Vegetarian Discussion: Reasons Why Hindus Don't Eat Meat

Reasons Why Hindus Don't Eat Meat

And/or Www.mantra.com/jai Dr. Jai Maharaj
2011-07-08 15:46:50 EST
Reasons Why Hindus Don't Eat Meat

Forwarded article from:
http://www.hinduismtoday.com

WHY HINDUS DON'T EAT MEAT

Besides being an expression of compassion
for animals, vegetarianism is followed for
ecological and health rationales

REASONS

In the past fifty years, millions of meat-eaters --
Hindus and non-Hindus -- have made the personal decision
to stop eating the flesh of other creatures. There are
five major motivations for such a decision:

1. The Dharmic Law Reason

Ahinsa, the law of noninjury, is the Hindu's first
duty in fulfilling religious obligations to God and God's
creation as defined by Vedic scripture.

2. The Karmic Consequences Reason

All of our actions, including our choice of food,
have Karmic consequences. By involving oneself in the
cycle of inflicting injury, pain and death, even
indirectly by eating other creatures, one must in the
future experience in equal measure the suffering caused.

3. The Spiritual Reason

Food is the source of the body's chemistry, and what
we ingest affects our consciousnes, emotions and
experiential patterns. If one wants to live in higher
consciousness, in peace and happiness and love for all
creatures, then he cannot eat meat, fish, shellfish, fowl
or eggs. By ingesting the grosser chemistries of animal
foods, one introduces into the body and mind anger,
jealousy, anxiety, suspicion and a terrible fear of
death, all of which are locked into the the flesh of the
butchered creatures. For these reasons, vegetarians live
in higher consciousness and meat-eaters abide in lower
consciousness.

4. The Health Reason

Medical studies prove that a vegetarian diet is
easier to digest, provides a wider ranger of nutrients
and imposes fewer burdens and impurities on the body.
Vegetarians are less susceptible to all the major
diseases that afflict contemporary humanity, and thus
live longer, healthier, more productive lives. They have
fewer physical complaints, less frequent visits to the
doctor, fewer dental problems and smaller medical bills.
Their immune system is stronger, their bodies are purer,
more refined and skin more beautiful.

5. The Ecological Reason

Planet Earth is suffereing. In large measure, the
escalating loss of species, destruction of ancient
rainforests to create pasture lands for live stock, loss
of topsoils and the consequent increase of water
impurities and air pollution have all been traced to the
single fact of meat in the human diet. No decision that
we can make as individuals or as a race can have such a
dramatic effect on the improvement of our planetary
ecology as the decision not to eat meat.

HISTORY

The book FOOD FOR THE SPIRIT, VEGETARIANISM AND THE WORLD
RELIGIONS, observes, "Despite popular knowledge of meat-
eating's adverse effects, the nonvegetarian diet became
increasingly widespread among the Hindus after the two
major invasions by foreign powers, first the Muslims and
later the British. With them came the desire to be
'civilized,' to eat as did the Saheeb. Those atually
trained in Vedic knowledge, however, never adopted a
meat-oriented diet, and the pious Hindu still observes
vegetarian principles as a matter of religious duty.

"That vegetarianism has always been widespread in
India is clear from the earliest Vedic texts. This was
observed by the ancient traveler Megasthenes and also by
Fa-Hsien, a Chinese Buddhist monk who, in the fifth
century, traveled to India in order to obtain authentic
copies of the scriptures.

"These scriptures unambiguously support the meatless
way of life. In the MAHABHARAT, for instance, the great
warrior Bheeshm explains to Yuddhishtira, eldest of the
Paandav princes, that the meat of animals is like the
flesh of one's own son. Similarly, the MANUSMRITI
declares that one should 'refrain from eating all kinds
of meat,' for such eating involves killing and and leads
to Karmic bondage (Bandh) [5.49]. Elsewhere in the Vedic
literature, the last of the great Vedic kings, Maharaja
Parikshit, is quoted as saying that 'only the animal-
killer cannot relish the message of the Absolute Truth
[Shrimad Bhagvatam 10.1.4].'"

