Vegetarian Discussion: American Doctors Say Meat Not Necessary, Actually Harmful

American Doctors Say Meat Not Necessary, Actually Harmful

Dr. Jai Maharaj
2005-11-18 16:38:04 EST
US physicians say meat not necessary, actually harmful

Recent Nutritional Research
Affirms Superiority of the
Vegetarian Diet for Humans

Hinduism Today, 1991
www.hinduismtoday.com

Thirty-five years ago the U.S. Department of Agriculture
said we should daily eat from four food groups: 1. meat,
fish and poultry; 2. grains; 3. dairy products; and 4.
fruits and vegetables.

On April 9, 1991 the Physicians Committee for Responsible
Medicine, www.pcrm.org , a prestigious non-profit
organization active in health and research policy and
based in Washington, D.C., said basing our diet on those
groups not only will not ensure adequate nutrition,
consumption of meat, fish, poultry and dairy products
actually causes disease.

Instead PCRM recommends a "New Four Food Groups." They
are: 1. fruits; 2. grains; 3. vegetables; and 4. legumes.

This is a very significant development for vegetarians
whose traditional vegetarian diet -- which easily
fulfills the requirements of the "new" groups --has been
under attack in many countries by physicians sharing the
common ignorance of modern medicine toward diet.

For example, numerous physicians have insisted that
mothers feed their children meat -- "A real mistake,"
says Dr. Neal Barnard, leading to all sorts of diseases
such as colic, juvenile diabetes, diarrhea and later
problems such as cancer of the colon. Dr. Devananda
Tandavan points out that the average doctor in America
has had almost no training whatsoever in nutrition by the
time he has finished medical school and may remain
ignorant for the rest of his professional life on the
importance of diet for good health.

Though others have made similar recommendations to revise
the American diet, none have done so with quite the
authority of the 4,000-plus member PCRM. The committee's
president, Dr. Neal D. Barnard -- himself a vegetarian --
is a director of Behavioral Studies at the Institute for
Disease Prevention at George Washington University.

PCRM members instrumental in formulating the new food
groups include Dr. T. Colin Campbell, Professor of
Nutritional Biochemistry at Cornell University and
Director of the massive China Health Project.
Collaborator Dr. Oliver Alabaster is Director of the
Institute for Disease Prevention at the George Washington
University.

How did we end up with such a poor choice of food groups
35 years ago? Inadequate nutritional research for one
thing. But more insidiously, since food guides were
first established in 1916, there has been a tendency to
give animal products a "preferred" designation. "This
element of food guides has persisted until the present
time, due in part to the intensive lobbying efforts of
the food industry, and despite evidence of the adverse
health effects of such foods, " says the PCRM report.

The situation is similar to the tobacco industry's
continual denial of the harmful effects of smoking. In
response to the four new food groups, a former US
Secretary of Agriculture, John R. Block (president of the
National American Wholesale Grocers' Association and a
pig farmer in Illinois) denounced the committee's
recommendations as the "height of irresponsibility."

Other reactions focused more on the difficulty of
altering the food habits of the steak-and hamburger-
eating American public than on the scientific validity of
the new diet.

PCRM attacks the old, traditional four food groups on
three major fronts. First, they say, "The old food
groups fail to assure nutritional adequacy." The four
food groups were established according to the
understanding of nutritional needs in 1953. Since that
time, the required daily allowances (RDA's) for protein,
vitamins, minerals, etc. have been extensively revised
and expanded. A 1978 study showed that only 9 of the 17
RDA's were met by the typical diet based on the old
groups.

The second problem is that "The old four food groups fail
to adequately address the current dietary problems of our
population." Specifically, the the 1977-78 Nationwide
Food Consumption Survey indicates that Americans who eat
diets based on the four food groups consume an excessive
amount of fat."

Studies show that dietary fat and associated consumption
of excess protein is related to breast cancer, heart
disease, obesity, kidney disease and osteoporosis, to
name a few.

Third, states the PCRM, "The old four food groups serve
to misinform consumers about some aspects of nutrition.
Two of the four food groups -- meats and dairy products -
- are clearly not necessary for health and, in fact, may
be detrimental to health. . . . Populations with the
lowest rates of heart disease, colon and breast cancer,
and obesity consume very little meat or no meat at all."

The PCRM concludes that "The average adult can meet
nutrient needs by consuming five servings of grains,
three servings of legumes, three servings of vegetables
and three servings of fruits each day."

