Vegetarian Discussion: The Industrialization Of The Food Supply Through Poisoning And Imitation Additives; Laissez Faire Economic Policies Over Citizen Safety

The Industrialization Of The Food Supply Through Poisoning And Imitation Additives; Laissez Faire Economic Policies Over Citizen Safety

Page:  Previous  1 2   (First | Last)

Day Brown
2009-06-21 23:09:00 EST
Immortalista wrote:
> When the world moved from a primarily agrarian model to industrial, we
> lost touch with our ability to recognize food in its natural state and
> began to eat food processed, prepared, and created to make the most
> profit possible -- even at a risk to the eater's health.
>
> Consumers and governments must recognize the continuous pressure on
> companies to make money by substituting nutritious, genuine
> ingredients with adulterants.
>
> People cannot even recognize good food because they have never tasted
> it.
>
> Food fraud has always been and will always be with us. People in
> advanced countries with well-established regulatory agencies should
> not be so confident they are, indeed, what they think they eat.
>
> The longer the chain from producer to eater, the more opportunities
> for chicanery, and the more difficult it becomes to detect the fraud.
>
> Some countries enamored with laissez-faire economic policies,
> repeatedly refused to pass laws to protect the public from
> unscrupulous food vendors.
>
> ...contaminated, adulterated, and fake foods in the modern era, the
> flavor of lead salts, so delicious that they were used to sweeten
> wine; the fad for mock food in wartime Britain (mock chops made of
> flour, potato, and onion); Campbell's concealed marbles in the soup
> photographed for advertisements, to make it look thicker...
>
> Swindled: The Dark History of Food Fraud,
> from Poisoned Candy to Counterfeit Coffee
> by Bee Wilson
> http://www.amazon.com/Swindled-History-Poisoned-Counterfeit-Coffee/dp/0691138206
> http://www.treehuggersofamerica.org/
true, but you're preaching to the choir here. Too many are too demented
from the sugar cereals, junk food, and soda they were raised on to have
the attention span needed to read this much less understand it. They are
also the majority that elects the leadership, so nothing will be done.
Page:  Previous  1 2   (First | Last)