Vegetarian Discussion: Humans Eating Meat 1,000,000 Years Earlier Than Thought

Humans Eating Meat 1,000,000 Years Earlier Than Thought
Posts: 6

Report Abuse

Use this form to report abuse or request takedown.
The requests are usually processed within 48 hours.

Page: 1   (First | Last)

Richard Leakey IV
2010-08-11 15:30:20 EST
Humans are meat eaters, *_and_always_have_been_*.

"Fossils unearthed in Ethiopia indicate human ancestors were using
tools to cut meat away from bones about 3.4 million years ago, a
million years earlier than previously thought."

http://www.latimes.com/news/science/la-sci-bone-tools-20100812,0,6329393.story

"This type of behavior sent us down a path that later would
lead to two of the defining features of our species -- carnivory
and tool manufacture and use," Dr. Shannon McPherron,
archeologist with the Dikika Research Project in Ethiopia and
the Max Planck Institute for Evolutionary Anthropology in
Leipzig, Germany, said in a statement.

Meat eating is a "defining feature" of the human species. Scientists,
as opposed to shrill food Nazis, have no doubt about it.


Funkenstein
2010-08-16 02:56:43 EST
On Aug 11, 9:30 pm, Richard Leakey IV <notgen...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> Humans are meat eaters, *_and_always_have_been_*.
>
> "Fossils unearthed in Ethiopia indicate human ancestors were using
> tools to cut meat away from bones about 3.4 million years ago, a
> million years earlier than previously thought."
>
> http://www.latimes.com/news/science/la-sci-bone-tools-20100812,0,6329...
>
>    "This type of behavior sent us down a path that later would
>    lead to two of the defining features of our species -- carnivory
>    and tool manufacture and use," Dr. Shannon McPherron,
>    archeologist with the Dikika Research Project in Ethiopia and
>    the Max Planck Institute for Evolutionary Anthropology in
>    Leipzig, Germany, said in a statement.
>
> Meat eating is a "defining feature" of the human species.  Scientists,
> as opposed to shrill food Nazis, have no doubt about it.


(Meat) Eating is a "defining feature" of all animals.
Not one animal can avoid having some animal protein in the diet.

So, who are the food Nazis? The ones from Leipzig?

Richard Leakey IV
2010-08-17 00:23:31 EST
On Aug 15, 11:56 pm, funkenstein <luke.s...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Aug 11, 9:30 pm, Richard Leakey IV <notgen...@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
>
>
> > Humans are meat eaters, *_and_always_have_been_*.
>
> > "Fossils unearthed in Ethiopia indicate human ancestors were using
> > tools to cut meat away from bones about 3.4 million years ago, a
> > million years earlier than previously thought."
>
> >http://www.latimes.com/news/science/la-sci-bone-tools-20100812,0,6329...
>
> >    "This type of behavior sent us down a path that later would
> >    lead to two of the defining features of our species -- carnivory
> >    and tool manufacture and use," Dr. Shannon McPherron,
> >    archeologist with the Dikika Research Project in Ethiopia and
> >    the Max Planck Institute for Evolutionary Anthropology in
> >    Leipzig, Germany, said in a statement.
>
> > Meat eating is a "defining feature" of the human species.  Scientists,
> > as opposed to shrill food Nazis, have no doubt about it.
>
> (Meat) Eating is a "defining feature" of all animals.

Eating meat, in particular, is a defining characteristic of humans.
Many so-called vegans try to dispute that, but they're wrong. The
vast majority of humans, at all times and places in human history,
have eaten meat.


> Not one animal can avoid having some animal protein in the diet.
>
> So, who are the food Nazis?   The ones from Leipzig?

The food Nazis are anyone who wants to impose food doctrine on
others. Vegans are food Nazis.

Humans eat meat. A minuscule minority of humans may choose not to eat
meat, and as long as they don't attempt to force their choice on
others, they're entitled to do as they wish. Their rationale for not
eating meat, of course, is abject nonsense.