The New Four Food Groups

Whole Grains

This group includes rice, bread, pasta, hot or cold
cereal, corn, millet, barley, bulgur, buckwheat groats
and tortillas. Build each of your meals around a hearty
grain dish. Grains are rich in fiber and other complex
carbohydrates, as well as proteins, B vitamins and zinc.

Vegetables

Vegetables are packed with nutrients; they provide
vitamin C, beta-carotene, riboflavin and other vitamins,
iron, calcium and fiber. Dark green, leafy vegetables
such as broccoli, collards, kale, mustard and turnip
greens, chicory or bok choy are especially good sources
of of these important nutrients. Dark yellow and orange
vegetables such as carrots, winter squash, sweet potatoes
and pumpkin provide extra beta-carotene. Include generous
portions or a variety of vegetables in your diet.

Legumes

Legumes, which is another name for beans, peas and
lentils, are all good sources of fiber, protein, iron,
calcium, zinc and B vitamins. This group also includes
the daals in Indian cuisine, pulses, chickpeas, baked and
refried beans, soy milk, tofu, and texturized vegetable
protein.

Fruit

Fruits are rich in fiber, vitamin C and beta-carotene. Be
sure to include at least one serving each day of fruits
that are high in vitamin C -- citrus fruits, melons and
strawberries are all good choices. Choose whole fruit
over fruit juices, which don't contain as much healthy
fiber.

(View the chart below with a fixed-width font)

| Number of |
Food Group | Servings | Typical Items and Serving Size
- - - - - - | - - - - - | - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Whole Grains | 5 or more | 1/2 cup hot cereal + 1 ounce
| | dry cereal + 1 slice of bread
- - - - - - | - - - - - | - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Vegetables | 3 or more | 1 cup raw + 1/2 cup cooked
- - - - - - | - - - - - | - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Legumes | 2 to 3 | 1/2 cup cooked beans
| | + 4 ounces tofu or tempeh
- - - - - - | - - - - - | - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Fruits | 3 or more | 1 medium piece of fruit
| | + 1/2 cup cooked fruit

Be sure to include a good source of vitamin B-12, such as
fortified cereals and vitamin supplements.

Hinduism Today, 1991
www.hinduismtoday.com

Visit:
http://www.pcrm.org

Jai Maharaj
http://www.mantra.com/jai
Om Shanti

Hindu Holocaust Museum
http://www.mantra.com/holocaust

Hindu life, principles, spirituality and philosophy
http://www.hindu.org
http://www.hindunet.org

The truth about Islam and Muslims
http://www.flex.com/~jai/satyamevajayate

The terrorist mission of Jesus stated in the Christian bible:

"Think not that I am come to send peace on earth: I came not so send
peace, but a sword.
"For I am come to set a man at variance against his father, and the
daughter against her mother, and the daughter in law against her mother in
law.
"And a man's foes shall be they of his own household.
- Matthew 10:34-36.

fair use of copyrighted works.

copyright owner.

Since newsgroup posts are being removed
by forgery by one or more net terrorists,
this post may be reposted several times.

T*@hotmail.com
2005-11-18 17:09:01 EST
Those aren't doctors, they are animal rights activists.

TC

Dr. Jai Maharaj wrote:
> [...]
> that this constitutes a 'fair use' of any such copyrighted material as
> provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law. In accordance with Title
> 17 U.S.C. Section 107, the material on this site is distributed without
> profit to those who have expressed a prior interest in receiving the included
> information for research, comment, discussion and educational purposes by
> subscribing to USENET newsgroups or visiting web sites. For more information
> go to: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml
> If you wish to use copyrighted material from this article for purposes of
> your own that go beyond 'fair use', you must obtain permission from the
> copyright owner.
>
> Since newsgroup posts are being removed
> by forgery by one or more net terrorists,
> this post may be reposted several times.

Harmony
2005-11-18 18:10:06 EST
common sense travels late to physicians. i guess it must be winter time
now - no golf. better late than never.

"Dr. Jai Maharaj" <usenet@mantra.com> wrote in message
> [...]
> provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law. In accordance with
Title
> 17 U.S.C. Section 107, the material on this site is distributed without
> profit to those who have expressed a prior interest in receiving the
included
> information for research, comment, discussion and educational purposes by
> subscribing to USENET newsgroups or visiting web sites. For more
information
> go to: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml
> If you wish to use copyrighted material from this article for purposes of
> your own that go beyond 'fair use', you must obtain permission from the
> copyright owner.
>
> Since newsgroup posts are being removed
> by forgery by one or more net terrorists,
> this post may be reposted several times.