SCRIPTURE

He who desires to augment his own flesh by eating
the flesh of other creatures lives in misery in whatever
species he may take his birth.
MAHABHARAT 115.47

Those high-souled persons who desire beauty,
faultlessness of limbs, long life, understanding, mental
and physical strength and memory should abstain from acts
of injury. MAHABHARAT 18.115.8

The very name of cow is Aghnya ["not to be killed"],
indicating that they should never be slaughtered. Who,
then could slay them? Surely, one who kills a cow or a
bull commits a heinous crime. MAHABHARAT, SHANTIPARV
262.47

The purchaser of flesh performs Hinsa (violence) by
his wealth; he who eats flesh does so by enjoying its
taste; the killer does Hinsa by actually tying and
killing the animal. Thus, there are three forms of
killing: he who brings flesh or sends for it, he who cuts
off the limbs of an animal, and he who purchases, sells
or cooks flesh and eats it -- all of these are to be
considered meat-eaters. MAHABHARAT, ANU 115.40

He who sees that the Lord of all is ever the same
in all that is -- immortal in the field of mortality --
he sees the truth. And when a man sees that the God in
himself is the same God in all that is, he hurts not
himself by hurting others. Then he goes, indeed, to the
highest path. BHAGVAD GEETA 13.27-28

Ahinsa is the highest Dharm. Ahinsa is the best
Tapas. Ahinsa is the greatest gift. Ahinsa is the
highest self-control. Ahinsa is the highest sacrifice.
Ahinsa is the highest power. Ahinsa is the highest
friend. Ahinsa is the highest truth. Ahinsa is the
highest teaching. MAHABHARAT 18.116.37-41

What is the good way? It is the path that reflects
on how it may avoid killing any creature. TIRUKURAL 324

All that lives will press palms together in
prayerful adoration of those who refuse to slaughter and
savor meat. TIRUKURAL 260

What is virtuous conduct? It is never destroting
life, for killing leads to every other sin. TIRUKURAL
312, 321

Goodness is never one with the minds of these two:
one who wields a weapon and one who feasts on a
creature's flesh. TIRUKURAL 253

End of forwarded article from:
http://www.hinduismtoday.com

Jai Maharaj, Jyotishi, Vedic Astrologer
Born and raised in a Hindu family in Varanasi, a vegetarian since birth
Om Shanti

fair use of copyrighted works.

copyright owner.

Since newsgroup posts are being removed
by forgery by one or more net terrorists,
this post may be reposted several times.

And/or Www.mantra.com/jai Dr. Jai Maharaj
2011-07-08 15:58:53 EST
In article <20c753a9-0f9e-4d37-9365-6cd4291fe929@x16g2000yqg.googlegroups.com>,
fanabba <fanabba@aol.com> posted:

> [...]
> highest teaching. MAHABHARAT 18.116.37-41
>
> What is the good way? It is the path that reflects
> on how it may avoid killing any creature. TIRUKURAL 324
>
> All that lives will press palms together in
> prayerful adoration of those who refuse to slaughter and
> savor meat. TIRUKURAL 260
>
> What is virtuous conduct? It is never destroting
> life, for killing leads to every other sin. TIRUKURAL
> 312, 321
>
> Goodness is never one with the minds of these two:
> one who wields a weapon and one who feasts on a
> creature's flesh. TIRUKURAL 253
>
> End of forwarded article from:
> http://www.hinduismtoday.com
>
> Jai Maharaj, Jyotishi, Vedic Astrologer
> Born and raised in a Hindu family in Varanasi, a vegetarian since birth
> Om Shanti
>

> The principles of Sanatan Dharm are profound in their wisdom !

Jai ho Sanatan Dharm kee!

Tributes to Hinduism

1. Mahatma Gandhi:

"Hinduism has made marvelous discoveries in things of
religion, of the spirit, of the soul. We have no eye for
these great and fine discoveries. We are dazzled by the
material progress that western science has made. Ancient
India has survived because Hinduism was not developed
along material but spiritual lines.

"India is to me the dearest country in the world, because
I have discovered goodness in it. It has been subject to
foreign rule, it is true. But the status of a slave is
preferable to that of a slave holder."

2. Henry David Thoreau:

"In the morning I bathe my intellect in the stupendous
and cosmogonal philosophy of the Bhagavad Gita in
comparison with which our modern world and its literature
seems puny.

"What extracts from the Vedas I have read fall on me like
the light of a higher and purer luminary, which describes
a loftier course through purer stratum. It rises on me
like the full moon after the stars have come out, wading
through some far stratum in the sky."

3. Arthur Schopenhauer:

"In the whole world there is no study so beneficial and
so elevating as that of the Upanishads. It has been the
solace of my life -- it will be the solace of my death."

