Vegetarian Discussion: HIGH IQ LINK TO BEING VEGETARIAN - BBC

HIGH IQ LINK TO BEING VEGETARIAN - BBC

And/or Www.mantra.com/jai Dr. Jai Maharaj
2010-05-17 04:28:48 EST
High IQ link to being vegetarian

BBC
Friday, December 15, 2006

Vegetarianism has been linked to better heart health
Intelligent children are more likely to become
vegetarians later in life, a study says.

A Southampton University team found those who were
vegetarian by 30 had recorded five IQ points more on
average at the age of 10.

[Caption] Vegetarianism has been
linked to better heart health

Researchers said it could explain why people with higher
IQ were healthier as a vegetarian diet was linked to
lower heart disease and obesity rates.

The study of 8,179 was reported in the British Medical
Journal.

Twenty years after the IQ tests were carried out in 1970,
366 of the participants said they were vegetarian -
although more than 100 reported eating either fish or
chicken.

Men who were vegetarian had an IQ score of 106, compared
with 101 for non-vegetarians; while female vegetarians
averaged 104, compared with 99 for non-vegetarians.

"We've always known that vegetarianism is an
intelligent, compassionate choice benefiting animals,
people and the environment"
- Liz O'Neill, of The Vegetarian Society

There was no difference in IQ score between strict
vegetarians and those who said they were vegetarian but
who reported eating fish or chicken.

Researchers said the findings were partly related to
better education and higher occupational social class,
but it remained statistically significant after adjusting
for these factors.

Vegetarians were more likely to be female, to be of
higher occupational social class and to have higher
academic or vocational qualifications than non-
vegetarians.

However, these differences were not reflected in their
annual income, which was similar to that of non-
vegetarians.

Lead researcher Catharine Gale said: "The finding that
children with greater intelligence are more likely to
report being vegetarian as adults, together with the
evidence on the potential benefits of a vegetarian diet
on heart health, may help to explain why higher IQ in
childhood or adolescence is linked with a reduced risk of
coronary heart disease in adult life."

Intelligence

However, she added the link may be merely an example of
many other lifestyle preferences that might be expected
to vary with intelligence, such as choice of newspaper,
but which may or may not have implications for health.

Liz O'Neill, of the Vegetarian Society, said: "We've
always known that vegetarianism is an intelligent,
compassionate choice benefiting animals, people and the
environment.

"Now we've got the scientific evidence to prove it. Maybe
that explains why many meat-reducers are keen to call
themselves vegetarians when even they must know that
vegetarians don't eat chicken, turkey or fish."

But Dr Frankie Phillips, of the British Dietetic
Association, said: "It is like the chicken and the egg.
Do people become vegetarian because they have a very high
IQ or is it just that they tend to be more aware of
health issues?"

SEE ALSO:

Rejecting meat 'keeps weight low'
14 Mar 06 - Health
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/4801570.stm

The end of the salad days?
08 Jun 04 - UK
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/3787925.stm

Vegetarian diet 'cuts heart risk'
15 Dec 02 - Health
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/2526891.stm

Veggie diet 'protects heart'
28 Jun 01 - Health
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/1412238.stm

RELATED INTERNET LINKS:

British Medical Journal
http://www.bmj.com/

The Vegetarian Society
http://www.vegsoc.org/

British Dietetic Association
http://www.bda.uk.com/

More at:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/6180753.stm

Jai Maharaj, Jyotishi
Om Shanti

fair use of copyrighted works.

copyright owner.

Since newsgroup posts are being removed
by forgery by one or more net terrorists,
this post may be reposted several times.

Harmony
2010-05-17 12:33:37 EST
all the smart people i know are vegetarians.

<*t@mantra.com and/or www.mantra.com/jai (Dr. Jai Maharaj)> wrote in
message news:20100516V8iN2tf3r3yjpXmPoZImsS5@X7g4f...
> [...]
> provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law. In accordance with
> Title
> 17 U.S.C. Section 107, the material on this site is distributed without
> profit to those who have expressed a prior interest in receiving the
> included
> information for research, comment, discussion and educational purposes by
> subscribing to USENET newsgroups or visiting web sites. For more
> information
> go to: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml
> If you wish to use copyrighted material from this article for purposes of
> your own that go beyond 'fair use', you must obtain permission from the
> copyright owner.
>
> Since newsgroup posts are being removed
> by forgery by one or more net terrorists,
> this post may be reposted several times.

