Vegetarian Discussion: Fat Goes Viral - Weight Gain Spreads Through Social Networks, Almost Like The Flu

Fat Goes Viral - Weight Gain Spreads Through Social Networks, Almost Like The Flu
Posts: 6

Report Abuse

Use this form to report abuse or request takedown.
The requests are usually processed within 48 hours.

Page: 1   (First | Last)

Immortalist
2010-11-04 22:04:48 EST
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/40015155/ns/health-diet_and_nutrition/

"the more non-obese people an obese person comes into contact with,
the greater the chance those people will become obese"

...obese people have the potential to create a ripple effect among
their non-obese peers, Hill said. That's because the more non-obese
people an obese person comes into contact with, the greater the chance
those people will become obese.

Hill and her colleagues based their findings on a model of obesity's
spread through social networks, which was similar to models used to
trace the spread of infectious diseases like the flu.

"Data suggests the dynamics are the same for obesity, even if the
mechanisms are different," she said.

The researchers found the obesity rate is affected by three factors:
person-to-person contact through social networks, personal factors
like diet and exercise, and the rate at which obese people lose
weight.

Although obesity can't actually spread like an infectious disease,
contact with other obese people does influence the likelihood of
becoming obese yourself, Hill said.

After analyzing 40 years of data from 7,500 people in the Framingham
Heart Study, researchers found the average person has a 2 percent
chance of becoming obese in any given year, due to personal factors
such as an unhealthy diet or lack of exercise. That chance increases
by 0.5 percent for every obese family member, friend or coworker a
person has regular contact with, Hill said.

An obese person has a 4 percent chance of losing enough weight to no
longer be considered obese in any given year, the study said.

"Maybe it's mimicking behavior or adopting similar lifestyles, or
changing what you consider to be a normal and acceptable weight for
yourself based on the weight of people around you," Hill said. "It's
most likely to be some social influence."...

2010-11-04 23:27:06 EST
On Nov 5, 10:04 am, Immortalist <reanimater_2...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/40015155/ns/health-diet_and_nutrition/
>
> "the more non-obese people an obese person comes into contact with,
> the greater the chance those people will become obese"
>
> ...obese people have the potential to create a ripple effect among
> their non-obese peers, Hill said. That's because the more non-obese
> people an obese person comes into contact with, the greater the chance
> those people will become obese.
>
> Hill and her colleagues based their findings on a model of obesity's
> spread through social networks, which was similar to models used to
> trace the spread of infectious diseases like the flu.
>
> "Data suggests the dynamics are the same for obesity, even if the
> mechanisms are different," she said.
>
> The researchers found the obesity rate is affected by three factors:
> person-to-person contact through social networks, personal factors
> like diet and exercise, and the rate at which obese people lose
> weight.
>
> Although obesity can't actually spread like an infectious disease,
> contact with other obese people does influence the likelihood of
> becoming obese yourself, Hill said.
>
> After analyzing 40 years of data from 7,500 people in the Framingham
> Heart Study, researchers found the average person has a 2 percent
> chance of becoming obese in any given year, due to personal factors
> such as an unhealthy diet or lack of exercise. That chance increases
> by 0.5 percent for every obese family member, friend or coworker a
> person has regular contact with, Hill said.
>
> An obese person has a 4 percent chance of losing enough weight to no
> longer be considered obese in any given year, the study said.
>
> "Maybe it's mimicking behavior or adopting similar lifestyles, or
> changing what you consider to be a normal and acceptable weight for
> yourself based on the weight of people around you," Hill said. "It's
> most likely to be some social influence."...

All such trends come down to one common factor. Are you willing to be
a member of the herd, or to 'go your own way'.

BOfL

Bareback Insane O'bungler
2010-11-05 20:14:55 EST
On Nov 4, 10:04 pm, Immortalist <reanimater_2...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> http://www.msnbc.msn.com/iLOL!!!

> "the more non-obese people an obese person comes into contact with,
> the greater the chance those people will become obese"
>

Better get that skinny, purple lipped, lying sissy
away from his silverback first lady...
her ass has its' own congressional district.

Don Stockbauer
2010-11-05 23:03:21 EST
On Nov 5, 7:14 pm, "Bareback Insane O'bungler"
<*.@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Nov 4, 10:04 pm, Immortalist <reanimater_2...@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
> >http://www.msnbc.msn.com/iLOL!!!
> > "the more non-obese people an obese person comes into contact with,
> > the greater the chance those people will become obese"
>
> Better get that skinny, purple lipped, lying sissy
> away from his silverback first lady...
> her ass has its' own congressional district.

Usenet at its best.

Immortalist
2010-11-05 23:59:37 EST
On Nov 5, 8:03 pm, Don Stockbauer <donstockba...@hotmail.com> wrote:
> On Nov 5, 7:14 pm, "Bareback Insane O'bungler"
>
> <barebackinsaneobung...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > On Nov 4, 10:04 pm, Immortalist <reanimater_2...@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
> > >http://www.msnbc.msn.com/iLOL!!!
> > > "the more non-obese people an obese person comes into contact with,
> > > the greater the chance those people will become obese"
>
> > Better get that skinny, purple lipped, lying sissy
> > away from his silverback first lady...
> > her ass has its' own congressional district.
>
> Usenet at its best.

I think he is a drunk who sometimes eats shit.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0hBSGEzpw-8

Bareback Insane O'bungler
2010-11-06 18:28:38 EST
On Nov 5, 11:59 pm, Immortalist <reanimater_2...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> On Nov 5, 8:03 pm, Don Stockbauer <donstockba...@hotmail.com> wrote:
>
> > On Nov 5, 7:14 pm, "Bareback Insane O'bungler"
>
> > <barebackinsaneobung...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > > On Nov 4, 10:04 pm, Immortalist <reanimater_2...@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
> > > >http://www.msnbc.msn.com/iLOL!!!
> > > > "the more non-obese people an obese person comes into contact with,
> > > > the greater the chance those people will become obese"
>
> > > Better get that skinny, purple lipped, lying sissy
> > > away from his silverback first lady...
> > > her ass has its' own congressional district.
>
> > Usenet at its best.
>
> I think [drool]

stop lying, shit-eater.
Page: 1   (First | Last)


2020 - UsenetArchives.com | Contact Us | Privacy | Stats | Site Search
Become our Patron