Vegetarian Discussion: YOU DO WHAT YOU EAT

YOU DO WHAT YOU EAT

Dr. Jai Maharaj
2005-12-06 02:12:59 EST
YOU DO WHAT YOU EAT

Forwarded message from Fidyl

[ Subject: You Do What You Eat
[ From: Fidyl
[ Date: Mon, 5 Dec 2005

You Do What You Eat

By Marco Visscher, Ode Magazine
September 8, 2005

http://www.vegsource.com/articles2/visscher_eating.htm

At first glance, there seems nothing special about the students at
this high school in Appleton, Wisconsin. They appear calm, interact
comfortably with one another, and are focused on their schoolwork. No
apparent problems.

And yet a couple of years ago, there was a police officer patrolling
the halls at this school for developmentally challenged students.
Many of the students were troublemakers, there was a lot of fighting
with teachers and some of the kids carried weapons.

School counsellor Greg Bretthauer remembers when he first came to
Appleton Central Alternative High School back in 1997, for a job
interview: "I found the students to be rude, obnoxious and
ill-mannered." He had no desire to work with them, and turned down
the job.

Several years later, Bretthauer took the job after seeing that the
atmosphere at the school had changed profoundly. Today he describes
the students as "calm and well-behaved" in a new video documentary,
Impact of Fresh, Healthy Foods on Learning and Behavior. Fights and
offensive behavior are extremely rare and the police officer is no
longer needed. What happened?

A glance through the halls at Appleton Central Alternative provides
the answer. The vending machines have been replaced by water coolers.
The lunchroom took hamburgers and french fries off the menu, making
room for fresh vegetables and fruits, whole-grain bread and a salad
bar.

Is that all? Yes, that's all. Principal LuAnn Coenen is still
surprised when she speaks of the "astonishing" changes at the school
since she decided to drastically alter the offering of food and
drinks eight years ago: "I don't have the vandalism. I don't have the
litter. I don't have the need for high security."

The Problems with 'Convenience Foods'

It is tempting to dismiss what happened at Appleton Central
Alternative as the wild fantasies of health-food and
vitamin-supplement fanatics. After all, scientists have never
empirically investigated the changes at the school. Healthy nutrition
-- especially the effects of vitamin and mineral supplements --
appears to divide people into opposing camps of fervent believers,
who trust the anecdotes about diets changing people's lives, and
equally fervent skeptics, who dismiss these stories as hogwash.

And yet it is not such a radical idea that food can affect the way
our brains work -- and thus our behavior. The brain is an active
machine: It only accounts for two percent of our body weight, but
uses a whopping 20 percent of our energy. In order to generate that
energy, we need a broad range of nutrients -- vitamins, minerals and
unsaturated fatty acids -- that we get from nutritious meals. The
question is: What are the consequences when we increasingly shovel
junk food into our bodies?

It is irrefutably true that our eating habits have dramatically
changed over the past 30-odd years. "Convenience food" has become a
catch-all term that covers all sorts of frozen, microwaved and
out-and-out junk foods. The ingredients of the average meal have been
transported thousands of kilometres before landing on our plates;
it's not hard to believe that some of the vitamins were lost in the
process.

We already know obesity can result if we eat too much junk food, but
there may be greater consequences of unhealthy diets than extra
weight around our middles. Do examples like the high school in
Wisconsin point to a direct connection between nutrition and
behavior? Is it simply coincidence that the increase in aggression,
crime and social incivility in Western society has paralleled a
spectacular change in our diet? Could there be a link between the
two?

Stephen Schoenthaler, a criminal-justice professor at California
State University in Stanislaus, has been researching the relationship
between food and behavior for more than 20 years.He has proven that
reducing the sugar and fat intake in our daily diets leads to higher
IQs and better grades in school.

When Schoenthaler supervised a change in meals served at 803 schools
in low-income neighborhoods in New York City, the number of students
passing final exams rose from 11 percent below the national average
to five percent above.

He is best known for his work in youth detention centers. One of his
studies showed that the number of violations of house rules fell by
37 percent when vending machines were removed and canned food in the
cafeteria was replaced by fresh alternatives. He summarizes his
findings this way: "Having a bad diet right now is a better predictor
of future violence than past violent behavior."

