanthropes whose concern about animals is merely a phony veneer to hide your true contempt for your fellow man. Thanks for adding more support to my thesis.

David @ Tokyo
2006-06-09 21:10:24 EST
pearl wrote:

> But surely they would not exterminates the whales.
> Or would they?
>
> Back in 1997 Captain Paul Watson had the opportunity
> to sit down and speak with members of the Japanese
> delegation in Monaco.
>
> Captain Watson asked whaling delegate Tadahiko
> Nakamura directly if he was concerned about the
> survival of the whales and would he like to have his
> children and grand-children see the whales.
>
> His answer was shocking. "No," he said. "My duty
> is to my family, mu country and my company and
> that duty is to make as much profit as I can for them
> today. I am not concerned with future generations.
> They will have to find ways to survive just as we
> must find ways to survive today."
>
> Captain Watson then asked if he was concerned that
> the whales would go extinct? "They may go extinct
> but that is not my concern. My concern is to realize
> the maximum profit from them before they do."
>
> This echoes the sentiments of Andrew Behr, the
> owner of the pirate whaler Sierra that Captain Watson
> rammed and disabled on July 16, 1979 and sank on
> February 6th, 1980.n the Sea.
>
> Behr said that he was aware that whales could be
> driven to extinction and if they were going to go
> extinct then why not make as much profit from them
> before they do.

Is the person who posts this as stupid as I think they must be?

Pearl
2006-06-16 09:53:58 EST
Saving Leviathan
By Captain Paul Watson
Thursday, June 15, 2006 10:45 PM

They say the sea is cold, but the sea contains the hottest blood of all,
and the wildest, the most urgent.
-- D.H. Lawrence, "Whales Weep Not"

The hot blood of the great whales may soon flow freely into the cold
frigid waters of the Southern Oceans as harpoon cannons roar and
the long flensing knives reduce the world's largest intelligent beings
into slabs of toxin-laden meat and fat to be served in sushi bars on
beds of rice, force-fed to children in schools, and marketed to the
public in fast food restaurants.

The fate of the world's whales may be fatally decided this week as
the International Whaling Commission meets in St. Kitts & Nevis in
the Caribbean beginning June 16. Delegates from the Pacific islands
of Tuvalu, the Solomon Islands, and Palau, from the West African
nations of Senegal and the Ivory Coast, and from Cambodia will
be soaking up the sun and sipping tropical drinks on the expense
account of the Japanese whaling delegation.

For these delegates, all expenses are paid by Japan, including the
membership fees to the International Whaling Commission. All
that Japan requires of these nations that they have recruited is
their vote to resume commercial whaling.

Japan has succeeded in bribing enough nations to take control of
the 70 member international whaling regulatory body. They don't
yet have the two-thirds majority required to overturn the global
commercial moratorium on whaling established in 1986, but they
will have the votes to give some legitimacy to their desire to
increase the number of whales they intend to slaughter in the
world's oceans.

The nations that make up the majority are small, but they each
have a vote equal to the larger and more populous nations.
Thus, tiny Tuvalu with a population of only 8,000 negates the
conservation vote of the United States with 300 million people.

In 2001, the IWC adopted a resolution calling for "complete
independence of sovereign countries to decide their own
policies and freely participate in the IWC without undue
interference or coercion from other sovereign countries."

For Japan, a nation that has for years flagrantly disdained the
rules governing whaling, this is just another resolution to be
ignored as they influence the direction of the IWC to go where
they wish to take it.

Last year there were 66 members of the IWC. This year there
are 70 members. Each year Japan recruits additional members
in exchange for foreign aid packages thereby weakening the
conservation efforts of nations that seek to protect the whales
from commercial slaughter.

If Japanese whalers cannot be stopped from pirating the world's
whales, there is a real and present danger that the whales and
humanity may suffer the loss of these magnificent minds in the
water, these largest of living Earthlings.

For over three decades I have fought illegal whaling on the
high seas. These have been dangerous and difficult campaigns
in which we have placed ourselves between the harpoons and
the whales and directly intervened against powerful ships in
hostile whalers that have shot at us, rammed us, and threatened
our lives. We also have been aggressive in our defense of the
whales, all the while exercising the greatest caution to not injure
the killers of the whales while we have attempted to rescue their
victims.

