Vegetarian Discussion: EARLY CHRISTIAN VEGETARIANS

EARLY CHRISTIAN VEGETARIANS

Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9   Next  (First | Last)

Dr. Jai Maharaj
2005-09-11 16:18:11 EST
Forwarded message from Fidyl <fidyl@yahoo.com>

[ Subject: EARLY CHRISTIAN VEGETARIANS
[ From: Fidyl <fidyl@yahoo.com>
[ Date: Sat, 10 Sep 2005

EARLY CHRISTIAN VEGETARIANS

http://www.animalliberationfront.com/Philosophy/Religion/Early%20Christian%20Vegetarians.htm

Early Christians Practice Vegetarianism

Christian scholars have concluded vegetarianism to be the
more consistent with respect to the spirit of Christ's
teachings. There are the Ebionites, Athanasius, and
Arius, Clement of Alexandria, Origen, Tertullian,
Heronymus, Boniface, St. Jerome, and John Chrysostom.
Clement wrote, "It is far better to be happy than to have
your bodies act as graveyards for animals. The Apostle
Matthew partook of seeds, nuts and vegetables, without
flesh". Of the earliest Christian documents is,
Clementine Homiles', a second-century work based on the
teachings of St. Peter. Homily XII states, "The unnatural
eating of flesh meats is as polluting as the heathen
worship of devils, with its sacrifices and its impure
feasts, through participation in it a man becomes a
fellow eater with devils". Many monasteries in ancient
times to the present practiced vegetarianism.

Many early Christians were vegetarian, Clement of
Alexandria, Origen, John Chrysostom, and Basil the Great.
In some early church writings, Matthew, Peter and James
(Brother of Jesus and first leader of the New Jerusalem
Church) were all Vegetarian.

Early Christian Vegetarians

The apostle Matthew partook of seeds and nuts and
vegetables without flesh. Clement of Alexandria (The
Instructor, book 2, chapter 1., Peter said, "I live on
olives and bread to which I rarely only add vegetables."
Pseudo-Clementine Homolies 12,6; also Recognitions 7,6.

[...]

Clement of Alexandria

Sacrifices were invented by men to be a pretext for
eating flesh.

James

James, the brother of the Lord was holy from his mothers
womb; and he drank no wine nor strong drink, nor did he
eat flesh. Hegesippus, quoted in The Church History of
Eusebius, book 2, chapter 23.

Regenstein

Says that nowhere in the New Testament is Jesus depicted
as eating Flesh and "if the Last Supper was a Passover
meal, there is, no mention of the Pass Over Lamb Dish".

Saint Augustine

Says: Jacobus, the brother of Jesus, lived of seeds and
vegetables and did not accept meat or wine.

Saint Basil

The steam of meat meals darkens the spirit. One can
hardly have virtue if one enjoys meat meals and feasts.
In the earthly paradise, no one sacrificed animals, and
no one ate meat.

St Francis of Assisi

All things of creation are children of the Father and
thus brothersof man, God wants us to help animals, if
they need help. Every creature in distress has the same
right to be protected.

Saint Jerome

The eating of meat was unknown up to the big flood, but
since the flood they have the strings and stinking juices
of animal meat into our mouths, just as they threw in
front of the grumbling sensual people in the desert.
Jesus Christ, who appeared when the time had been
fulfilled, has again joined the end with the beginning,
so that it is no longer allowed for us to eat animal
meat.

End of forwarded message from Fidyl <fidyl@yahoo.com>

Jai Maharaj
http://www.mantra.com/jai
Om Shanti

fair use of copyrighted works.

copyright owner.

Since newsgroup posts are being removed
by forgery by one or more net terrorists,
this post may be reposted several times.

H*@indero.com
2005-09-11 16:45:10 EST
"Early Christians Practice Vegetarianism

Christian scholars have concluded vegetarianism to be the more consistent
with respect to the spirit of Christ's teachings. There are the Ebionites,
Athanasius, and Arius, Clement of Alexandria, Origen, Tertullian,"

What a silly self serving article. The above contains people who were
kicked out of the church in shame for being heretical. "Scholars" have
said no such thing, those who advocate such a diet and who also happen to
be christian have expressed their opinion which finds no refuge in any
church teachings. Christ ate meat, encouraged others to do likewise by his
behaviors. It is only people going back to redo history to fit a current
cultural fad in the west that causes this kind of empty rubbish to be
invented from wholecloth.

2005-09-11 18:36:09 EST
"If someone who isn't a Christian asks you home for dinner, go ahead;
accept the invitation if you want to. Eat whatever is offered to you
and don't ask any questions about it. Your conscience should not be
bothered by this." NLT 1Cr 10:27

Harmony
2005-09-11 18:52:23 EST
we hope christ did not eat meat for his sake, that he might be saved.