Fred C. Dobbs
2010-05-17 13:05:50 EST
On 5/17/2010 1:28 AM, Dr. Jai Maharaj wrote:
> High IQ link to being vegetarian

No such link.

Mr.Smartypants
2010-05-18 02:43:58 EST
On May 17, 11:05 am, "Fred C. Dobbs" <fred.c.do...@earthlink.neat>
wrote:
> On 5/17/2010 1:28 AM, Dr. Jai Maharaj wrote:
>
> > High IQ link to being vegetarian
>
> I'm such a dink.

Fixed that for you, Goo.

Harmony
2010-05-18 21:33:09 EST

wrote:
> On 5/17/2010 1:28 AM, Dr. Jai Maharaj wrote:
>
> > High IQ link to being vegetarian
>
> I'm such a dink.

Fixed that for you, Goo.

-------------------------
i suggest for him to be a veggie for next 3 months and report on improvement
in his iq.

And/or Www.mantra.com/jai Dr. Jai Maharaj
2010-05-19 15:17:15 EST
Simply selecting a healthier lifestyle is a smart choice, and
abstaining from animal-source foods is a big part of it.

Jai Maharaj, Jyotishi
Om Shanti

In article <4bf16fe2$0$12463$bbae4d71@news.suddenlink.net>,
"harmony" <aka@hotmail.com> posted:

> [...]

> > provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law. In accordance with
> > Title
> > 17 U.S.C. Section 107, the material on this site is distributed without
> > profit to those who have expressed a prior interest in receiving the
> > included
> > information for research, comment, discussion and educational purposes by
> > subscribing to USENET newsgroups or visiting web sites. For more
> > information
> > go to: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml
> > If you wish to use copyrighted material from this article for purposes of
> > your own that go beyond 'fair use', you must obtain permission from the
> > copyright owner.
> >
> > Since newsgroup posts are being removed
> > by forgery by one or more net terrorists,
> > this post may be reposted several times.

P. Rajah
2010-05-19 17:38:24 EST
Jay Stevens Maharaj aka the jumpin' jackass jyotishithead wrote:

> Simply selecting a healthier lifestyle is a smart choice, and
> abstaining from animal-source foods is a big part of it.

On June 22, 2006, Jay, you wrote:
"aap kay mukh me(in) ghee shakkar, harmony ji!"

Since when is ghee not an animal-source food, you hypocrite asstrolloger?

Me, ...again!
2010-05-19 18:21:51 EST

On Wed, 19 May 2010, P. Rajah wrote:

> Jay Stevens Maharaj aka the jumpin' jackass jyotishithead wrote:
>
>> Simply selecting a healthier lifestyle is a smart choice, and
>> abstaining from animal-source foods is a big part of it.
>
> On June 22, 2006, Jay, you wrote:
> "aap kay mukh me(in) ghee shakkar, harmony ji!"
>
> Since when is ghee not an animal-source food, you hypocrite asstrolloger?

Welcome back, P. Rajah, to the growing crowd of "Maharaj doubters."

I also feel that pure, dogmatic-fanatic pro-vegetarian-anti-meat
propaganda is unwise.

So, I did a google search and found these (scientific) references from
"scholar.google.com," the science/academic search engine (instead of the
touchy-feelie results on "regular" google.com.....

Results seem to me suggest that a decision to "go vegetarian" based on
ideology, alone, is unwise.

===================
Mr. Jai Maharaj (aka Jay Stevens) presents himself as a vegetarian and
presents vegetarianism (vegan lifestyle) as being superior to omnivorous
diets, and even suggests that vegans/vegetarians are people that are
superior to non-vegetarians. Most of his presentations/posts on this topic
are based on an unscientific sellection of only the "good news" about
vegetarianism. A search of the scientific literature (see below) shows
that the situation is not so clear and that there are health risks from
vegetarian diets. Those of you who are dogmatic and fanatical about this
topic would do well to look more deeply at the possible negative consequences.
You can also find controversy using the search term "vegetarian unhealthy"
in "regular" www.google.com which is not optimized as scholar.google.com for
searching the serious references on this controversial topic. It is tragic
that people will adopt a behavior based on politics, philosophy, or
religion instead of science.

