Vegetarian Discussion: VEGETARIAN CHEESE CUTS CHOLESTEROL

VEGETARIAN CHEESE CUTS CHOLESTEROL

Dr. Jai Maharaj
2005-12-20 18:10:27 EST
VEGETARIAN CHEESE CUTS CHOLESTEROL

[ Subject: Study Suggests Vegetarian Cheese Cuts Cholesterol
[ From: "Fidyl" <fidyl@yahoo.com>
[ Date: Sun, 18 Dec 2005

Study Suggests Vegetarian Cheese Cuts Cholesterol

By Pat Hagan
Wed December 4, 2002 01:43 PM ET

http://reuters.com/newsArticle.jhtml?type=healthNews&storyID=1851923

LONDON (Reuters Health) - Eating cheese made from vegetable oils
rather than milk fat can reduce cholesterol levels in some people, a
study from Finland shows.

After 4 weeks of eating a daily portion of vegetarian cheese,
volunteers with moderately increased cholesterol saw levels drop by
5%, according to research carried out by the University of Kuopio and
Oy Foodfiles Ltd, a private research body for the food industry. The
research was sponsored by a producer of vegetable oils.

The cheese appears to work mainly by reducing levels of low-density
lipoprotein (LDL) cholesterol, the "bad" cholesterol associated with
increased risk of cardiovascular disease.

The results, published in the European Journal of Clinical Nutrition,
suggest cheeses made from rapeseed oil could be a healthy alternative
for those with slightly raised cholesterol levels.

Research leader Dr. Essi Sarkkinen and colleagues said in a report
that rapeseed oil-based cheese might help people get their
cholesterol levels down without losing out on the nutritional value
of cheese in their diet.

"Our results have major practical implications," they write. "This
single dietary modification has a clinically significant effect on
serum, total and LDL cholesterol concentrations.

"Cheese consumption in developed nations has been steadily increasing
over the past 20 years. In the US, average annual consumption per
head is 12.7 kilogrammes a year, while in Europe it's 17 kilos.

Although cheese provides valuable calcium, it is also high in
saturated fat, which increases cholesterol levels.

Commenting on the report, Dr. Frankie Robinson of the British
Nutrition Foundation said it was feasible that cutting out cheese
rich in saturated fats could help lower cholesterol levels.

"By substituting it with polyunsaturated fats you might expect to see
that kind of difference," said Robinson, who was not involved in the
study. "But I very much doubt it contains any of the milk product
that provides the calcium in cheese--there's not much calcium in
rapeseed oil."

The Finnish researchers recruited 31 adults ages 25 to 65 with mild
to moderately raised levels of cholesterol but no history of heart
disease or other major illnesses.

All the volunteers were instructed to keep their alcohol consumption,
smoking habits and medication the same throughout the study so as not
to skew the findings. The same applied to their physical activity and
consumption of vitamins and
nutrients.

Half the group ate a daily portion of 65 grams of rapeseed-oil
cheese, the other half a portion of ordinary cheese. After 4 weeks,
the groups swapped over.

Laboratory tests on blood samples revealed that after 2 weeks of
eating vegetarian cheese, total cholesterol levels were 6.7%
lower than when they ate milk fat-based cheese. After 4 weeks, they
were 5% lower.

Meanwhile, levels of LDL cholesterol in the same period were
down 7% after 2 weeks and 6.4% after 4."Interestingly," the
researchers note, "this single change in dietary habit resulted in a
decline in total cholesterol concentration similar to reduction
achieved by general dietary advice at population level."

SOURCE: European Journal of Clinical Nutrition
2002;56:1094-1101.

Jai Maharaj
http://www.mantra.com/jai
Om Shanti

Hindu Holocaust Museum
http://www.mantra.com/holocaust

Hindu life, principles, spirituality and philosophy
http://www.hindu.org
http://www.hindunet.org

The truth about Islam and Muslims
http://www.flex.com/~jai/satyamevajayate

The terrorist mission of Jesus stated in the Christian bible:

"Think not that I am come to send peace on earth: I came not so send
peace, but a sword.
"For I am come to set a man at variance against his father, and the
daughter against her mother, and the daughter in law against her mother in
law.
"And a man's foes shall be they of his own household.
- Matthew 10:34-36.

fair use of copyrighted works.

copyright owner.

Since newsgroup posts are being removed
by forgery by one or more net terrorists,
this post may be reposted several times.

Leif Erikson
2005-12-20 20:09:06 EST
u*t@mantra.comusenet wrote:
> VEGETARIAN CHEESE CUTS CHOLESTEROL

Who cuts the cheese?