2005-11-18 18:13:54 EST
Most modern physicians don't receive even one semester's
worth of nutrition education in medical school.

Visit:
http://www.pcrm.org

Jai Maharaj
http://www.mantra.com/jai
Om Shanti

In article <u3tff.34320$2k5.11919@dukeread09>,
"harmony" <aka@hotmail.com> posted:
> [...]
> > provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law. In accordance with
> Title
> > 17 U.S.C. Section 107, the material on this site is distributed without
> > profit to those who have expressed a prior interest in receiving the
> included
> > information for research, comment, discussion and educational purposes by
> > subscribing to USENET newsgroups or visiting web sites. For more
> information
> > go to: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml
> > If you wish to use copyrighted material from this article for purposes of
> > your own that go beyond 'fair use', you must obtain permission from the
> > copyright owner.
> >
> > Since newsgroup posts are being removed
> > by forgery by one or more net terrorists,
> > this post may be reposted several times.

2005-11-23 13:52:42 EST

Rich wrote:
> "harmony" <aka@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > physicians are procedure oriented people, like the auto mechanics who
> > can't
> > do a damn thing without running a whole bunch of computer tests. gone are
> > the days when there was such a thing as a "clinical judgement". in coming
> > days doctors will be replaced with robots.
>
> Clinical judgement gets better when supported by laboratory and imaging
> technology.
>

> > if doctor's training does not include actually grocery shopping, cooking
> > meals and feeding a group of 50 people with different dietary needs
> > everyday
> > for one whole year, the training means nothing. good nutrition is no
> > accident, it's the culmination of thousands years of research.
>
> A doctor's job is quite different from that of a nutritionist or even a
> cook. A doctor needs knowledge of different aspects of nutrition than the
> person who is feeding a group of people on different diets. In general,
> nutrition is not the arcane subject that it is made out to be. Most people
> can maintain a high level of nutrition with no more nutrition knowledge than
> what is provided by the U. S. Department of Agriculture Food Guide Pyramid.
> Even without that, eating a wide selection of foods with special attention
> to fruits and vegetables will provide all the nutrients a body needs.
> Doctors need to know how to advise people with diabetes, PKU, anemias, and
> other diet related diseases. Often that advice includes, appropriately, a
> consultation with a registered dietitian.
> --
>

> --Rich

You appear to have no more insight into what good nutrition is than a
typical medical doctor, which is not much at all.

TC

Rich
2005-11-23 14:40:35 EST

<*r@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> Rich wrote:
>> "harmony" <aka@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> > physicians are procedure oriented people, like the auto mechanics who
>> > can't
>> > do a damn thing without running a whole bunch of computer tests. gone
>> > are
>> > the days when there was such a thing as a "clinical judgement". in
>> > coming
>> > days doctors will be replaced with robots.
>>
>> Clinical judgement gets better when supported by laboratory and imaging
>> technology.
>>

>> > if doctor's training does not include actually grocery shopping,
>> > cooking
>> > meals and feeding a group of 50 people with different dietary needs
>> > everyday
>> > for one whole year, the training means nothing. good nutrition is no
>> > accident, it's the culmination of thousands years of research.
>>
>> A doctor's job is quite different from that of a nutritionist or even a
>> cook. A doctor needs knowledge of different aspects of nutrition than the
>> person who is feeding a group of people on different diets. In general,
>> nutrition is not the arcane subject that it is made out to be. Most
>> people
>> can maintain a high level of nutrition with no more nutrition knowledge
>> than
>> what is provided by the U. S. Department of Agriculture Food Guide
>> Pyramid.
>> Even without that, eating a wide selection of foods with special
>> attention
>> to fruits and vegetables will provide all the nutrients a body needs.
>> Doctors need to know how to advise people with diabetes, PKU, anemias,
>> and
>> other diet related diseases. Often that advice includes, appropriately, a
>> consultation with a registered dietitian.
>> --
>>

>> --Rich
>
> You appear to have no more insight into what good nutrition is than a
> typical medical doctor, which is not much at all.

So tell us, just what is "good nutrition"?
--

--Rich

Recommended websites:

http://www.ratbags.com/rsoles
http://www.acahf.org.au
http://www.quackwatch.org/
http://www.skeptic.com/
http://www.csicop.org/

Harmony
2005-11-23 15:06:47 EST

"Rich" <joshew@hawaii.rr.com> wrote in message

> <tunderbar@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> >
> > Rich wrote:
> >> "harmony" <aka@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> >>
> >> Clinical judgement gets better when supported by laboratory and imaging
> >> technology.

