Vegetarian Discussion: Why We Get Fat

Immortalist
2013-04-23 12:54:58 EST
Why We Get Fat -...the main causes of fat buildup are foods that
activate {[INSULIN]} not necessarily how much food is eaten. Once this
stuff hits adipose tissue the cells open up spread Eagled and absorb
fat in the blood that was before just happily passing them right by.
Now the criminals have been found and it is the fake super foods of
civilization! Whatever controls insulin production and metabolism is
better supported by evidence than the old calories in calories out
defunct 1900s idea that has dominated till now.

"...Insulin is the primary hormone that fixes fat in the fat cells.
This is why Type I diabetics lose weight: they're not producing enough
insulin. Since insulin is manufactured in direct response to
carbohydrates, if you don't eat them, you won't have a mechanism by
which to store fat. ...any success in standard diets can be attributed
directly to the dieter's reduced intake of carbohydrates, especially
sugars and particularly fructose..."

-the old "calories in - calories out" steam engine view of obesity is
not only mildly incorrect, it is so very obviously wrong on so many
levels as to completely defy rational thought.

-fat metabolism versus carbohydrate metabolism; carbs disturb the
delicately balanced fat storage mechanism and cause obesity. ...the
research which backs this up, and has for decades and decades, is
being totally ignored by most medical and public health officials.

--That's right - carbs. Not dietary fat, not sloth, not moral
weakness, not any other of the fad social mythology which passes for
"evidence" driven policies and public stances.

-our great-grandmothers had a better sense of healthy food than almost
all the scientists, dieticians, health agency spokescritters, and
gurus who have filled our heads with lies for at least 60 years. (And
been accessories to the pain and death of millions of wrongly informed
people...)

---

The brilliant thing about science is that when something is disproved
once, it's disproved forever. The not-so-brilliant thing about public
health policy is that it has little to do with science.

Everyone in the developed world knows what's causing our obesity
epidemic. BBC nailed it: "We eat too much, and too much of the wrong
things," and Michelle Obama tells us "We have to move more." Clearly
what we need is a balanced diet of lean meats, some good fats, and
complex carbohydrates like fruit, vegetables and whole grain bread,
and exercise of 30 to 90 minutes per day. Their prescription is
completely reasonable and makes intuitive sense.

It is neat, plausible, and wrong. It has in fact been disproved, as
nearly as "disproof" can exist in nutrition science...

...all those public recommendations -- the food pyramid, the "eat
food, not too much" approach, everything we know about a balanced
lifestyle -- is founded on the premise of Calories In vs. Calories
Out. That we get fat because we eat too many calories, or we don't
burn enough of them through movement. But this is nonsense. It's not
just wrong, it is actually not a statement about what causes obesity
at all (or heart disease, cancer or diabetes, for that matter.) It is,
in Taubes' words, a "junior high level mistake," because it tells us
nothing about fat accumulation. If we get fat, by definition we have
taken in more calories than we've put out -- but WHY we took in those
calories, or didn't burn them, is the key point.

Taubes reviews the scientific literature (rather than the popular
press) and presents a conclusion that was common knowledge before
WWII, and heresy afterward:

we get fat because our fat cells
have become disregulated
and are taking nutrients that
should be available to other tissues.

Like a tumor, the cells live for themselves rather than in balance
with the rest of the body. And since those nutrients aren't available,
we become hungry and tired. Therefore we eat more, and move less.

For the chronic dieters among us, one passage about animal models will
explain decades of frustration. Rodents with a particular part of the
hypothalamus destroyed would become obese and/or sedentary *as a
consequence* of their bodies putting on more fat. "After the surgery,
their fat tissue sucks up calories to make more fat; this leaves
insufficient fuel for the rest of the body...The only way to prevent
these animals from getting obese is to starve them...they get fat not
by overeating but by eating at all." Sound familiar?

The problem isn't one of gluttony and sloth, as Taubes refers to it,
but of hormone balance. Simply put, some people are more sensitive to
the hormone effects of insulin, cortisol, and a few other -ols, than
other people are. The more sensitive you are, the more you're likely
to get fat, and the more fat you're likely to get, in the presence of
even small amounts of carbohydrate -- and in the absence of enough
fat.

That's right, this book advocates eating fat. Not just moderately, but
as much fat as possible, up to 78% of calories. Not lean meats, not
Jenny-O 99.6% fat-free turkey, not skinless chicken breasts, but lard.
Yes, lard. The healthy way of eating, according to Taubes, is
moderately high protein and high fat. Yes, high fat. About a 3:1 ratio
of fat to protein, and almost no carbohydrates. (Telling people to eat
a balanced diet containing carbohydrates is, he says, equivalent to
telling smokers to include a balanced serving of cigarettes.) And he
demonstrates exactly why a high-fat, low-carbohydrate diet is the most
heart-healthy approach, as borne out by several dozen recent studies.

