Vegetarian Discussion: Always Put Quotes Around "vegan"

Always Put Quotes Around "vegan"

George Plimpton
2012-03-15 01:12:54 EST
It's just a hideously ugly fake word on its face, and the loathsome
ideas and false beliefs encapsulated in it are even more hideously ugly.

Mr.Smartypants
2012-03-15 12:00:35 EST
On Mar 14, 11:12 pm, George Plimpton <geo...@si.not> wrote:
> It's just a hideously ugly fake word on its face, and the loathsome
> ideas and false beliefs encapsulated in it are even more hideously ugly.

You're just jealous, Gooberdoodle.

Rupert
2012-03-17 04:05:41 EST
On Mar 15, 6:12=A0am, George Plimpton <geo...@si.not> wrote:
> It's just a hideously ugly fake word on its face, and the loathsome
> ideas and false beliefs encapsulated in it are even more hideously ugly.

What's ugly about the ideas involved in veganism?

George Plimpton
2012-03-17 10:50:07 EST
On 3/17/2012 1:05 AM, Rupert wrote:
> On Mar 15, 6:12 am, George Plimpton<geo...@si.not> wrote:
>> It's just a hideously ugly fake word on its face, and the loathsome
>> ideas and false beliefs encapsulated in it are even more hideously ugly.
>
> What's ugly about the ideas involved in veganism?

False morality is inherently ugly, especially when it involves self
exaltation and sanctimony.

Rupert
2012-03-17 11:33:32 EST
On Mar 17, 3:50 pm, George Plimpton <geo...@si.not> wrote:
> On 3/17/2012 1:05 AM, Rupert wrote:
>
> > On Mar 15, 6:12 am, George Plimpton<geo...@si.not>  wrote:
> >> It's just a hideously ugly fake word on its face, and the loathsome
> >> ideas and false beliefs encapsulated in it are even more hideously ugly.
>
> > What's ugly about the ideas involved in veganism?
>
> False morality is inherently ugly, especially when it involves self
> exaltation and sanctimony.

I don't believe that a desire to do something about animal suffering
is inherently ugly, and I don't believe that it involves self-
exaltation and sanctimony.

George Plimpton
2012-03-17 15:00:57 EST
On 3/17/2012 8:33 AM, Rupert wrote:
> On Mar 17, 3:50 pm, George Plimpton<geo...@si.not> wrote:

>>> What's ugly about the ideas involved in veganism?
>>
>> False morality is inherently ugly, especially when it involves self
>> exaltation and sanctimony.
>
> I don't believe that a desire to do something about animal suffering
> is inherently ugly, and

There isn't any such authentic desire. It's really all about the ego
and self-image of the so-called "vegan".

Dutch
2012-03-17 16:48:14 EST

"Rupert" <rupertmccallum@yahoo.com> wrote
> On Mar 17, 3:50 pm, George Plimpton <geo...@si.not> wrote:

>> > What's ugly about the ideas involved in veganism?
>>
>> False morality is inherently ugly, especially when it involves self
>> exaltation and sanctimony.
>
> I don't believe that a desire to do something about animal suffering
> is inherently ugly, and I don't believe that it involves self-
> exaltation and sanctimony.

This issue of collateral death and suffering does not exist in the conscious
awareness of the vast majority of vegans. When it is introduced to them, two
reactions outnumber all others by a wide margin, the first is denial, the
second is 'I'm still doing better than meat eaters'. Concern about the death
and suffering they just became aware of virtually never comes into it, and
certainly not anywhere near to the level of the concern they claim to have
for farmed animals. This is compelling evidence that veganism is primarily
about maintaining a holy image, by the implication that the diet and
lifestyles of most people is tantamount to barbarism. This is the ugly part,
there's almost a Muslim-like zeal to it.

Rupert
2012-03-17 18:33:21 EST
On Mar 17, 8:00 pm, George Plimpton <geo...@si.not> wrote:
> On 3/17/2012 8:33 AM, Rupert wrote:

> >> False morality is inherently ugly, especially when it involves self
> >> exaltation and sanctimony.
>
> > I don't believe that a desire to do something about animal suffering
> > is inherently ugly, and
>
> There isn't any such authentic desire.  It's really all about the ego
> and self-image of the so-called "vegan".

This belief of yours strikes me as irrational.

Rupert
2012-03-17 18:35:18 EST
On Mar 17, 9:48 pm, "Dutch" <n...@email.com> wrote:
> "Rupert" <rupertmccal...@yahoo.com> wrote

> >> False morality is inherently ugly, especially when it involves self
> >> exaltation and sanctimony.
>
> > I don't believe that a desire to do something about animal suffering
> > is inherently ugly, and I don't believe that it involves self-
> > exaltation and sanctimony.
>
> This issue of collateral death and suffering does not exist in the conscious
> awareness of the vast majority of vegans. When it is introduced to them, two
> reactions outnumber all others by a wide margin, the first is denial, the
> second is 'I'm still doing better than meat eaters'. Concern about the death
> and suffering they just became aware of virtually never comes into it, and
> certainly not anywhere near to the level of the concern they claim to have
> for farmed animals. This is compelling evidence that veganism is primarily
> about maintaining a holy image, by the implication that the diet and
> lifestyles of most people is tantamount to barbarism. This is the ugly part,
> there's almost a Muslim-like zeal to it.

I don't really have any way of knowing. You're presumably basing your
remarks on the usenet vegans you have met. I don't have any way of
knowing whether this says anything about the vegans I know. I also
don't know why I would care.

George Plimpton
2012-03-17 21:33:28 EST
On 3/17/2012 3:33 PM, Rupert wrote:
> On Mar 17, 8:00 pm, George Plimpton<geo...@si.not> wrote:

>>> I don't believe that a desire to do something about animal suffering
>>> is inherently ugly, and
>>
>> There isn't any such authentic desire. It's really all about the ego
>> and self-image of the so-called "vegan".
>
> This belief of yours strikes me as irrational.

No, it doesn't. You just say that to try to deflect attention from you
own ego gratification and self-exaltation.