If Japan succeeds in compromising the IWC, there will be an
escalation of confrontations at sea with the inevitable result that
whale defenders may fall victim to the deadly harpoons they are
trying to stop.

But we have no other choice. If the world's governments cannot
overcome Japan and Norway's deceptive and hostile attempt to
take over the IWC, the battles will escalate on the high seas and
conservationists will be forced to risk their lives more than ever
in the quest to save Leviathan from the ruthless extermination at
the hands of humans intent upon their exploitation and destruction.

The slaughter of the great whales has no place in the 21st Century.
It must be ended.

Captain Paul Watson was a co-founder of the Greenpeace
Foundation and the founder and current President of the
International Sea Shepherd Conservation Society.

http://seashepherd.org

__._,_.___

Pearl
2006-06-17 08:28:00 EST
Leaders 'ignore public' on whales
By Richard Black
Environment Correspondent,
BBC News website, St Kitts
Friday, 16 June 2006, 01:44 GMT 02:44 UK

The backing given by some developing country governments
for whaling is not supported by their citizens, according to an
opinion poll.

It comes on the eve of the annual meeting of the International
Whaling Commission (IWC) in St Kitts.

The environmental group WWF commissioned research in
nine Pacific and Caribbean countries which usually vote with
pro-whaling Japan.

Japan is hoping to win a vote at the meeting to end a ban on
whale hunting.

There are signs that Japan and its supporters are in the majority
and may be successful.

But according to the WWF poll, in all but one of the Pacific
and Caribbean countries, more people opposed whaling than
supported it.

The poll also showed opposition in a tenth country, the
Marshall Islands, which has joined the IWC within the last
month, reportedly at the behest of Japan.

WWF is urging delegates from these countries to vote according
to the poll results.

"The evidence is overwhelming," said Sue Lieberman, head of
WWF's global species programme.

"Governments are ignoring public opinion and claiming to vote
for whaling on behalf of their citizens."

WWF commissioned surveys in Antigua and Barbuda, Dominica,
Grenada, Kiribati, the Marshall Islands, Palau, St Kitts and Nevis,
St Lucia, the Solomon Islands, and Tuvalu, asking the question:
"Do you think your country should vote for or against a return to
commercial whaling?"

The strongest response came from Antigua and Barbuda, where
79% voted "no" and 14% "yes"; the only country responding in
favour was Grenada, and that by only 1%.

'Principled position'

Anthony Liverpool, Antigua and Barbuda's whaling commissioner,
said his government's voting position at the IWC was not simply
based on whaling, but on a wider goal of ensuring sustainable use
of its own natural resources.

"I really think it's an unfair question to put to the majority of
Antiguans and Barbudans, because Antigua and Barbuda does not
have a history or tradition or culture of whaling; the majority of
our people are not very knowledgeable about whaling," he told
BBC News.

"The government's position at the IWC is a principled position on
the importance of using our marine resources in a manner and at a
rate that will enable that resource to last for generations."

Each national poll involved 200 people in the Pacific states
involved, 300 in the Caribbean nations.

On the edge

WWF released its survey on the eve of what may be the most
important whaling conference in 20 years, since the global
moratorium on hunting "great whales" such as humpbacks and
fin whales came into force.

The early indications are that the pro-whaling bloc led by Japan
will command a majority, though the true balance of power will
emerge only when it is clear how many delegates have come to
the meeting and paid their subscriptions, enabling them to vote.

Within the last month Cambodia, Guatemala, Israel and the
Marshall Islands have joined the IWC, and of those only Israel
looks set to side with the anti-whaling bloc.

Japan's alternate (deputy) whaling commissioner, Joji Morishita,
believes the IWC is heading in the wrong direction; having been
established to regulate whaling, he said, it now seeks to prevent it.

"We believe the IWC is a resource-management organisation,"
he told BBC News, "but this one is not doing its job."

Modern understanding

If it does command a majority, Japan wants to "normalise" the
IWC, which may involve removing programmes looking at whale
welfare and small cetaceans such as dolphins, and will certainly
move it back towards its original purpose of regulating
commercial whaling.