But Schoenthaler's work is under fire. A committee from his own
university has recommended suspending him for his allegedly improper
research methods: Schoenthaler didn't always use a placebo as a
control measure and his group of test subjects wasn't always chosen
at random. This criticism doesn't refute Schoenthaler's research that
nutrition has an effect on behavior. It means most of his studies
simply lack the scientific soundness needed to earn the respect of
his colleagues.

The Prison Test

Recent research that -- even Schoenthaler's critics admit -- was
conducted flawlessly, showed similar conclusions. Bernard Gesch,
physiologist at the University of Oxford, decided to test the
anecdotal clues in the most thorough study so far in this field. In a
prison for men between the ages of 18 and 21 in England's
Buckinghamshire, 231 volunteers were divided into two groups: One was
given nutrition supplements along with their meals that contained our
approximate daily needs for vitamins, minerals and fatty acids; the
other group got placebos. Neither the prisoners, nor the guards, nor
the researchers at the prison knew who took fake supplements and who
got the real thing.

The researchers then tallied the number of times the participants
violated prison rules, and compared it to the same data that had been
collected in the months leading up to the nutrition study. The
prisoners given supplements for four consecutive months committed an
average of 26 percent fewer violations compared to the preceding
period. Those given placebos showed no marked change in behaviour.
For serious breaches of conduct, particularly the use of violence,
the number of violations decreased 37 percent for the men given
nutrition supplements, while the placebo group showed no change.

The experiment was carefully constructed, ruling out the possibility
that ethnic, social, psychological or other variables could affect
the outcome. Prisons are popular places to conduct studies for good
reason: There is a strict routine; participants sleep and exercise
the same number of hours every day and eat the same things at the
same time.

Says John Copas, professor in statistical methodology at the
University of Warwick: "This is the only trial I have ever been
involved with from the social sciences which is designed properly and
with a good analysis." As a randomized, double-blind,
placebo-controlled study, Gesch emerges with convincing scientific
proof that poor nutrition plays a role in triggering aggressive
behavior.

Sugar's Not the Only Problem

Indeed, the study proves what every parent already knows. Serve soda
and candy at a children's birthday party and you'll get loud,
hyperactive behavior followed by tears and tantrums. It works like
this: Blood-sugar levels jump suddenly after you eat sugar, which
initially gives you a burst of fresh energy. But then your blood
sugar falls, and you become lethargic and sleepy. In an attempt to
prevent blood-sugar levels from falling too low, your body produces
adrenalin, which makes you irritable and explosive.

But sugar can't be the only problem. After all, high blood-sugar
levels mainly have a short-term effect on behavior, while the
research of Schoenthaler and Gesch indicates changes over a longer
period. They suggest it is much more important that you get the right
amount of vitamins, minerals and unsaturated fatty acids because
these substances directly influence the brain, and therefore
behavior.

If these findings prove true -- and they do look convincing -- then
we should be sounding an alarm about good nutrition. What are the
long-term implications of the fact that the quality of our farmland
has sharply declined in recent decades? The use of artificial
fertilizer for years on end has diminished the levels of important
minerals like magnesium, chromium and selenium, therefore present in
much lower concentrations in our food.

The eating habits of children and young people also should be a cause
for serious concern. Their diets now are rich in sugar, fats and
carbohydrates, and poor in vegetables and fruit. Add to this an
increasing lack of exercise among kids, and the problem becomes even
worse. The World Health Organization (WHO) talks of an epidemic of
overweight among children. Obesity, the official name for serious
weight problems, is said to absorb up to six percent of the total
health budget -- a cautious estimate as all kinds of related diseases
cannot be included in the exact calculation. Think of what this
situation will look like when the current generation of overweight
kids hits middle age.

The link between food and health is better understood by most people
than the relationship between food and behavior, so health has become
the driving force behind many public campaigns to combat overweight.
A discussion has arisen in a number of countries about introducing a
tax on junk food, the proceeds of which would be spent on promoting
healthy eating. In Britain, Prime Minister Tony Blair announced in
May he planned to spend an extra 280 million pounds (the equivalent
of 420 million euros or $500 million U.S.) on improving school
lunches after the famous television chef Jamie Oliver began speaking
out on the issue.