------------

search term: vegetarian protein deficiency
search engine: scholar.google.com

==============page 1 =========================

Influence of caloric level and protein quality on the manifestations of protein deficiency in the young pig
nutrition.org [PDF]
RS Lowrey, WG Pond, RH Barnes, L Krook, … - Journal of …, 1962 - Am Soc Nutrition
Influence of Caloric Level and Protein Quality on the Manifestations of Protein Deficiency in the
Young Pig1 ... DISCUSSION These results demonstrate the similarity in biochemical and anatomical
changes associated with protein deficiency in pigs and kwashiorkor in humans. ...
Cited by 48 - Related articles - All 2 versions

Totally vegetarian diets and infant nutrition
ED Shinwell, R Gorodischer - Pediatrics, 1982 - Am Acad Pediatrics
... I I t I I I 0 6 12 18 21. 30 nxr4hs 5 . . 584 VEGETARIAN DIETS ... A scaly, oozing erythematous rash,
consistent with that of zinc deficiency, was present around the mouth and penneal area. ... Laboratory
data confirmed deficien- cies of protein, iron, vitamin B,2, vitamin K, and zinc.
Cited by 45 - Related articles - All 5 versions

Influence of diet and nutritional status on drug metabolism
I Walter-Sack, U Klotz - Clinical pharmacokinetics, 1996 - grande.nal.usda.gov
... be accelerated by a protein-rich diet. In the same way, protein deficiency induced
by either vegetarian food or undernourishment will have the opposite
pharmacokinetic consequences. On the basis of some more examples ...
Cited by 124 - Related articles - Cached - BL Direct - All 3 versions

Vitamin D supplements in pregnant Asian women: effects on calcium status and fetal growth.
nih.gov [PDF]
OG Brooke, IR Brown, CD Bone, ND Carter, HJ … - British Medical …, 1980 - bmj.com
... Since the risks to the fetus of subclinical maternal vitamin D deficiency are not ... the groups in
maternal age, parity, height (table I), vegetarian: non-vegetarian ratio (control ... measured by a
competitive protein-binding assay after chromato- graphic purification of lipid extracts of ...
Cited by 158 - Related articles - All 9 versions

Maternal vegan diet causing a serious infantile neurological disorder due to vitamin B 12 deficiency
T Kühne, R Bubl, R Baumgartner - European journal of pediatrics, 1991 - Springer
... showed no clinical signs of vitamin B12 deficiency, the child presented with neuro- logical,
haematological, and metabolic abnormalities characteristic of severe vitamin B12 deficiency. ...
The parents were vegetarians who had exlcuded all animal protein from their diet ...
Cited by 50 - Related articles - All 4 versions

Dietary protein and bone health
R Rizzoli, JP Bonjour - Journal of Bone and Mineral Research, 2004 - jbmronline.org
... Lau EM, Kwok T, Woo J, Ho SC 1998 Bone mineral density in Chinese elderly female vegetarians,
vegans, lacto-vegetarians and omnivores. ... Orwoll E, Ware M, Stribrska L, Bikle D, Sanchez T,
Andon M, Li H 1992 Effects of dietary protein deficiency on mineral metabolism and ...
Cited by 44 - Related articles - BL Direct - All 8 versions

The nutritional status of vegans and vegetarians
FR Ellis - Proceedings of the Nutrition Society, 2007 - Cambridge Univ Press
... These limitations are unlikely to occur in the developed countries where people adopt such
regimens from choice rather than economic necessity, but a deficiency of vitamin B,, may develop
after a ... Table 2, Protein score and percentage of net dietary vegetarian and vegan ...
Cited by 36 - Related articles - All 3 versions

Increased risk of iodine deficiency with vegetarian nutrition
T Remer, A Neubert, F Manz - British Journal of Nutrition, 2007 - Cambridge Univ Press
... primarily based on diet questionnaires or food records have reported that vegetarians can have
a ... However, analytically ascertained data on the possible degree of I deficiency with this form ... The
study diets, normal, protein-rich, lactovegetarian, and repeat of the initial normal diet ...
Cited by 32 - Related articles - BL Direct - All 6 versions

