Vegetarian Discussion: Beef Produced And Eaten, And Not A Single Steer Or Cow "got To Experience Life"

Beef Produced And Eaten, And Not A Single Steer Or Cow "got To Experience Life"

George Plimpton
2013-08-05 14:34:33 EST
It's here, Fuckwit: laboratory produced meat grown in a container. No
cattle were brought into existence and "got to experience life" in order
to produce this beef.

http://www.latimes.com/business/money/la-fi-mo-lab-beef-20130805,0,7945932.story

By Ricardo Lopez

August 5, 2013, 8:29 a.m.

For a $330,000 burger, taste testers thought the flavor fell a little flat.

The hefty price tag, however, wasn't for some fancy, rare cut of meat.
In fact, this meat had never so much as mooed in a previous life: It was
beef grown in a laboratory.

Dutch scientists Monday unveiled their ambitious research project, years
in the making, with a public taste test of their cultured beef in London.

Volunteer tasters sampled hamburger made from the lab-grown beef made
from stem cells. Scientists hope it can one day alleviate a food crisis
as the world's population swells and help combat climate change.

To make the meat, scientists at Maastricht University in the Netherlands
used muscle stem cells from two organic cows and combined them with a
nutrient solution. The muscle cells then grew into strands of meat. It
takes 20,000 strands to make a 5-ounce burger.

Taste testers said the meat lacked the fat of a conventional burger,
making the taste a little underwhelming, the Associated Press reported.

So, it's not quite ready for market, but this could soon be the way
*all* meat is produced. It would be cheaper and less environmentally
destructive than raising livestock. If it comes to pass, then billions
and billions and eventually trillions of animals will never "get to
experience life" - their lives will be prevented, and "vegans" won't
have anything to do with it.

I'm not saying it will come to pass, but if it does, the fact that
trillions of animals will never exist and "get to experience life" will
be meaningless. No one will care.

Mr.Smartypants
2013-08-05 15:33:54 EST
On Monday, August 5, 2013 12:34:33 PM UTC-6, George Plimpton wrote:
> It's here, Fuckwit: laboratory produced meat grown in a container. No
>
> cattle were brought into existence and "got to experience life" in order
>
> to produce this beef.
>

> http://www.latimes.com/business/money/la-fi-mo-lab-beef-20130805,0,7945932.story
>

> By Ricardo Lopez
>

> August 5, 2013, 8:29 a.m.
>

> For a $330,000 burger, taste testers thought the flavor fell a little flat.
>

> The hefty price tag, however, wasn't for some fancy, rare cut of meat.
>
> In fact, this meat had never so much as mooed in a previous life: It was
>
> beef grown in a laboratory.
>

> Dutch scientists Monday unveiled their ambitious research project, years
>
> in the making, with a public taste test of their cultured beef in London.
>

> Volunteer tasters sampled hamburger made from the lab-grown beef made
>
> from stem cells. Scientists hope it can one day alleviate a food crisis
>
> as the world's population swells and help combat climate change.
>

> To make the meat, scientists at Maastricht University in the Netherlands
>
> used muscle stem cells from two organic cows and combined them with a
>
> nutrient solution. The muscle cells then grew into strands of meat. It
>
> takes 20,000 strands to make a 5-ounce burger.
>

> Taste testers said the meat lacked the fat of a conventional burger,
>
> making the taste a little underwhelming, the Associated Press reported.

> So, it's not quite ready for market, but this could soon be the way
>
> *all* meat is produced. It would be cheaper and less environmentally
>
> destructive than raising livestock. If it comes to pass, then billions
>
> and billions and eventually trillions of animals will never "get to
>
> experience life" - their lives will be prevented, and "vegans" won't
>
> have anything to do with it.
>

> I'm not saying it will come to pass, but if it does, the fact that
>
> trillions of animals will never exist and "get to experience life" will
>
> be meaningless. No one will care.

If those insane bozos really want to make a difference they should be cultivating lab grown veggies/fruits/grains/nuts/legumes.

Witziges_Rätsel?=
2013-08-05 16:10:29 EST
On 8/5/2013 2:34 PM, George Plimpton wrote:

> It's here, Fuckwit: laboratory produced meat grown in a container. No
> cattle were brought into existence and "got to experience life" in order
> to produce this beef.