Funkenstein
2010-08-17 07:20:02 EST
On Aug 17, 6:23 am, Richard Leakey IV <notgen...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> On Aug 15, 11:56 pm, funkenstein <luke.s...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>
>
> > On Aug 11, 9:30 pm, Richard Leakey IV <notgen...@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
> > > Humans are meat eaters, *_and_always_have_been_*.
>
> > > "Fossils unearthed in Ethiopia indicate human ancestors were using
> > > tools to cut meat away from bones about 3.4 million years ago, a
> > > million years earlier than previously thought."
>
> > >http://www.latimes.com/news/science/la-sci-bone-tools-20100812,0,6329...
>
> > >    "This type of behavior sent us down a path that later would
> > >    lead to two of the defining features of our species -- carnivory
> > >    and tool manufacture and use," Dr. Shannon McPherron,
> > >    archeologist with the Dikika Research Project in Ethiopia and
> > >    the Max Planck Institute for Evolutionary Anthropology in
> > >    Leipzig, Germany, said in a statement.
>
> > > Meat eating is a "defining feature" of the human species.  Scientists,
> > > as opposed to shrill food Nazis, have no doubt about it.
>
> > (Meat) Eating is a "defining feature" of all animals.
>
> Eating meat, in particular, is a defining characteristic of humans.
> Many so-called vegans try to dispute that, but they're wrong.  The
> vast majority of humans, at all times and places in human history,
> have eaten meat.

Not just all humans, but all animals have eaten meat.
The only difference is what percentage of the diet is in animal
proteins.


>
> > Not one animal can avoid having some animal protein in the diet.
>
> > So, who are the food Nazis?   The ones from Leipzig?
>
> The food Nazis are anyone who wants to impose food doctrine on
> others.  Vegans are food Nazis.


You are trying to impose food doctrine on us here, right?
I prefer vegetarian dishes.. why don't you let me order them in
peace? :)


>
> Humans eat meat.  A minuscule minority of humans may choose not to eat
> meat, and as long as they don't attempt to force their choice on
> others, they're entitled to do as they wish.  Their rationale for not
> eating meat, of course, is abject nonsense.


All humans eat meat. It is virtually impossible to filter out all
animal protein from food, and even if you could there would still be
insects that make it to your gut.

Bon appetit


Richard Leakey IV
2010-08-17 23:57:55 EST
On Aug 17, 4:20 am, funkenstein <luke.s...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Aug 17, 6:23 am, Richard Leakey IV <notgen...@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
>
>
> > On Aug 15, 11:56 pm, funkenstein <luke.s...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > > On Aug 11, 9:30 pm, Richard Leakey IV <notgen...@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
> > > > Humans are meat eaters, *_and_always_have_been_*.
>
> > > > "Fossils unearthed in Ethiopia indicate human ancestors were using
> > > > tools to cut meat away from bones about 3.4 million years ago, a
> > > > million years earlier than previously thought."
>
> > > >http://www.latimes.com/news/science/la-sci-bone-tools-20100812,0,6329...
>
> > > >    "This type of behavior sent us down a path that later would
> > > >    lead to two of the defining features of our species -- carnivory
> > > >    and tool manufacture and use," Dr. Shannon McPherron,
> > > >    archeologist with the Dikika Research Project in Ethiopia and
> > > >    the Max Planck Institute for Evolutionary Anthropology in
> > > >    Leipzig, Germany, said in a statement.
>
> > > > Meat eating is a "defining feature" of the human species.  Scientists,
> > > > as opposed to shrill food Nazis, have no doubt about it.
>
> > > (Meat) Eating is a "defining feature" of all animals.
>
> > Eating meat, in particular, is a defining characteristic of humans.
> > Many so-called vegans try to dispute that, but they're wrong.  The
> > vast majority of humans, at all times and places in human history,
> > have eaten meat.
>
> Not just all humans, but all animals have eaten meat.
> The only difference is what percentage of the diet is in animal
> proteins.

The percentage of the human diet that is accounted for by animal flesh
has always been high - at all times and in all places.

It is false to suggest that "all animals" have eaten meat. Ruminants
may ingest some minute amount of insects on grasses and other leaves
they eat, but they don't seek them out, and they are not a significant
part of their caloric intake. Humans *do* seek out meat, and always
have. Meat has always been a preferred part of the human diet, at all
times and in all places. Meat consumption, as the scientists know, is
a defining characteristic of the human diet. It is not a defining
characteristic of grazing ruminants' diets.

>
>
>
> > > Not one animal can avoid having some animal protein in the diet.
>
> > > So, who are the food Nazis?   The ones from Leipzig?
>
> > The food Nazis are anyone who wants to impose food doctrine on
> > others.  Vegans are food Nazis.
>
> You are trying to impose food doctrine on us here, right?

