Vegetarian Discussion: Physicians' Group Responds To Smear Tactics By Tobacco/Meat Industry Front Group

Physicians' Group Responds To Smear Tactics By Tobacco/Meat Industry Front Group

And/or Www.mantra.com/jai Dr. Jai Maharaj
2006-04-12 06:34:59 EST
Physicians' Group Responds to Smear Tactics by Tobacco/Meat Industry Front Group

News Release

November 7, 2005

Contact: Patrick Sullivan,
202-686-2210, ext. 311; psullivan@pcrm.org

Physicians' Group Responds to Smear Tactics by
Tobacco/Meat Industry Front Group

Criticisms are False and Anti-Public Health

Washington - The Physicians Committee for Responsible
Medicine responds to a news release published recently by
the "Center for Consumer Freedom" (CCF), a group funded
by the tobacco, meat, and junk-food industries.

CCF was founded by tobacco lobbyist Rick Berman with more
than $3 million from Philip Morris and continues to
receive funding from industries that market unhealthful
products. Through CCF and other front groups, Berman has
fought against stricter limits on legal blood-alcohol
levels, improvements in minimum wage, health information
for consumers, and other progressive efforts that his
commercial clients view as contrary to their interests.

Over the past few years, CCF has escalated its attacks
against organizations that warn the public about the
health risks associated with alcohol, meat, and other
junk food products. Berman has admitted publicly that his
MO is to "shoot the messenger" by trying to disparage the
credibility of his opponents. His employees do not
attempt reasoned discussion of the scientific issues
about health. The list of public health advocates in
CCF's line of fire includes former New York Mayor Rudy
Giuliani for speaking out against drunk driving, the
Centers for Disease Control and Prevention for tackling
food safety, the World Health Organization for addressing
obesity, and Mothers Against Drunk Driving. (For an in-
depth expos\ufffd by best-selling author John Stauber, please
visit
http://www.prwatch.org/prwissues/2001Q1/berman1.html .)
A complaint recently filed with the IRS charges that CCF
has violated its tax-exempt status by allegedly engaging
in "activities with no charitable purpose" and making
large payments to Berman.

As to CCF's false statements about PCRM, here's the
truth. Founded 20 years ago, PCRM is a nonprofit
501(c)(3) organization working to promote good nutrition
and higher standards in both human and animal research.
PCRM has a four-star rating from Charity Navigator. PCRM
both conducts clinical nutrition research and helps
educate the public about preventive medicine, especially
the multitude of health benefits possible with low-fat
and vegetarian diets. PCRM also opposes unethical
research. PCRM exposed experiments in which short,
healthy children were to be injected with genetically
engineered growth hormone in an attempt to make them
taller. PCRM also exposed the practice of using massive
estrogen doses to suppress height in tall adolescent
girls. In addition, PCRM vigorously promotes alternatives
to the use of animals in medical education and research
through a variety of innovative programs.

PCRM's physicians, dietitians, and scientists are leaders
in their field. They publish their work in peer-reviewed
academic journals, present their findings before
scientific conferences, and serve as consultants on
government panels. PCRM's president Neal Barnard, M.D.,
( http://www.NealBarnard.org ), for example, is a
respected nutrition researcher whose current work is
sponsored by the National Institutes of Health. PCRM
experts are also popular with lay audiences. PCRM doctors
and nutritionists are frequent guests in the national and
international media, and popular writers in the lay
press.

CCF tries to characterize health advocates, vegetarians,
and animal protection groups as radicals or terrorists.
However, PCRM's policies would specifically exclude
anyone promoting violence or illegal activity from
functioning as a spokesperson or having any role in the
organization. This sort of name-calling represents
Berman's tactic of ignoring facts and attacking critics
of the unhealthful industries he represents.

CCF mistakenly charges that the American Medical
Association (AMA) has "censured" PCRM: This is patently
untrue. PCRM did have disagreements with the AMA in the
early 1990s (the AMA supported animal testing, while PCRM
promotes alternatives; PCRM favors vegetarian diets,
while the AMA was initially skeptical), but the AMA's
censure process was never applied to PCRM. In fact, PCRM
president Neal Barnard, M.D., is a lifetime AMA member.
In February 2004, the AMA released a statement saying
that its previous criticisms of PCRM's stance on
vegetarianism do not represent current AMA opinion or
policy. ( http://www.pcrm.org/news/statement040218.html ).

CCF also alleges that PCRM acts as a "front" for other
groups. This is another unfounded and defamatory claim.
While CCF is indeed an industry front, PCRM is an
independent, nonprofit organization, and has been since
its founding in 1985. PCRM often works with a wide-
ranging variety of organizations promoting human health,
scientific research, medical education, and protection of
animals in laboratories, as well as consumer groups,
hospitals, universities, corporations, and other health
charities. For more information about PCRM or an
interview with one of our senior staff, please call
PCRM's Communications Department at 202-686-2210, ext.
311, or ext. 316.

End of forwarded message from:
http://www.pcrm.org/news/pcrmresponds.html

Jai Maharaj
http://tinyurl.com/a5ljc
http://www.mantra.com/jai
Om Shanti

Hindu Holocaust Museum
http://www.mantra.com/holocaust

Hindu life, principles, spirituality and philosophy
http://www.hindu.org
http://www.hindunet.org

The truth about Islam and Muslims
http://www.flex.com/~jai/satyamevajayate

fair use of copyrighted works.

copyright owner.

