Vegetarian Discussion: My Vegetarian Christmas

My Vegetarian Christmas

Page: 1 2 3 4 5   Next  (First | Last)

New Vegetarian
2008-12-23 07:25:05 EST
Today's the day I usually buy a fresh turkey and all my fresh meat but
instead of doing that I'm clearing my cupboards and the fridge of every type
of meat and animal product that's in them. My new year's resolution is going
to start a bit early this year and it feels like a great weight has been
lifted off my shoulders. Gotta say, I'm not prepared for a Christmas without
meat and animal products because I've never tried it before. I guess I'll
just have to roast and boil a few more vegetables to fill the plate up.
There's loads of vegetarian recipes on the web to help me.

Pearl
2008-12-23 07:26:44 EST
"new vegetarian" <me@privacy.net> wrote in message news:giqlb1$rib$1@news.motzarella.org...

> Today's the day I usually buy a fresh turkey and all my fresh meat but
> instead of doing that I'm clearing my cupboards and the fridge of every type
> of meat and animal product that's in them. My new year's resolution is going
> to start a bit early this year and it feels like a great weight has been
> lifted off my shoulders. Gotta say, I'm not prepared for a Christmas without
> meat and animal products because I've never tried it before. I guess I'll
> just have to roast and boil a few more vegetables to fill the plate up.
> There's loads of vegetarian recipes on the web to help me.

'Wicked'! :) A very merry Xmas and a great New Year (Life) to you!!

New Vegetarian
2008-12-23 07:51:03 EST
Merry Xmas Pearl. :) I might not bother with all the meat substitutes and
funny milk straight away until I've tried them. I feel like I'm going in at
the deep end but I'm loving it and feeling really christmassy.

"pearl" <tea@signguestbook.ie> wrote in message
> "new vegetarian" <me@privacy.net> wrote in message
>>
>> Today's the day I usually buy a fresh turkey and all my fresh meat but
>> instead of doing that I'm clearing my cupboards and the fridge of every
>> type
>> of meat and animal product that's in them. My new year's resolution is
>> going
>> to start a bit early this year and it feels like a great weight has been
>> lifted off my shoulders. Gotta say, I'm not prepared for a Christmas
>> without
>> meat and animal products because I've never tried it before. I guess I'll
>> just have to roast and boil a few more vegetables to fill the plate up.
>> There's loads of vegetarian recipes on the web to help me.
>
> 'Wicked'! :) A very merry Xmas and a great New Year (Life) to you!!

Pearl
2008-12-23 09:11:33 EST
"new vegetarian" <me@privacy.net> wrote in message news:giqmrn$9s5$1@news.motzarella.org...

> Merry Xmas Pearl. :) I might not bother with all the meat substitutes and
> funny milk straight away until I've tried them. I feel like I'm going in at
> the deep end but I'm loving it and feeling really christmassy.

:)

'The Nativity Of Jesus The Christ
..
4. And there were in the same cave an ox, and a horse, and an ass,
and a sheep, and beneath the manger was a cat with her little ones,
and there were doves also, overhead, and each had its mate after its
kind, the male with the female.
5. Thus it came to pass that he was born in the midst of the animals
which, through the redemption of man from ignorance and selfishness,
he came to redeem from their sufferings, by the manifestation or the
sons and the daughters of God.
...'
http://reluctant-messenger.com/essene/gospel_1.htm#Lection40

New Vegetarian
2008-12-23 09:55:33 EST

> "new vegetarian" <me@privacy.net> wrote in message
>>
>> Merry Xmas Pearl. :) I might not bother with all the meat substitutes and
>> funny milk straight away until I've tried them. I feel like I'm going in
>> at
>> the deep end but I'm loving it and feeling really christmassy.
>
> :)
>
> 'The Nativity Of Jesus The Christ
> ..
> 4. And there were in the same cave an ox, and a horse, and an ass,
> and a sheep, and beneath the manger was a cat with her little ones,
> and there were doves also, overhead, and each had its mate after its
> kind, the male with the female.
> 5. Thus it came to pass that he was born in the midst of the animals
> which, through the redemption of man from ignorance and selfishness,
> he came to redeem from their sufferings, by the manifestation or the
> sons and the daughters of God.
> ...'
> http://reluctant-messenger.com/essene/gospel_1.htm#Lection40

You know your bible well. Better than me. I think I'm an atheist but I like
most of what the bible encourages. When I ate meat yesterday I was being
ignorant and selfish. Today the season of good will actually means something
to me and I feel great about it. I've been holding myself back. I've always
wanted to go vegetarian but didn't dare. Now that I've done it I can really
look forward to christmas day and the rest of my life with a clear
conscience. They have rights and it's about time I stopped believing it's
alright to eat them cos they're dead already.