4. Ralph Waldo Emerson said this about the Gita:

"I owed a magnificent day to the Bhagavad Gita. It was as
if an empire spoke to us, nothing small or unworthy, but
large, serene, consistent, the voice of an old
intelligence which in another age and climate had
pondered and thus disposed of the same questions which
exercise us."

The famous poem "Brahm" is an example of his Vedanta
ecstasy.

5. Wilhelm von Humboldt pronounced the Gita as:

"The most beautiful, perhaps the only true philosophical
song existing in any known tongue ... perhaps the deepest
and loftiest thing the world has to show."

6. Lord Warren Hastings, the Governor General, was very
much impressed with Hindu philosophy:

"The writers of the Indian philosophies will survive,
when the British dominion in India shall long have ceased
to exist, and when the sources which it yielded of wealth
and power are lost to remembrances."

7. Mark Twain:

"So far as I am able to judge, nothing has been left
undone, either by man or nature, to make India the most
extraordinary country that the sun visits on his rounds.
Nothing seems to have been forgotten, nothing overlooked.

"Land of religions, cradle of human race, birthplace of
human speech, grandmother of legend, great grandmother of
tradition. The land that all men desire to see and having
seen once even by a glimpse, would not give that glimpse
for the shows of the rest of the globe combined."

8. Rudyard Kipling to Fundamental Christian Missionaries:

"Now it is not good for the Christian's health to hustle
the Hindu brown for the Christian riles and the Hindu
smiles and weareth the Christian down; and the end of the
fight is a tombstone while with the name of the late
deceased and the epitaph drear, "A fool lies here who
tried to hustle the east".

9. Jules Michelet, a French historian, said:

"At its starting point in India, the birthplace of races
and religions, the womb of the world." This is what he
said of the Raamyana in 1864: "Whoever has done or willed
too much let him drink from this deep cup a long draught
of life and youth .. . Everything is narrow in the West -
- Greece is small and I stifle; Judea is dry and I pant.
Let me look toward lofty Asia, and the profound East for
a little while. There lies my great poem, as vast as the
Indian ocean, blessed, gilded with the sun, the book of
divine harmony wherein is no dissonance. A serene peace
reigns there, and in the midst of conflict an infinite
sweetness, a boundless fraternity, which spreads over all
living things, an ocean (without bottom or bound) of
love, of pity, of clemency."

10. Shri Aurobindo:

"Hinduism.....gave itself no name, because it set itself
no sectarian limits; it claimed no universal adhesion,
asserted no sole infallible dogma, set up no single
narrow path or gate of salvation; it was less a creed or
cult than a continuously enlarging tradition of the
Godward endeavor of the human spirit. An immense many-
sided and many staged provision for a spiritual self-
building and self-finding, it had some right to speak of
itself by the only name it knew, the eternal religion,
sanaatan dharm...."

11. Will Durant would like the West to learn from India,
tolerance and gentleness and love for all living things:

"Perhaps in return for conquest, arrogance and
spoliation, India will teach us the tolerance and
gentleness of the mature mind, the quiet content of the
unacquisitive soul, the calm of the understanding spirit,
and a unifying, a pacifying love for all living things."

12. Joseph Campbell:

"It is ironic that our great western civilization, which
has opened to the minds of all mankind the infinite
wonders of a universe of untold billions of galaxies
should be saddled with the tightest little cosmological
image known to mankind? The Hindus with their grandiose
Kalpas and their ideas of the divine power which is
beyond all human category (male or female). Not so alien
to the imagery of modern science that it could not have
been put to acceptable use.

"There is an important difference between the Hindu and
the Western ideas. In the Biblical tradition, God creates
man, but man cannot say that he is divine in the same
sense that the Creator is, where as in Hinduism, all
things are incarnations of that power. We are the sparks
from a single fire. And we are all fire. Hinduism
believes in the omnipresence of the Supreme God in every
individual. There is no 'fall'. Man is not cut off from
the divine. He requires only to bring the spontaneous
activity of his mind stuff to a state of stillness and he
will experience that divine principle with him."

13. Sir Monier-Williams:

The Hindus, according to him, were Spinozists more than
2,000 years before the advent of Spinoza, and Darwinians
many centuries before Darwin and Evolutionists many
centuries before the doctrine of Evolution was accepted
by scientists of the present age.

