Vegetarian Discussion: HEALTH BENEFITS OF BEING A VEGETARIAN

HEALTH BENEFITS OF BEING A VEGETARIAN

And/or Www.mantra.com/jai Dr. Jai Maharaj
2008-12-26 03:16:51 EST
Health Benefits of Being a Vegetarian

http://www.vegetarian-restaurants.net

According to studies, vegetarians have better health than
people that eat meat. They have lower rates of coronary
artery disease, gallstones, cancer (particularly lung and
colon cancer), kidney stones, colon disease, diabetes and
high blood pressure. It has been shown that sometimes a
vegetarian diet can help cure these diseases. A vegetarian
is also less likely to be overweight than a non-vegetarian.

In 1961, the Journal of the American Medical Association
stated that ninety to ninety-seven percent of heart
disease, the cause of more than half the deaths in the
United States, could be prevented by a vegetarian diet.

The American Heart Association report states, "In well-
documented population studies using standard methods of
diet and coronary disease assessment\ufffdevidence suggests that
a high-saturated-fat diet is an essential factor for a high
incidence of coronary heart disease."

In 1990, the British Medical Journal Lancet reported on a
study by Dr Dean Ornish of the University of California. Dr
Ornish found that a vegetarian diet reversed clogging of
the arteries in patients with serious heart disease.

In 1990, Dr Walter Willet, who conducted a study of diet
and colon cancer, said, "If you step back and look at the
data, the optimum amount of red meat you eat should be
zero."

The National Academy of Science reported in 1983 that
"people may be able to prevent many common cancers by
eating less fatty meats and more vegetables and grain."

The USDA recommends that people reduce saturated fat and
cholesterol, which are in high amounts in animal products,
and low in vegetarian diets.

In his Notes on the Causation of Cancer, Rollo Russell
writes, "I have found of twenty-five nations eating flesh
largely, nineteen had a high cancer rate and only one had a
low rate, and that of thirty-five nations eating little or
no flesh, none had a high rate."

Various studies have shown that vegetarians have lower
blood pressure than non-vegetarians.

Vegetarians have much lower cholesterol levels than people
that eat meat. Heart disease is found much less in
vegetarians. Studies have also shown that vegetarians have
up to half the cancer rate than those of non-vegetarians.
Cases of breast cancer are much lower in countries that
have low meat diets.

Vegetarians eat more antioxidants such as vitamin C,
vitamin E, beta-carotenes and phytochemicals.
Phyotochemicals are components in plants that help to
prevent disease. Antioxidants decrease the chance of
getting heart disease, cancer and other diseases.

Eating red meat increases the chance of dying from cancer
of the breast and colon, heart disease and strokes. Meat
eaters have much higher rates of cancer than vegetarians.
Cancer and cardiovascular diseases are linked to diets with
a high amount of saturated fat (meat) and with a low amount
of fiber (meat).

Animal products are high in sodium, which causes the blood
to retain water and also causes plaque to build up in the
arteries, lowering the flow of blood, which are major
causes of high blood pressure.

According to a study done in England for 12 years of 5,015
meat eaters and 6,115 vegetarians, it was found that
vegetarians had 40% less chance of getting cancer.

According to William Castelli, MD, director of the
Framingham Heart Study, vegetarians live three to six years
longer than meat eaters. He said, "vegetarians have the
best diet. They have the lowest rate of coronary disease of
any group in the country and they have a fraction of our
heart attack rate and they have only 40% of our cancer
rate."

Grains and plant foods contain fiber, while animal products
contain almost none. Because fiber is necessary for proper
stool production, lack of proper fiber accounts for
societies with meat-based diets to have higher cases of
colon cancer. The main reasons why people need to take
laxatives is because of lack of fiber in their diet and not
drinking enough water.

There were guidelines published in Circulation: Journal of
the American Heart Association (AHA). These guidelines were
compiled by members of the AHA's Nutrition Committee with
the cooperation of the American Cancer Society, National
Institutes of Health, and the American Academy of
Pediatrics.

Richard J Deckelbaum, MD, a co-author of the journal
article, is a professor of nutrition at Columbia University
and a member of the AHA Nutrition Committee. Edward A
Fisher, MD, PhD, a co-author of the article, is director of
lipoprotein research at New York's Mount Sinai
Cardiovascular Institute.

Their recommendations are that a healthy diet consists of
getting 30% of total calories from fat and no more than 10%
of total calories from saturated fat, and 55% of total
calories should come from complex carbohydrates such as
grains, cereals, vegetables and fruits. It is also
recommended that a person eat only enough calories to
maintain their body weight. Problems come from eating too
much fat, especially saturated fats from meat and eggs,
eating too many calories, and getting too much calories
from salt and sugar.

Because people in the US eat good amounts of meat,
Americans eat five times as much protein as is recommended.
An excess of protein can leach calcium from the bones,
which is major cause of bone disorder.

It is important to get enough leafy vegetables that are
high in antioxidants, which are good for overall health.