"Dr. Jai Maharaj" <usenet@mantra.com> wrote in message
> [...]
current
> e-mail and postal addresses, and live-voice telephone number.
> o Posted for information and discussion. Views expressed by others
are
> not necessarily those of the poster who may or may not have read the
article.

> FAIR USE NOTICE: This article may contain copyrighted material the use of
> which may or may not have been specifically authorized by the copyright
> owner. This material is being made available in efforts to advance the
> understanding of environmental, political, human rights, economic,
> democratic, scientific, social, and cultural, etc., issues. It is believed
> that this constitutes a 'fair use' of any such copyrighted material as
> provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law. In accordance with
Title
> 17 U.S.C. Section 107, the material on this site is distributed without
> profit to those who have expressed a prior interest in receiving the
included
> information for research, comment, discussion and educational purposes by
> subscribing to USENET newsgroups or visiting web sites. For more
information
> go to: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml
> If you wish to use copyrighted material from this article for purposes of
> your own that go beyond 'fair use', you must obtain permission from the
> copyright owner.
>
> Since newsgroup posts are being removed
> by forgery by one or more net terrorists,
> this post may be reposted several times.

Fred
2005-09-11 19:31:03 EST
Dr. Jai Maharaj wrote:
> Forwarded message from Fidyl <fidyl@yahoo.com>
>
> [ Subject: EARLY CHRISTIAN VEGETARIANS
> [ From: Fidyl <fidyl@yahoo.com>
> [ Date: Sat, 10 Sep 2005
>
> EARLY CHRISTIAN VEGETARIANS
>
> http://www.animalliberationfront.com/Philosophy/Religion/Early%20Christian%20Vegetarians.htm
>
> Early Christians Practice Vegetarianism
>
> Christian scholars have concluded vegetarianism to be the
> more consistent with respect to the spirit of Christ's
> teachings. There are the Ebionites, Athanasius, and
> Arius, Clement of Alexandria, Origen, Tertullian,
> Heronymus, Boniface, St. Jerome, and John Chrysostom.
> Clement wrote, "It is far better to be happy than to have
> your bodies act as graveyards for animals. The Apostle
> Matthew partook of seeds, nuts and vegetables, without
> flesh". Of the earliest Christian documents is,
> Clementine Homiles', a second-century work based on the
> teachings of St. Peter. Homily XII states, "The unnatural
> eating of flesh meats is as polluting as the heathen
> worship of devils, with its sacrifices and its impure
> feasts, through participation in it a man becomes a
> fellow eater with devils". Many monasteries in ancient
> times to the present practiced vegetarianism.

Where are you coming from with respect to what these so-called
Christian scholars have determined about vegetarianism? Not only does
1 Corinthians 10:25-27 make it clear that Christians can eat meat, but
Romans 14:2-3 indicates that religious vegetarianism is actually a sign
of weak faith.

John 3:16
Romans 3:20

> Many early Christians were vegetarian, Clement of
> Alexandria, Origen, John Chrysostom, and Basil the Great.
> In some early church writings, Matthew, Peter and James

<snipped for brevity>

Pearl
2005-09-11 19:35:44 EST
<*1@gmail.com> wrote in message news:1126478169.558871.91150@z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com...
> "If someone who isn't a Christian asks you home for dinner, go ahead;
> accept the invitation if you want to. Eat whatever is offered to you
> and don't ask any questions about it. Your conscience should not be
> bothered by this." NLT 1Cr 10:27

"He shall be called a Nazarene." (Matthew 2:23)

"The Nasaraeans . . .They acknowledged Moses and
believed that he had received laws - not this law, however,
but some other. And so, they were Jews who kept all the
Jewish observances, but they would not offer sacrifice or
eat meat. They considered it unlawful to eat meat or make
sacrifices with it. They claim that these Books (of Moses)
are fictions, and that none of these customs were instituted
by the fathers. " - Epiphanius (Panarion 1:18) '
http://www.essene.com/History&Essenes/ezlaw.htm

1. NOW, Joseph and Mary, his parents, went up to
Jerusalem every year at the Feast of the Passover and
they observed the feast after the manner of their brethren,
who abstained from bloodshed and the eating of flesh
and from strong drink. .....'
http://reluctant-messenger.com/essene/gospel_1.htm