14. Carl Sagan, (the late scientist), asserts that the
dance of Nataraj signifies the cycle of evolution and
destruction of the cosmic universe (Big Bang Theory). "It
is the clearest image of the activity of God which any
art or religion can boast of."

15. Sarvepalli Radhakrishnan, a professor of Eastern
Religions at Oxford and later President of India:

"Hinduism is not just a faith. It is the union of reason
and intuition that cannot be defined but is only to be
experienced. Evil and error are not ultimate. There is no
Hell, for that means there is a place where God is not,
and there are sins which exceed his love."

Jai Maharaj, Jyotishi
Om Shanti

Fanabba
2011-07-08 16:08:37 EST
On Jul 8, 3:58 pm, use...@mantra.com and/or www.mantra.com/jai (Dr.
Jai Maharaj) wrote:
> [...]
> and power are lost to remembrances."
>
> 7. Mark Twain:
>
> "So far as I am able to judge, nothing has been left
> undone, either by man or nature, to make India the most
> extraordinary country that the sun visits on his rounds.
> Nothing seems to have been forgotten, nothing overlooked.
>
> "Land of religions, cradle of human race, birthplace of
> human speech, grandmother of legend, great grandmother of
> tradition. The land that all men desire to see and having
> seen once even by a glimpse, would not give that glimpse
> for the shows of the rest of the globe combined."
>
> 8. Rudyard Kipling to Fundamental Christian Missionaries:
>
> "Now it is not good for the Christian's health to hustle
> the Hindu brown for the Christian riles and the Hindu
> smiles and weareth the Christian down; and the end of the
> fight is a tombstone while with the name of the ...

Dhanyavaad for your seva to Sanatan Dharm !

P. Rajah
2011-07-08 16:45:02 EST
Eating MEAT as PER HINDU VEDAS / MAHABHARATA
By Muktak Joshi

HINDU SCRIPTURES ALLOW NON-VEGETARIAN FOODSome Hindus think that it is
against their religion to have non-vegetarian food But the fact is that
the Hindu scriptures permit a person to have meat The scripture mentions
sages and saints having meat. Hindu scriptures clearly mention that
there is nothing wrong in having meat.It is mentioned in Manu Smruti,
the law book of Hindus!

In chapter 5 verse 30 “The eater who eats the flesh of those to be eaten
does nothing bad! even if he does it day after day; for God himself
created some to be eaten and some to be eater”Again next verse of Manu
Smruti that is; chapter 5 verse 31 says “Eating meat is right for the
sacrifice, this is traditionally known as a rule of the gods”Further in
Manu Smruti chapter 5 verse 39 and 40 says “God himself created
sacrificial animals for sacrifice… therefore killing in a sacrifice is
not killing.”Manu Smruti even narrates the supremacy of killing animals
in sacrifice it is mentioned in chapter 5 verse 42 “A twice born (a
Brahmin) who knows the true meaning of Vedas and injures sacrificial
animals for CORRECT PURPOSES cause both himself and the animal to go to
the highest level of existence”.

Among the Hindu scriptures Vedas are considered as most ancient and most
sacred. We find mentioning of non-vegetarian food in Vedas too it is
mentioned in Rig-Veda book 10 Hymn 27 verse 2 “Then will I, when I lead
my friends to battle against the radiant persons of godless, prepare for
thee at home a vigorous bullock, and pour for thee the fifteen fold
strong juices”Again in RigVeda book 10 Hymn 28 verse 3 it says “0 Indra,
Bulls they dress for thee, and of these (meat) thou eatest when
Maghavan, with food thou art invited”. In Rig veda Book 10 Hymn 86 verse
13 says “indra will eat thy bulls, thy dear oblation that effecteth
much. Supreme is Indra over all”These verses indicates that Indra, a god
of vedic age, used to eat meat.Also another god of vedic age, Agni, is
referred to as “flesh-eater’ in vedas.

More: http://veeaar.com/archives/136

--
Astrology: Fraud or Superstition?
http://www.seesharppress.com/astro.html

Ass-troll-ogers/jyotishitheads are the bane of humanity, and must be
cleansed or otherwise purified for the benefit of society.

http://www.nowpublic.com/world/vhp-terrorism

H*@inderome.com
2011-07-08 16:49:29 EST

" In the past fifty years, millions of meat-eaters --
Hindus and non-Hindus -- have made the personal decision"

So which is it, hindus eat meat or they don't?