Some Important Guidelines

1 Eat a variety of foods.
2 Mainly eat foods from plant sources.
3 Don't eat too much salt or sugar.
4 Eat at least six servings of grains, breads and pastas.
5 Eat at least five servings of vegetables and fruits.
6 Avoid foods high in fat, especially those coming from
animal sources.

Source -
http://www.vegetarian-restaurants.net/OtherInfo/HealthBenefit.htm

Visit the Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine
for excellent food recommendations:

http://www.pcrm.org

WHY HINDUS DON'T EAT MEAT

Hinduism Today
http://www.hinduismtoday.com

Besides being an expression of compassion for animals,
vegetarianism is followed for ecological and health
rationales

REASONS

In the past fifty years, millions of meat-eaters -- Hindus
and non-Hindus -- have made the personal decision to stop
eating the flesh of other creatures.

There are five major motivations for such a decision:

1. The Dharmic Law Reason

Ahinsa, the law of noninjury, is the Hindu's first duty
in fulfilling religious obligations to God and God's
creation as defined by Vedic scripture.

2. The Karmic Consequences Reason

All of our actions, including our choice of food, have
Karmic consequences. By involving oneself in the cycle of
inflicting injury, pain and death, even indirectly by
eating other creatures, one must in the future experience
in equal measure the suffering caused.

3. The Spiritual Reason

Food is the source of the body's chemistry, and what we
ingest affects our consciousnes, emotions and experiential
patterns. If one wants to live in higher consciousness, in
peace and happiness and love for all creatures, then he
cannot eat meat, fish, shellfish, fowl or eggs. By
ingesting the grosser chemistries of animal foods, one
introduces into the body and mind anger, jealousy, anxiety,
suspicion and a terrible fear of death, all of which are
locked into the the flesh of the butchered creatures. For
these reasons, vegetarians live in higher consciousness and
meat-eaters abide in lower consciousness.

4. The Health Reason

Medical studies prove that a vegetarian diet is easier
to digest, provides a wider ranger of nutrients and imposes
fewer burdens and impurities on the body. Vegetarians are
less susceptible to all the major diseases that afflict
contemporary humanity, and thus live longer, healthier,
more productive lives. They have fewer physical
complaints, less frequent visits to the doctor, fewer
dental problems and smaller medical bills. Their immune
system is stronger, their bodies are purer, more refined
and skin more beautiful.

5. The Ecological Reason

Planet Earth is suffereing. In large measure, the
escalating loss of species, destruction of ancient
rainforests to create pasture lands for live stock, loss of
topsoils and the consequent increase of water impurities
and air pollution have all been traced to the single fact
of meat in the human diet. No decision that we can make as
individuals or as a race can have such a dramatic effect on
the improvement of our planetary ecology as the decision
not to eat meat.

HISTORY

The book FOOD FOR THE SPIRIT, VEGETARIANISM AND THE WORLD
RELIGIONS, observes, "Despite popular knowledge of meat-
eating's adverse effects, the nonvegetarian diet became
increasingly widespread among the Hindus after the two
major invasions by foreign powers, first the Muslims and
later the British. With them came the desire to be
'civilized,' to eat as did the Saheeb. Those atually
trained in Vedic knowledge, however, never adopted a meat-
oriented diet, and the pious Hindu still observes
vegetarian principles as a matter of religious duty.

"That vegetarianism has always been widespread in India
is clear from the earliest Vedic texts. This was observed
by the ancient traveler Megasthenes and also by Fa-Hsien, a
Chinese Buddhist monk who, in the fifth century, traveled
to India in order to obtain authentic copies of the
scriptures.

"These scriptures unambiguously support the meatless
way of life. In the MAHABHARAT, for instance, the great
warrior Bheeshm explains to Yuddhishtira, eldest of the
Paandav princes, that the meat of animals is like the flesh
of one's own son. Similarly, the MANUSMRITI declares that
one should 'refrain from eating all kinds of meat,' for
such eating involves killing and and leads to Karmic
bondage (Bandh) [5.49]. Elsewhere in the Vedic literature,
the last of the great Vedic kings, Maharaja Parikshit, is
quoted as saying that 'only the animal-killer cannot relish
the message of the Absolute Truth [Shrimad Bhagvatam
10.1.4].'"

SCRIPTURE

He who desires to augment his own flesh by eating the
flesh of other creatures lives in misery in whatever
species he may take his birth. MAHABHARAT 115.47

Those high-souled persons who desire beauty,
faultlessness of limbs, long life, understanding, mental
and physical strength and memory should abstain from acts
of injury. MAHABHARAT 18.115.8

The very name of cow is Aghnya ["not to be killed"],
indicating that they should never be slaughtered. Who,
then could slay them? Surely, one who kills a cow or a
bull commits a heinous crime. MAHABHARAT, SHANTIPARV 262.47

The purchaser of flesh performs Hinsa (violence) by his
wealth; he who eats flesh does so by enjoying its taste;
the killer does Hinsa by actually tying and killing the
animal. Thus, there are three forms of killing: he who
brings flesh or sends for it, he who cuts off the limbs of
an animal, and he who purchases, sells or cooks flesh and
eats it -- all of these are to be considered meat-eaters.
MAHABHARAT, ANU 115.40