'9. Verily I say unto you, for this end have I come into
the world, that I may put away all blood offerings and
the eating of the flesh of the beasts and the birds that
are slain by men.
10. In the beginning, God gave to all, the fruits of the
trees, and the seeds, and the herbs, for food; but those
who loved themselves more than God, or their fellows,
corrupted their ways, and brought diseases into their
bodies, and filled the earth with lust and violence.
11. Not by shedding innocent blood, therefore, but by
living a righteous life, shall ye find the peace of God.
Ye call me the Christ of God and ye say well, for I am
the Way, the Truth and the Life.
12. Walk ye in the Way, and ye shall find God. Seek
ye the Truth, and the Truth shall make you free. Live in
the Life, and ye shall see no death. All things are alive
in God, and the Spirit of God filleth all things.
13. Keep ye the commandments. Love thy God with
all thy heart, and love thy neighbour as thyself. On
these hang all the law and the prophets. And the sum
of the law is this- Do not ye unto others as ye would
not that others should do unto you. Do ye unto others,
as ye would that others should do unto you.
14. Blessed are they who keep this law, for God is
manifested in all creatures. All creatures live in God,
and God is hid in them.
..'
http://reluctant-messenger.com/essene/gospel_8.htm

Dr. Jai Maharaj
2005-09-12 02:38:49 EST
WAS CHRIST A VEGETARIAN?

By Ted Altar

The following arguments are to be found, for the most
part, in Keith Akers' very useful, "A VEGETARIAN
SOURCEBOOK" 1989. Another sourcebook I would also highly
recommend for its scholarship is Lewis Regenstein's
"REPLENISH THE EARTH: THE HISTORY OF ORGANIZED
RELIGION'S TREATMENT OF ANIMALS AND NATURE-- INCLUDING
THE BIBLE'S MESSAGE OF CONSERVATION AND KINDNESS TOWARD
ANIMALS", 1991.

1. "I REQUIRE MERCY, NOT SACRIFICE" (Matthew 9:13 &
12:7):

This is a significant message when we remember that in
the context in which this was said meat eating was
commonly considered part of these sacrifices.
Sacrificial offerings often entailed meat consumption
and a strict reading of Leviticus 17: implies that,
indeed, all meat consumption necessitated a sacrifice.
Also, the noted confrontation of Jesus in the Temple
suggests that he was not at all pleased by the
desecration of the Temple by the money changers AND by
"those who were selling oxen and sheep and pigeons"
(John 2:14-15) since these animals were being sold for
sacrifice before being eaten.

2. NO UNEQUIVOCAL BIBLICAL REFERENCE TO CHRIST EATING
OR BUYING EAT:

Consider the verse where it is said that Jesus'
disciples "were gone away unto the city to buy meat"
(John 4:8). This translation from the King James
version has been misunderstood as meaning literally
"meat". In fact, the Greek word for "meat" from which
the James translation based its choice for this word,
simply meant nutrition in the generic sense. Hence, the
Revised Standard Version now simply translates this same
passage as "his disciples had gone away into the city to
buy food".

Regenstein notes that nowhere in the New Testament is
Jesus depicted as eating meat and "if the Last Supper
was a Passover meal -- as many believe -- there is,
interestingly, no mention of the traditional lamb dish".

3. DID CHRIST EAT AT LEAST EAT FISH? (E.G., LUKE
24:43):

Note that on the two occasions where he is said to
have eaten fish, these were *after* his death and
resurrection. Also, we should maybe keep in mind that
fish was a well known mystical symbol among these early
Christians. The Greek word for fish (Ichthys) was used
as an acronym whose initials in Greek stood for "Jesus
Christ, Son of God, Savior". Given how the early
Christians employed the term, there is therefore good
historical evidence for the argument that all of the
"fish stories" that managed to get into the gospels were
intended to be taken symbolically rather than literally.

4. BIBLICAL BREAKS AND CONTRADICTIONS:

We should not forget that the Bible is not complete
and its many inconsistencies require thoughtful
interpretation. For instance, we have the contradiction
between Genesis 1:29-30 with Genesis 9:2-3. Some
scholars interpret the first prescription for
vegetarianism as the preferred diet, and suggest that it
was only after God became grievously disappointed with
human sin and flooded the earth did the second provision
become permitted, and not without qualification (and
maybe only as an expedient for the situation). To take
another example, the New Testament makes repeated
attacks on meat offered to pagan idols (Acts 15:20;
Revelation 2:14), but Paul gives assurances that eating
such flesh is all right if no one is offended
(Corinthians 10:14-33). Paul, then, would seem to be
contradicting Christ.