P. Rajah
2011-07-08 17:01:33 EST
There is a myth that the invading Muslim rulers introduced Indians to
eating beef. But it is clear from the Vedas and other ancient
scriptures that Indians did eat beef thousands of years before Islam
reached India. According to the Vedas Lord Indra ate bulls meat and
Lord Agni ate bulls meat and also cow meat. Vedas also talk about 250
animals of which 50 are deemed fit for sacrifice and human consumption
including the cow. The Charaka Samhita (ancient Indian Ayurvedic text)
prescribes beef (and beef soup) as a medicine for curing diseases such
as fever. For more on this subject please read “Holy Cow: Beef in
Indian Dietary Traditions” by Professor Dwijendra Narayan Jha.

The voice of the majority works differently in politics when compared to
other issues like individual rights. In politics the majority rule but
not so in other areas. The resolution passed by the MCD cannot override
the individual rights of the citizens of Delhi or the Indian athletes
who will be attending the Commonwealth Games. They may want to eat beef
which is not illegal in India (only cow slaughtering is illegal in
certain states).

I always believed that the more religious you are the less you know
about your religion. Organizations like the BJP, VHP and RSS act as if
they are the guardians of the Hindu religion. But time and time again
they have failed to educate the public on what Hinduism really is and
its history. Even at their peak, BJP has failed to capture the
imagination of a large number of people (particularly in the South and
Northeast). Some of their policies, like their opposition to eating
beef show that the BJP is nothing but a regional Hindu party from the
“cow belt”. They do not have a national perspective.

More:
http://indiafirsthand.com/2010/01/14/no-beef-during-commonwealth-games-in-delhi/

--
Astrology: Fraud or Superstition?
http://www.seesharppress.com/astro.html

Ass-troll-ogers/jyotishitheads are the bane of humanity, and must be
cleansed or otherwise purified for the benefit of society.

http://www.nowpublic.com/world/vhp-terrorism

And/or Www.mantra.com/jai Dr. Jai Maharaj
2011-07-08 17:03:59 EST
In article <ac7b893f-aad0-4689-bc0b-5d3dcc5fdfec@o4g2000vbv.googlegroups.com>,
> [...]
> >
> > "So far as I am able to judge, nothing has been left
> > undone, either by man or nature, to make India the most
> > extraordinary country that the sun visits on his rounds.
> > Nothing seems to have been forgotten, nothing overlooked.
> >
> > "Land of religions, cradle of human race, birthplace of
> > human speech, grandmother of legend, great grandmother of
> > tradition. The land that all men desire to see and having
> > seen once even by a glimpse, would not give that glimpse
> > for the shows of the rest of the globe combined."
> >
> > 8. Rudyard Kipling to Fundamental Christian Missionaries:
> >
> > "Now it is not good for the Christian's health to hustle
> > the Hindu brown for the Christian riles and the Hindu
> > smiles and weareth the Christian down; and the end of the
> > fight is a tombstone while with the name of the ...
> >
> > read more...
>
> Dhanyavaad for your seva to Sanatan Dharm !

And dhanyavaad for your sevaa to Sanatan Dharm!

A previous post:

Chapter 43: T he Meat-Free Life

Five Reasons to Be a Vegetarian & Ten Arguments Against Eating Meat

Download:

http://hinduismtoday.com/modules/wfdownloads/singlefile.php?cid=30&lid=69

More at:

Hinduism Today
http://www.hinduismtoday.com

Jai Maharaj, Jyotishi
Om Shanti

And/or Www.mantra.com/jai Dr. Jai Maharaj
2011-07-08 18:03:18 EST
Dr. Jai Maharaj posted:

> [...]
> > >
> > > "Land of religions, cradle of human race, birthplace of
> > > human speech, grandmother of legend, great grandmother of
> > > tradition. The land that all men desire to see and having
> > > seen once even by a glimpse, would not give that glimpse
> > > for the shows of the rest of the globe combined."
> > >
> > > 8. Rudyard Kipling to Fundamental Christian Missionaries:
> > >
> > > "Now it is not good for the Christian's health to hustle
> > > the Hindu brown for the Christian riles and the Hindu
> > > smiles and weareth the Christian down; and the end of the
> > > fight is a tombstone while with the name of the ...
> > >
> > > read more...
> >
> > Dhanyavaad for your seva to Sanatan Dharm !
>
> And dhanyavaad for your sevaa to Sanatan Dharm!
>
> A previous post:
>
> Chapter 43: T he Meat-Free Life

