Vegetarian Discussion: People Eating Tasty Animals

People Eating Tasty Animals
Posts: 26

Report Abuse

Use this form to report abuse or request takedown.
The requests are usually processed within 48 hours.

Page: 1 2 3   Next  (First | Last)

Oscar
2006-02-21 21:33:15 EST
BBQ Turtle Steak

For those of you that haven't had the opportunity to have BBQ turtle steak,
you don't know what your missing. Green, hawksbill, loggerhead, pond, or
stream turtle can be used.

Ingredients:
3 lbs. turtle steak
6 limes
\ufffd cup of olive oil
\ufffd teaspoon garlic powder
clove of garlic
dash of white pepper
salt and pepper to taste

Clean and rinse the turtle well. Cut into steaks \ufffd to \ufffd-inch in thickness.
Squeeze the lime juice into a 9-12" baking dish. Rub the cut lime into the
steak, "you should get the oil of the peel into the steak". Rub the steaks
with cut garlic clove, lightly sprinkle with salt and place them into the
lime juice, refrigerate for 1 hour.

Remove from lime juice, brush with lots of olive oil, sprinkle with white
pepper and garlic powder, add more salt if necessary. BBQ over hot coals
until the steaks are tender.

A fresh green salad, corn fritters or hush puppies along with some herb rice
are excellent compliments for BBQ turtle.

ENJOY!!!




Jos.Carman
2006-02-22 02:25:32 EST
> oscar wrote:
> BBQ Turtle Steak
>
> For those of you that haven't had the opportunity to
> have BBQ turtle steak, you don't know what you're
> missing. Green, hawksbill, loggerhead, pond, or
> stream turtle can be used.
> (snip)
>
Carman wrote:
It's a good idea to keep the turtle in a large pool of
clean water and feed it lots of lettuce and celery for
at least a week. If you can keep it for a month it's
even better. This cleanout period allows you to look
for disease, and will improve the taste of the meat
immeasurably.


Oscar
2006-02-22 06:48:24 EST

"Jos.Carman" <jos_carman@yahoo.com> wrote in message
news:1140593132.612272.166670@f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com...
>> oscar wrote:
>> BBQ Turtle Steak
>>
>> For those of you that haven't had the opportunity to
>> have BBQ turtle steak, you don't know what you're
>> missing. Green, hawksbill, loggerhead, pond, or
>> stream turtle can be used.
>> (snip)
>>
> Carman wrote:
> It's a good idea to keep the turtle in a large pool of
> clean water and feed it lots of lettuce and celery for
> at least a week. If you can keep it for a month it's
> even better. This cleanout period allows you to look
> for disease, and will improve the taste of the meat
> immeasurably.
>
Great... thanks for the heads-up and I'll note it on my recipe card. It has
to beat eating around the tire tracks. Do you have any favorite gator
recipes? Perhaps something with a good Cajun twang to it? I tried doing
Cajun Cabbage but it just didn't satisfy my taste buds.

Oscar



Morton Davis
2006-02-22 08:01:20 EST

"oscar" <oscar@frotz.com> wrote in message
news:43fc4ed3_5@newsfeed.slurp.net...
>
> "Jos.Carman" <jos_carman@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> news:1140593132.612272.166670@f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com...
> >> oscar wrote:
> >> BBQ Turtle Steak
> >>
> >> For those of you that haven't had the opportunity to
> >> have BBQ turtle steak, you don't know what you're
> >> missing. Green, hawksbill, loggerhead, pond, or
> >> stream turtle can be used.
> >> (snip)
> >>
> > Carman wrote:
> > It's a good idea to keep the turtle in a large pool of
> > clean water and feed it lots of lettuce and celery for
> > at least a week. If you can keep it for a month it's
> > even better. This cleanout period allows you to look
> > for disease, and will improve the taste of the meat
> > immeasurably.
> >
> Great... thanks for the heads-up and I'll note it on my recipe card. It
has
> to beat eating around the tire tracks. Do you have any favorite gator
> recipes? Perhaps something with a good Cajun twang to it? I tried doing
> Cajun Cabbage but it just didn't satisfy my taste buds.
>
>
How about a recipe for cajun fried Ivory Billed Woodpecker?



Jos.Carman
2006-02-22 09:39:37 EST
Carman wrote:
I've never eaten gator, but I think I'd want to have
the gator spend some time in the cleanout tank too.
Maybe a real long time.


Roy. Just Roy.
2006-02-22 09:53:25 EST
http://www.werc.usgs.gov/hq/turtlefaq.htm#1

"There are about 270 species of turtles in the world, 56 in the United
States. Worldwide, about half of all turtles are in trouble and need
some kind of conservation action. In the U.S. 25 of our turtle species,
almost half, are in trouble. "

[snip]

"Most turtles (all animals with a shell and a backbone are turtles even
those we call tortoises or terrapins) are endangered for the same
reasons: habitat destruction, OVERHUNTING FOR MEAT or medicinal uses,
predation by animals that do well around humans (foxes, raccoons,
etc.), disease, and capture for the pet trade. Because turtles have
naturally high nest mortality, and because they take a long time to
reach sexual maturity, they cannot respond to rapid changes brought
about by humans."