Pearl
2008-12-23 12:22:41 EST
"new vegetarian" <me@privacy.net> wrote in message news:giqu56$gnb$1@news.motzarella.org...

> "pearl" <tea@signguestbook.ie> wrote in message
..
> > 'The Nativity Of Jesus The Christ
> > ..
> > 4. And there were in the same cave an ox, and a horse, and an ass,
> > and a sheep, and beneath the manger was a cat with her little ones,
> > and there were doves also, overhead, and each had its mate after its
> > kind, the male with the female.
> > 5. Thus it came to pass that he was born in the midst of the animals
> > which, through the redemption of man from ignorance and selfishness,
> > he came to redeem from their sufferings, by the manifestation or the
> > sons and the daughters of God.
> > ...'
> > http://reluctant-messenger.com/essene/gospel_1.htm#Lection40
> >
> You know your bible well. Better than me. I think I'm an atheist but I like
> most of what the bible encourages. When I ate meat yesterday I was being
> ignorant and selfish. Today the season of good will actually means something
> to me and I feel great about it. I've been holding myself back. I've always
> wanted to go vegetarian but didn't dare. Now that I've done it I can really
> look forward to christmas day and the rest of my life with a clear
> conscience. They have rights and it's about time I stopped believing it's
> alright to eat them cos they're dead already.

I know the essene scripture fairly well. You'll not find that passage in the
New Testament. http://reluctant-messenger.com/essene/gospel_intro.htm :

'"The all pitying love of Our Savior embraces not only mankind, but also
the so-called lower creatures of God, sharers with us of the one breath of
life, and with us on the road of ascent to that which is higher. Never has
the providence with which the All-Merciful watches over man and beast
alike been more impressively brought home to us than in the saying of the
Savior, 'Are not five sparrows sold for two farthings, but not one of them
is forgotten by God'. How were it possible to doubt that the Savior would
have pity and compassion on the creatures who must bear their pain in
silence? Would it not seem a blasphemy if it were said that He would
behold without pity or succor the ill-treatment of helpless animals? Nay,
rather, when he brought redemption to a world sunk in selfishness, hard
heartedness and misery, and proclaimed the gospel of all embracing love,
there was a share in this redemption for all suffering creatures; since when
man opened his heart to the divine love, there could be no room left in it
for pitiless hardness toward the other creatures of God, who have, like
himself, been called into life with a capacity for enjoyment and suffering.

'Those who bear the mark of the Redeemer practice His all pitying love;
and how little it is that the minimum of compassion for helpless creatures
demand of us; Only not to inflict on them torture; to help them when they
are in trouble, or when they appeal to us for succor, and if of necessity
we take their life, to let it be a speedy death with the least pain - a gentle
sleep. But, alas, how little we are penetrated with these divine lessons of
mercy and compassion. How many grievous tortures are inflicted on
them, under the pretense of science, or to gratify an unnatural appetite,
or cruel lusts, or the promptings of vanity!"

D*@.
2008-12-23 16:24:45 EST
On Tue, 23 Dec 2008 14:55:33 -0000, "new vegetarian" <me@privacy.net> wrote:

>"pearl" <tea@signguestbook.ie> wrote in message
>> "new vegetarian" <me@privacy.net> wrote in message
>>>
>>> Merry Xmas Pearl. :) I might not bother with all the meat substitutes and
>>> funny milk straight away until I've tried them. I feel like I'm going in
>>> at
>>> the deep end but I'm loving it and feeling really christmassy.
>>
>> :)
>>
>> 'The Nativity Of Jesus The Christ
>> ..
>> 4. And there were in the same cave an ox, and a horse, and an ass,
>> and a sheep, and beneath the manger was a cat with her little ones,
>> and there were doves also, overhead, and each had its mate after its
>> kind, the male with the female.
>> 5. Thus it came to pass that he was born in the midst of the animals
>> which, through the redemption of man from ignorance and selfishness,
>> he came to redeem from their sufferings, by the manifestation or the
>> sons and the daughters of God.
>> ...'
>> http://reluctant-messenger.com/essene/gospel_1.htm#Lection40
>>

>You know your bible well.

What she posted is not from the Bible. It's from some anti-Bible
she likes better. What I posted is from the Bible, and it conflicts
with what her anti-Bible has to say.

>Better than me. I think I'm an atheist but I like
>most of what the bible encourages. When I ate meat yesterday I was being
>ignorant and selfish. Today the season of good will actually means something
>to me and I feel great about it. I've been holding myself back. I've always
>wanted to go vegetarian but didn't dare. Now that I've done it I can really
>look forward to christmas day and the rest of my life with a clear
>conscience. They have rights and it's about time I stopped believing it's
>alright to eat them cos they're dead already.