> Five Reasons to Be a Vegetarian & Ten Arguments Against Eating Meat

Another previous post:

Health Benefits of Being a Vegetarian

http://www.vegetarian-restaurants.net

According to studies, vegetarians have better health than
people that eat meat. They have lower rates of coronary
artery disease, gallstones, cancer (particularly lung and
colon cancer), kidney stones, colon disease, diabetes and
high blood pressure. It has been shown that sometimes a
vegetarian diet can help cure these diseases. A vegetarian
is also less likely to be overweight than a non-vegetarian.

In 1961, the Journal of the American Medical Association
stated that ninety to ninety-seven percent of heart
disease, the cause of more than half the deaths in the
United States, could be prevented by a vegetarian diet.

The American Heart Association report states, "In well-
documented population studies using standard methods of
diet and coronary disease assessment\ufffdevidence suggests that
a high-saturated-fat diet is an essential factor for a high
incidence of coronary heart disease."

In 1990, the British Medical Journal Lancet reported on a
study by Dr Dean Ornish of the University of California. Dr
Ornish found that a vegetarian diet reversed clogging of
the arteries in patients with serious heart disease.

In 1990, Dr Walter Willet, who conducted a study of diet
and colon cancer, said, "If you step back and look at the
data, the optimum amount of red meat you eat should be
zero."

The National Academy of Science reported in 1983 that
"people may be able to prevent many common cancers by
eating less fatty meats and more vegetables and grain."

The USDA recommends that people reduce saturated fat and
cholesterol, which are in high amounts in animal products,
and low in vegetarian diets.

In his Notes on the Causation of Cancer, Rollo Russell
writes, "I have found of twenty-five nations eating flesh
largely, nineteen had a high cancer rate and only one had a
low rate, and that of thirty-five nations eating little or
no flesh, none had a high rate."

Various studies have shown that vegetarians have lower
blood pressure than non-vegetarians.

Vegetarians have much lower cholesterol levels than people
that eat meat. Heart disease is found much less in
vegetarians. Studies have also shown that vegetarians have
up to half the cancer rate than those of non-vegetarians.
Cases of breast cancer are much lower in countries that
have low meat diets.

Vegetarians eat more antioxidants such as vitamin C,
vitamin E, beta-carotenes and phytochemicals.
Phyotochemicals are components in plants that help to
prevent disease. Antioxidants decrease the chance of
getting heart disease, cancer and other diseases.

Eating red meat increases the chance of dying from cancer
of the breast and colon, heart disease and strokes. Meat
eaters have much higher rates of cancer than vegetarians.
Cancer and cardiovascular diseases are linked to diets with
a high amount of saturated fat (meat) and with a low amount
of fiber (meat).

Animal products are high in sodium, which causes the blood
to retain water and also causes plaque to build up in the
arteries, lowering the flow of blood, which are major
causes of high blood pressure.

According to a study done in England for 12 years of 5,015
meat eaters and 6,115 vegetarians, it was found that
vegetarians had 40% less chance of getting cancer.

According to William Castelli, MD, director of the
Framingham Heart Study, vegetarians live three to six years
longer than meat eaters. He said, "vegetarians have the
best diet. They have the lowest rate of coronary disease of
any group in the country and they have a fraction of our
heart attack rate and they have only 40% of our cancer
rate."

Grains and plant foods contain fiber, while animal products
contain almost none. Because fiber is necessary for proper
stool production, lack of proper fiber accounts for
societies with meat-based diets to have higher cases of
colon cancer. The main reasons why people need to take
laxatives is because of lack of fiber in their diet and not
drinking enough water.

There were guidelines published in Circulation: Journal of
the American Heart Association (AHA). These guidelines were
compiled by members of the AHA's Nutrition Committee with
the cooperation of the American Cancer Society, National
Institutes of Health, and the American Academy of
Pediatrics.

Richard J Deckelbaum, MD, a co-author of the journal
article, is a professor of nutrition at Columbia University
and a member of the AHA Nutrition Committee. Edward A
Fisher, MD, PhD, a co-author of the article, is director of
lipoprotein research at New York's Mount Sinai
Cardiovascular Institute.

