Vegetarian Discussion: FORESIGHT Pease Pudding Is NOT Vegetarian

FORESIGHT Pease Pudding Is NOT Vegetarian

Page: 1 2 3 4   Next  (First | Last)

Cutlass
2010-12-01 17:54:43 EST
Much to my disappointment PEASE PUDDING made by FORESIGHT (HL Foods)
is NOT vegetarian despite it being made of yellow peas. The problem is
it is soaked in ham stock. That's the bad news.

Good news is
PEASE PUDDING PUTS FAMILY BUSINESS ON THE FOOD MAP
15/04/2010

A family business in Durham is putting a regional delicacy firmly on
the food map thanks to its partnership with premium discounter Aldi.
A family business in Durham is putting a regional delicacy firmly on
the food map thanks to its partnership with premium discounter Aldi.

Durham Foods Limited supplies 8,000 tubs each week of traditional
North East product ‘Pease Pudding’ to 43 Aldi stores across Aldi’s
Darlington region.

Pease pudding, which has been around for centuries in different
guises, is light yellow in colour and mainly consists of split peas.
It has a mild taste and is similar in texture to hummus. It was
traditionally served with a bacon or ham joint but is now used as a
salad accompaniment, a vegetable spread or in a ham sandwich.

Founded in 1978, Durham Foods employs 16 staff and is run by the
Hamilton family - Alan Senior, Alan Junior and grand-daughter
Ainsleigh who recently joined the business.

The business has reported a steady increase in sales of pease pudding
during the past 18 months as consumers have been looking for
versatility and value.

Alan Hamilton Junior said: “When the company first started, pease
pudding production was limited to domestic kitchens and small
butchers, which is where we used to purchase it from.

“As it grew in popularity, my father [Alan Senior] decided to make his
own pease pudding recipe. He didn’t use bacon or ham stock and
therefore made pease pudding suitable for vegetarians for the first
time.

“We originally started our relationship with Aldi supplying around
2,000 individual tubs a week; we’re now up to 8,000. In addition,
we’re seeing more and more enquiries for it from further afield so are
hoping for this success to continue.”

A spokesperson for Aldi said: “Durham Foods Limited is a fantastic
family company and an important part of our valued supplier network.
Local suppliers are important to Aldi and we are delighted to have
helped their business grow.”

To find your nearest Aldi store that stocks Durham Foods Limited’s
‘Pease Pudding’ visit www.aldi.co.uk or contact customer services on
0844 406 8800.
- Ends -

Cutlass
2010-12-01 18:00:03 EST
On Wed, 01 Dec 2010 22:54:43 +0000, Cutlass <pace@msn.com> wrote:

>Much to my disappointment PEASE PUDDING made by FORESIGHT (HL Foods)
>is NOT vegetarian despite it being made of yellow peas. The problem is
>it is soaked in ham stock. That's the bad news.
>
>Good news is
>PEASE PUDDING PUTS FAMILY BUSINESS ON THE FOOD MAP
>15/04/2010
>
>A family business in Durham is putting a regional delicacy firmly on
>the food map thanks to its partnership with premium discounter Aldi.
>A family business in Durham is putting a regional delicacy firmly on
>the food map thanks to its partnership with premium discounter Aldi.
>
>Durham Foods Limited supplies 8,000 tubs each week of traditional
>North East product ‘Pease Pudding’ to 43 Aldi stores across Aldi’s
>Darlington region.
>
>Pease pudding, which has been around for centuries in different
>guises, is light yellow in colour and mainly consists of split peas.
>It has a mild taste and is similar in texture to hummus. It was
>traditionally served with a bacon or ham joint but is now used as a
>salad accompaniment, a vegetable spread or in a ham sandwich.
>
>Founded in 1978, Durham Foods employs 16 staff and is run by the
>Hamilton family - Alan Senior, Alan Junior and grand-daughter
>Ainsleigh who recently joined the business.
>
>The business has reported a steady increase in sales of pease pudding
>during the past 18 months as consumers have been looking for
>versatility and value.
>
>Alan Hamilton Junior said: “When the company first started, pease
>pudding production was limited to domestic kitchens and small
>butchers, which is where we used to purchase it from.
>
>“As it grew in popularity, my father [Alan Senior] decided to make his
>own pease pudding recipe. He didn’t use bacon or ham stock and
>therefore made pease pudding suitable for vegetarians for the first
>time.
>
>“We originally started our relationship with Aldi supplying around
>2,000 individual tubs a week; we’re now up to 8,000. In addition,
>we’re seeing more and more enquiries for it from further afield so are
>hoping for this success to continue.”
>
>A spokesperson for Aldi said: “Durham Foods Limited is a fantastic
>family company and an important part of our valued supplier network.
>Local suppliers are important to Aldi and we are delighted to have
>helped their business grow.”
>
>To find your nearest Aldi store that stocks Durham Foods Limited’s
>‘Pease Pudding’ visit www.aldi.co.uk or contact customer services on
>0844 406 8800.
>- Ends -