· Vegans contribute to the deaths of animals by their use of
to avoid the following items containing animal by-products
in order to be successful:

Tires, Paper, Upholstery, Floor waxes, Glass, Water
Filters, Rubber, Fertilizer, Antifreeze, Ceramics, Insecticides,
Insulation, Linoleum, Plastic, Textiles, Blood factors, Collagen,
Heparin, Insulin, Solvents, Biodegradable Detergents, Herbicides,
Gelatin Capsules, Adhesive Tape, Laminated Wood Products,
Plywood, Paneling, Wallpaper and Wallpaper Paste, Cellophane
Wrap and Tape, Abrasives, Steel Ball Bearings

being vegan.
From the life and death of a thousand pound grass raised

D*@.
2008-12-23 16:28:37 EST
On Tue, 23 Dec 2008 15:51:12 -0800, "Dutch" <no@email.com> wrote:

>"new vegetarian" <me@privacy.net> wrote in message
>>

>> "pearl" <tea@signguestbook.ie> wrote in message
>>> "new vegetarian" <me@privacy.net> wrote in message

>>> :)
>>>
>>> 'The Nativity Of Jesus The Christ
>>> ..
>>> 4. And there were in the same cave an ox, and a horse, and an ass,
>>> and a sheep, and beneath the manger was a cat with her little ones,
>>> and there were doves also, overhead, and each had its mate after its
>>> kind, the male with the female.
>>> 5. Thus it came to pass that he was born in the midst of the animals
>>> which, through the redemption of man from ignorance and selfishness,
>>> he came to redeem from their sufferings, by the manifestation or the
>>> sons and the daughters of God.
>>> ...'
>>> http://reluctant-messenger.com/essene/gospel_1.htm#Lection40
>>>

>> You know your bible well. Better than me. I think I'm an atheist but I
>> like most of what the bible encourages. When I ate meat yesterday I was
>> being ignorant and selfish. Today the season of good will actually means
>> something to me and I feel great about it. I've been holding myself back.
>> I've always wanted to go vegetarian but didn't dare. Now that I've done it
>> I can really look forward to christmas day and the rest of my life with a
>> clear conscience. They have rights and it's about time I stopped believing
>> it's alright to eat them cos they're dead already.
>
>Regarding your meatless Christmas, there's no reason to insert any
>"substitutes" if you choose not to have meat, there is always too much food
>on a Christmas table anyway. Have more vegetables and dessert!
>
>On your latter point, don't fall into the idea that meatless meals don't
>involve animal death and suffering, that's simply not the case, animals die
>collaterally as a result of plowing, planting, spraying harvesting, storage
>and transport.. There is no reason to feel or *project* guilt about your
>food, meat or otherwise, just enjoy and be grateful. People like "pearl"
>live on this sanctimony, don't you.

How is that worse than your insistence that it's okay to eat whatever
you want AS LONG AS you don't consider the animals when you do so,
do you have any idea?

D*@.
2008-12-23 16:39:21 EST
On Tue, 23 Dec 2008 14:11:33 -0000, "pearl" <tea@signguestbook.ie> wrote:

>"new vegetarian" <me@privacy.net> wrote in message news:giqmrn$9s5$1@news.motzarella.org...
>>
>> Merry Xmas Pearl. :) I might not bother with all the meat substitutes and
>> funny milk straight away until I've tried them. I feel like I'm going in at
>> the deep end but I'm loving it and feeling really christmassy.
>
>:)
>
>'The Nativity Of Jesus The Christ
>..
>4. And there were in the same cave an ox, and a horse, and an ass,
>and a sheep, and beneath the manger was a cat with her little ones,
>and there were doves also, overhead, and each had its mate after its
>kind, the male with the female.
>5. Thus it came to pass that he was born in the midst of the animals
>which, through the redemption of man from ignorance and selfishness,
>he came to redeem from their sufferings, by the manifestation or the
>sons and the daughters of God.
>...'
>http://reluctant-messenger.com/essene/gospel_1.htm#Lection40

Mark 7
18 "Are you so dull?" he asked. "Don't you see that nothing
that enters a man from the outside can make him `unclean'?
19 For it doesn't go into his heart but into his stomach, and
then out of his body." (In saying this, Jesus declared all foods
"clean.")

Mark 14
12 On the first day of the Feast of Unleavened Bread, when it
was customary to sacrifice the Passover lamb, Jesus' disciples
asked him, "Where do you want us to go and make preparations
for you to eat the Passover?"
13 So he sent two of his disciples, telling them, "Go into the city,
and a man carrying a jar of water will meet you. Follow him.
14 Say to the owner of the house he enters, 'The Teacher asks:
Where is my guest room, where I may eat the Passover with my
disciples?'