Their recommendations are that a healthy diet consists of
getting 30% of total calories from fat and no more than 10%
of total calories from saturated fat, and 55% of total
calories should come from complex carbohydrates such as
grains, cereals, vegetables and fruits. It is also
recommended that a person eat only enough calories to
maintain their body weight. Problems come from eating too
much fat, especially saturated fats from meat and eggs,
eating too many calories, and getting too much calories
from salt and sugar.

Because people in the US eat good amounts of meat,
Americans eat five times as much protein as is recommended.
An excess of protein can leach calcium from the bones,
which is major cause of bone disorder.

It is important to get enough leafy vegetables that are
high in antioxidants, which are good for overall health.

Some Important Guidelines

1 Eat a variety of foods.
2 Mainly eat foods from plant sources.
3 Don't eat too much salt or sugar.
4 Eat at least six servings of grains, breads and pastas.
5 Eat at least five servings of vegetables and fruits.
6 Avoid foods high in fat, especially those coming from
animal sources.

Source -
http://www.vegetarian-restaurants.net/OtherInfo/HealthBenefit.htm

Visit the Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine
for excellent food recommendations:

http://www.pcrm.org

Jai Maharaj, Jyotishi
Om Shanti

fair use of copyrighted works.

copyright owner.

Since newsgroup posts are being removed
by forgery by one or more net terrorists,
this post may be reposted several times.

P. Rajah
2011-07-09 08:21:05 EST

http://www.i-mockery.com/meatatarian/hitler.jpg

--
Astrology: Fraud or Superstition?
http://www.seesharppress.com/astro.html

Ass-troll-ogers/jyotishitheads are the bane of humanity, and must be
cleansed or otherwise purified for the benefit of society.

http://www.nowpublic.com/world/vhp-terrorism

And/or Www.mantra.com/jai Dr. Jai Maharaj
2011-07-10 01:33:44 EST
Dr. Jai Maharaj posted:

> [...]
> 2,000 years before the advent of Spinoza, and Darwinians
> many centuries before Darwin and Evolutionists many
> centuries before the doctrine of Evolution was accepted
> by scientists of the present age.
>
> 14. Carl Sagan, (the late scientist), asserts that the
> dance of Nataraj signifies the cycle of evolution and
> destruction of the cosmic universe (Big Bang Theory). "It
> is the clearest image of the activity of God which any
> art or religion can boast of."
>
> 15. Sarvepalli Radhakrishnan, a professor of Eastern
> Religions at Oxford and later President of India:
>
> "Hinduism is not just a faith. It is the union of reason
> and intuition that cannot be defined but is only to be
> experienced. Evil and error are not ultimate. There is no
> Hell, for that means there is a place where God is not,
> and there are sins which exceed his love."

Eating Meat Wastes Our Resources

When it comes to resource and energy wastage, meat
products are a class by themselves.

Scientists compute the energy costs of foods by the value
of the raw materials consumed in the production of that
food. Frances Moore Lappe reports:

A detailed 1978 study sponsored by the Department of
Interior and Commerce produced startling figures showing
that the value of raw materials consumed to produce food
from livestock is greater than the value of all oil, gas,
and coal consumed in this country.

The same study revealed the equally startling fact that
the production of meats, dairy products and eggs accounts
for one-third of the total amount of all raw materials
used for all purposes in the United States.

In contrast, growing grains, vegetables and fruits for
direct human consumprion is a model of efficiency, using
less than 5% the raw material consumption as does the
production of meat.

Another way scientists compute the energy costs of
various foods is to assess the amount of fossil fuel
needed to produce them. An American scientist, David
Pimental, calculates that if the whole world were to eat
according to wasteful U.S. agricultural practices, the
planet's entire petroleum reserves would be exhausted in
13 years.

- "Raw Materials in the United States Economy 1900-1977"
Technical paper 47, Vivian Spencer, U.S. Department of
Commerce, Bureau of Mines, pg 3
- Lappe, F.M., "Diet For A Small Planet" Ballantine
Books, New York, 1982, Tenth Anniversary Edition
- Robbins, John, "Diet For A New America" Stillpoint
Publishing, Walpole, N.H., 1987
- Reid, J.T., "Comparative Efficiency of Animals in the
Conversion of Feedstuffs to Human Foods" Confinement,
April 1976, pg. 23
- Hur, Robin and Fields, David; "How Meat Robs America
of its Energy," Vegetarian Times, April 1985