While Taubes acknowledges that exercise seems to be good for us for a
variety of reasons, weight control isn't one of them. Study after
study conducted by proponents of exercise have admitted that they see
no compelling evidence for exercise as a weight-loss tool. And it
makes sense if you throw out the calories in/calories out model of why
we get fat. If we're fat because our fat tissues are starving the rest
of our cells of fuel, exercise is just going to make us hungrier and
more tired, not leaner and more fit. (It's worth noting that according
to Taubes, in the 1930s obese patients were treated with bed rest.)

The main thrust of Taubes' argument, however, surrounds sugar and to a
lesser extent any carbohydrate. Insulin is the primary hormone that
fixes fat in the fat cells. This is why Type I diabetics lose weight:
they're not producing enough insulin. Since insulin is manufactured in
direct response to carbohydrates, if you don't eat them, you won't
have a mechanism by which to store fat. (Taubes notes that this
mechanism is not controversial; it simply hasn't had an impact on
nutrition policy.) Taubes argues that any success in standard diets
can be attributed directly to the dieter's reduced intake of
carbohydrates, especially sugars and particularly fructose.

Once the underlying cause of obesity is understood (hormone balance,
not gluttony/sloth) the recommendations on what to do about it are
surprisingly simple and therefore brief. This is a book about the
science of nutrition, not a diet book, but there is a list of
recommended foods in the Appendix. The book does not tell you how to
eat in a restaurant. But it does tell you that the issue isn't in your
brain, your willpower, your character, your job, your environment or
even (except to the extent that you're sensitive to carbohydrate) in
your genes. The problem with fat is in your fat cells.

For a lay audience, this book is as good as it gets if you want to
read actual science about health and nutrition. If you're of
scientific or technical bent, read Good Calories Bad Calories first,
then give Why We Get Fat to your parents.

http://www.amazon.com/Why-We-Get-Fat-About/dp/0307949435
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paleolithic_lifestyle
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paleolithic_diet

George Plimpton
2013-04-23 13:22:22 EST
On 4/23/2013 9:54 AM, Immortalist wrote:
> Why We Get Fat -...the main causes of fat buildup are

IS...the main cause of fat buildup is eating TOO MUCH FUCKING FOOD!

Kicking Ass And Taking Names
2013-04-23 14:31:45 EST
On Tue, 23 Apr 2013 10:22:22 -0700, George Plimpton <george@si.not>
wrote:

>On 4/23/2013 9:54 AM, Immortalist wrote:
>> Why We Get Fat -...the main causes of fat buildup are
>
>IS...the main cause of fat buildup is eating TOO MUCH FUCKING FOOD!

No shit!!!

Congratulations, George . . . you broke the code!!!

Sit around, punching the TV remote, stuffing your face and the next
thing you know, you can't move your lard-filled ass off the goddam
sofa.

But try telling that to any lardass fatboy you know. According to
them it's all genetics.

Tom Sr.
2013-04-23 14:43:17 EST
On Apr 23, 2:31 pm, Kicking Ass and Taking Names
<*.@hotmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, 23 Apr 2013 10:22:22 -0700, George Plimpton <geo...@si.not>
> wrote:
> >On 4/23/2013 9:54 AM, Immortalist wrote:
> >> Why We Get Fat -...the main causes of fat buildup are
> >IS...the main cause of fat buildup is eating TOO MUCH FUCKING FOOD!
> --
> No shit!!!
> Congratulations, George . . . you broke the code!!!
> Sit around, punching the TV remote, stuffing your face and the next
> thing you know, you can't move your lard-filled ass off the goddam
> sofa.

Eating Blue Bunny ice cream doesn't help either.

.

-----
-----
Please Note:

In select newsgroups my post will be followed by an out-of-date, cut-
and-paste, SHRIEKING ranting and raving post by Bob Milby Jr., aka
Patriot Games, aka Buster Norris, aka 10,000s of Sockpuppets -- Winner
of The alt.usenet.kooks Awards: Palmjob Paddle (July 2008)*, KO0k of
the Month (Sept. 2012)**, and the Order of the Holey Sockpuppet (Oct.
2012)!***

* This award is given to the person who gets spanked (as in,
thrashed) the most in a given month by other posters or even himself.
** Given to someone whose Kookery is judged to have surpassed all
others.
*** For those most prolific in the art of, abiet thinly,
disguising their net.presence behind whatever nose and glasses they
can concoct.

We hope to return you to more rational posting after this brief,
psychotic interruption.
------
------

Dare
2013-04-23 19:16:59 EST
"Immortalist" <reanimater_2000@yahoo.com> wrote in message

> That's right, this book advocates eating fat. Not just moderately, but
> as much fat as possible, up to 78% of calories. Not lean meats, not
> Jenny-O 99.6% fat-free turkey, not skinless chicken breasts, but lard.
> Yes, lard. The healthy way of eating, according to Taubes, is
> moderately high protein and high fat. Yes, high fat. About a 3:1 ratio
> of fat to protein, and almost no carbohydrates. (Telling people to eat
> a balanced diet containing carbohydrates is, he says, equivalent to
> telling smokers to include a balanced serving of cigarettes.) And he
> demonstrates exactly why a high-fat, low-carbohydrate diet is the most
> heart-healthy approach, as borne out by several dozen recent studies.

