Vegetarian Discussion: A_Rare_Glimpse_Inside_A_"Free-Range"_Egg_Facility_?

A_Rare_Glimpse_Inside_A_"Free-Range"_Egg_Facility_?

Opearl
2009-07-11 06:33:38 EST

'A Rare Glimpse Inside A "Free-Range" Egg Facility

By Jewel Johnson

I called the farm to ask if I could come by and see the birds, and
I told the woman who answered exactly why I wanted to visit.
She assured me the chickens are treated well, and I could stop by
some time the next week. I had some spare time on a Saturday,
so I followed the address listed in the phone book to find the farm.
....'
http://www.peacefulprairie.org/eNews/Spring07/free-rangeFarm.html

Dank 110100100
2009-07-13 00:20:23 EST
On Jul 11, 4:33 am, "Opearl" <priv...@iol.ie> wrote:
> 'A Rare Glimpse Inside A "Free-Range" Egg Facility
>
> By Jewel Johnson
>
>  I called the farm to ask if I could come by and see the birds, and
> I told the woman who answered exactly why I wanted to visit.
> She assured me the chickens are treated well, and I could stop by
> some time the next week. I had some spare time on a Saturday,
> so I followed the address listed in the phone book to find the farm.
> ....'http://www.peacefulprairie.org/eNews/Spring07/free-rangeFarm.html

What's the point of 'rescuing' farm animals when other animals will
simply be slaughtered in their place?

For example, every year the U.S. President 'pardons' the Thanksgiving
turkey, causing another turkey to be killed, cooked, and eaten
instead.

Animal rights activists recently protested against slaughtering horses
to sell the meat for human consumption. The meat can still be sold
for animal consumption, such as to make dog food, but it suddenly
becomes 'inhumane' if a person eats the same dead horse carcass.

O.pearl
2009-07-13 04:34:19 EST

"Dank 110100100" <dank420@rocketmail.com> wrote in message news:cf1cde94-cd79-4054-86e5-d636942466d6@q40g2000prh.googlegroups.com...
On Jul 11, 4:33 am, "Opearl" <priv...@iol.ie> wrote:
> 'A Rare Glimpse Inside A "Free-Range" Egg Facility
>
> By Jewel Johnson
>
> I called the farm to ask if I could come by and see the birds, and
> I told the woman who answered exactly why I wanted to visit.
> She assured me the chickens are treated well, and I could stop by
> some time the next week. I had some spare time on a Saturday,
> so I followed the address listed in the phone book to find the farm.
> ....'http://www.peacefulprairie.org/eNews/Spring07/free-rangeFarm.html

: What's the point of 'rescuing' farm animals when other animals will
: simply be slaughtered in their place?

"I introduced myself to him, and I let him know I was there for my love of
chickens, and I wanted to add on to my flock I had at home. He wanted
to get a better idea of what I was all about. I described what I do.
I rescue parrots, and I rescue chickens when I can, and it's against my
ethics to pay for chickens or to purchase them from a hatchery or any
store. After some peaceful conversation, he said he would give me some
birds. I just had to pull my truck around to the building towards the end of
the row of buildings, because those hens were no longer producing enough
eggs for profit.

Just outside that building I asked him what he does with these birds after
they are no longer useful to him. He told me he gasses them in 50 gallon
drums. It takes him four days to gas thousands and thousands of hens. He
hates to do this. At that point he estimated about 80,000 hens. I asked
why he doesn't send them to slaughter for soup or dog food. To that he
said no company would take them, so they have to be gassed."

: For example, every year the U.S. President 'pardons' the Thanksgiving
: turkey, causing another turkey to be killed, cooked, and eaten
: instead.

Other than that one individual's precious life, in the'grand scheme' of things...

'Proper disposal of mortality is one of the daily management responsibilities
of a poultry producer. At normal mortality rates for commercial chicken or
turkey flocks, producers must dispose of large quantities of birds. The weight
and volume of carcasses that growers must deal with increases dramatically
as poultry reach maturity (for example, 4 pounds each for broilers and 25
pounds for tom turkeys).
..
Example: For a 24,000-bird tom turkey operation with a 9 percent mortality
rate and marketing 25-pound toms in 133 days:
..'
http://www.ces.ncsu.edu/depts/poulsci/tech_manuals/composting_poultry_mortality.html

: Animal rights activists recently protested against slaughtering horses
: to sell the meat for human consumption. The meat can still be sold
: for animal consumption, such as to make dog food, but it suddenly
: becomes 'inhumane' if a person eats the same dead horse carcass.