"It's exactly the same as the conservation and management of
any other fisheries or wildlife resources," said Mr Morishita.

"It's fine for some countries to have a special animal or to see
some animal as sacred, but it's not correct to impose that way
of thinking on other countries; we have no logical reason to treat
whales differently from the rest of the animal kingdom."

Conservation groups and the anti-whaling bloc of countries,
which numbers Australia and New Zealand among its most
vocal members, maintain that public opinion and science have
moved on, and the IWC, by focussing on conservation, is
reflecting the public will and modern understanding of the
population status and sentience of whales.

"Since many years, a quarter of a century ago, things have
changed - it's no longer a whaling club," said Leah Garces
of the World Society for the Protection of Animals (WSPA).

"This is a club where we're talking about the conservation,
the welfare, the management of whales in a non-lethal manner
in a way which will protect them for future generations."

If Japan gets its way when voting begins, it may not be such
a club for much longer.

Guide to whale species
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/shared/spl/hi/guides/456900/456973/html/nn1page1.stm

Pearl
2006-06-17 08:31:08 EST
JAPAN FAILS TO TAKE CONTROL OF THE IWC //
Sea Shepherd Shames Greenpeace into Returning to the
Southern Ocean // Update on the Farley Mowat

Date: Mon, 19 Jun 2006

St. Kitts Declaration is an Insight into Human
Ecological Insanity

Commentary by Captain Paul Watson

The first motion Japan has introduced in 20 years
that has been passed by the International Whaling
Commission is bizarre and reflects just how out of
touch with ecological realities Japan and their puppet
sycophantic nations are.

The motion passed by just one vote and that vote
was cast by Denmark which now has the distinction
of casting the deciding vote that has strengthened the
hand of the whalers.

Fortunately the declaration was passed by a simple
majority of one vote and did not even get close to the
required two-thirds majority needed to overturn the
global moratorium.

A look at the wording is revealing.

The declaration states that whaling is necessary for
developing nations to diversify their agriculture. In
other words whales are being considered as domestic
crops to be harvested.

The only nations that are demanding the overturn of
the global moratorium are Japan, Norway and Iceland
and these three nations can hardly be classified as
developing nations and certainly not poor nations.

The declaration then states that whales eat huge
quantities of fish and therefore are responsible for
the world's dwindling resources of fish. The
declaration suggests that the IWC is being
irresponsible in allowing these whales to continue to
eat all of the fish which Japan believes belongs to
the Japanese people.

According to the declaration, humanity having
destroyed more than 90% of the fish in the sea, are
now blaming the whales for the demise of these same
fish and suggesting that the whales must be destroyed
in the name of fish conservation. This argument has
not a shred of scientific validity and has been
constructed to serve the commercial self interests of
Japan and Norway.

St. Kitts may have introduced the declaration, but
St. Kitts is not an independent nation. It is a country
that has been economically invaded and has
surrendered its integrity and honour in exchange for
paltry Japanese hand-outs.

The declaration then specifically targets anti-whaling
groups as "threats" to whaling and suggests that the
IWC label these groups as unacceptable and disallow
their participation at IWC meetings. The declaration
unabashedly states that NGO's that oppose whaling
have a self interested agenda that interferes with the
agenda of those who wish to profit from the killing of
whales and suggests that whaling is not motivated by
self-interest. In other words if a profit is to be made
from killing whales then that is not a self-interested
position, and those who save whales without profit
must therefore be acting in self interest.

The Sea Shepherd Conservation Society is not worried
about this part of the declaration. We have been
banned from the IWC since 1986 because we confess
that we are indeed a threat to whaling. The declaration
could hoever throw even the moderate conservationists
NGO's out of the meeting although pro-killing NGO's
like the High North Alliance would be allowed to stay
because their condoning of whaling is of course not
motivated by self-interest.