> Green, hawksbill, loggerhead, pond, or
stream turtle can be used.

Green turtle -


Roy. Just Roy.
2006-02-22 10:01:50 EST
Ack, damn posting button:

> Green, hawksbill, loggerhead, pond, or stream turtle can be used.

Green - Endangered
Hawksbill - Critically Endangered
Loggerhead - Threatened
(Western) Pond - (Clemmys marmorata) - Endangered (Washington State)

Also, the original to this post can be found (copyrighted) at
http://www.crawfish.cc/bbq_turtle.htm.

Conclusion: If you want to troll, at least try to be original about it.


Oscar
2006-02-22 10:48:43 EST

"Roy. Just Roy." <delduck3@yahoo.com> wrote in message
news:1140620005.062227.220380@f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com...
> http://www.werc.usgs.gov/hq/turtlefaq.htm#1
>
> "There are about 270 species of turtles in the world, 56 in the United
> States. Worldwide, about half of all turtles are in trouble and need
> some kind of conservation action. In the U.S. 25 of our turtle species,
> almost half, are in trouble. "
>
> [snip]
>
> "Most turtles (all animals with a shell and a backbone are turtles even
> those we call tortoises or terrapins) are endangered for the same
> reasons: habitat destruction, OVERHUNTING FOR MEAT or medicinal uses,
> predation by animals that do well around humans (foxes, raccoons,
> etc.), disease, and capture for the pet trade. Because turtles have
> naturally high nest mortality, and because they take a long time to
> reach sexual maturity, they cannot respond to rapid changes brought
> about by humans."

I guess we'd better eat fast then.



Oscar
2006-02-22 11:11:38 EST

"Roy. Just Roy." <delduck3@yahoo.com> wrote in message
news:1140620398.166386.246160@f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com...
> Ack, damn posting button:
>
>> Green, hawksbill, loggerhead, pond, or stream turtle can be used.
>
> Green - Endangered
> Hawksbill - Critically Endangered
> Loggerhead - Threatened
> (Western) Pond - (Clemmys marmorata) - Endangered (Washington State)
>
> Also, the original to this post can be found (copyrighted) at
> http://www.crawfish.cc/bbq_turtle.htm.
>
> Conclusion: If you want to troll, at least try to be original about it.

A couple of observations:

1) I went to the site from the link above and you are probably correct as
far as the recipe's origin. It was sent to me by another person and the
copyright notice was not included. To the owners of this site, my apology...
and a recommendation... it looks like a great place to get some of that meat
that the local butcher shop doesn't carry. I'm placing my order today...
thanks for the referral Roy.

2) Regarding your conclusion above... when everyone else on this newsgroup
posts only "original" items... I will do my best to follow their lead. I
suppose you were the originator of the data regarding which turtles are or
are not endangered as posted above since you did not bother to cite your
sources. I had no idea you were so knowledgeable on the subject. Wow! I am
impressed.

3) Does the delduck part of your posting handle mean "Delicious Duck." I
noticed a "3" behind it too... does that mean there is a delduck1&2 ?
Wow... that was original on your part.

I can see the roadside billboards now... Several ducks gathered around...
some standing on the backs of another to increase their height...and writing
a message to the motorists driving past which reads: "Eat Turtles - They're
Delicious."

Now may we all join in for another chorus of... "Trolling along with the
tumbling tumbleweed..." Ah! Music to my ears....



John Wesley
2006-02-22 13:41:26 EST
In article <AgZKf.814783$xm3.498937@attbi_s21>, antikerry@go.com says...
>
> "oscar" <oscar@frotz.com> wrote in message
> news:43fc4ed3_5@newsfeed.slurp.net...
> >
> > "Jos.Carman" <jos_carman@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> > news:1140593132.612272.166670@f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com...
> > >> oscar wrote:
> > >> BBQ Turtle Steak
> > >>
> > >> For those of you that haven't had the opportunity to
> > >> have BBQ turtle steak, you don't know what you're
> > >> missing. Green, hawksbill, loggerhead, pond, or
> > >> stream turtle can be used.
> > >> (snip)
> > >>
> > > Carman wrote:
> > > It's a good idea to keep the turtle in a large pool of
> > > clean water and feed it lots of lettuce and celery for
> > > at least a week. If you can keep it for a month it's
> > > even better. This cleanout period allows you to look
> > > for disease, and will improve the taste of the meat
> > > immeasurably.
> > >
> > Great... thanks for the heads-up and I'll note it on my recipe card. It
> has
> > to beat eating around the tire tracks. Do you have any favorite gator
> > recipes? Perhaps something with a good Cajun twang to it? I tried doing
> > Cajun Cabbage but it just didn't satisfy my taste buds.
> >
> >
> How about a recipe for cajun fried Ivory Billed Woodpecker?
>
>
>
sounds tasty

I had one for spotted owl. I'll have to find it and post it!
Page: 1 2 3   Next  (First | Last)


2020 - UsenetArchives.com | Contact Us | Privacy | Stats | Site Search
Become our Patron