Vegetarian Discussion: What's All This About "God"?

What's All This About "God"?

Dutch
2009-06-05 17:52:35 EST
At the risk of being incomplete I am going to be brief.

First of all, I hate the word "God", like most religious artifacts it is
loaded with negative connotations resulting from the terrible job humans
have done expressing the spiritual realm through their "religions" which
have been almost universally divisive, disastrous and destructive.

Science has performed wonders, but has not really addressed the spritual
realm.

Here's the thing, in basic terms, as I see it, ymmv.

There is a "flow" to life, an undercurrent of energy that is omnipresent. We
have only two choices, fight it or flow with it. If we fight it, try to
control it or impose our will on it we create conflict and discord. Things
will go badly for us, people will steer clear of us, we will be frustrated
and unsuccessful every step of the way. We will be energy vacuums.

If we give ourselves up to the flow, the universe opens up to us, we create
harmony, and spread positive energy. People will smile at us and cooperate
with us, they will feel good about themselves around us. We will have
boundless energy and creativity. Life will unfold spontaneously as it
should. The road will rise up to meet our step, all because we surrendered
to the flow of life. We feel connected and a part of everything. People who
excel at sports and in social situations have discovered the flow. Being in
TOTAL harmony with the flow is what is called Nirvana.

This flow of life or undercurrent of animating energy is what man has sensed
and spoken of since the beginning of time, and turned into religions.
Unfortunately the limited mind with its un-flowing habits have made a
cock-up of it all the way, and the message is invariably lost.

This is what god means to me. If it sounds like gobbledegook to you, I'm
fine with that, although if I have to run into you during my day I hope you
don't mind if you are one of the ones in harmony with the flow, because I'm
old and I can only take encountering a few of the "fighters" each day before
needing a nap.

Thanks for listening.

Jenny6833A
2009-06-05 17:56:59 EST
On Jun 5, 2:52�pm, "Dutch" <n...@email.com> wrote:

<snip>

> This is what god means to me. If it sounds like gobbledegook to you, ....

It does.

<snip>

:-)

Jenny

Dutch
2009-06-05 18:36:00 EST
"Jenny6833A" <Jenny6833A@aol.com> wrote
On Jun 5, 2:52�pm, "Dutch" <n...@email.com> wrote:

<snip>

> This is what god means to me. If it sounds like gobbledegook to you, ....

It does.

<snip>

:-)

Jenny

Thanks for the feedback Jenny. ;^]

L. Raymond
2009-06-05 18:36:58 EST
Dutch wrote:

> At the risk of being incomplete I am going to be brief.

No, you are being a jerk. Again. There is nothing in all the world
that is on topic for all the groups to which you've sent this.

> Science has performed wonders, but has not really addressed the spritual
> realm.

Prove there is a spiritual realm, first, then whine to everyone later.

And quit trolling.

--
L. Raymond

Santolina Chamaecyparissus
2009-06-05 18:47:03 EST
On Jun 5, 2:52 pm, "Dutch" <n...@email.com> wrote:
> At the risk of being incomplete I am going to be brief.
>
> First of all, I hate the word "God", like most religious artifacts it is
> loaded with negative connotations resulting from the terrible job humans
> have done expressing the spiritual realm through their "religions" which
> have been almost universally divisive, disastrous and destructive.

(snip)

> This is what god means to me.

God with a big G is the proper name of an ancient tribal deity. The
alleged energy flow of which you speak is something different. You
might want to consider a different name for it.

> If it sounds like gobbledegook to you, I'm
> fine with that,

Good, because it does.

Dutch
2009-06-05 19:08:15 EST

"L. Raymond" <badaddress@....com> wrote
> Dutch wrote:
>
>> At the risk of being incomplete I am going to be brief.
>
> No, you are being a jerk. Again. There is nothing in all the world
> that is on topic for all the groups to which you've sent this.
>
>> Science has performed wonders, but has not really addressed the spritual
>> realm.
>
> Prove there is a spiritual realm, first, then whine to everyone later.
>
> And quit trolling.

I reject everything you just said, categorically, and..

The very last thing on earth that I am inclined to do is to capitulate to
some rude bastard barking orders at me.

In short, NO.

It's officially time for you to STFU until you have something worthwhile to
contribute.