[PDF] Human dietary deficiency of vitamin B12
ajcn.org [PDF]
F WOKES, J Badenoch, HM Sinclair - American Journal of …, 1955 - Am Soc Nutrition
... During tile last ten years or so, some hundreds of timese vegetarians have eliminated dairy
produce from their ... not all of these vegans.3'4 These illnesses are apparently due to a dietary
deficiency of vitamin ... Staple foods containing animal protein usually also contain vitamin B12 ...
Cited by 54 - Related articles - All 2 versions

The nutritional adequacy of plant-based diets
TAB Sanders - Proceedings of the Nutrition Society, 2007 - Cambridge Univ Press
... Many legumes contain protease inhibitors that can decrease the digestibility of protein. ... Iron
Vegetarians are probably more prone to Fe-deficiency anaemia because of their low Fe stores ...
The Asian vegetarian population in the UK and North America has a higher incidence of Fe ...
Cited by 34 - Related articles - BL Direct - All 4 versions

============ page 2 ===========================

Nutritional vitamin B12 deficiency in a breast-fed infant of a vegan-diet mother
R Sklar - Clinical pediatrics, 1986 - cpj.sagepub.com
... Clinical Pediatrics DOI: 10.1177/000992288602500409 1986; 25; 219 Clin Pediatr (Phila) Ronald
Sklar Nutritional Vitamin B12 Deficiency in a Breast-fed Infant of a Vegan-diet Mother ... Page 2.
219 Nutritional Vitamin B 12 Deficiency in a Breast-fed Infant of a Vegan-diet Mother ...
Cited by 29 - Related articles - All 6 versions

Dietary protein: an essential nutrient for bone health
jacn.org [HTML]
JP Bonjour - Journal of the American College of Nutrition, 2005 - Am Coll Nutrition
... Well controlled experiments demonstrate that a selective deficiency in dietary proteins, ie without
any ... significantly higher blood pH than age-matched vegetarians with a lower protein intake [20]. ...
titrable acid output found in the omnivores as compared to the vegetarian group [20 ...
Cited by 60 - Related articles - BL Direct - All 5 versions

Chronic malnutrition: protein metabolism
AA Jackson - Proceedings of the Nutrition Society, 2007 - Cambridge Univ Press
... There were few data from the developing world, from groups at risk of deficiency or subsisting
on diets of poor quality and low in protein. ... 1CH) studies; (- - - weighted average intakes of
protein from vegetarian (veg.) and omnivore (omni.) diets in the UK. ...
Cited by 26 - Related articles - BL Direct - All 3 versions

Nutrient intake and health status of vegans. Chemical analyses of diets using the duplicate portion sampling technique
ajcn.org [PDF]
M Abdulla, I Andersson, NG Asp, K … - American Journal of …, 1981 - Am Soc Nutrition
... No clinical signs of nutritional deficiency were observed in the vegans. ... ents, fatty acids, sterols,
protein, amino acids, carbohydrates, dietary fiber. ... With respect to global economy, vegans are
of in- terest, as their dietary habit may offer clues to whether a strictly vegetarian diet is ...
Cited by 58 - Related articles - All 2 versions

Position of The American Dietetic Association:: Vegetarian Diets
VK Messina, KI Burke - Journal of the American Dietetic Association, 1997 - Elsevier
... small, and it is both stored and recycled in the body, symptoms of deficiency may be ... of vegans,
however, are generally lower than those of both lacto-ovo-vegetarians and omnivores ... lower
calcium needs than nonvegetarians because diets that are low in total protein and more ...
Cited by 46 - Related articles - All 3 versions

Vegetarian diet and cobalamin deficiency: their association with tuberculosis.
bmj.com [PDF]
I Chanarin, E Stephenson - Journal of clinical pathology, 1988 - jcp.bmj.com
... Vegetarian diet and cobalamin deficiency: their association with tuberculosis ... The hypothesis
put forward to explain the high incidence oftuberculosis in vegetarian Indians is that chronic Cbl
deficiency results in a failure of macro- phages to kill ingestedmycobacteria. ...
Cited by 27 - Related articles - All 8 versions