PS: I guess the moral of the story is if it doesn't say suitable for
vegetarian/vegan then it's NOT! just checked my Tesco and there is no
V sign, so I should have known to check everything.

Truman Kaputt
2010-12-01 18:00:11 EST
On 12/1/2010 2:54 PM, Cutlass wrote:
> Much to my disappointment PEASE PUDDING made by FORESIGHT (HL Foods)
> is NOT vegetarian despite it being made of yellow peas. The problem is
> it is soaked in ham stock. That's the bad news.

The worse news is that you probably were eating the stuff for years
before you could bother your lazy arse to check. This is always the
problem with 'vegans': laziness, and too willing to operate on lazy and
wrong assumptions.

> Good news is
> PEASE PUDDING PUTS FAMILY BUSINESS ON THE FOOD MAP
> 15/04/2010
>
> A family business in Durham is putting a regional delicacy firmly on
> the food map thanks to its partnership with premium discounter Aldi.
> A family business in Durham is putting a regional delicacy firmly on
> the food map thanks to its partnership with premium discounter Aldi.
>
> Durham Foods Limited supplies 8,000 tubs each week of traditional
> North East product ‘Pease Pudding’ to 43 Aldi stores across Aldi’s
> Darlington region.
>
> Pease pudding, which has been around for centuries in different
> guises, is light yellow in colour and mainly consists of split peas.
> It has a mild taste and is similar in texture to hummus. It was
> traditionally served with a bacon or ham joint but is now used as a
> salad accompaniment, a vegetable spread or in a ham sandwich.
>
> Founded in 1978, Durham Foods employs 16 staff and is run by the
> Hamilton family - Alan Senior, Alan Junior and grand-daughter
> Ainsleigh who recently joined the business.
>
> The business has reported a steady increase in sales of pease pudding
> during the past 18 months as consumers have been looking for
> versatility and value.
>
> Alan Hamilton Junior said: “When the company first started, pease
> pudding production was limited to domestic kitchens and small
> butchers, which is where we used to purchase it from.
>
> “As it grew in popularity, my father [Alan Senior] decided to make his
> own pease pudding recipe. He didn’t use bacon or ham stock and
> therefore made pease pudding suitable for vegetarians for the first
> time.
>
> “We originally started our relationship with Aldi supplying around
> 2,000 individual tubs a week; we’re now up to 8,000. In addition,
> we’re seeing more and more enquiries for it from further afield so are
> hoping for this success to continue.”
>
> A spokesperson for Aldi said: “Durham Foods Limited is a fantastic
> family company and an important part of our valued supplier network.
> Local suppliers are important to Aldi and we are delighted to have
> helped their business grow.”
>
> To find your nearest Aldi store that stocks Durham Foods Limited’s
> ‘Pease Pudding’ visit www.aldi.co.uk or contact customer services on
> 0844 406 8800.
> - Ends -

Truman Kaputt
2010-12-01 18:01:06 EST
On 12/1/2010 3:00 PM, Cutlass wrote:
> On Wed, 01 Dec 2010 22:54:43 +0000, Cutlass<pace@msn.com> wrote:
>
>> [...]
>>

> PS: I guess the moral of the story is if it doesn't say suitable for
> vegetarian/vegan then it's NOT! just checked my Tesco and there is no
> V sign, so I should have known to check everything.

