Vegetarian Discussion: Semi-vegetarian Lunch

Semi-vegetarian Lunch

George Plimpton
2013-04-15 16:31:20 EST
I bought a carton of Morningstar chipotle black bean "burgers" at Costco
yesterday, and I ate a couple of them for lunch today. They were pretty
good. They have black beans, corn (maize), chipotle peppers, brown
rice, egg whites and a bunch of seasoning. Apart from the small amount
of egg white, no animals "got to experience life" in order to make this
product. I don't really care about that. I imagine a few animals died
growing the black beans and corn, but I don't care about that, either.

https://www.morningstarfarms.com/products/burgers/chipotle-black-bean-burger

Casey
2013-04-15 16:41:43 EST
On Apr 16, 6:31 am, George Plimpton <geo...@si.not> wrote:
> I bought a carton of Morningstar chipotle black bean "burgers" at Costco
> yesterday, and I ate a couple of them for lunch today.  They were pretty
> good.  They have black beans, corn (maize), chipotle peppers, brown
> rice, egg whites and a bunch of seasoning.
>
> Apart from the small amount of egg white, no animals "got to
> experience life" in order to make this product.

Of course if we didn't eat cows and chickens they would never
have had a life to begin with. The important thing is they are
treated kindly and are given a good if short life. The reality is
that animals eat each other to live.

>  I don't really care about that.  I imagine a few animals died
> growing the black beans and corn, but I don't care about that, either.
>
> https://www.morningstarfarms.com/products/burgers/chipotle-black-bean...

George Plimpton
2013-04-15 16:51:36 EST
On 4/15/2013 1:41 PM, casey wrote:
> On Apr 16, 6:31 am, George Plimpton <geo...@si.not> wrote:
>> I bought a carton of Morningstar chipotle black bean "burgers" at Costco
>> yesterday, and I ate a couple of them for lunch today. They were pretty
>> good. They have black beans, corn (maize), chipotle peppers, brown
>> rice, egg whites and a bunch of seasoning.
>>
>> Apart from the small amount of egg white, no animals "got to
>> experience life" in order to make this product.
>
> Of course if we didn't eat cows and chickens they would never
> have had a life to begin with.

Correct. But if we didn't and they never existed, that wouldn't mean
anything. If the entire world became vegetarian and the demand for cows
and chickens and other meat-yielding livestock went to zero, and so no
more of them were bred, it is not as if the animal lives would be
"missing" from any ethical calculation. Livestock animals aren't bred
into existence because anyone thinks it's ethically good for animals to
exist and "get to experience life"; they're bred into existence only so
they can be consumed by humans.

> The important thing is they are
> treated kindly and are given a good if short life. The reality is
> that animals eat each other to live.

Concern for their welfare matters *only* if the animals exist. We do
not breed animals into existence in order to satisfy an innate need to
worry about the welfare of others.

>> I don't really care about that. I imagine a few animals died
>> growing the black beans and corn, but I don't care about that, either.
>>
>> https://www.morningstarfarms.com/products/burgers/chipotle-black-bean...

Casey
2013-04-15 17:57:24 EST
On Apr 16, 6:51 am, George Plimpton <geo...@si.not> wrote:
> On 4/15/2013 1:41 PM, casey wrote:
>
> > On Apr 16, 6:31 am, George Plimpton <geo...@si.not> wrote:
> >> I bought a carton of Morningstar chipotle black bean "burgers" at Costco
> >> yesterday, and I ate a couple of them for lunch today.  They were pretty
> >> good.  They have black beans, corn (maize), chipotle peppers, brown
> >> rice, egg whites and a bunch of seasoning.
>
> >>   Apart from the small amount of egg white, no animals "got to
> >> experience life" in order to make this product.
>
> > Of course if we didn't eat cows and chickens they would never
> > have had a life to begin with.
>
> Correct. But if we didn't and they never existed, that wouldn't mean
> anything.  If the entire world became vegetarian and the demand for cows
> and chickens and other meat-yielding livestock went to zero, and so no
> more of them were bred, it is not as if the animal lives would be
> "missing" from any ethical calculation.  Livestock animals aren't bred
> into existence because anyone thinks it's ethically good for animals to
> exist and "get to experience life"; they're bred into existence only so
> they can be consumed by humans.
>
> > The important thing is they are
> > treated kindly and are given a good if short life. The reality is
> > that animals eat each other to live.
>
> Concern for their welfare matters *only* if the animals exist.  We do
> not breed animals into existence in order to satisfy an innate need to
> worry about the welfare of others.

I have just noticed your other posts and now get where you are
coming from and take your point.

> >>   I don't really care about that.  I imagine a few animals died
> >> growing the black beans and corn, but I don't care about that, either.
>
> >>https://www.morningstarfarms.com/products/burgers/chipotle-black-bean...

Virgil
2013-04-15 19:15:17 EST
In article
<2e3227f4-ea5b-40e1-b384-dd71619e853e@id10g2000pbc.googlegroups.com>,
casey <jgkjcasey@yahoo.com.au> wrote:

> On Apr 16, 6:31\ufffdam, George Plimpton <geo...@si.not> wrote:
> > I bought a carton of Morningstar chipotle black bean "burgers" at Costco
> > yesterday, and I ate a couple of them for lunch today. \ufffdThey were pretty
> > good. \ufffdThey have black beans, corn (maize), chipotle peppers, brown
> > rice, egg whites and a bunch of seasoning.
> >
> >\ufffdApart from the small amount of egg white, no animals "got to
> > experience life" in order to make this product.
>
> Of course if we didn't eat cows and chickens they would never
> have had a life to begin with. The important thing is they are
> treated kindly and are given a good if short life. The reality is
> that animals eat each other to live.

