Vegetarian Discussion: THE SCIENCE BEHIND FOOD

THE SCIENCE BEHIND FOOD

Dr. Jai Maharaj
2005-09-13 18:19:18 EST
The science behind food

foodnavigator-usa.com
Monday, September 12, 2005

The words 'clinical trial' or 'scientifically proven' on
a label carry huge cachet. But behind the claims of
scientific evidence, consumers expect a base level of
rigour in ensuring that food or personal care products
actually deliver the benefits they claim.

What they may not realize is that a clinical trial can be
anything from ten people using a product for a week and
self-reporting their observations, to a large-scale
placebo-controlled study lasting several years under
rigorously monitored conditions.

There is a huge gulf between the two, and a company that
tries to pass off its research as weightier than it is
risks the wrath of the authorities descending upon it.

Last month, L'Oreal was forced to withdraw two
advertisements in the UK featuring Claudia Schiffer,
after the Advertising Standards Agency ruled that the
claims made for the skin care products went beyond what
the company's tests had shown.

In the United States, PepsiCo-owned Tropicana Products
http://www.foodnavigator-usa.com/search/search.asp?KEYWORDS=Tropicana&period=all
reached a settlement with the US Federal Trade Commission
earlier this year over claims that its Healthy Heart
orange juice could reduce blood pressure, cholesterol and
homocysteine levels. The FTC alleged that there was no
clinical data to back up these claims.

Essentially, there is nothing wrong with companies
carrying out their own research and communicating their
findings in their marketing efforts. After all, while
scientists only really respect studies published in peer-
reviewed journals, such journals would be busting out of
their bindings if they were to publish the results of
every single worthy study.

But companies should never take advantage of their target
audience's respect for science
http://www.foodnavigator-usa.com/search/search.asp?KEYWORDS=science&period=all
by using slapdash methodology or over-egging unremarkable
results. Rather, they need to carry out the research as
rigorously as if the consumer had all the know-how of the
leading scientist in their field.

If companies do not do this of their own volition, there
is a chance that legislators may wrest control away from
them and prescribe a certain level of scientific enquiry
before any marketing claims can be made.

At the very least, then, the results for the substance
under trial should be compared with those produced by an
inactive placebo. Keeping both participants and
administrators in the dark as to which is which ('double
blind') can help prevent human expectations interfering
with the findings. And randomly assigning participants to
groups and switching them midway though can reduce the
likelihood of bias.

If any bias or confounding factors could have come into
play, declaring and discussing them will win greater
respect than glossing them over and opening the entire
study to criticism.

Budgetary constrains might limit the number of
participants and time period, but in general, the larger
and longer the trial, the more likely the findings are to
be accurate.

Such rigour might be difficult to convey in the glamorous
marketing hype that swathes a new product. But if a
company cannot stand up and say, honestly and truly, it
has done the very best by its science, it has no-one to
blame but itself when consumers lose faith in its so-
called scientific proof.

For when it comes to sales success, the proof is in the
pudding. Health claims are best reserved for products
that really are proven to do what they say they do.

Jess Halliday is editor of NutraIngredients-USA.com. She
has worked across broadcast, print and online media in
the United States and Europe.

More at:
http://www.foodnavigator-usa.com/news/ng.asp?n=62438&m=1fnu912&c=qdrhrvoeraoqydo

Jai Maharaj
http://www.mantra.com/jai
Om Shanti

Hindu Holocaust Museum
http://www.mantra.com/holocaust

Hindu life, principles, spirituality and philosophy
http://www.hindu.org
http://www.hindunet.org

The truth about Islam and Muslims
http://www.flex.com/~jai/satyamevajayate

The terrorist mission of Jesus stated in the Christian bible:

"Think not that I am come to send peace on earth: I came not so send
peace, but a sword.
"For I am come to set a man at variance against his father, and the
daughter against her mother, and the daughter in law against her mother in
law.
"And a man's foes shall be they of his own household.
- Matthew 10:34-36.

fair use of copyrighted works.

copyright owner.

Since newsgroup posts are being removed
by forgery by one or more net terrorists,
this post may be reposted several times.

PRAKASH APPUKUTTAN
2005-09-13 20:23:32 EST
The Dr. in Dr. Jai Maharaj does not have anything to do with real
science.

B*@hotmail.com
2005-09-18 21:39:34 EST

PRAKASH APPUKUTTAN wrote:
> The Dr. in Dr. Jai Maharaj does not have anything to do with real
> science.

and you do?

Dr. Homilete
2005-09-19 00:19:19 EST
b*k@hotmail.com wrote:

> PRAKASH APPUKUTTAN wrote:
>
>>The Dr. in Dr. Jai Maharaj does not have anything to do with real
>>science.
>

> and you do?