Lard?
Is " bad" (LDL) cholesterol a problem?
If humans are living much longer now than in
paleolithic days, seems there is more time for
for plaque build up in arteries.

Bret Cahill
2013-04-23 23:02:26 EST
> Why We Get Fat -...the main causes of fat buildup are foods that
> activate {[INSULIN]} not necessarily how much food is eaten. Once this
> stuff hits adipose tissue the cells open up spread Eagled and absorb
> fat in the blood that was before just happily passing them right by.

Americans are fat because time = money, fatty foods save time and
Americans are greedy.

I just swam a mile in 30:25 and tomorrow I'll regret it because I only
eat healthy foods which waste time.

I'll be in a hurry Wednesday and then have to stop to eat an entire
extra meal because I wanted to shave a minute or two from time in the
pool..

In fact I'm already hungry and pissed that I'm hungry.

I keep matso crackers in my truck because they save time. You can eat
those crackers while you drive and just brush off the crumbs.

Bret Cahill

George Plimpton
2013-04-24 01:58:28 EST
On 4/23/2013 8:02 PM, Bret Cahill wrote:
>> Why We Get Fat -...the main causes of fat buildup are foods that
>> activate {[INSULIN]} not necessarily how much food is eaten. Once this
>> stuff hits adipose tissue the cells open up spread Eagled and absorb
>> fat in the blood that was before just happily passing them right by.
>
> Americans are fat because

Bret Cahill, who notoriously lost a case against the US Dept of Labor
when he represented himself in a stupid lawsuit, is fat - and a fat fuck
- because it's the natural order of things.

Bret Cahill
2013-04-24 03:20:58 EST
> >> Why We Get Fat -...the main causes of fat buildup are foods that
> >> activate {[INSULIN]} not necessarily how much food is eaten. Once this
> >> stuff hits adipose tissue the cells open up spread Eagled and absorb
> >> fat in the blood that was before just happily passing them right by.
>
> > Americans are fat because
>
> Bret Cahill, who notoriously lost a case against the US Dept of Labor
> when he represented himself in a stupid lawsuit, is fat - and a fat fuck
> - because it's the natural order of things.

You're projecting.

In order to solve your weight problem you must first understand the
problem.

Americans are fat because time = money, fatty foods save time and
Americans are greedy.

Violating a half dozen of the 10 Commandments is nothing to be ashamed
of.

Just don't violate the Gipper's 11th Commandment.

Bret Cahill

Dare
2013-04-24 09:23:56 EST
"Bret Cahill" <Bret_E_Cahill@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:dcf0cf41-15a4-4534-9205-7dac5dded52f@ka6g2000pbb.googlegroups.com...
>> Why We Get Fat -...the main causes of fat buildup are foods that
>> activate {[INSULIN]} not necessarily how much food is eaten. Once this
>> stuff hits adipose tissue the cells open up spread Eagled and absorb
>> fat in the blood that was before just happily passing them right by.
>
> Americans are fat because time = money, fatty foods save time and
> Americans are greedy.
>
> I just swam a mile in 30:25 and tomorrow I'll regret it because I only
> eat healthy foods which waste time.
>
> I'll be in a hurry Wednesday and then have to stop to eat an entire
> extra meal because I wanted to shave a minute or two from time in the
> pool..
>
> In fact I'm already hungry and pissed that I'm hungry.
>
> I keep matso crackers in my truck because they save time. You can eat
> those crackers while you drive and just brush off the crumbs.

You could add some nuts or seeds for extra fat that would
keep you satisfied and not feeling hungry longer.
I get them in bulk on sale...you can freeze them for longer storage.
Sometimes I make nut butters with a food processor.
Walnut butter....wow....very good, but VERY high fat..
nutritional data (select appropriate serving size):
http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/nut-and-seed-products/3138/2

George Plimpton
2013-04-24 11:34:03 EST
On 4/24/2013 12:20 AM, Bret Cahill wrote:

>>> Americans are fat because
>>
>> Bret Cahill, who notoriously lost a case against the US Dept of Labor
>> when he represented himself in a stupid lawsuit, is fat - and a fat fuck
>> - because it's the natural order of things.
>
> You're projecting.

I'm describing you. You *did* lose a silly, doomed-to-fail case against
the Dept. of Labor, and you *did* stupidly act as your own lawyer in it.
You *are* a fat fuck, and that is the natural order of things.

> In order to solve your weight problem you must first understand the
> problem.

I don't have a weight problem.

> Americans are fat because time = money, fatty foods save time and
> Americans are greedy.

You have no insight into America's prevalence of obesity.