Eat each other? Some animals eat other animals, but eat each other?
--

BruceS
2013-04-15 19:28:15 EST
On 04/15/2013 05:15 PM, Virgil wrote:
> In article
> <2e3227f4-ea5b-40e1-b384-dd71619e853e@id10g2000pbc.googlegroups.com>,
> casey <jgkjcasey@yahoo.com.au> wrote:
>
>> On Apr 16, 6:31 am, George Plimpton <geo...@si.not> wrote:
>>> I bought a carton of Morningstar chipotle black bean "burgers" at Costco
>>> yesterday, and I ate a couple of them for lunch today. They were pretty
>>> good. They have black beans, corn (maize), chipotle peppers, brown
>>> rice, egg whites and a bunch of seasoning.
>>>
>>> Apart from the small amount of egg white, no animals "got to
>>> experience life" in order to make this product.
>>
>> Of course if we didn't eat cows and chickens they would never
>> have had a life to begin with. The important thing is they are
>> treated kindly and are given a good if short life. The reality is
>> that animals eat each other to live.
>
> Eat each other? Some animals eat other animals, but eat each other?

One animal eating another animal would be "animals eating each other."
HTH. Of course, there are animals that eat other animals of the same
species. Very few animals eat themselves, so it's unclear why you're
(apparently) surprised at the idea of animals eating each other. Aside
from pure vegetarians, it's the way of the world---the beautiful cycle
of life.

Casey
2013-04-15 20:04:32 EST
On Apr 16, 9:15 am, Virgil <vir...@ligriv.com> wrote:
> In article
> <2e3227f4-ea5b-40e1-b384-dd71619e8...@id10g2000pbc.googlegroups.com>,
>
>  casey <jgkjca...@yahoo.com.au> wrote:
> > On Apr 16, 6:31 am, George Plimpton <geo...@si.not> wrote:
> > > I bought a carton of Morningstar chipotle black bean "burgers" at Costco
> > > yesterday, and I ate a couple of them for lunch today. They were pretty
> > > good. They have black beans, corn (maize), chipotle peppers, brown
> > > rice, egg whites and a bunch of seasoning.
>
> > > Apart from the small amount of egg white, no animals "got to
> > > experience life" in order to make this product.
>
> > Of course if we didn't eat cows and chickens they would never
> > have had a life to begin with. The important thing is they are
> > treated kindly and are given a good if short life. The reality is
> > that animals eat each other to live.
>
> Eat each other? Some animals eat other animals, but eat each other?
> --

There are good evolutionary reasons why species avoid eating
their own kind but it does happen. It isn't however what I was
thinking of when I wrote animals eat other animals. A better
wording would have been animals eat other animals.

Of course the molecules that make up our body have been
recycled many many times so you are made up of molecules
that have been part of creatures all the way back to the
start including humans.

Dhu On Gate
2013-04-15 23:43:11 EST
On Mon, 15 Apr 2013 13:31:20 -0700, George Plimpton wrote:

> I bought a carton of Morningstar chipotle black bean "burgers" at Costco
> yesterday, and I ate a couple of them for lunch today. They were pretty
> good. They have black beans, corn (maize), chipotle peppers, brown
> rice, egg whites and a bunch of seasoning. Apart from the small amount
> of egg white, no animals "got to experience life" in order to make this

?WTF are you on about now?

All the animals in the food chain,
including you and your gut bugs,
"got to experience life".

Dhu

> product. I don't really care about that. I imagine a few animals died
> growing the black beans and corn, but I don't care about that, either.
>
> https://www.morningstarfarms.com/products/burgers/chipotle-black-bean-burger

--
Ne obliviscaris, vix ea nostra voco.

George Plimpton
2013-04-16 01:46:03 EST
On 4/15/2013 8:43 PM, Dhu on Gate wrote:
> On Mon, 15 Apr 2013 13:31:20 -0700, George Plimpton wrote:
>
>> I bought a carton of Morningstar chipotle black bean "burgers" at Costco
>> yesterday, and I ate a couple of them for lunch today. They were pretty
>> good. They have black beans, corn (maize), chipotle peppers, brown
>> rice, egg whites and a bunch of seasoning. Apart from the small amount
>> of egg white, no animals "got to experience life" in order to make this
>
> ?WTF are you on about now?

Just trying to find a way to cause you to lose a few synapses. Looks
like it worked.

> All the animals in the food chain,
> including you and your gut bugs,
> "got to experience life".

Meaningless.

Mr.Smartypants
2013-04-16 01:58:27 EST
On Apr 15, 2:31 pm, George Plimpton <geo...@si.not> wrote:
> I bought a carton of Morningstar chipotle black bean "burgers" at Costco
> yesterday, and I ate a couple of them for lunch today.  They were pretty
> good.  They have black beans, corn (maize), chipotle peppers, brown
> rice, egg whites and a bunch of seasoning.  Apart from the small amount
> of egg white, no animals "got to experience life" in order to make this
> product.  I don't really care about that.  I imagine a few animals died
> growing the black beans and corn, but I don't care about that, either.
>
> https://www.morningstarfarms.com/products/burgers/chipotle-black-bean...

Was the corn GMO, Goobs?