Does he put a "Dr." in front of his name? Does he post stolen articles
on medical subjects, as Jay Maharaj does, pretending to be a medical
doctor? Johnny Maharaj, when responding to posters who genuinely believe
that he is a medical doctor, carefully neglects to disabuse them of that
false notion. Johnny "Jay" Maharaj is a mercenary usenet propagandist,
paid well to further the agenda of a fundamentalist Nazi-like group
claiming to represent Hindus. (For further info, see
http://www.geocities.com/indianfascism/fascism/vhp.htm }

Lifestyle terrorists have a way of ignoring credentials when the poster
serve their purpose.

Rudy Canoza
2005-09-19 00:34:50 EST
Dr. Homilete wrote:

> banmilk@hotmail.com wrote:
>
>> PRAKASH APPUKUTTAN wrote:
>>
>>> The Dr. in Dr. Jai Maharaj does not have anything to do with real
>>> science.
>>

>> and you do?
>

> Does he put a "Dr." in front of his name? Does he post stolen articles
> on medical subjects, as Jay Maharaj does, pretending to be a medical
> doctor? Johnny Maharaj, when responding to posters who genuinely believe
> that he is a medical doctor, carefully neglects to disabuse them of that
> false notion. Johnny "Jay" Maharaj is a mercenary usenet propagandist,
> paid well to further the agenda of a fundamentalist Nazi-like group
> claiming to represent Hindus. (For further info, see
> http://www.geocities.com/indianfascism/fascism/vhp.htm }

Jay "not-a-doctor" Stevens, aka "Jai Mahadunghill", is
not a doctor, knows FUCK-ALL about science, and is a
complete fraud.

B*@canada.com
2005-09-22 22:05:26 EST

Rudy Canoza wrote:
> Dr. Homilete wrote:
>
> > banmilk@hotmail.com wrote:

> >> and you do?
> >

> > Does he put a "Dr." in front of his name? Does he post stolen articles
> > on medical subjects, as Jay Maharaj does, pretending to be a medical
> > doctor? Johnny Maharaj, when responding to posters who genuinely believe
> > that he is a medical doctor, carefully neglects to disabuse them of that
> > false notion. Johnny "Jay" Maharaj is a mercenary usenet propagandist,
> > paid well to further the agenda of a fundamentalist Nazi-like group
> > claiming to represent Hindus. (For further info, see
> > http://www.geocities.com/indianfascism/fascism/vhp.htm }
>
> Jay "not-a-doctor" Stevens, aka "Jai Mahadunghill", is
> not a doctor, knows FUCK-ALL about science, and is a
> complete fraud.

He knows more about what is fit and proper to eat than you will *ever*
know Goober.

Rudy Canoza
2005-09-23 01:53:07 EST
b*g@canada.com wrote:

> Rudy Canoza wrote:
>
>>Dr. Homilete wrote:

>>>Does he put a "Dr." in front of his name? Does he post stolen articles
>>>on medical subjects, as Jay Maharaj does, pretending to be a medical
>>>doctor? Johnny Maharaj, when responding to posters who genuinely believe
>>>that he is a medical doctor, carefully neglects to disabuse them of that
>>>false notion. Johnny "Jay" Maharaj is a mercenary usenet propagandist,
>>>paid well to further the agenda of a fundamentalist Nazi-like group
>>>claiming to represent Hindus. (For further info, see
>>>http://www.geocities.com/indianfascism/fascism/vhp.htm }
>>
>>Jay "not-a-doctor" Stevens, aka "Jai Mahadunghill", is
>>not a doctor, knows FUCK-ALL about science, and is a
>>complete fraud.
>

> He knows more about what is fit and proper to

stick up his ass.

Well, I expect he would.

Dr. Homilete
2005-09-23 04:28:09 EST
b*g@canada.com wrote:

> Rudy Canoza wrote:
>

>>Jay "not-a-doctor" Stevens, aka "Jai Mahadunghill", is
>>not a doctor, knows FUCK-ALL about science, and is a
>>complete fraud.
>

> He knows more about what is fit and proper to eat than you will *ever*
> know Goober.

Jay Stevens aka Jai Maharaj "knows" nothing about nutrition. All he does
is cut and paste stuff. Haven't you noticed that he does not debate any
of the subject matter he posts? With good reason: he is uniquely
unqualified to give an expert opinion on anything except how to rip
babies out of their mothers' wombs and impale them on a trishul(an
Indian trident).

"There are horrific reports of fetuses being torn from womens’ wombs and
impaled on tridents, women and young girls being gang-raped, instruments
such as glass bottles and Hindu symbols such as the trident, or trishul,
being shoved up their vaginas."
http://www.barnard.edu/bcrw/respondingtoviolence/rao.htm

Jai Maharaj does the usenet propaganda and some of the fundraising that
benefits the groups responsible for the above. Kind of puts anything he
might have to say on the subject of proper nutrition in the shade.