Vitamin B 12 and brain development
K Stollhoff, FJ Schulte - European journal of pediatrics, 1987 - Springer
... In contrast to a Vitamin B12-deficient diet, a congenital defect in the transport protein-
transcobalamin 2 deficiency leads to ... and l mg/week thereafter) can achieve a normalization of
psychomotor development in breast- fed infants of strictly vegetarian mothers [10 ...
Cited by 43 - Related articles - All 4 versions

Vitamin B12 deficiency as a worldwide problem
idpas.org [PDF]
SP Stabler, RH Allen - 2004 - Annual Reviews
... reasons. Those who follow vegetarian diets generally are well nourished, healthy,
and not plagued with parasites, malabsorption, or protein calorie malnutrition,
comorbidities that can confuse the clinical picture of B12 deficiency. A ...
Cited by 116 - Related articles - BL Direct - All 9 versions

Leaf protein as a human food
NW Pirie - International Journal of Food Sciences and Nutrition, 1958 - informaworld.com
... for leaf protein in Britain, though it would be useful as a supplement to the some- what
protein-deficient diets of strict vegetarians. ... Protein deficiency in young children is therefore very
common, and even when it has been recognized as a clinical entity (for example as Kwashi ...
Cited by 55 - Related articles - All 7 versions

Correction of anemia and iron deficiency in vegetarians by administration of ascorbic acid.
DC Sharma, R Mathur - Indian journal of physiology and …, 1995 - ncbi.nlm.nih.gov
... Twenty-eight strict vegetarians were given 500 mg ascorbic acid twice daily after lunch and dinner
for two months. ... The serum protein or copper level did not indicate their dietary deficiency, while
initial serum ascorbate level were low which rose by 60% on therapy. ...
Cited by 25 - Related articles - BL Direct - All 2 versions

==================== page 3 ===========================

The nutritional value of plant-based diets in relation to human amino acid and protein requirements
DJ Millward - Proceedings of the Nutrition Society, 2007 - Cambridge Univ Press
... healthy, without overt symptoms of kwashiorkor, in support of Golden's (1997) arguments that
kwashiorkor is not a protein-deficiency disease. ... Furthermore, because cereals or starchy roots
are the major world food protein sources, and the basis of all vegetarian diets, then ...
Cited by 63 - Related articles - BL Direct - All 4 versions

Kwashiorkor in the United States: fad diets, perceived and true milk allergy, and nutritional ignorance
T Liu, RM Howard, AJ Mancini, WL Weston, … - Archives of …, 2001 - Am Med Assoc
... the treatment of diarrhea). Four previous cases 7, 19 were attributed to a vegetarian
diet. Perhaps the most concerning ... with table foods only. Several of the diets had a relative
but not absolute protein deficiency. One could speculate that ...
Cited by 48 - Related articles - BL Direct - All 6 versions

The practice of infant feeding among Asian immigrants.
bmj.com [PDF]
SK Jivani - Archives of Disease in Childhood, 1978 - adc.bmj.com
... For vegetarians, vitamin B12 can be supplied through eggs, cheese, and milk, and non-
vegetarians can be encouraged to eat herrings ... Though protein deficiency (kwa- shiorkor) is
frequently found in children in Africa who eat large quantities of bananas, in this country small ...
Cited by 30 - Related articles - All 7 versions

Protein intake and bone disorders in the elderly
R Rizzoli, P Ammann, T Chevalley, JP Bonjour - Joint Bone Spine, 2001 - Elsevier
... Available online 12 October 2001. Abstract. Malnutrition, most notably protein deficiency,
contributes to the occurrence of osteoporotic fractures not only by decreasing bone mass but
also by altering muscle function. ... Protein deficiency and osteoporotic fracture. ...
Cited by 48 - Related articles - All 5 versions