Yet with crime a major political issue almost everywhere, it's
surprising more leaders have not embraced the idea of healthy eating
as a recipe for safe streets and schools. After Gesch published his
findings in 2002 in The British Journal of Psychiatry, the study was
picked up by European and American media. The newspaper headlines
were clear: "Healthy eating can cut crime"; "Eat right or become a
criminal;" "Youth crime linked to consumption of junk food;"
"Fighting crime one bite at a time." Then the media went deafeningly
silent.

Perhaps that's because the relationship between nutrition and
violence continues to be controversial in established professional
circles. During their educations, doctors and psychologists are given
scant training in nutrition, criminologists provided little awareness
of biochemistry, and nutritionists offered no hands-on experience
with lawbreakers or the mentally ill. As a result, the link between
food and behaviour winds up in no-man's-land. Even researchers
interested in the subject are discouraged -- not least of all because
you can't get a patent on natural nutrients like vitamins and
minerals. Far more effort goes into pharmaceutical, rather than
dietary, solutions.

The Netherlands currently is the only country where Gesch's research
is being explored. Plans to test the findings about nutrition
supplements and behaviour further are being set up in 14 prisons,
with nearly 500 subjects. Ap Zaalberg, leading the project for the
Dutch Ministry of Justice, remembers how he and his colleagues
reacted when they first heard of Gesch's study. "Disbelief," he
states resolutely. "This was surely not true. But when I looked into
the issue more closely, I landed in a world of hard science."

Zaalberg knows diet is not the only factor that determines whether
someone exhibits aggressive behavior. "Aggression is not only
determined by nutrition," he states. "Background and drug use, for
example, also play a role. Yet I increasingly see the introduction of
vitamins and minerals as a very rational approach."

"Most criminal-justice systems assume that criminal behaviour is
entirely a matter of free will," Gesch says. "But how exactly can you
exercise free will without involving your brain? How exactly can the
brain function without an adequate nutrient supply? Nutrition in fact
could be a major player and, for sure, we have seriously
underestimated its importance. I think nutrition may actually be one
of the most straightforward factors to change antisocial behaviour.
And we know that it's not only highly effective, it's also cheap and
humane."

Cheap it is. Natural Justice, the British charity institution chaired
by Gesch, which is researching "the origins of anti-social and
criminal behaviour," estimates it would cost 3.5 million pounds (5.3
million euros or 6.4 million U.S. dollars) to provide supplements to
all the prisoners in Great Britain. That is only a fraction of the
current prison budget of 2 billion pounds (3 billion euros or 3.6
billion U.S. dollar).

Finding Safety Through the Stomach

It seems the link between nutrition and antisocial behaviour shows
great promise as both political issue and human-interest story. How
much longer will politicians concentrate on police and stricter
surveillance as the answer to crime? When will they realize healthy
food can help create a healthier society? After all, people would not
only be more productive, but the cost of health care and of the
criminal-justice system would decline. As is the case for a man's
love, the way to safety may be through the stomach.

As Bernard Gesch notes, "Few scientists are not convinced that diet
is fundamental for the development of the human brain. Is it
plausible that in the last 50 years we could have made spectacular
changes to the human diet without any implications for the brain? I
don't think so. Now, evidence is mounting that putting poor fuel into
the brain significantly affects social behaviour. We need to know
more about the composition of the right nutrients. It could be the
recipe for peace."

Marco Visscher is a senior editor at Ode Magazine.

End of forwarded message from Fidyl

Jai Maharaj
http://www.mantra.com/jai
Om Shanti

Hindu Holocaust Museum
http://www.mantra.com/holocaust

Hindu life, principles, spirituality and philosophy
http://www.hindu.org
http://www.hindunet.org

The truth about Islam and Muslims
http://www.flex.com/~jai/satyamevajayate

The terrorist mission of Jesus stated in the Christian bible:

"Think not that I am come to send peace on earth: I came not so send
peace, but a sword.
"For I am come to set a man at variance against his father, and the
daughter against her mother, and the daughter in law against her mother in
law.
"And a man's foes shall be they of his own household.
- Matthew 10:34-36.

fair use of copyrighted works.

copyright owner.

Since newsgroup posts are being removed
by forgery by one or more net terrorists,
this post may be reposted several times.

Dr. Homilete
2005-12-06 05:46:53 EST
Johnny Judas Jay "the jackass jyotishithead" Maharaj wrote:

> YOU DO WHAT YOU EAT

No, no, Johnny boya, you have that bass ackwards! YOU EAT WHAT YOU DO!

