Vegetarian Discussion: Anticipation In Worms?

Anticipation In Worms?

D*@.
2012-03-13 19:10:55 EST
I give my finches mealworms a few times a week, which I separate from their
litter with a colander. Usually the litter drops through and the worms remain,
but sometimes worms begin to descend through the holes. They never go the entire
way though until I touch them though, and then the faintest touch causes them to
go through the hole immediately, dropping to whatever awaits them below. Is it
possible that the worms being unable to touch the "ground" when they begin to
descend through the holes anticipate that something bad could happen if they
went through the hole, so they stop part way through? Then is it possible they
again anticipate that whatever touches them is a more real and threatening
danger than what possible danger they anticipate from going through the hole, so
they choose the danger which they anticipate to be less of a risk and/or less
real?

Mr.Smartypants
2012-03-14 02:06:42 EST
On Mar 13, 5:10 pm, dh@. wrote:
>     I give my finches mealworms a few times a week, which I separate from their
> litter with a colander. Usually the litter drops through and the worms remain,
> but sometimes worms begin to descend through the holes. They never go the entire
> way though until I touch them though, and then the faintest touch causes them to
> go through the hole immediately, dropping to whatever awaits them below. Is it
> possible that the worms being unable to touch the "ground" when they begin to
> descend through the holes anticipate that something bad could happen if they
> went through the hole, so they stop part way through? Then is it possible they
> again anticipate that whatever touches them is a more real and threatening
> danger than what possible danger they anticipate from going through the hole, so
> they choose the danger which they anticipate to be less of a risk and/or less
> real?

Only Gooberdoodle would think he believes he knows the answer to that.

Irfan Parmar
2012-03-14 08:05:44 EST
On Mar 14, 11:06 am, "Mr.Smartypants" <bunghole-jon...@lycos.com>
wrote:
> On Mar 13, 5:10 pm, dh@. wrote:
>
> >     I give my finches mealworms a few times a week, which I separate from their
> > litter with a colander. Usually the litter drops through and the worms remain,
> > but sometimes worms begin to descend through the holes. They never go the entire
> > way though until I touch them though, and then the faintest touch causes them to
> > go through the hole immediately, dropping to whatever awaits them below. Is it
> > possible that the worms being unable to touch the "ground" when they begin to
> > descend through the holes anticipate that something bad could happen if they
> > went through the hole, so they stop part way through? Then is it possible they
> > again anticipate that whatever touches them is a more real and threatening
> > danger than what possible danger they anticipate from going through the hole, so
> > they choose the danger which they anticipate to be less of a risk and/or less
> > real?
>
> Only Gooberdoodle would think he believes he knows the answer to that.

Irfan Parmar
2012-03-14 08:05:49 EST
On Mar 14, 4:10 am, dh@. wrote:
>     I give my finches mealworms a few times a week, which I separate from their
> litter with a colander. Usually the litter drops through and the worms remain,
> but sometimes worms begin to descend through the holes. They never go the entire
> way though until I touch them though, and then the faintest touch causes them to
> go through the hole immediately, dropping to whatever awaits them below. Is it
> possible that the worms being unable to touch the "ground" when they begin to
> descend through the holes anticipate that something bad could happen if they
> went through the hole, so they stop part way through? Then is it possible they
> again anticipate that whatever touches them is a more real and threatening
> danger than what possible danger they anticipate from going through the hole, so
> they choose the danger which they anticipate to be less of a risk and/or less
> real?

George Plimpton
2012-03-14 11:03:38 EST
On 3/13/2012 4:10 PM, dh@. wrote:
> I give my finches mealworms a few times a week, which [excruciating bullshit snipped]

Worms do not anticipate.

Mr.Smartypants
2012-03-14 13:58:46 EST
On Mar 14, 9:03 am, George Plimpton <geo...@si.not> wrote:
> On 3/13/2012 4:10 PM, dh@. wrote:
>
> >      I give my finches mealworms a few times a week, which [excruciating bullshit snipped]
>
> Worms do not anticipate.

I knew it! Only the Gooberdoodle would claim to know what mealworms
think.....or don't think.

Dutch
2012-03-14 15:38:15 EST
<*h@.> wrote in message news:ddkvl79rdh5k81jm90ngs9360podrdgicl@4ax.com...
> I give my finches mealworms a few times a week, which I separate from
> their
> litter with a colander. Usually the litter drops through and the worms
> remain,
> but sometimes worms begin to descend through the holes. They never go the
> entire
> way though until I touch them though, and then the faintest touch causes
> them to
> go through the hole immediately, dropping to whatever awaits them below.
> Is it
> possible that the worms being unable to touch the "ground" when they begin
> descend through the holes anticipate that something bad could happen if
> they
> went through the hole, so they stop part way through? Then is it possible
> they
> again anticipate that whatever touches them is a more real and threatening
> danger than what possible danger they anticipate from going through the
> hole, so
> they choose the danger which they anticipate to be less of a risk and/or
> less
> real?

Is it possible that there is a thriving colony of lunar rabbits living on
the dark side of the moon?

Pico Rico
2012-03-14 16:41:13 EST

"George Plimpton" <george@si.not> wrote in message
> On 3/13/2012 4:10 PM, dh@. wrote:
>> I give my finches mealworms a few times a week, which [excruciating
>> bullshit snipped]
>
> Worms do not anticipate.

the worms in congress anticipate the arrival of your hard earned money
before it arrives, and in quantities vastly exceeding what will arrive.

D*@.
2012-03-19 15:36:56 EST
On Wed, 14 Mar 2012 08:03:38 -0700, Goo wrote:

>On Tue, 13 Mar 2012 19:10:55 -0400, dh@. wrote:
>
>> I give my finches mealworms a few times a week, which I separate from their
>>litter with a colander. Usually the litter drops through and the worms remain,
>>but sometimes worms begin to descend through the holes. They never go the entire
>>way though until I touch them though, and then the faintest touch causes them to
>>go through the hole immediately, dropping to whatever awaits them below. Is it
>>possible that the worms being unable to touch the "ground" when they begin to
>>descend through the holes anticipate that something bad could happen if they
>>went through the hole, so they stop part way through? Then is it possible they
>>again anticipate that whatever touches them is a more real and threatening
>>danger than what possible danger they anticipate from going through the hole, so
>>they choose the danger which they anticipate to be less of a risk and/or less
>>real?
>
>Worms do not anticipate.

One of them hesitated longer than usual yesterday Goo. That probably means
he anticipated the danger associated with going through the hole longer than
most of them do before making the decision to go through. Not only thoughtful
anticipation Goob, but even more than the average worm.

D*@.
2012-03-19 15:37:00 EST
On Wed, 14 Mar 2012 13:41:13 -0700, "Pico Rico" <PicoRico@nonospam.com> wrote:

>"George Plimpton" <george@si.not> wrote in message
>> On 3/13/2012 4:10 PM, dh@. wrote:
>>> I give my finches mealworms a few times a week, which [excruciating
>>> bullshit snipped]
>>
>> Worms do not anticipate.
>>

>the worms in congress anticipate the arrival of your hard earned money
>before it arrives, and in quantities vastly exceeding what will arrive.

You can't really spray for them either, can you?