(refer to Exodus 12 for details about the Passover food)

Exodus 12
1 The LORD said to Moses and Aaron in Egypt,
2 "This month is to be for you the first month, the first month of
your year.
3 Tell the whole community of Israel that on the tenth day of this
month each man is to take a lamb for his family, one for each
household.
[...]
6 Take care of them until the fourteenth day of the month, when
all the people of the community of Israel must slaughter them
at twilight.
7 Then they are to take some of the blood and put it on the sides
and tops of the doorframes of the houses where they eat the
lambs.
8 That same night they are to eat the meat roasted over the fire,
along with bitter herbs, and bread made without yeast.
9 Do not eat the meat raw or cooked in water, but roast it over
the fire-head, legs and inner parts.
[...]
14 "This is a day you are to commemorate; for the generations to come you
shall celebrate it as a festival to the LORD -a lasting ordinance.

Luke 2
22 When the time of their purification according to the Law of
Moses had been completed, Joseph and Mary took him to
Jerusalem to present him to the Lord
23 (as it is written in the Law of the Lord, "Every firstborn male is
to be consecrated to the Lord" ),
24 and to offer a sacrifice in keeping with what is said in the Law
of the Lord: "a pair of doves or two young pigeons."

Luke 24
39 Look at my hands and my feet. It is I myself! Touch me and see;
a ghost does not have flesh and bones, as you see I have."
40 When he had said this, he showed them his hands and feet.
41 And while they still did not believe it because of joy and
amazement, he asked them, "Do you have anything here to eat?"
42 They gave him a piece of broiled fish,
43 and he took it and ate it in their presence.

John 21
4 Early in the morning, Jesus stood on the shore, but the disciples
did not realize that it was Jesus.
5 He called out to them, "Friends, haven't you any fish?" "No," they
answered.
6 He said, "Throw your net on the right side of the boat and you will
find some." When they did, they were unable to haul the net in
because of the large number of fish.
[...]
9 When they landed, they saw a fire of burning coals there with fish
on it, and some bread.
10 Jesus said to them, "Bring some of the fish you have just caught."
11 Simon Peter climbed aboard and dragged the net ashore. It was full
of large fish, 153, but even with so many the net was not torn.
12 Jesus said to them, "Come and have breakfast."

Acts 10
9 About noon the following day as they were on their journey and
approaching the city, Peter went up on the roof to pray.
10 He became hungry and wanted something to eat, and while the meal
was being prepared, he fell into a trance.
11 He saw heaven opened and something like a large sheet being let
down to earth by its four corners.
12 It contained all kinds of four-footed animals, as well as reptiles
of the earth and birds of the air.
13 Then a voice told him, "Get up, Peter. Kill and eat."
14 "Surely not, Lord!" Peter replied. "I have never eaten anything
impure or unclean."
15 The voice spoke to him a second time, "Do not call anything impure
that God has made clean."
16 This happened three times, and immediately the sheet was taken back
to heaven.

Romans 14
1 Accept him whose faith is weak, without passing judgment on
disputable matters.
2 One man's faith allows him to eat everything, but another man,
whose faith is weak, eats only vegetables.
3 The man who eats everything must not look down on him who
does not, and the man who does not eat everything must not
condemn the man who does, for God has accepted him.

1 Corinthians 10
25 Eat anything sold in the meat market without raising questions of
conscience,
26 for, "The earth is the Lord's, and everything in it."

http://bible.gospelcom.net/bible

Dragonblaze
2008-12-23 17:59:15 EST
On 23 Dec, 14:55, "new vegetarian" <m...@privacy.net> wrote:
> "pearl" <t...@signguestbook.ie> wrote in message

> > "new vegetarian" <m...@privacy.net> wrote in message
>
> >> Merry Xmas Pearl. :) I might not bother with all the meat substitutes and
> >> funny milk straight away until I've tried them. I feel like I'm going in
> >> at
> >> the deep end but I'm loving it and feeling really christmassy.
>
> > :)
>
> > 'The Nativity Of Jesus The Christ
> > ..
> > 4. And there were in the same cave an ox, and a horse, and an ass,
> > and a sheep, and beneath the manger was a cat with her little ones,
> > and there were doves also, overhead, and each had its mate after its
> > kind, the male with the female.
> > 5. Thus it came to pass that he was born in the midst of the animals
> > which, through the redemption of man from ignorance and selfishness,
> > he came to redeem from their sufferings, by the manifestation or the
> > sons and the daughters of God.
> > ...'
> >http://reluctant-messenger.com/essene/gospel_1.htm#Lection40
>
> You know your bible well. Better than me. I think I'm an atheist but I like
> most of what the bible encourages.

[snip]

What pearl is quoting is not from the Bible, but from a fake 19th
century gospel. I'd ignore that were I you.
Page: 1 2 3 4 5   Next  (First | Last)