Vegetarian Discussion: MEAT-EATING HABIT DUMPS TWICE THE POLLUTANTS AS INDUSTRIAL WASTE

MEAT-EATING HABIT DUMPS TWICE THE POLLUTANTS AS INDUSTRIAL WASTE

And/or Www.mantra.com/jai Dr. Jai Maharaj
2010-05-11 17:33:51 EST
Fact City 21

Meat Habit Dumps Twice the Pollutants as Industrial Waste

Cattle produce nearly 1 billion tons of organic waste each year, much
of which is in the United States. It is running off into the
groundwater and surface water, contaminating wells, rivers streams,
and lakes throughout the nation.

Food geographer Georg Borgstrom estimates that cattle and other
livestock account for twice the amount of pollutants as comes from
all U.S. industrial sources.

Before we express our concern about industrial pollution, we need to
focus attention on our meat habit -- it is twice as important.

Cattle feedlots have become a dangerous source of organic pollutants,
accounting for more than half the toxic organic pollutants found in
fresh water. The average feedlot steer produces over 47 pounds of
manure every twenty-four hours. On a standard feedlot containing
10,000 head, nearly 500,000 pounds of manure are produced daily.

To place the problem in perspective, the organic waste generated by a
typical 10,000-head feedlot is equivalent to the human waste
generated in a city of 110,000 people. The nitrogen from the cattle
waste is converted into ammonia and nitrates and leaches into ground
and surface water, where it pollutes wells, rivers and streams,
contaminating drinking water and killing aquatic life.

- Ensminger, M.E., "Animal Science" Interstate Publishers, Danville,
Ill., 1991, pg.187,table 5-10

- Pimentel, David, "Waste in Agriculture and Food Sectors:
Environmental and Social Costs," paper for Gross National Wate
Product Forum, Arlington, Va., 1989, pgs. 12, 13

- Lappe, Frances Moore, "Diet For A Small Planet" Ballantine Books,
N.Y., 1982, pg. 84

- Durning, Alan B., "Cost of Beef for Health and Habitat" Los
Angeles Times, September 21, 1986, pg. 3

- Analysis by John Sweeten, Texas A&M University for the National
Cattlemen's Association, 1990

- Rifkin, Jeremy, "Beyond Beef: The Rise and Fall of the Cattle
Culture," Dutton, N.Y., 1992, pg. 221

End of forwarded article

Jai Maharaj, Jyotishi
Om Shanti

fair use of copyrighted works.

copyright owner.

Since newsgroup posts are being removed
by forgery by one or more net terrorists,
this post may be reposted several times.

Fred C. Dobbs
2010-05-11 17:36:11 EST
Jay Stevens - not a doctor, not Indian, not a Hindoo - bullshitted:
> Fact City 21
>
> Meat Habit Dumps Twice the Pollutants as Industrial Waste
>
> Cattle produce nearly 1 billion tons of organic waste each year, much
> of which is in the United States.

Without animal waste, organic farming is impossible.

Mr.Smartypants
2010-05-11 17:52:32 EST
On May 11, 3:36 pm, "Fred C. Dobbs" <fred.c.do...@earthlink.not>
wrote:
> Jay Stevens - not a doctor, not Indian, not a Hindoo - bullshitted:
>
> > Fact City 21
>
> > Meat Habit Dumps Twice the Pollutants as Industrial Waste
>
> > Cattle produce nearly 1 billion tons of organic waste each year, much
> > of which is in the United States.
>
> Without animal waste, organic farming is impossible.

Yeh,but we don't need that much concentrated in a few small areas, do
we, Goo?

H*@indero.com
2010-05-11 17:56:18 EST
"Food geographer Georg Borgstrom estimates that cattle and other
livestock account for twice the amount of pollutants as comes from
all U.S. industrial sources."

>From other sources:

"India has one of the largest livestock
population in the world. Fifty percent of the buffaloes and twenty
percent of the cattle in the world are found in India, most of which
are milch cows and milch buffaloes.

Sidney Lambe
2010-05-11 22:08:29 EST
On alt.food.vegan, hari.kumar@indero.com <hari.kumar@indero.com> wrote:
> "Food geographer Georg Borgstrom estimates that cattle and other
> livestock account for twice the amount of pollutants as comes from
> all U.S. industrial sources."
>
> From other sources:
>
> "India has one of the largest livestock
> population in the world. Fifty percent of the buffaloes and twenty
> percent of the cattle in the world are found in India, most of which
> are milch cows and milch buffaloes.

And those other sources are? You quote but include no link?
This is asking to be killfiled.

But I think it is probably true and it certainly goes a long way
towards explaining why there is so much poverty and hunger in
that resource rich country. Those resources are being squandered
for a few milk products. Insanity. It takes a minimum of a cultivated
acre of rich land to feed one mature milk cow. That same acre will
feed 20 people a decent but no-frills herby (pure vegetarian) diet.
This is with no-till, intensive gardening.

Sid

Harmony
2010-05-12 12:25:46 EST
well, the hindu people make green-electricity out of manure.
http://www.childhaven.ca/gobar.htm

<*t@mantra.com and/or www.mantra.com/jai (Dr. Jai Maharaj)> wrote in
message news:20100511U7qN242IvbWWnyrZe2SW25r@M542X...
> [...]
> provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law. In accordance with
> Title
> 17 U.S.C. Section 107, the material on this site is distributed without
> profit to those who have expressed a prior interest in receiving the
> included
> information for research, comment, discussion and educational purposes by
> subscribing to USENET newsgroups or visiting web sites. For more
> information
> go to: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml
> If you wish to use copyrighted material from this article for purposes of
> your own that go beyond 'fair use', you must obtain permission from the
> copyright owner.
>
> Since newsgroup posts are being removed
> by forgery by one or more net terrorists,
> this post may be reposted several times.

P. Rajah
2010-05-12 16:42:34 EST
harmonkey aka pradipshit parekh wrote:

> well, the hindu people make green-electricity out of manure.
> http://www.childhaven.ca/gobar.htm

You are confusing methane(the stuff that you inhale from Jay's ass) with
electricity. Not surprising, since the years of huffing Jay's farts have
scrambled what now passes for your brain.