Matti Narkia
2005-12-20 20:24:08 EST
Tue, 20 Dec 2005 23:10:27 GMT in article <20051220DEiWE0238OmRke@MwuO>
u*t@mantra.com usenet@mantra.com (Dr. Jai Maharaj) wrote:

>"Cheese consumption in developed nations has been steadily increasing
>over the past 20 years. In the US, average annual consumption per
>head is 12.7 kilogrammes a year, while in Europe it's 17 kilos.
>
>Although cheese provides valuable calcium, it is also high in
>saturated fat, which increases cholesterol levels.

Moderate consumption of cheese is healthy. Cheese is “a 9000 year old
invention not linked to coronary disease”, see

Bruno Simini.
Serge Renaud: from French paradox to Cretan miracle
Lancet, Volume 355, Number 9197, 01 January 2000
<http://www.thelancet.com/journals/lancet/article/PIIS0140673605719905/fulltext>

Cheese is a fermented product, which contains useful lactid acid bacteria,
which may have beneficial effect on serum lipid profile and blood pressure.

And cheese made of milk from grass-fed cows, goats or sheep has beneficial
omega-3 fatty acid alpha-linolic acid and perhaps elevated level of CLA.

Here some interesting cheese references:

Hauswirth CB, Scheeder MR, Beer JH.
High {omega}-3 Fatty Acid Content in Alpine Cheese. The Basis for an
Alpine Paradox.
Circulation. 2003 Dec 15 [Epub ahead of print]
PMID: 14676141 [PubMed - as supplied by publisher]
<http://circ.ahajournals.org/cgi/content/full/109/1/103>
<http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?cmd=Retrieve&db=PubMed&list_uids=14676141&dopt=Abstract>

Abstract:

"BACKGROUND: alpha-Linolenic acid (ALA) may protect from
cardiovascular disease. Because fresh alpine grass contains
high amounts of ALA, we hypothesized that the levels of
omega-3 fatty acids would concentrate to nutritional
relevance in the cheese of milk from cows with alpine grass
feeding compared with cheese from silage and concentrate
feeding; the newly available cheese produced from cows fed
with linseed supplementation should contain even higher ALA
concentrations. METHODS AND RESULTS: Forty different
cheeses were analyzed by gas chromatography for their fatty
acid profile: (1) 12 from well-defined alpine regions
around Gstaad, Switzerland; (2) 7 commercially available
English cheddar cheeses; (3) 6 cheeses from cows fed with
linseed supplementation; (4) 7 industrial-type Emmentals;
and (5) 8 alpine cheeses with partial silage feeding. The
alpine cheese contained 4 times more linolenic acid
(C18:3omega-3) compared with cheddar, more total omega-3
fatty acids, and showed a significantly lower n-6:omega-3
ratio. Conjugated linoleic acid (C18:2 c9/t11) was 3-fold
higher, whereas the amount of palmitic acid was 20% lower.
The Emmental reached 40% of the ALA content compared with
alpine cheese, and surprisingly, cheese from linseed-
supplemented cows contained only 49% of that of the alpine
cheese (P<0.001 for each trait in the 5 cheese groups).
CONCLUSIONS: Cheese made of milk from cows grazed on alpine
pastures had a more favorable fatty acid profile than all
other cheese types. Alpine cheese may be a relevant source
of ALA and other cardioprotective fatty acids."

Nestel PJ, Chronopulos A, Cehun M.
Dairy fat in cheese raises LDL cholesterol less than that in butter in
mildly hypercholesterolaemic subjects.
Eur J Clin Nutr. 2005 Sep;59(9):1059-63.
PMID: 16015270 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]
<http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?cmd=Retrieve&db=pubmed&dopt=Abstract&list_uids=16015270>

"... CONCLUSION: A total of 40 g dairy fat eaten daily for 4 weeks as
butter, but not as cheese, raised total and LDL cholesterol
significantly compared with a diet containing significantly less
saturated fat. Dietary advice regarding cheese consumption may require
modification."

Biong AS, Muller H, Seljeflot I, Veierod MB, Pedersen JI.
A comparison of the effects of cheese and butter on serum lipids,
haemostatic variables and homocysteine.
Br J Nutr. 2004 Nov;92(5):791-7.
PMID: 15533268 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]
<http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?cmd=Retrieve&db=pubmed&dopt=Abstract&list_uids=15533268>

"... Total cholesterol was significantly lower after the CH diet
than after the BC diet (-0.27 mmol/l; P=0.03), while the
difference in LDL-cholesterol was found to be below
significance level (-0.22 mmol/l; P=0.06). There were no
significant differences in HDL-cholesterol, triacylglycerols,
apo A-I, apo B or lipoprotein (a), haemostatic variables and
homocysteine between the diets. The results indicate that, at
equal fat content, cheese may be less cholesterol increasing
than butter. ..."

