Vegetarian Discussion: FORKS OVER KNIVES

FORKS OVER KNIVES

And/or Www.mantra.com/jai Dr. Jai Maharaj
2011-09-05 20:06:30 EST
Forwarded post from B. V.

Forks over Knives

Monday, September 5, 2011

http://forksoverknives.com/

For more than 2,800 years, the concept of eating plants in their
whole-food form has struggled to be heard and adopted as a way of
life. However, recent evidence shows that more than ever a plant-
based diet is not something to be ignored. In fact, eating a plant-
based diet has become an urgent matter from several perspectives. Not
only will it improve your health -- and the evidence behind this
claim is now overwhelming -- but it will also dramatically reduce
health care costs, as well as reduce violence to our environment and
to other sentient beings.

The fact is our nation's economic stability, already crumbling due to
the repeated bursting of bubbles such as technology and housing, has
been hard hit by spiraling health costs that seem to have no end in
sight. Despite this, as a nation, we are sicker and fatter than we
have ever been. The epidemic of obesity and diabetes, especially in
the young, forecasts an economically unsustainable public health
challenge with the gloomy prophecy that today's children may not
outlive their parents.

Who will protect the public? Not our government: The U.S. Department
of Agriculture's nutrition pyramid is laden with food that will
guarantee millions will suffer ill health. Not the American Dietetic
Association, which is controlled by food corporations. Not the
insurance industry, which profits by selling plans to the sick. Not
the pharmaceutical industry, which pockets billions from chronic
illnesses. And not the medical profession, in which doctors and
nurses receive virtually no training in nutrition or behavioral
modification, and are handsomely rewarded for administrating drugs
and employing technical expertise.

What can save America is a plant-based diet, which will help
individuals recover their good health, and which in turn will set our
health care system right (as well as our economy). However, for this
plant-based diet to take hold, the public must be endowed with
nutritional literacy, the kind of knowledge that is portrayed in the
new documentary, "Forks Over Knives."

"Forks Over Knives" focuses not just on the research that both of us
have been engaged in over the last four decades, whether in China and
Cornell or at the Cleveland Clinic; it also traces the journey of
several Americans as they move from a lifetime of eating mostly
animal-based and processed foods to a whole food plant-based diet,
and the extraordinary medical results that follow. It is educational,
entertaining, and literally life-saving.

What if one simple change could save you from heart disease,
diabetes, and cancer? For decades, that question has fascinated a
small circle of impassioned doctors and researchers -- and now, their
life-changing research is making headlines in the hit documentary
Forks Over Knives. Their answer? Eat a whole-foods, plant-based diet
-- it could save your life. It may overturn most of the diet advice
you\ufffdve heard -- but the experts behind Forks Over Knives aren't
afraid to make waves. In his book Prevent and Reverse Heart Disease,
Dr. Caldwell Esselstyn explained that eating meat, dairy, and oils
injures the lining of our blood vessels, causing heart disease, heart
attack, or stroke. In The China Study, Dr. Colin Campbell revealed
how cancer and other diseases skyrocket when eating meat and dairy is
the norm -- and plummet when a traditional plant-based diet persists.
And more and more experts are adding their voices to the cause.

There is nothing else you can do for your health that can match the
benefits of a plant-based diet. Now, as Forks Over Knives is
introducing more people than ever before to the plant-based way to
health, this accessible guide provides the information you need to
adopt and maintain a plant-based diet. Features include: Insights
from the luminaries behind the film -- Dr. Neal Barnard, Dr. John
McDougall, The Engine 2 Diet author Rip Esselstyn, and many others...

Now, as 'Forks Over Knives' is introducing more people than ever
before to the plant-based way to health, this accessible guide
provides the information you need to adopt and maintain a plant-based
diet. Features include:

- Insights from the luminaries behind the film Dr. Neal Barnard, Dr.
John McDougall, The Engine 2 Diet author Rip Esselstyn, and many
others.