But you *didn't* check, for years. 'Vegans' are lazy.

Cutlass
2010-12-01 18:02:33 EST
On Wed, 01 Dec 2010 15:00:11 -0800, Truman Kaputt
<*r@grave.in.hell> wrote:

>On 12/1/2010 2:54 PM, Cutlass wrote:
>> Much to my disappointment PEASE PUDDING made by FORESIGHT (HL Foods)
>> is NOT vegetarian despite it being made of yellow peas. The problem is
>> it is soaked in ham stock. That's the bad news.
>
>The worse news is that you probably were eating the stuff for years
>before you could bother your lazy arse to check. This is always the
>problem with 'vegans': laziness, and too willing to operate on lazy and
>wrong assumptions.

Actually not. The label clearly states the ingredients as yellow peas,
salt, water and spices. In fact now you mention it I'm sure the ASA
would require they list ham stock as an ingredient as well, must check
that one out.

>> Good news is
>> PEASE PUDDING PUTS FAMILY BUSINESS ON THE FOOD MAP
>> 15/04/2010
>>
>> A family business in Durham is putting a regional delicacy firmly on
>> the food map thanks to its partnership with premium discounter Aldi.
>> A family business in Durham is putting a regional delicacy firmly on
>> the food map thanks to its partnership with premium discounter Aldi.
>>
>> Durham Foods Limited supplies 8,000 tubs each week of traditional
>> North East product ‘Pease Pudding’ to 43 Aldi stores across Aldi’s
>> Darlington region.
>>
>> Pease pudding, which has been around for centuries in different
>> guises, is light yellow in colour and mainly consists of split peas.
>> It has a mild taste and is similar in texture to hummus. It was
>> traditionally served with a bacon or ham joint but is now used as a
>> salad accompaniment, a vegetable spread or in a ham sandwich.
>>
>> Founded in 1978, Durham Foods employs 16 staff and is run by the
>> Hamilton family - Alan Senior, Alan Junior and grand-daughter
>> Ainsleigh who recently joined the business.
>>
>> The business has reported a steady increase in sales of pease pudding
>> during the past 18 months as consumers have been looking for
>> versatility and value.
>>
>> Alan Hamilton Junior said: “When the company first started, pease
>> pudding production was limited to domestic kitchens and small
>> butchers, which is where we used to purchase it from.
>>
>> “As it grew in popularity, my father [Alan Senior] decided to make his
>> own pease pudding recipe. He didn’t use bacon or ham stock and
>> therefore made pease pudding suitable for vegetarians for the first
>> time.
>>
>> “We originally started our relationship with Aldi supplying around
>> 2,000 individual tubs a week; we’re now up to 8,000. In addition,
>> we’re seeing more and more enquiries for it from further afield so are
>> hoping for this success to continue.”
>>
>> A spokesperson for Aldi said: “Durham Foods Limited is a fantastic
>> family company and an important part of our valued supplier network.
>> Local suppliers are important to Aldi and we are delighted to have
>> helped their business grow.”
>>
>> To find your nearest Aldi store that stocks Durham Foods Limited’s
>> ‘Pease Pudding’ visit www.aldi.co.uk or contact customer services on
>> 0844 406 8800.
>> - Ends -

Christina Websell
2010-12-01 18:06:40 EST

"Cutlass" <pace@msn.com> wrote in message
> Much to my disappointment PEASE PUDDING made by FORESIGHT (HL Foods)
> is NOT vegetarian despite it being made of yellow peas. The problem is
> it is soaked in ham stock. That's the bad news.