Does it smell like fish?

=?UTF-8?B?wqfPgWFtw591c3Rlcg=?=

KEEP IT OUT OF CANADIAN NEWSGROUPS, THANKS

On 8/5/2013 1:10 PM, Witziges Rätsel wrote:
> On 8/5/2013 2:34 PM, George Plimpton wrote:
>>
>> It's here, Fuckwit: laboratory produced meat grown in a container. No
>> cattle were brought into existence and "got to experience life" in order
>> to produce this beef.

=?UTF-8?B?wqfPgWFtw591c3Rlcg=?=

KEEP IT OUT OF CANADIAN NEWSGROUPS, THANKS

On 8/5/2013 1:10 PM, Witziges Rätsel wrote:
> On 8/5/2013 2:34 PM, George Plimpton wrote:
>>
>> It's here, Fuckwit: laboratory produced meat grown in a container. No
>> cattle were brought into existence and "got to experience life" in order
>> to produce this beef.

Dakota
2013-08-05 16:26:28 EST
On 8/5/2013 3:10 PM, Witziges Rätsel wrote:
> On 8/5/2013 2:34 PM, George Plimpton wrote:
>>
>> It's here, Fuckwit: laboratory produced meat grown in a container. No
>> cattle were brought into existence and "got to experience life" in
>> order
>> to produce this beef.
>>

> Does it smell like fish?

The meat grown in the laboratory required starter cells from cattle
that did exist.

George Plimpton
2013-08-05 18:37:47 EST
On 8/5/2013 1:26 PM, Dakota wrote:
> On 8/5/2013 3:10 PM, Witziges Rätsel wrote:
>> On 8/5/2013 2:34 PM, George Plimpton wrote:
>>>
>>> It's here, Fuckwit: laboratory produced meat grown in a container. No
>>> cattle were brought into existence and "got to experience life" in
>>> order
>>> to produce this beef.
>>>

>> Does it smell like fish?
>
> The meat grown in the laboratory required starter cells from cattle that
> did exist.

Right, but ultimately it would be possible to produce massive amounts of
beef with just a few cattle to provide the stem cells. Hundreds of
millions, perhaps billion, of cattle lives would never occur.

Christopher A. Lee
2013-08-05 18:46:42 EST
On Mon, 05 Aug 2013 15:37:47 -0700, George Plimpton <george@si.not>
wrote:

>On 8/5/2013 1:26 PM, Dakota wrote:

>>> Does it smell like fish?
>>
>> The meat grown in the laboratory required starter cells from cattle that
>> did exist.
>
>Right, but ultimately it would be possible to produce massive amounts of
>beef with just a few cattle to provide the stem cells. Hundreds of
>millions, perhaps billion, of cattle lives would never occur.

We can't do that - where would all those Hari Krishnas be reborn into?

George Plimpton
2013-08-05 18:55:12 EST
On 8/5/2013 3:46 PM, Christopher A. Lee wrote:
> On Mon, 05 Aug 2013 15:37:47 -0700, George Plimpton <george@si.not>
> wrote:

>>> The meat grown in the laboratory required starter cells from cattle that
>>> did exist.
>>
>> Right, but ultimately it would be possible to produce massive amounts of
>> beef with just a few cattle to provide the stem cells. Hundreds of
>> millions, perhaps billion, of cattle lives would never occur.
>
> We can't do that - where would all those Hari Krishnas be reborn into?

I think I see a solution to several problems in this laboratory work
being done.

Rupert
2013-08-05 20:54:19 EST
On Tuesday, August 6, 2013 12:55:12 AM UTC+2, George Plimpton wrote:
> On 8/5/2013 3:46 PM, Christopher A. Lee wrote:
>
> > On Mon, 05 Aug 2013 15:37:47 -0700, George Plimpton <george@si.not>
>
> > wrote:

> >> Right, but ultimately it would be possible to produce massive amounts of
>
> >> beef with just a few cattle to provide the stem cells. Hundreds of
>
> >> millions, perhaps billion, of cattle lives would never occur.
>

> > We can't do that - where would all those Hari Krishnas be reborn into?
>

> I think I see a solution to several problems in this laboratory work
>
> being done.

I'd be very pleased if they could actually produce affordable meat that people found reasonably tasty in this way, and if it caught on.