- Success stories from converts to plant-based eating -- like
San\ufffdDera Prude, who no longer needs to medicate her diabetes, has
lost weight, and\ufffd feels great!

- The many benefits of a whole-foods, plant-based diet for you, for
animals and the environment, and for our future

- A helpful primer on crafting a healthy diet rich in unprocessed
fruits, vegetables, legumes, and whole grains, including tips on
transitioning and essential kitchen tools.

-\ufffd125 recipes from 25 champions of plant-based dining -- from
Blueberry Oat Breakfast Muffins and Sunny Orange Yam Bisque to Garlic
Rosemary Polenta\ufffd and Raspberry-Pear Crisp -- delicious, healthy, and
for every meal, every\ufffdday.

Forks over Knives Videos:\ufffd\ufffd

http://www.forksoverknives.com/media/videos/

Trailer from Movie:

http://www.traileraddict.com/trailer/forkes-over-knives/trailer

Please see the documentary film\ufffd"Forks Over Knives." It could
transform your life in ways you never thought possible. And it may
just help start the seismic revolution in health care the world so
badly needs.

T. Colin Campbell, Ph.D.
Caldwell Esselstyn, Jr., M.D.

End of forwarded post from B. V.

Jai Maharaj, Jyotishi
Om Shanti

fair use of copyrighted works.

copyright owner.

Since newsgroup posts are being removed
by forgery by one or more net terrorists,
this post may be reposted several times.

H*@inderost.com
2011-09-06 10:30:23 EST
"For more than 2,800 years, the concept of eating plants in their
whole-food form has struggled to be heard and adopted as a way of life."

What a strange claim, why that time depth?

For as long as we can trace human diet into history people have eaten
whatever is to be found in their environment.

The eskimos ate mostly meat and thrived because plant foods did not
exist for them. Others ate mostly plant foods because that is what was
most abundant there and animal resources very scarce.

The most frequent pattern was a mixed diet as the environment allowed.
In more recent times extremes of poverty act in the same fashion. Most
ppeople living in poverty eat plant foods because of cost. They would
and do eat animal products when they can afford them.

The "whole" claim is strange also. Where plant based foods are some
part or mostly the diet the basic food from plants is highly modified.
Grain for example is ground and even with rice when used as an intact
grain it has many of the nutritional outer layers removed. Other parts
the nutritious of plants have peels removed and only selected parts are
eaten. The only "whole" diet would be someone eating the plant exactly
as it comes from the field and that is not the case generally.

This has the sound of a food political claim not a nutrition history or
real world practice one.

And/or Www.mantra.com/jai Dr. Jai Maharaj
2011-09-06 12:56:27 EST
Dr. Jai Maharaj posted:

> [...]
> animals and the environment, and for our future
>
> - A helpful primer on crafting a healthy diet rich in unprocessed
> fruits, vegetables, legumes, and whole grains, including tips on
> transitioning and essential kitchen tools.
>
> -\ufffd125 recipes from 25 champions of plant-based dining -- from
> Blueberry Oat Breakfast Muffins and Sunny Orange Yam Bisque to Garlic
> Rosemary Polenta\ufffd and Raspberry-Pear Crisp -- delicious, healthy, and
> for every meal, every\ufffdday.
>
> Forks over Knives Videos:\ufffd\ufffd
>
> http://www.forksoverknives.com/media/videos/
>
> Trailer from Movie:
>
> http://www.traileraddict.com/trailer/forkes-over-knives/trailer
>
> Please see the documentary film\ufffd"Forks Over Knives." It could
> transform your life in ways you never thought possible. And it may
> just help start the seismic revolution in health care the world so

"The feature film Forks Over Knives examines the profound claim that
most, if not all, of the degenerative diseases that afflict us can be
controlled, or even reversed, by rejecting our present menu of
animal-based and processed foods."