> >> A doctor's job is quite different from that of a nutritionist or even a
> >> cook. A doctor needs knowledge of different aspects of nutrition than
the
> >> person who is feeding a group of people on different diets. In general,
> >> nutrition is not the arcane subject that it is made out to be. Most
> >> people
> >> can maintain a high level of nutrition with no more nutrition knowledge
> >> than
> >> what is provided by the U. S. Department of Agriculture Food Guide
> >> Pyramid.
> >> Even without that, eating a wide selection of foods with special
> >> attention
> >> to fruits and vegetables will provide all the nutrients a body needs.
> >> Doctors need to know how to advise people with diabetes, PKU, anemias,
> >> and
> >> other diet related diseases. Often that advice includes, appropriately,
> >> consultation with a registered dietitian.
> >> --
> >>

> >> --Rich
> >
> > You appear to have no more insight into what good nutrition is than a
> > typical medical doctor, which is not much at all.
> >

> So tell us, just what is "good nutrition"?
> --

you won't learn it even if you were to watch food channel 24x365.

you have to _live_ it. in usa, that means having to to undergo rigorous
training since there's whole bunch of unlearning to do.

when i see what doctor's eat, they are such a pathetic lot to be taken
seriously.
they eat bad even at hospital cafeterias where it is quite easy to eat
healthy, and they don't have to do a damn thing to prepare food.
they show no concern for food provided at schools either, having no
awareness.

once i witnessed this appalling incident. a parent asked the school to
arrange for veggie diet for her child. the school asked the parent to
provide a doctor's certificate as a special need!!!!!!!!
this is in a school that provides fatty lunches!!!
the doctor, a pediatrician at that, acted helpless in the matter as he
couldn't identify in his "patient" any special need to eat healthy!!!!!!!
i took the time to observe the doctor at lunch to see what food he ate. it
was all pathetic fatty food.

this is a common scene across usa.

> --Rich
>
> Recommended websites:
>
> http://www.ratbags.com/rsoles
> http://www.acahf.org.au
> http://www.quackwatch.org/
> http://www.skeptic.com/
> http://www.csicop.org/

T*@hotmail.com
2005-11-23 15:08:29 EST

Rich wrote:
> <tunderbar@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> >
> > Rich wrote:
> >> "harmony" <aka@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> >>
> >> Clinical judgement gets better when supported by laboratory and imaging
> >> technology.

> >> A doctor's job is quite different from that of a nutritionist or even a
> >> cook. A doctor needs knowledge of different aspects of nutrition than the
> >> person who is feeding a group of people on different diets. In general,
> >> nutrition is not the arcane subject that it is made out to be. Most
> >> people
> >> can maintain a high level of nutrition with no more nutrition knowledge
> >> than
> >> what is provided by the U. S. Department of Agriculture Food Guide
> >> Pyramid.
> >> Even without that, eating a wide selection of foods with special
> >> attention
> >> to fruits and vegetables will provide all the nutrients a body needs.
> >> Doctors need to know how to advise people with diabetes, PKU, anemias,
> >> and
> >> other diet related diseases. Often that advice includes, appropriately, a
> >> consultation with a registered dietitian.
> >> --
> >>

> >> --Rich
> >
> > You appear to have no more insight into what good nutrition is than a
> > typical medical doctor, which is not much at all.
> >

> So tell us, just what is "good nutrition"?
> --
>

> --Rich

Real fresh whole food. It is all naturally low carb. It is full of
actual nutrients. It includes natural meats and fats from animal
sources. It includes real fresh milk and milk products without
pasteurization and without homogenization or other processing, and from
healthy well-raised cows. It includes fresh eggs from healthy chickens.
It includes bone broth soups from healthy animals like chicken or beef
(beef bone soups). It includes organ meats. It includes fresh produce
grown in healthy soils with the minimum use of chemicals and
fertilizers. It includes fish, seafood, etc.

Good nutrition specifically excludes fake, manufactured, processed and
refined crap foods like margarine, shortening, sugars, hfcs, soy,
refined white wheat flour, htp milk, uhtp milk, sodas, etc.

Good nutrition has little to do with restricting red meat, cholesterol
containing foods, salty foods or fatty foods which appears to be the
only thing medical doctors can come up with.