Tholstrup T, Hoy CE, Andersen LN, Christensen RD, Sandstrom B.
Does fat in milk, butter and cheese affect blood lipids and
cholesterol differently?
J Am Coll Nutr. 2004 Apr;23(2):169-76.
PMID: 15047684 [PubMed - in process]
<http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?cmd=Retrieve&db=pubmed&dopt=Abstract&list_uids=15047684>

"... RESULTS: Fasting LDL cholesterol concentration was
significantly higher after butter than cheese diet (p = 0.037),
with a borderline significant difference in total cholesterol
(p = 0.054) after the experimental periods of three weeks.
Postprandial glucose showed a higher response after cheese diet
than after milk diet (p = 0.010, diet x time interaction).
CONCLUSIONS: A different effect of fat in milk and butter could
not be confirmed in this study. The moderately lower LDL
cholesterol after cheese diet compared to butter diet should be
investigated further..."

Colquhoun DM, Somerset S, Irish K, Leontjew LM.
Cheese added to a low fat diet does not affect serum lipids.
Asia Pac J Clin Nutr. 2003;12 Suppl:S65.
PMID: 15023695 [PubMed - in process]
<http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?cmd=Retrieve&db=pubmed&dopt=Abstract&list_uids=15023695>

" .. Conclusions - On the background of a LF diet, including cheese is
not associated with adverse effects on serum lipids. Fermentation
presumably is responsible for these favorable effects."

Segall JJ.
Why is cheese safe for the coronary arteries?
Int J Cardiol. 1992 May;35(2):281-3. No abstract available.
PMID: 1572753 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]
<http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?cmd=Retrieve&db=pubmed&dopt=Abstract&list_uids=1572753>

--
Matti Narkia

Harmony
2005-12-21 13:18:49 EST
the best and simplest way to cut cholostrol is the ayurvedic style.
if genuinely interested i will describe the method. you will see
improvement.

<*t@mantra.com usenet@mantra.com (Dr. Jai Maharaj)> wrote in message
> [...]
current
> e-mail and postal addresses, and live-voice telephone number.
> o Posted for information and discussion. Views expressed by others
are
> not necessarily those of the poster who may or may not have read the
article.

> FAIR USE NOTICE: This article may contain copyrighted material the use of
> which may or may not have been specifically authorized by the copyright
> owner. This material is being made available in efforts to advance the
> understanding of environmental, political, human rights, economic,
> democratic, scientific, social, and cultural, etc., issues. It is believed
> that this constitutes a 'fair use' of any such copyrighted material as
> provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law. In accordance with
Title
> 17 U.S.C. Section 107, the material on this site is distributed without
> profit to those who have expressed a prior interest in receiving the
included
> information for research, comment, discussion and educational purposes by
> subscribing to USENET newsgroups or visiting web sites. For more
information
> go to: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml
> If you wish to use copyrighted material from this article for purposes of
> your own that go beyond 'fair use', you must obtain permission from the
> copyright owner.
>
> Since newsgroup posts are being removed
> by forgery by one or more net terrorists,
> this post may be reposted several times.

Dr. Jai Maharaj
2005-12-21 14:14:57 EST
Long live Ayurved!

Jai Maharaj
http://www.mantra.com/jai
Om Shanti

In article <sTgqf.3701$Ou3.211@dukeread09>,
"harmony" <aka@hotmail.com> posted:
> [...]
> > provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law. In accordance with
> Title
> > 17 U.S.C. Section 107, the material on this site is distributed without
> > profit to those who have expressed a prior interest in receiving the
> included
> > information for research, comment, discussion and educational purposes by
> > subscribing to USENET newsgroups or visiting web sites. For more
> information
> > go to: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml
> > If you wish to use copyrighted material from this article for purposes of
> > your own that go beyond 'fair use', you must obtain permission from the
> > copyright owner.
> >
> > Since newsgroup posts are being removed
> > by forgery by one or more net terrorists,
> > this post may be reposted several times.

T*@hotmail.com
2005-12-21 15:29:55 EST
1) cholesterol means squat,
2) if it is vegetarian, it most definitively ain't cheese
and
3) If it is vegetarian, it ain't a balanced diet and it ain't healthy

TC

u*t@mantra.comusenet wrote:
> [...]
> that this constitutes a 'fair use' of any such copyrighted material as
> provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law. In accordance with Title
> 17 U.S.C. Section 107, the material on this site is distributed without
> profit to those who have expressed a prior interest in receiving the included
> information for research, comment, discussion and educational purposes by
> subscribing to USENET newsgroups or visiting web sites. For more information
> go to: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml
> If you wish to use copyrighted material from this article for purposes of
> your own that go beyond 'fair use', you must obtain permission from the
> copyright owner.
>
> Since newsgroup posts are being removed
> by forgery by one or more net terrorists,
> this post may be reposted several times.

Dave
2005-12-21 18:28:19 EST
All your statements are false. Congrats!