Zinc deficiency: a public health problem?
HH Sandstead - Archives of Pediatrics & Adolescent …, 1991 - archpedi.highwire.org
... be found in reviews.25"27 Factors in the pathogenesis of primary zinc deficiency include the ... In
contrast to om¬ nivorous diets, most of the zincin lacto-ovo-vegetarian diets is ... ZincContent of
Common Household Portions of Selected Foods Food Portion Zinc, mg Protein, g Fish ...
Cited by 169 - Related articles - BL Direct - All 8 versions

Hyperhomocysteinemia and elevated methylmalonic acid indicate a high prevalence of cobalamin deficiency in Asian Indians
ajcn.org [HTML]
H Refsum, CS Yajnik, M Gadkari, J … - American Journal of …, 2001 - Am Soc Nutrition
... Even the food consumed by nonvegetarian Indians usually contains less animal-derived protein
than in the typical ... diet may be deficient in some nutrients (3, 4). In particular, a strict vegetarian
diet has been associated with an increased risk of cobalamin deficiency (4, 5). ...
Cited by 152 - Related articles - BL Direct - All 6 versions

Iron status of vegetarians
ajcn.org [PDF]
WJ Craig - American Journal of Clinical Nutrition, 1994 - Am Soc Nutrition
... is nonheme iron (2-20%), it has been suggested that vegetarians may be at greater risk of iron
deficiency ( I 3). Nonheme-iron ... On the other hand, Swiss researchers studying iron absorption
from liquid-formula meals that contained a number of soy-protein isolates with dif- ...
Cited by 91 - Related articles - BL Direct - All 4 versions

Growth and development of British vegan children
ajcn.org [PDF]
TA Sanders - American Journal of Clinical Nutrition, 1988 - Am Soc Nutrition
... take supplements or use foods supplemented with the vi- tamin. Vitamin B-12 deficiency can
also occur in breast- fed infants if the maternal intake is not adequate (8). ... vegan diets but only
contribute small amounts to the to- tab energy and protein intakes. ...
Cited by 44 - Related articles - All 3 versions

Influence of vitamin D deficiency and vitamin D receptor polymorphisms on tuberculosis among Gujarati Asians in west London: a case-control study
RJ Wilkinson, M Llewelyn, Z Toossi, P Patel, G Pasvol, … - The Lancet, 2000 - Elsevier
... Most members of this community are strict vegetarians, and infants younger than 2 years have
lower ... 25-hydroxycholecalciferol was assayed by a competitive protein binding assay. 23 Our
routine laboratory criteria defines 25-hydroxycholecalciferol deficiency to be present at a ...
Cited by 306 - Related articles - BL Direct - All 9 versions

Effect of marginal zinc deficiency on human growth and development
A Ploysangam, GA Falciglia, BJ … - Journal of tropical …, 1997 - Oxford Univ Press
... 28. Miller J, McLachlan D, Klug A. Repetitive zinc-binding domains in the protein transcription
factor D1A from ... Importance of Zn for hormone binding and signal transduction: Limiting
mechanisms in Zn deficiency? ... Content and bioavailability of trace elements in vegetarian diets. ...
Cited by 26 - Related articles - BL Direct - All 7 versions

Sidney Lambe
2010-05-19 20:21:34 EST
On alt.food.vegan, Me, ...again! <arthures@mv.com> wrote:

> This message is in MIME format. The first part should
> be readable text, while the remaining parts are likely
> unreadable without MIME-aware tools.
>
> --0-1180389983-1274307711=:92260 Content-Type: TEXT/PLAIN;
> charset=ISO-8859-1; format=flowed Content-Transfer-Encoding:
> QUOTED-PRINTABLE

What a jerk.

Killfiled.

[delete]

Sid

Mr.Smartypants
2010-05-21 20:10:55 EST
On May 18, 7:33 pm, "harmony" <aka@hotmail> wrote:
> "Mr.Smartypants" <b...@canada.com> wrote in message

> On May 17, 11:05 am, "Fred C. Dobbs" <fred.c.do...@earthlink.neat>
> wrote:
>
> > On 5/17/2010 1:28 AM, Dr. Jai Maharaj wrote:
>
> > > High IQ link to being vegetarian
>
> > I'm such a dink.
>
> Fixed that for you, Goo.

> i suggest for him to be a veggie for next 3 months and report on improvement
> in his iq.

It will take a helluva lot longer than that for there to be an
improvement in his IQ.