'A lesser-known issue is that of horse slaughter for pet food and for zoos to
feed to carnivores. According to Dane, these facilities are not required to be
inspected by the USDA, so statistics are not available. The existence of such
facilities usually goes unnoticed until there is a cruelty allegation and
investigation. The International Society for the Protection of Exotic Animal
Kind and Livestock, Inc. alleges that one such slaughterhouse in New Jersey
kills the horses in an inhumane manner, and the case is still under investigation.
According to Dane, most major pet food companies do not use horse meat,
so there's little chance of buying cat or dog food that supports horse slaughter.
..'
http://animalrights.about.com/od/animalsusedforfood/a/HorseSlaughterArguments.htm

D*@.
2009-07-13 13:13:09 EST
On Sun, 12 Jul 2009 21:20:23 -0700 (PDT), Dank 110100100
<*0@rocketmail.com> wrote:

>On Jul 11, 4:33 am, "Opearl" <priv...@iol.ie> wrote:
>> 'A Rare Glimpse Inside A "Free-Range" Egg Facility
>>
>> By Jewel Johnson
>>
>>  I called the farm to ask if I could come by and see the birds, and
>> I told the woman who answered exactly why I wanted to visit.
>> She assured me the chickens are treated well, and I could stop by
>> some time the next week. I had some spare time on a Saturday,
>> so I followed the address listed in the phone book to find the farm.
>> ....'http://www.peacefulprairie.org/eNews/Spring07/free-rangeFarm.html
>
>What's the point of 'rescuing' farm animals when other animals will
>simply be slaughtered in their place?
>
>For example, every year the U.S. President 'pardons' the Thanksgiving
>turkey, causing another turkey to be killed, cooked, and eaten
>instead.
>
>Animal rights activists recently protested against slaughtering horses
>to sell the meat for human consumption. The meat can still be sold
>for animal consumption, such as to make dog food, but it suddenly
>becomes 'inhumane' if a person eats the same dead horse carcass.

There will always be mentally challenged people pushing such
insane ideas. That's not the problem. The problem is when they are
allowed to force their dishonesty on everone else! When they present
the idea that it's ethically okay for other animals to eat horse meat
but not for humans it's because they are mentally challenged, but wtf
would cause other hopefully more normal people who are in the position
of deciding what the laws are, to go along with such obvious idiocy???
Instead of saying: 'oh, okay, if it bothers YOU then no one else will
be allowed to eat horse meat', why not say something like: 'it's none
of your damn business whether or not other people eat horse meat, and
you have a huge egotism problem to think people who don't even know
you should be careful that their diet doesn't include anything that
happenst to disturb an idiot like yourself. GET OUT!!!

D*@.
2009-07-13 13:14:50 EST
On Sat, 11 Jul 2009 11:33:38 +0100, "Opearl" <private@iol.ie> wrote:
>....'
>http://www.peacefulprairie.org/eNews/Spring07/free-rangeFarm.html

"When I reached the property, I saw one metal chicken "house/shed"
with no windows"
. . .
"I approached the door of the shed where I saw a window with an open
sign posted."

Probably not a damn thing written on that page is true. If there
is any bit of truth at all, I wonder what it could be......

D*@.
2009-07-13 13:16:03 EST
On Mon, 13 Jul 2009 09:34:19 +0100, "O.pearl" <private@iol.ie> wrote:

>I wanted to add on to my flock I had at home. He wanted
>to get a better idea of what I was all about. I described what I do.
>I rescue parrots, and I rescue chickens when I can, and it's against my
>ethics to pay for chickens or to purchase them from a hatchery or any
>store. After some peaceful conversation, he said he would give me some
>birds.