5. EXAMPLES OF EARLY CHRISTIANS:

Not a few Christian scholars have concluded
vegetarianism to be the more consistent ethic with
respect to the spirit of Christ's teachings. For
example, we have the Ebionites, Athanasius, and Arius.
Of the early church fathers we have Clement of
Alexandria, Origen, Tertullian, Heronymus, Boniface, St.
Jerome, and John Chrysostom. Clement wrote, "It is far
better to be happy than to have your bodies act as
graveyards for animals. Accordingly, the apostle Matthew
partook of seeds, nuts and vegetables, without flesh".
One of the earliest Christian documents is the
`Clementine Homiles', a second-century work purportedly
based on the teachings of St. Peter. Homily XII states,
"The unnatural eating of flesh meats is as polluting as
the heathen worship of devils, with its sacrifices and
its impure feasts, through participation in it a man
becomes a fellow eater with devils". Many of the
monasteries both in ancient times to the present
practiced vegetarianism. For instance, Basilius the
Great's order, Boniface's order, Trappists monks, etc.
Also, we have the examples provided by the stories
around some saints like Hubertus, Aegidius and Francis
of Assisi.

6. INDIRECT HISTORICAL EVIDENCE:

Knowledge about how the Essenes, the Nazoreans and
Ebionites lived suggests that Christ was probably a
vegetarian. The Essences were Jews who were remarkably
similar to the early Christians as evinced in their
deemphasis upon property and wealth, their communalism
and in their rejection of animal sacrifices. The first
Christians were known as the Nazoreans (not to be
confused with Nazarenes), and the Ebionites were a
direct offshoot from them. All three groups were
vegetarian which is suggestive of the central role such
a practice once played in Early Christianity.

Paul's need to constantly deal with these vegetarians
is also evidence of how prevalent they were and not a
few fellow Christians, it would seem, took issue with
Paul. Paul, if he is consistent with his words, would
have been vegetarian (Corinthians 8:13), notwithstanding
his opposition to the Ebionites. According to Clement
of Alexandria, Matthew was a vegetarian. Clementine
`Homiles' and `Recognitions' claim that Peter was also a
vegetarian. Both Hegisuppus and Augustin testify that
the first head of the church in Jerusalem after the
death of Christ, namely Christ's brother JAMES THE JUST,
was a vegetarian and raised as one! If Jesus's parents
raised James as vegetarian then it would be likely that
Jesus was also so raised.

CONCLUSION:

Given the above points, it is reasonable to believe
that vegetarianism would be consistent with, if not
mandated by, the spirit of early Christianity, a spirit
that advocated kindness, mercy, non-violence and showed
disdain towards wealth and extravagance. Meat eating
would hardly have been considered the way of the
humility, non-extravagance and love for all of God's
creation. Hence, the orthodox early church father,
Christian Hieronymous, could not but be compelled to
conclude:

"the eating of animal meat was unknown up to the big
flood, but since the flood they have pushed the strings
and stinking juices of animal meat into our mouths, just
as they threw quails in front of the grumbling sensual
people in the desert. Jesus Christ, who appeared when
the time had been fulfilled, has again joined the end
with the beginning, so that it is no longer allowed for
us to eat animal meat"

WHAT HAPPENED?

Maybe an even more important question than that of
whether or not Christ was a vegetarian, was why
Christianity later abandoned its vegetarian roots.
Steven Rosen in his book, FOOD FOR THE SPIRIT, 1987,
argues:

The early Christian fathers adhered to a meatless
regime . . . many early Christian groups supported the
meatless way of life. In fact, the writings of the
early Church indicate that meat eating was not
officially allowed until the 4th century, when the
Emperor Constantine decided that his version of
Christianity would be the version for everyone. A meat
eating interpretation of the Bible became the official
creed of the Roman Empire, and vegetarian Christians had
to practice in secret or risk being put to death for
heresy. It is said that Constantine used to pour molten
lead down the their throats if they were captured.

Ironic indeed that pagan Rome here would have this
longstanding influence upon Christianity.

In any case, I think we can all be thankful that it is
a lot easier today to be a vegetarian. The occasional
rudeness and social disapproval a vegetarian must
tolerate is a pretty small inconvenience in comparison
to Constantine's way of dealing with vegetarians :-(

To cite another sad example: in southern France a
group of Albigensian vegetarians (a Cartharist
religious group) were put to death by hanging in 1052
because they refused to kill a chicken!

Regards,
ted

P.S. While I'm not a Christian myself, I do find these
questions interesting and even important. There is a
large body of good impartial scholarship on this issue
that is worth reading. Remember, many Christian groups
from the time of Christ have practiced vegetarianism.
The Seventh Day Adventist maybe being the most well
known in the U.S. And even within other mainstream
Christian groups, and even Jewish groups, there exists
among them all at least some minority opinion held by
respected members who would forward the merits of
vegetarianism being the more consistent practice with
their principles. You might also take a look at Andrew
Linzey's book, CHRISTIANITY AND THE RIGHTS OF ANIMALS

End of article by Ted Altar

Jai Maharaj
http://www.mantra.com/jai
Om Shanti