T*@hotmail.com
2005-12-06 10:24:29 EST
It is simple.

Feed your kids low nutrition refined carbs and what few vitamins they
get will be depleted by the carbs and they will have anxiety and mood
problems. That is a common problem caused by a depletion of mainly the
B vitamin complex and also lack of vitamin C.

Remove the low nutrition refined carbs and replace them with high
nutrition real foods and the mood problems will essentially disappear.

Note that a vegetarian diet that is too restrictive will lead to a
depletion of many of the same b vitamins and to a similar problem.

TC

Dr. Jai Maharaj wrote:
> [...]
> that this constitutes a 'fair use' of any such copyrighted material as
> provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law. In accordance with Title
> 17 U.S.C. Section 107, the material on this site is distributed without
> profit to those who have expressed a prior interest in receiving the included
> information for research, comment, discussion and educational purposes by
> subscribing to USENET newsgroups or visiting web sites. For more information
> go to: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml
> If you wish to use copyrighted material from this article for purposes of
> your own that go beyond 'fair use', you must obtain permission from the
> copyright owner.
>
> Since newsgroup posts are being removed
> by forgery by one or more net terrorists,
> this post may be reposted several times.

2005-12-06 14:50:17 EST
Visit:

http://www.pcrm.org

Jai Maharaj
http://www.mantra.com/jai
Om Shanti

Dave
2005-12-06 21:24:51 EST

Dr. Jai Maharaj wrote:
> Visit:
>
> http://www.pcrm.org

Why don't you respond to the valid questions that have been raised
about the credibility of pcrm before referring people to it?

> Jai Maharaj
> http://www.mantra.com/jai
> Om Shanti

S. Maizlich
2005-12-07 00:33:55 EST
Dave wrote:

> Dr. Jai Maharaj wrote:
>
>>Visit:
>>
>>http://www.pcrm.org
>

> Why don't you respond to the valid questions that have been raised
> about the credibility of pcrm before referring people to it?

Because Jay Shitbag Stevens - not a doctor, not a
Hindoo - isn't interested in credibility.

Dr. Jai Maharaj
2005-12-07 01:34:00 EST
In article <1133922291.164941.279860@o13g2000cwo.googlegroups.com>,
"Dave" <prplbn@hotmail.com> posted:

> Dr. Jai Maharaj wrote:
>
> > Visit:
> >
> > http://www.pcrm.org
>
> Why don't you respond to the valid questions that have been raised
> about the credibility of pcrm before referring people to it?

Ask PCRM the questions about the PCRM.

Jai Maharaj
http://www.mantra.com/jai
Om Shanti

S. Maizlich
2005-12-07 01:42:00 EST
not-a-doctor and phony Hindoo Jay Stevens lied:
> In article <1133922291.164941.279860@o13g2000cwo.googlegroups.com>,
> "Dave" <prplbn@hotmail.com> posted:
>
>>Dr. Jai Maharaj wrote:
>>

>>>Visit:
>>>
>>>http://www.pcrm.org
>>
>>Why don't you respond to the valid questions that have been raised
>>about the credibility of pcrm before referring people to it?
>

> Ask PCRM the questions about the PCRM.

He's asking YOU why you cite them as authorities, Jay,
given that their credibility (and objectivity) has been
questioned.

P*@hotmail.com
2005-12-08 22:31:36 EST

Dr. Jai Maharaj wrote:
> In article <1133922291.164941.279860@o13g2000cwo.googlegroups.com>,
> "Dave" <prplbn@hotmail.com> posted:
> >
> > Dr. Jai Maharaj wrote:
> >
> > > Visit:
> > >
> > > http://www.pcrm.org
> >
> > Why don't you respond to the valid questions that have been raised
> > about the credibility of pcrm before referring people to it?
>
> Ask PCRM the questions about the PCRM.

What would a liar say if you asked him whether he was a liar?

> Jai Maharaj
> http://www.mantra.com/jai
> Om Shanti

Dr. Jai Maharaj
2005-12-08 23:17:29 EST
In article <1134099096.221679.3030@g43g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>,
p*n@hotmail.com posted:

> What would a liar say if you asked him whether he was a liar?

I wouldn't know since I am not a liar. Are you a liar?

Jai Maharaj
http://www.mantra.com/jai
Om Shanti