LOL!!! No doubt because you had let him know that if he didn't
"give" you some of his chickens you would come back and steal as many
as you wanted to when there was no one around, and you would do
whatever other damage you felt like doing while you were stealing
birds. I wouldn't be at all suprised if you "warned" him about the
possibility of some type of epidemic breaking out in his flock also,
if he didn't give you some of his chickens...

Dank 110100100
2009-07-13 15:22:13 EST
On Jul 13, 2:34 am, "O.pearl" <priv...@iol.ie> wrote:
> "Dank 110100100" <dank...@rocketmail.com> wrote in messagenews:cf1cde94-cd79-4054-86e5-d636942466d6@q40g2000prh.googlegroups.com...
> : Animal rights activists recently protested against slaughtering horses
> : to sell the meat for human consumption.  The meat can still be sold
> : for animal consumption, such as to make dog food, but it suddenly
> : becomes 'inhumane' if a person eats the same dead horse carcass.
>
> 'A lesser-known issue is that of horse slaughter for pet food and for zoos to
> feed to carnivores. According to Dane, these facilities are not required to be
> inspected by the USDA, so statistics are not available. The existence of such
> facilities usually goes unnoticed until there is a cruelty allegation and
> investigation. The International Society for the Protection of Exotic Animal
> Kind and Livestock, Inc. alleges that one such slaughterhouse in New Jersey
> kills the horses in an inhumane manner, and the case is still under investigation.
> According to Dane, most major pet food companies do not use horse meat,
> so there's little chance of buying cat or dog food that supports horse slaughter.
> ..'http://animalrights.about.com/od/animalsusedforfood/a/HorseSlaughterA...

As a carnivore, I fail to understand why it is more 'inhumane' to
slaughter horses for food than cows. I often think the animal rights
activists use some sort of 'cuteness' factor, where animals they find
physically attractive are entitled to more protection than those
considered unattractive.

Most animal activism is done in the defense of 'cute' animals such as
dolphins, pandas, horses, cats, dogs, koalas, ducks, tigers, etc.
Uglier animals such as cows, chickens, pigs, etc. are defended against
inhumane farming conditions, but rarely defended against slaughter and
consumption, as we see with horses.

While I am repulsed by the thought of eating cats and dogs, other
cultures have no problem with consuming them, and would probably think
Westerners are weird for keeping them as pets. Western animal rights
activists actually fight efforts to sell feral cats to Asian
restaurants, preferring they be euthanized and dumped in landfills
rather than be used to feed hungry humans.

Though leftists usually promote tolerance of non-Western culture and
customs, in this case they display ethnocentricity by condemning
cultures that consume animals that are not traditionally eaten by
Westerners, such as cats and horses.

And only the most fanatical animal rights activists defend the rights
of insects, particularly those insects most of us find to be ugly and
creepy, such as flies and roaches. I seriously doubt even the most
hardcore PETA member is going to capture a cockroach in his pantry and
release it into the wild.

Dutch
2009-07-13 15:40:28 EST
Dank 110100100 wrote:
> I seriously doubt even the most
> hardcore PETA member is going to capture a cockroach in his pantry and
> release it into the wild.

You're new to AR debates aren't you?

Jweeks
2009-07-13 16:43:36 EST
On Jul 11, 6:33 am, "Opearl" <priv...@iol.ie> wrote:
> 'A Rare Glimpse Inside A "Free-Range" Egg Facility
>
> By Jewel Johnson
>
>  I called the farm to ask if I could come by and see the birds, and
> I told the woman who answered exactly why I wanted to visit.
> She assured me the chickens are treated well, and I could stop by
> some time the next week. I had some spare time on a Saturday,
> so I followed the address listed in the phone book to find the farm.
> ....'http://www.peacefulprairie.org/eNews/Spring07/free-rangeFarm.html

Thank you for writing about this...whether people believe you or not,
you know what you saw.
I do buy cage-free, vegetarian or free-range eggs and this is good to
know.

~Jenny

Dank 110100100
2009-07-13 22:59:00 EST
On Jul 13, 2:43 pm, jweeks <seastar2...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> I do buy cage-free, vegetarian or free-range eggs and this is good to
> know.

I voted against California's Proposition 2 just because Oprah endorsed
it.