He who sees that the Lord of all is ever the same in
all that is -- immortal in the field of mortality --he sees
the truth. And when a man sees that the God in himself is
the same God in all that is, he hurts not himself by
hurting others. Then he goes, indeed, to the highest path.
BHAGVAD GEETA 13.27-28

Ahinsa is the highest Dharm. Ahinsa is the best Tapas.
Ahinsa is the greatest gift. Ahinsa is the highest self-
control. Ahinsa is the highest sacrifice. Ahinsa is the
highest power. Ahinsa is the highest friend. Ahinsa is the
highest truth. Ahinsa is the highest teaching. MAHABHARAT
18.116.37-41

What is the good way? It is the path that reflects on
how it may avoid killing any creature. TIRUKURAL 324

All that lives will press palms together in prayerful
adoration of those who refuse to slaughter and savor meat.
TIRUKURAL 260

What is virtuous conduct? It is never destroting life,
for killing leads to every other sin. TIRUKURAL 312, 321

Goodness is never one with the minds of these two: one
who wields a weapon and one who feasts on a creature's
flesh. TIRUKURAL 253

Hinduism Today
http://www.hinduismtoday.com
http://www.hindu.org

Jai Maharaj
http://tinyurl.com/24fq83
http://www.mantra.com/jai
http://www.mantra.com/jyotish
Om Shanti

Hindu Holocaust Museum
http://www.mantra.com/holocaust

Hindu life, principles, spirituality and philosophy
http://www.hindu.org
http://www.hindunet.org

The truth about Islam and Muslims
http://www.flex.com/~jai/satyamevajayate

DISCLAIMER AND CONDITIONS

fair use of copyrighted works.

copyright owner.

Rudy Canoza
2008-12-26 14:20:37 EST
not-a-doctor/not-a-Hindoo jay stevens, lying shitbag, lied:
> Health Benefits of Being a Vegetarian
>
> http://www.vegetarian-restaurants.net
>
> According to studies,

No.

Mr.Smartypants
2008-12-29 22:01:54 EST
On Dec 26, 12:20 pm, Rudy Canoza <pi...@thedismalscience.noot> wrote:
> not-a-doctor/not-a-Hindoo jay stevens, lying shitbag, lied:
>
> > Health Benefits of Being a Vegetarian
>
> >http://www.vegetarian-restaurants.net
>
> > According to studies,
>
> No.

Yes, stupid.

Rudy Canoza
2008-12-30 00:10:40 EST
Mr.Smartypants wrote:
> On Dec 26, 12:20 pm, Rudy Canoza <pi...@thedismalscience.noot> wrote:
>> not-a-doctor/not-a-Hindoo jay stevens, lying shitbag, lied:
>>
>>> Health Benefits of Being a Vegetarian
>>> http://www.vegetarian-restaurants.net
>>> According to studies,
>> No.
>

> Yes,

No, stupid - according to unsubstantiated claims.

Mr.Smartypants
2008-12-31 14:03:56 EST
On Dec 29, 10:10 pm, Rudy Canoza <pi...@thedismalscience.noot> wrote:
> Mr.Smartypants wrote:
> > On Dec 26, 12:20 pm, Rudy Canoza <pi...@thedismalscience.noot> wrote:
> >> not-a-doctor/not-a-Hindoo jay stevens, lying shitbag, lied:

> >> No.
>
> > Yes,
>
> No, stupid - according to unsubstantiated claims.

YES, stupid. Veg*ns are much healthier than those who devour the
putrifying flesh of other sentient beings.

Emma Anzai
2008-12-31 14:57:46 EST
Mr.Smartypants wrote:

> On Dec 29, 10:10 pm, Rudy Canoza <pi...@thedismalscience.noot> wrote:
>
>>Mr.Smartypants wrote:

>>>Yes,
>>
>>No, stupid - according to unsubstantiated claims.

> YES, stupid. Veg*ns are much healthier than those who devour the
> putrifying flesh of other sentient beings.

Liar.

Rudy Canoza
2008-12-31 15:02:19 EST
Mr.Smartypants wrote:
> On Dec 29, 10:10 pm, Rudy Canoza <pi...@thedismalscience.noot> wrote:
>> Mr.Smartypants wrote:
>>> Yes,
>> No, stupid - according to unsubstantiated claims.
>

> YES,

No, stupid. Unsubstantiated.

Rudy Canoza
2008-12-31 15:03:59 EST
Emma Anzai wrote:
> Mr.Smartypants wrote:

>>> No, stupid - according to unsubstantiated claims.
>
>> YES, stupid. Veg*ns are much healthier than those who devour the
>> putrifying flesh of other sentient beings.
>
> Liar.

Mr Smarmypants, Ron Hamilton, has HIV and will be dead soon.

Emma Anzai
2008-12-31 15:48:22 EST
Rudy Canoza wrote:
> Emma Anzai wrote:
>
>> Mr.Smartypants wrote:

>>> YES, stupid. Veg*ns are much healthier than those who devour the
>>> putrifying flesh of other sentient beings.
>>

>> Liar.

> Mr Smarmypants, Ron Hamilton, has HIV and will be dead soon.

So do you.