Vegetarian Discussion: Two Hypochondriacs And A "vegan" Sue McDonald's

Two Hypochondriacs And A "vegan" Sue McDonald's

S. Maizlich
2006-02-20 00:41:23 EST
Story about two people with an alleged wheat allery,
and a third person ("vegan"), suing McDonald's over the
content of their french fries, which apparently contain
wheat and dairy products:

http://edition.cnn.com/2006/LAW/02/19/fries.suits.ap/index.html

The two "victims" (huh) with so-called gluten allergies
probably should have their day in court. The "vegan"
should have her ass kicked until her nose bleeds, and
then be shot by the bailiffs. Her (figures) lawsuit is
frivolous. You don't have a right to be informed if
there is or isn't dairy in your food. If a fuckwitted
"vegan" ventures out in public, she pays her money and
she takes her chances. End of story.

2006-02-20 13:21:42 EST
I agree that the mom and daughter with allergies should sue for medical
expenses. I think the vegan has just as much a right to know what is
in her food, however sueing for that is a bit rash. If you are a vegan
stay away from fast food restaurants because you never know what they
put in your food. The BK "veggie" burger has a chicken base I just
found out. The moral of the story is.. be informed don't sue, just
don't eat there again.

S. Maizlich
2006-02-20 13:35:23 EST
r*r@gmail.com wrote:

> I agree that the mom and daughter with allergies should sue for medical
> expenses.

It's not clear they should prevail, though. They may
have a cause of action, but it's not at all clear they
should prevail.

> I think the vegan has just as much a right to know what is
> in her food,

She should ask *before* she eats.

> however sueing for that is a bit rash.

She has no case. She suffered no real damage.

> If you are a vegan
> stay away from fast food restaurants because you never know what they
> put in your food. The BK "veggie" burger has a chicken base I just
> found out. The moral of the story is.. be informed don't sue, just
> don't eat there again.

2006-02-20 17:09:38 EST
I agree she suffered no real damage and every veggie should ask before
ordering. (I do)
About the allergy thing, I was saying they should sue based on what I
know of allergies. I am an allergy sufferer as well as a vegetarian
and I ask a barrage of questions before chowing down. However things
can get cross contaminated and a reaction can occur. If they didn't
have anti-histamines or epi pens handy, and the allergy is full blown
they could die. If the case is that they went to the hospital and
nearly died, I can see the law suit having some solid ground.

Beach Runner
2006-02-21 07:41:38 EST

r*r@gmail.com wrote:

> I agree she suffered no real damage and every veggie should ask before
> ordering. (I do)
> About the allergy thing, I was saying they should sue based on what I
> know of allergies. I am an allergy sufferer as well as a vegetarian
> and I ask a barrage of questions before chowing down. However things
> can get cross contaminated and a reaction can occur. If they didn't
> have anti-histamines or epi pens handy, and the allergy is full blown
> they could die. If the case is that they went to the hospital and
> nearly died, I can see the law suit having some solid ground.

This ignores that fact that McDonalds was being purposely dishonest.
If they didn't say anything that would be one matter but being purposely
dishonest is another.

And if Vegan is a spiritual or moral code for someone, clearly McDonalds
violated that trust and should be liable.

2006-02-21 09:19:47 EST
McDonalds and every other fast food chain is essentially dishonest.
Any well informed Vegan should know that they fry their fries in the
same oil as their chicken nuggets and fish sandwiches. Every chain has
been secretive about what ingredients they use in their food, due to
heavy competition from other chains. McDonalds used to fry everything
in a mixture with a beef tallow base. As a vegetarian I don't eat
there and any well informed person wouldn't either. There are many
resources out there about the actions of fast food chains all one has
to do is read it. Vegans and Vegetarians need to make an informed
decision when they eat out. And I feel that she has no ground for a
suit if she was naive enough to think McDonalds just serves plain fries.

S. Maizlich
2006-02-21 10:43:04 EST
Beach Runner wrote:

> rita.kolesar@gmail.com wrote:
>
>> I agree she suffered no real damage and every veggie should ask before
>> ordering. (I do)
>> About the allergy thing, I was saying they should sue based on what I
>> know of allergies. I am an allergy sufferer as well as a vegetarian
>> and I ask a barrage of questions before chowing down. However things
>> can get cross contaminated and a reaction can occur. If they didn't
>> have anti-histamines or epi pens handy, and the allergy is full blown
>> they could die. If the case is that they went to the hospital and
>> nearly died, I can see the law suit having some solid ground.
>>
> This ignores that fact that McDonalds was being purposely dishonest.

How were they? Did they say their fries contain no
wheat or dairy? You don't know that. You don't know
*any* of the facts of the case.

> If they didn't say anything that would be one matter but being purposely
> dishonest is another.

Prove they were being "purposely dishonest".

> And if Vegan is a spiritual or moral code for someone, clearly McDonalds
> violated that trust and should be liable.

The "vegan" has no case. You can hold whatever
fuckwitted "spiritual code" you want; it is not
"violated" by McDonald's including dairy in its
products. You do not have a "right" to have your
so-called "spiritual code" respected.

S. Maizlich
2006-02-21 10:43:42 EST
r*r@gmail.com wrote:

> McDonalds and every other fast food chain is essentially dishonest.

They aren't.

Rita
2006-02-21 12:52:59 EST
Ok maybe not dishonest. Highly secretive is more like it. They don't
let out their ingredients unless they get sued.

Leif Erikson
2006-02-21 12:55:10 EST
Rita wrote:
> Ok maybe not dishonest. Highly secretive is more like it. They don't
> let out their ingredients unless they get sued.

I'm sorry, I don't believe that.