TC

Rich
2005-11-23 15:19:18 EST

> "Rich" <joshew@hawaii.rr.com> wrote in message
>>
>> <tunderbar@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> the

>> > You appear to have no more insight into what good nutrition is than a
>> > typical medical doctor, which is not much at all.
>> >

>> So tell us, just what is "good nutrition"?
>> --
>
> you won't learn it even if you were to watch food channel 24x365.
>
> you have to _live_ it. in usa, that means having to to undergo rigorous
> training since there's whole bunch of unlearning to do.
>
> when i see what doctor's eat, they are such a pathetic lot to be taken
> seriously.
> they eat bad even at hospital cafeterias where it is quite easy to eat
> healthy, and they don't have to do a damn thing to prepare food.
> they show no concern for food provided at schools either, having no
> awareness.
>
> once i witnessed this appalling incident. a parent asked the school to
> arrange for veggie diet for her child. the school asked the parent to
> provide a doctor's certificate as a special need!!!!!!!!
> this is in a school that provides fatty lunches!!!
> the doctor, a pediatrician at that, acted helpless in the matter as he
> couldn't identify in his "patient" any special need to eat healthy!!!!!!!
> i took the time to observe the doctor at lunch to see what food he ate. it
> was all pathetic fatty food.
>
> this is a common scene across usa.

Some people, including some doctors, make bad choices. So what? As you say,
it is easy to chose a healthy diet, even from poorly prepared cafeteria
food. That's my point. It doesn't take years of "rigorous training," It's
all rather simple, really. People have lived into healthy old age for
thousands of years before the science of nutrition was even discovered. Some
people live to robust old age on diets that you would find appalling. My
grandfather, for example, ate eggs and either bacon or pork chops for
breakfast every day of his adult life. He lived to 102, and was still
driving a car at 97. The number one nutrition problem in the world is not
enough calories, a problem seldom seen in the industrialized world. In
America, probably the biggest nurtient deficit is dietary fiber, or perhaps
water. Too many empty calories as sugars, especially soft drinks, is another
big mistake in Americans' food choices. The fats that you seem focused on
are less of a problem, and vegetarianism is a political or religious issue,
not one of health. Of course vegeterrorists must pay more special attention
to their choices than we carnivores do, or they may not get adequate
complete proteins and may be short some of the B vitamins that are abundant
in meats.

Once again, eat a little of everything, including fruits and vegetables.
Drink plenty of water. Get plenty of sleep and exercise. Your grandmother
knew all that, and I'll wager she never took a nutrition course in her life.
--

--Rich

Recommended websites:

http://www.ratbags.com/rsoles
http://www.acahf.org.au
http://www.quackwatch.org/
http://www.skeptic.com/
http://www.csicop.org/

Rich
2005-11-23 15:28:54 EST

> Rich wrote:
>> <tunderbar@hotmail.com> wrote in message

>> > You appear to have no more insight into what good nutrition is than a
>> > typical medical doctor, which is not much at all.
>> >

>> So tell us, just what is "good nutrition"?
>> --
>>

>> --Rich
>
> Real fresh whole food. It is all naturally low carb. It is full of
> actual nutrients. It includes natural meats and fats from animal
> sources. It includes real fresh milk and milk products without
> pasteurization and without homogenization or other processing, and from
> healthy well-raised cows. It includes fresh eggs from healthy chickens.
> It includes bone broth soups from healthy animals like chicken or beef
> (beef bone soups). It includes organ meats. It includes fresh produce
> grown in healthy soils with the minimum use of chemicals and
> fertilizers. It includes fish, seafood, etc.

Sounds great. When the doctor prescribes that diet, the patient had better
have a big back yard for the cows and chickens and a garden and orchard. He
had better live near the ocean, too. Actually, I once lived in a large
commune where our diet was very much like what you describe. I cannot eat
like that now. But I can make healthy choices at the supermarket, and I
doubt that my diet is significnatly poorer than it was then.

> Good nutrition specifically excludes fake, manufactured, processed and
> refined crap foods like margarine, shortening, sugars, hfcs, soy,
> refined white wheat flour, htp milk, uhtp milk, sodas, etc.
>
> Good nutrition has little to do with restricting red meat, cholesterol
> containing foods, salty foods or fatty foods which appears to be the
> only thing medical doctors can come up with.

You should discuss nutrition with your doctor. You may find he knows more
than you thought he did.