The declaration states that the IWC should be
"normalized". This is the Newspeak term for the
resumption of whale killing. The Japanese argue that
since the IWC was set up to manage whaling that it
obligated to promote whaling. Yet the objectives of
the IWC have been changed over the last three decades
by the participating member nations and the IWC has
evolved from a whale killing to a whale conservation
organization. Japan finds this evolution to be
unacceptable and has chosen to negate this majority
position by recruiting puppet nations through bribery
to force the IWC to turn the calendar back to before
1947 when the IWC was pro-whaling. Japan would like
to turn the calendar back on many issues prior to 1946
when it failed to dominate and subjugate Asia through
brutality and violence. Today Japan is hoping to
achieve through economic power and bribery what it
could not achieve through military thuggery.

Japan claims to be killing whales for scientific
research yet they have not produced any credible
scientific papers to justify this bogus research.
After killing 17,000 whales the only research they
have to show for it is marketing and product
development efforts. Japan also claims that they have
not influenced any nations to vote in their favor. Yet
Guatemala arrived late at St. Kitts to pay their IWC
membership fee in Japanese Yen.

The fact is that the nations voting a straight yes to
all of Japan's resolutions have together received over
$400 million in Japanese foreign aid packages
including tens of thousands of Japanese cars dumped
cheaply or for free onto Caribbean and Pacific
islands. Thanks to Japan, St. Lucia has traffic jams
and every car is a Japanese model.

In short, Japan wants us to believe that whales must
be killed before they eat all the fish in the oceans
so that poor developing nations can have a way to
diversify their "agriculture" by harvesting whales.
This is an altruistic approach unlike those selfish
self-interested whale defending non-governmental
organizations who continue to embarrass Japan by
pointing out their reams of lies and their ridiculous
cultural pride that motivates their extermination of
the world's whales and dolphins because no one is
going to tell Japan what to do.

What Japan needs is an economic equivalent of the
Hiroshima bomb. Their last insane lust for power and
control ended in near suicidal horror as they
attempted to loot, plunder, slaughter and rape their
way through Asia. Today they are looting, plundering,
slaughtering and raping their way through the world's
oceans. Instead of victimizing innocent Chinese
citizens and raping their mothers, they are massacring
the world's innocent whales and dolphins and
systematically destroying entire populations of fish
and invertebrates in their commercial quest to feed an
appetite based on a cultural preference for living
beings from the sea, preferably raw, exotic and rare.

The sheer audacity of it is mind-numbing. One hundred
million sushi eating Japanese have the gall to accuse
the world's whales and dolphins of eating to many
fish. The nation that devolved racism into a cultural
pillar of their society where non-Japanese are
considered inferior now have the effrontery to accuse
conservationists defending whales of being racist.
This incredibly wealthy nation has the arrogance to
state that whales must be killed to appease poverty by
shipping the whale meat to the Tokyo fish market to
be sold at high prices to affluent Japanese citizens. In
return Japan will toss a few used cars onto remote
islands and construct a fish plant or two to help
locals plunder more fish to send to Japan.

The St. Kitts Declaration is ecological insanity
presented by a mindset that is so ruthlessly resource
exploitive in its priorities that all means are justified
to keep the madness of perpetual oceanic resource
extraction continually active.

To say that whales are abundant is ridiculous. To say
that whales are eating all the world's fish is delusional.
To say that the IWC can only be "normalized" by a
return to wholesale whale slaughter is sadistically
sociopathic. Empathy for the whales is dismissed as
"emotional".

Emotion is a human trait that is rejected only by
totalitarian systems. To dismiss emotion is to
dismiss humanity's greatest virtue and it's only
hope for survival.

It is madness to reject emotion in favor of cold
systematic utilitarian exploitation. It is the same
madness that sent the Nazi's on the march to horror
and self extermination and it is the same madness that
screamed Banzai as Japanese lopped off Australian
heads and starved American and British soldiers and
civilians in Southeast Asia only a generation ago, a
madness that was only stopped by the madness of
nuclear annihilation.

The St. Kitt's Declaration will go down in history as
one of the most bizarre and most incomprehensible
attempts at a regulatory document ever devised.

The sad part is that the little Japanese island pawn
nation of St. Kitts and Nevis will shoulder the ridicule
that future generations will heap upon it because
the name will implicate them for a document of
ridiculousness authored by the sushi samurai brigade
under the leadership of Joji Morishita whose idea of
honour is to wallow like a power drunken psychopath
in the hot spurting blood of intelligent sentient creatures,
as he prattles nonsense from a brain riddled and
addled from years of exposure to mercury.