Mike Franklin
2009-06-05 19:08:37 EST
On Jun 5, 2:52 pm, "Dutch" <n...@email.com> wrote:
> At the risk of being incomplete I am going to be brief.

That's almost never a mistake.

> Science has performed wonders, but has not really addressed the spritual
> realm.

The spiritual realm does not seem to ever manifest itself. That which
does not manifest is indistinguishable from that which does not
exist. Science can not address that which does not exist.

[ snip description of life flow energy stuff ]

> This is what god means to me.

The word "god" has a specific meaning, one that is quite a bit
different from the way you are using it. Using different meanings for
common words is a good way to be misunderstood, and so I wonder why
you do it. Is there some reason, perhaps, that you are reluctant to
let go of that word?

Mike

Raven1
2009-06-05 19:10:19 EST
On Fri, 5 Jun 2009 14:52:35 -0700, "Dutch" <no@email.com> wrote:

>At the risk of being incomplete I am going to be brief.
>
>First of all, I hate the word "God", like most religious artifacts it is
>loaded with negative connotations resulting from the terrible job humans
>have done expressing the spiritual realm through their "religions" which
>have been almost universally divisive, disastrous and destructive.
>
>Science has performed wonders, but has not really addressed the spritual
>realm.
>
>Here's the thing, in basic terms, as I see it, ymmv.
>
>There is a "flow" to life, an undercurrent of energy that is omnipresent. We
>have only two choices, fight it or flow with it. If we fight it, try to
>control it or impose our will on it we create conflict and discord. Things
>will go badly for us, people will steer clear of us, we will be frustrated
>and unsuccessful every step of the way. We will be energy vacuums.
>
>If we give ourselves up to the flow, the universe opens up to us, we create
>harmony, and spread positive energy. People will smile at us and cooperate
>with us, they will feel good about themselves around us. We will have
>boundless energy and creativity. Life will unfold spontaneously as it
>should. The road will rise up to meet our step, all because we surrendered
>to the flow of life. We feel connected and a part of everything. People who
>excel at sports and in social situations have discovered the flow. Being in
>TOTAL harmony with the flow is what is called Nirvana.
>
>This flow of life or undercurrent of animating energy is what man has sensed
>and spoken of since the beginning of time, and turned into religions.
>Unfortunately the limited mind with its un-flowing habits have made a
>cock-up of it all the way, and the message is invariably lost.
>
>This is what god means to me. If it sounds like gobbledegook to you,

"New Age Psychobabble" would be closer to my impression.

> I'm
>fine with that, although if I have to run into you during my day I hope you
>don't mind if you are one of the ones in harmony with the flow, because I'm
>old and I can only take encountering a few of the "fighters" each day before
>needing a nap.
>
>Thanks for listening.

Dutch
2009-06-05 19:13:06 EST

"Santolina chamaecyparissus" <santolina@juno.com> wrote
On Jun 5, 2:52 pm, "Dutch" <n...@email.com> wrote:
> At the risk of being incomplete I am going to be brief.
>
> First of all, I hate the word "God", like most religious artifacts it is
> loaded with negative connotations resulting from the terrible job humans
> have done expressing the spiritual realm through their "religions" which
> have been almost universally divisive, disastrous and destructive.

(snip)

> This is what god means to me.

> God with a big G is the proper name of an ancient tribal deity.

That is not what it means in the broader sense. That is an arcane meaning of
the word. Words are not the issue.

> The alleged energy flow of which you speak is something different.

That is my point, I don't think it is.

> You might want to consider a different name for it.

As you see in the beginning of my post, I don't like the word, I used it
because it is the most recognizable spiritual reference point.

> If it sounds like gobbledegook to you, I'm
> fine with that,

> Good, because it does.

Like I said, fine by me. Interesting that everyone finds it meaningful to
respond to this one-off remark, while making no attempt to deal with the
actual content.

Enkidu
2009-06-05 19:56:14 EST
On Fri, 05 Jun 2009 14:52:35 -0700, Dutch wrote:

> Science has performed wonders, but has not really addressed the spritual
> realm.

What's the "spiritual realm"? What exactly has science failed to address
beyond disproving every specific claim made by those who propose a
"spiritual realm" exists?

--
Enkidu

"I still say a church steeple with a lightening rod on top shows a lack
of confidence."
-- Doug McLeod