http://forksoverknives.com/
Jai Maharaj, Jyotishi
Om Shanti

Seum
2011-09-06 14:43:40 EST
Dr. Jai Maharaj wrote:
> [...]
>> Rosemary Polenta� and Raspberry-Pear Crisp -- delicious, healthy, and
>> for every meal, every�day.
>>
>> Forks over Knives Videos:��
>>
>> http://www.forksoverknives.com/media/videos/
>>
>> Trailer from Movie:
>>
>> http://www.traileraddict.com/trailer/forkes-over-knives/trailer
>>
>> Please see the documentary film�"Forks Over Knives." It could
>> transform your life in ways you never thought possible. And it may
>> just help start the seismic revolution in health care the world so
>> badly needs.
>>
>> T. Colin Campbell, Ph.D.
>> Caldwell Esselstyn, Jr., M.D.
>>
>> End of forwarded post from B. V.
>
> "The feature film Forks Over Knives examines the profound claim that
> most, if not all, of the degenerative diseases that afflict us can be
> controlled, or even reversed, by rejecting our present menu of

I haven't eaten meat or fish since 1972 and recently I find that I am
lacking some substitute for DHA. This can be made from fish and it is
not expensive, but making it from vegetables has a cost that is
ridiculously high.

Is there any alternative?

D*@.
2011-09-06 15:45:39 EST
On Tue, 06 Sep 2011 00:06:30 GMT, usenet@mantra.com and/or www.mantra.com/jai
(Dr. Jai Maharaj) wrote:

>Forwarded post from B. V.
>
>Forks over Knives
>
>Monday, September 5, 2011
>
>http://forksoverknives.com/
>
>For more than 2,800 years, the concept of eating plants in their
>whole-food form has struggled to be heard and adopted as a way of
>life. However, recent evidence shows that more than ever a plant-
>based diet is not something to be ignored. In fact, eating a plant-
>based diet has become an urgent matter from several perspectives. Not
>only will it improve your health -- and the evidence behind this
>claim is now overwhelming -- but it will also dramatically reduce
>health care costs, as well as reduce violence to our environment and
>to other sentient beings.

· Vegans contribute to the deaths of animals by their use of
to avoid the following items containing animal by-products
in order to be successful:

tires, paper, upholstery, floor waxes, glass, water
filters, rubber, fertilizer, antifreeze, ceramics, insecticides,
insulation, linoleum, plastic, textiles, blood factors, collagen,
heparin, insulin, solvents, biodegradable detergents, herbicides,
gelatin capsules, adhesive tape, laminated wood products,
plywood, paneling, wallpaper and wallpaper paste, cellophane
wrap and tape, abrasives, steel ball bearings

being vegan.
From the life and death of a thousand pound grass raised

And/or Www.mantra.com/jai Dr. Jai Maharaj
2011-09-07 15:24:07 EST
Dr. Jai Maharaj posted:

> [...]
> > Rosemary Polenta\ufffd and Raspberry-Pear Crisp -- delicious, healthy, and
> > for every meal, every\ufffdday.
> >
> > Forks over Knives Videos:\ufffd\ufffd
> >
> > http://www.forksoverknives.com/media/videos/
> >
> > Trailer from Movie:
> >
> > http://www.traileraddict.com/trailer/forkes-over-knives/trailer
> >
> > Please see the documentary film\ufffd"Forks Over Knives." It could
> > transform your life in ways you never thought possible. And it may
> > just help start the seismic revolution in health care the world so
> > badly needs.
> >
> > T. Colin Campbell, Ph.D.
> > Caldwell Esselstyn, Jr., M.D.
> >
> > End of forwarded post from B. V.
>
> "The feature film Forks Over Knives examines the profound claim that
> most, if not all, of the degenerative diseases that afflict us can be
> controlled, or even reversed, by rejecting our present menu of

CNN's Dr. Sanjay Gupta says Forks Over Knives is "A great film!" See
the tweet here:

http://twitter.com/#%21/sanjayguptaCNN/status/107997935572238336

Jai Maharaj, Jyotishi
Om Shanti

D*@.
2011-09-07 17:57:19 EST
On Tue, 06 Sep 2011 19:43:40 +0100, Seum <Seum@nowhere.con> wrote:

>I haven't eaten meat or fish since 1972 and recently I find that I am
>lacking some substitute for DHA. This can be made from fish and it is
>not expensive, but making it from vegetables has a cost that is
>ridiculously high.
>
>Is there any alternative?