We can only hope that when Morishita is drooling
and staring into space from a heavy-metaled assaulted
swiss cheesed brain that he will have failed to ignite
a pogrom of slaughter upon whalekind.

The St. Kitt's Declaration is good for one thing. It
has no effective power and it reveals the utter
ecological ignorance and arrogance of Japan and
their purchased rinky-dink finger puppet nations.

This commentary may be freely distributed and
published.

Full Text of the St. Kitts Declaration

St. Kitts and Nevis, Antigua and Barbuda, Benin,
Cambodia, Cameroon, Cote d'Ivoire, Dominica, Gabon,
Gambia, Grenada, Republic of Guinea,
Iceland, Japan, Kiribati, Mali, Republic of the
Marshall Islands, Mauritania, Mongolia, Morocco,
Nauru, Nicaragua, Norway, Republic of
Palau, Russian Federation, St. Lucia, St. Vincent and
the Grenadines, Solomon Islands, Suriname, Tog,
Tuvalu.

EMPHASIZING that the use of cetaceans in many parts
of the world including the Caribbean, contributes to
sustainable coastal communities,
sustainable livelihoods, food security and poverty
reduction and that placing the use of whales outside
the context of the globally accepted
norm of science-based management and rule-making for
emotional reasons would set a bad precedent that risks
our use of fisheries and other
renewable resources;

FURTHER EMPHASIZING that the use of marine
resources as an integral part of development options
is critically important at this time for a number
of countries experiencing the need to diversify their
agriculture;

UNDERSTANDING that the purpose of the 1946
International Convention for the Regulation of Whaling
(ICRW) is to "provide for the proper
conservation of whale stocks and thus make possible
the orderly development of the whaling industry"
(quoted from the Preamble to the Convention) and
that the International Whaling Commission (IWC) is
therefore about managing whaling to ensure whale
stocks are not over-harvested rather than protecting
all whales irrespective of their abundance;

NOTING that in 1982 the IWC adopted a moratorium on
commercial whaling (paragraph 10e of the Schedule to
the ICRW) without advice from the Commission's
Scientific Committee that such measure was required
for conservation purposes;

FURTHER NOTING that the moratorium which was
clearly intended as a temporary measure is no longer
necessary, that the Commission adopted a robust and
risk-averse procedure (RMP) for calculating quotas
for abundant stocks of baleen whales in 1994 and that
the IWC's own Scientific Committee has agreed that
many species and stocks of whales are abundant and
sustainable whaling is possible;

CONCERNED that after 14 years of discussion and
negotiation, the IWC has failed to complete and
implement a management regime to regulate
commercial whaling.

ACCEPTING that scientific research has shown that
whales consume huge quantities of fish making the
issue a matter of food security for coastal nations and
requiring that the issue of management of whale stocks
must be considered in a broader context of ecosystem
management since eco-system management has now
become an international standard.

REJECTING as unacceptable that a number of
international NGOs with self-interest campaigns should
use threats in an attempt to direct government policy
on matters of sovereign rights related to the use of
resources for food security and national development;

NOTING that the position of some members that are
opposed to the resumption of commercial whaling on a
sustainable basis irrespective of the status of whale
stocks is contrary to the object and purpose of the
International Convention for the Regulation of Whaling;

UNDERSTANDING that the IWC can be saved from
collapse only by implementing conservation and
management measures which will allow controlled and
sustainable whaling which would not mean a return to
historic over-harvesting and that continuing failure to do
so serves neither the interests of whale conservation nor
management;

NOW THEREFORE:

COMMISSIONERS express their concern that the IWC
has failed to meet its obligations under the terms of the
ICRW and, DECLARE our commitment to normalizing
the functions of the IWC based on the terms of the
ICRW and other relevant international law, respect for
cultural diversity and traditions of coastal peoples
and the fundamental principles of sustainable use of
resources, and the need for science-based policy and
rulemaking that are accepted as the world standard for
the management of marine resources.