Are you a Brit? If so you'd know this. Pease pudding is yellow peas boiled
in ham stock (with some variations)
It's delicious.. I was married to a Geordie so I know all about pease
pudding ( and stotties, and tabs and netties..)

Jane Gillett
2010-12-02 03:16:00 EST
In article <J4idnWA9bKUoTmvRnZ2dnUVZ_uaknZ2d@earthlink.com>,
Truman Kaputt <dead.queer@grave.in.hell> wrote:
> On 12/1/2010 3:00 PM, Cutlass wrote:
> > On Wed, 01 Dec 2010 22:54:43 +0000, Cutlass<pace@msn.com> wrote:
> >
> >> [...]
> >>

> > PS: I guess the moral of the story is if it doesn't say suitable for
> > vegetarian/vegan then it's NOT! just checked my Tesco and there is no
> > V sign, so I should have known to check everything.

> But you *didn't* check, for years. 'Vegans' are lazy.

If you stick to vegan food for years, ie no meat based products at all,
does your digestive system change so that you could no longer digest
meat-stuffs? Often wondered...

Jane

--

Jane Gillett : j.gillett@higherstert.co.uk : Totnes, Devon.

Sacha
2010-12-02 05:16:07 EST
On 2010-12-02 08:16:00 +0000, Jane Gillett <j.gillett@higherstert.co.uk> said:

> In article <J4idnWA9bKUoTmvRnZ2dnUVZ_uaknZ2d@earthlink.com>,
> Truman Kaputt <dead.queer@grave.in.hell> wrote:

>>> PS: I guess the moral of the story is if it doesn't say suitable for
>>> vegetarian/vegan then it's NOT! just checked my Tesco and there is no
>>> V sign, so I should have known to check everything.
>
>> But you *didn't* check, for years. 'Vegans' are lazy.
>
> If you stick to vegan food for years, ie no meat based products at all,
> does your digestive system change so that you could no longer digest
> meat-stuffs? Often wondered...
>
> Jane

One vegetarian of about 20 years standing was told by his doc to start
eating meat. His own stomach acids were destroying his stomach lining,
apparently.
--
Sacha

Mark
2010-12-02 05:38:22 EST
X-No-Archive:Yes

"Sacha" <sacha@nowhere.com> wrote in message
> On 2010-12-02 08:16:00 +0000, Jane Gillett <j.gillett@higherstert.co.uk>
> said:
>
>> In article <J4idnWA9bKUoTmvRnZ2dnUVZ_uaknZ2d@earthlink.com>,
>> Truman Kaputt <dead.queer@grave.in.hell> wrote:

>>> But you *didn't* check, for years. 'Vegans' are lazy.
>>
>> If you stick to vegan food for years, ie no meat based products at all,
>> does your digestive system change so that you could no longer digest
>> meat-stuffs? Often wondered...
>>
>> Jane
>
> One vegetarian of about 20 years standing was told by his doc to start
> eating meat. His own stomach acids were destroying his stomach lining,
> apparently.

That's interesting..... what is it about meat eating that keeps the acid
levels down in the stomach..?

mark

Truman Kaputt
2010-12-02 09:27:56 EST
On 12/2/2010 12:16 AM, Jane Gillett wrote:
> In article<J4idnWA9bKUoTmvRnZ2dnUVZ_uaknZ2d@earthlink.com>,
> Truman Kaputt<dead.queer@grave.in.hell> wrote:

>>> PS: I guess the moral of the story is if it doesn't say suitable for
>>> vegetarian/vegan then it's NOT! just checked my Tesco and there is no
>>> V sign, so I should have known to check everything.
>
>> But you *didn't* check, for years. 'Vegans' are lazy.
>
> If you stick to vegan food for years, ie no meat based products at all,
> does your digestive system change so that you could no longer digest
> meat-stuffs? Often wondered...

No, it doesn't.
Page: 1 2 3 4   Next  (First | Last)