Leif Erikson
2006-04-12 10:47:46 EST
Dr. Jai Maharaj wrote:

> Physicians' Group Responds to Smear Tactics by Tobacco/Meat Industry Front Group
>
> News Release
>
> November 7, 2005
>
> Contact: Patrick Sullivan,
> 202-686-2210, ext. 311; psullivan@pcrm.org
>
> Physicians' Group Responds to Smear Tactics by
> Tobacco/Meat Industry Front Group
>
> Criticisms are False and Anti-Public Health
>
> Washington - The Physicians Committee for Responsible
> Medicine

The PCRM is an extremist propaganda group. They have
no credibility, period.

And/or Www.mantra.com/jai Dr. Jai Maharaj
2006-04-12 11:07:49 EST
[...]

2006-04-12 11:35:03 EST
not-a-doctor and phony Hindoo Jay Stevens, liar and
fraud SWINDLER living in Hawaii, blabbered:

> Physicians' Group Responds to Smear Tactics by Tobacco/Meat Industry Front Group
>
> News Release

The PCRM is an extremist propaganda group. They have
no credibility, period.

Repeating the so-called "news release" does nothing to
enhance their credibility, charlatan Jay - they have
none in the first place. You have none, either.

Rudy Canoza's Empty Skull
2006-04-12 13:19:59 EST

Leif Erikson wrote:
> not-a-doctor and phony Hindoo Jay Stevens, liar and
> fraud SWINDLER living in Hawaii, blabbered:
>
> > Physicians' Group Responds to Smear Tactics by Tobacco/Meat Industry Front Group
> >
> > News Release
> >

> The PCRM is an extremist propaganda group. They have
> no credibility, period.
>
> Repeating the so-called "news release" does nothing to
> enhance their credibility, charlatan Jay - they have
> none in the first place. You have none, either.

sez who?.....you?.....a nasty little brute of a goober?

Harmony
2006-04-12 15:13:32 EST
wouldn't it be a good diea to sell phillip morris to arabs and run the ports
ourselves?

<*t@mantra.com12sEOt and/or www.mantra.com/jai (Dr. Jai Maharaj)> wrote
in message news:20060412sEOta4640OFQVo@FriO...
> [...]
current
> e-mail and postal addresses, and live-voice telephone number.
> o Posted for information and discussion. Views expressed by others
are
> not necessarily those of the poster who may or may not have read the
article.

> FAIR USE NOTICE: This article may contain copyrighted material the use of
> which may or may not have been specifically authorized by the copyright
> owner. This material is being made available in efforts to advance the
> understanding of environmental, political, human rights, economic,
> democratic, scientific, social, and cultural, etc., issues. It is believed
> that this constitutes a 'fair use' of any such copyrighted material as
> provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law. In accordance with
Title
> 17 U.S.C. Section 107, the material on this site is distributed without
> profit to those who have expressed a prior interest in receiving the
included
> information for research, comment, discussion and educational purposes by
> subscribing to USENET newsgroups or visiting web sites. For more
information
> go to: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml
> If you wish to use copyrighted material from this article for purposes of
> your own that go beyond 'fair use', you must obtain permission from the
> copyright owner.

N*@yahoo.com
2006-04-12 17:20:56 EST
http://www.activistcash.com/organization_overview.cfm/oid/23
"The Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine (PCRM) is a wolf in
sheep's clothing. PCRM is a fanatical animal rights group that seeks
to remove eggs, milk, meat, and seafood from the American diet, and to
eliminate the use of animals in scientific research. Despite its
operational and financial ties to other animal activist groups and its
close relationship with violent zealots, PCRM has successfully duped
the media and much of the general public into believing that its
pronouncements about the superiority of vegetarian-only diets represent
the opinion of the medical community."

And Www.mantra.com/jai Dr. Jai Maharaj
2006-04-12 17:49:37 EST
[...]

2006-04-12 17:51:50 EST
Good idea. Are the Arabs willing to walk a mile
for a coffin nail (cigarette)?

Jai Maharaj
http://tinyurl.com/a5ljc
http://www.mantra.com/jai
Om Shanti

In article <eec%f.769$fG3.351@dukeread09>,
"harmony" <aka@hotmail.com> posted:
> [...]
> > understanding of environmental, political, human rights, economic,
> > democratic, scientific, social, and cultural, etc., issues. It is believed
> > that this constitutes a 'fair use' of any such copyrighted material as
> > provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law. In accordance with
> Title
> > 17 U.S.C. Section 107, the material on this site is distributed without
> > profit to those who have expressed a prior interest in receiving the
> included
> > information for research, comment, discussion and educational purposes by
> > subscribing to USENET newsgroups or visiting web sites. For more
> information
> > go to: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml
> > If you wish to use copyrighted material from this article for purposes of
> > your own that go beyond 'fair use', you must obtain permission from the

Leif Erikson
2006-04-12 17:58:24 EST
not-a-doctor and phony Hindoo Jay Stevens, liar and
fraud SWINDLER living in Hawaii, blabbered:

> Physicians' Group Responds to Smear Tactics by Tobacco/Meat Industry Front Group
>
> News Release

The PCRM is an extremist propaganda group. They have
no credibility, period.

Repeating the so-called "news release" does nothing to
enhance their credibility, charlatan Jay - they have
none in the first place. You have none, either.

Go fuck yourself, Jay, you cunt.