Would there be any in grass raised beef? Then you would be helping yourself,
contributing to decent lives for livestock, and contributing to something that
works well for wildlife too. And at the same time contributing to less wildlife
deaths than you probably would by eating most grain products, and surely less
than by eating rice products. Or grass raised sheep or goat if you don't want to
eat beef...

Seum
2011-09-10 16:05:23 EST
dh@. wrote:
> On Tue, 06 Sep 2011 19:43:40 +0100, Seum <Seum@nowhere.con> wrote:
>
>> I haven't eaten meat or fish since 1972 and recently I find that I am
>> lacking some substitute for DHA. This can be made from fish and it is
>> not expensive, but making it from vegetables has a cost that is
>> ridiculously high.
>>
>> Is there any alternative?
>
> Would there be any in grass raised beef? Then you would be helping yourself,
> contributing to decent lives for livestock, and contributing to something that
> works well for wildlife too. And at the same time contributing to less wildlife
> deaths than you probably would by eating most grain products, and surely less
> than by eating rice products. Or grass raised sheep or goat if you don't want to
> eat beef...

You must be kidding. Livestock is polluting our atmosphere and poisoning
our streams and rivers. What we need is faaaaaar less livestock.

D*@.
2011-09-13 15:54:16 EST
On Sat, 10 Sep 2011 21:05:23 +0100, Seum <Seum@nowhere.con> wrote:

>*h@. wrote:
>> On Tue, 06 Sep 2011 19:43:40 +0100, Seum <Seum@nowhere.con> wrote:
>>
>>> I haven't eaten meat or fish since 1972 and recently I find that I am
>>> lacking some substitute for DHA. This can be made from fish and it is
>>> not expensive, but making it from vegetables has a cost that is
>>> ridiculously high.
>>>
>>> Is there any alternative?
>>
>> Would there be any in grass raised beef? Then you would be helping yourself,
>> contributing to decent lives for livestock, and contributing to something that
>> works well for wildlife too. And at the same time contributing to less wildlife
>> deaths than you probably would by eating most grain products, and surely less
>> than by eating rice products. Or grass raised sheep or goat if you don't want to
>> eat beef...
>
>You must be kidding.

What I pointed out is true, though some people might find such facts amusing
somehow.

>Livestock is polluting our atmosphere and poisoning
>our streams and rivers. What we need is faaaaaar less livestock.

Plowing and harrowing, treating with chemicals and harvesting etc large
areas of grain fields is much harder on the environment than cattle are by
eating grass. How can you be unaware of that?

Dutch
2011-09-13 21:47:34 EST

<*h@.> wrote in message news:47dv67578esv99c7lu8b4amr7iuqiftsju@4ax.com...
> On Sat, 10 Sep 2011 21:05:23 +0100, Seum <Seum@nowhere.con> wrote:
>
>>dh@. wrote:

>>> Would there be any in grass raised beef? Then you would be helping
>>> yourself,
>>> contributing to decent lives for livestock, and contributing to
>>> something that
>>> works well for wildlife too. And at the same time contributing to less
>>> wildlife
>>> deaths than you probably would by eating most grain products, and surely
>>> less
>>> than by eating rice products. Or grass raised sheep or goat if you don't
>>> want to
>>> eat beef...
>>
>>You must be kidding.
>
> What I pointed out is true, though some people might find such facts
> amusing
> somehow.
>
>>Livestock is polluting our atmosphere and poisoning
>>our streams and rivers. What we need is faaaaaar less livestock.
>
> Plowing and harrowing, treating with chemicals and harvesting etc large
> areas of grain fields is much harder on the environment than cattle are by
> eating grass. How can you be unaware of that?

You make some good points here. stick to them. The Logic of the Larder is
bullcrap.