Not in the least. You knew that, even before you wrote that bit of
crap.


> I prefer vegetarian dishes..

Good for you.


>  why don't you let me order them in
> peace?  :)

I do. I have never interfered.


>
>
>
> > Humans eat meat.  A minuscule minority of humans may choose not to eat
> > meat, and as long as they don't attempt to force their choice on
> > others, they're entitled to do as they wish.  Their rationale for not
> > eating meat, of course, is abject nonsense.
>
> All humans eat meat.  It is virtually impossible to filter out all
> animal protein from food, and even if you could there would still be
> insects that make it to your gut.

Not the point, of course.

Funkenstein
2010-08-18 13:09:10 EST
On Aug 18, 5:57 am, Richard Leakey IV <notgen...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> On Aug 17, 4:20 am, funkenstein <luke.s...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>
>
> > On Aug 17, 6:23 am, Richard Leakey IV <notgen...@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
> > > On Aug 15, 11:56 pm, funkenstein <luke.s...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > > > On Aug 11, 9:30 pm, Richard Leakey IV <notgen...@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
> > > > > Humans are meat eaters, *_and_always_have_been_*.
>
> > > > > "Fossils unearthed in Ethiopia indicate human ancestors were using
> > > > > tools to cut meat away from bones about 3.4 million years ago, a
> > > > > million years earlier than previously thought."
>
> > > > >http://www.latimes.com/news/science/la-sci-bone-tools-20100812,0,6329...
>
> > > > >    "This type of behavior sent us down a path that later would
> > > > >    lead to two of the defining features of our species -- carnivory
> > > > >    and tool manufacture and use," Dr. Shannon McPherron,
> > > > >    archeologist with the Dikika Research Project in Ethiopia and
> > > > >    the Max Planck Institute for Evolutionary Anthropology in
> > > > >    Leipzig, Germany, said in a statement.
>
> > > > > Meat eating is a "defining feature" of the human species.  Scientists,
> > > > > as opposed to shrill food Nazis, have no doubt about it.
>
> > > > (Meat) Eating is a "defining feature" of all animals.
>
> > > Eating meat, in particular, is a defining characteristic of humans.
> > > Many so-called vegans try to dispute that, but they're wrong.  The
> > > vast majority of humans, at all times and places in human history,
> > > have eaten meat.
>
> > Not just all humans, but all animals have eaten meat.
> > The only difference is what percentage of the diet is in animal
> > proteins.
>
> The percentage of the human diet that is accounted for by animal flesh
> has always been high - at all times and in all places.
>

That's certainly true in places that have high incidence of cancer,
diabetes, and heart disease.. but not true in much of the world.
What do you think the world average is? I would guess something
around 10% of protein from animals. It goes roughly with latitude, as
people far from the equator are forced to eat animals to survive.


> It is false to suggest that "all animals" have eaten meat.  Ruminants
> may ingest some minute amount of insects on grasses and other leaves
> they eat, but they don't seek them out, and they are not a significant
> part of their caloric intake.  

Well you just confirmed that they have eaten meat, so my point
stands. I once watched a mother cow seek out and eat her own
placenta. Further, most of US cows are fed a significant amount of
animal proteins.

> Humans *do* seek out meat, and always
> have.  Meat has always been a preferred part of the human diet, at all
> times and in all places.  

Well thanks for telling me what I prefer...


> Meat consumption, as the scientists know, is
> a defining characteristic of the human diet.  It is not a defining
> characteristic of grazing ruminants' diets.
>

It is a part of life for all animals.. the only thing that varies is
the dosage and the health effects thereof.

>
>
> > > > Not one animal can avoid having some animal protein in the diet.
>
> > > > So, who are the food Nazis?   The ones from Leipzig?
>
> > > The food Nazis are anyone who wants to impose food doctrine on
> > > others.  Vegans are food Nazis.
>
> > You are trying to impose food doctrine on us here, right?
>
> Not in the least.  You knew that, even before you wrote that bit of
> crap.
>

Well, you did just try to tell me what I prefer to eat..

> > I prefer vegetarian dishes..
>
> Good for you.
>
> >  why don't you let me order them in
> > peace?  :)
>
> I do.  I have never interfered.
>
>

OK, we're all good then :)

bon appetit
Page: 1   (First | Last)


2020 - UsenetArchives.com | Contact Us | Privacy | Stats | Site Search
Become our Patron