Vegetarian Discussion: I Like This Poem

I Like This Poem
Posts: 32

Report Abuse

Use this form to report abuse or request takedown.
The requests are usually processed within 48 hours.

Page: 1 2 3 4   Next  (First | Last)

Rupert
2008-12-12 00:04:29 EST
"Now come", said the Devil, he said to me,
With his swart face all agrin,
"This day, ere ever the clock strikes three,
Shall you sin your darling sin.
For I've wagered a crown with Beelzebub
Down at the Gentlemen's Brimstone Club,
I shall tempt you once, I shall tempt you twice,
Yet thrice shall you fall ere I tempt you thrice."

"Begone, base devil!" I made reply.
"Begone with your fiendish grin!
How hope you to profit by such as I?
For I have no darling sin.
But many there are, and I know them well,
All foul with sinning and ripe for Hell.
And I name no names, but the whole world knows
That I am never of such as those."

"Ho ho!" said the Devil."I'll spread my net,
And I vow I'll gather you in!
By this and by that I shall win my bet,
And you shall sin the sin!
Come, fill up a bumper of red good wine,
Your heart shall sing, and your eyes shall shine,
You shall know such joy as you never have known,
For the salving of men was the good vine grown."

"Begone, red Devil!" I made reply.
"Parch shall these lips of mine,
And my tongue shall shrink, and my throat grow dry,
Ere ever I taste your wine!
But greet you shall, as I know full well,
A tipsy score of my friends in Hell.
And I name no names, but the whole world wots
Most of my fellows are drunken sots."

"Ah ha!" said the Devil. "You scorn the wine!
Thrice shall you sin, I say,
To win a crown from a friend of mine,
Ere three o'clock this day.
Are you calling to mind some lady fair?
And is she a wife or a maiden rare?
'Twere folly to shackle young love, hot youth,
And stolen kisses are sweet, forsooth!"

"Begone, base Devil!" I made reply.
"For never in all my life
Have I looked on a woman with lustful eye,
Be she maid, widow, or wife.
But my brothers! Alas, I am scandalised
By their evil passions so ill disguised.
And I name no names, but 'tis thanks I give
That I loathe the lives my fellow-men live."

"Ah ha!" roared the Devil in fiendish glee.
"'Tis a silver crown I win!
Thrice you have fallen! O Pharisee,
You have sinned your darling sin!"
"But nay," said I, "and I scorn your lure,
I have sinned no sin, and my heart is pure.
Come, show me a sign of the sin you see!"
But the Devil was gone... and the clock struck three.

C. J. Dennis

Rudy Canoza
2008-12-12 00:33:18 EST
Rupert wrote:
> "Now come", said the Devil, he said to me,
> With his swart face all agrin,
> "This day, ere ever the clock [...]

doggerel

Rupert
2008-12-12 01:33:23 EST
On Dec 12, 1:33 pm, Rudy Canoza <pi...@thedismalscience.noot> wrote:
> Rupert wrote:
> > "Now come", said the Devil, he said to me,
> > With his swart face all agrin,
> > "This day, ere ever the clock [...]
>
> doggerel

I didn't wish to suggest it was immortal verse, I just said I quite
liked it. Has a certain resonance with some of the themes that come up
on this newsgroup.

I take it it doesn't charm you in the least.

Rudy Canoza
2008-12-12 02:30:25 EST
Rupert wrote:
> On Dec 12, 1:33 pm, Rudy Canoza <pi...@thedismalscience.noot> wrote:
>> Rupert wrote:
>>> "Now come", said the Devil, he said to me,
>>> With his swart face all agrin,
>>> "This day, ere ever the clock [...]
>> doggerel
>
> I didn't wish to suggest it was immortal verse, I just said I quite
> liked it.

You like doggerel.

Rupert
2008-12-12 02:40:33 EST
On Dec 12, 3:30 pm, Rudy Canoza <pi...@thedismalscience.noot> said
something derogatory, just for a change. Everyone was most impressed
and clapped him on his fine achievement.

Rudy Canoza
2008-12-12 02:42:11 EST
Rupert wrote:
> On Dec 12, 3:30 pm, Rudy Canoza <pi...@thedismalscience.noot> said
> something accurate about me\

Yes: you like revolting doggerel poetry.

Rupert
2008-12-12 03:33:22 EST
On Dec 12, 3:42 pm, Rudy Canoza <pi...@thedismalscience.noot> wrote:
> Rupert wrote:
> > On Dec 12, 3:30 pm, Rudy Canoza <pi...@thedismalscience.noot> said
> > something accurate about me\
>
> Yes:  you like revolting doggerel poetry.

I like a poem which in your view is revolting doggerel poetry, and I'm
perfectly comfortable with that situation.

I asked my co-workers K and K what they think of it. I'll let you
know. One of them has a Ph.D. in English Lit.

But it doesn't matter. De gustibus and all that.

If you don't like the poem that's fine.

J
2008-12-13 14:12:57 EST
On Dec 12, 1:33 am, Rupert <rupertmccal...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> On Dec 12, 3:42 pm, Rudy Canoza <pi...@thedismalscience.noot> wrote:
>
> > Rupert wrote:
> > > On Dec 12, 3:30 pm, Rudy Canoza <pi...@thedismalscience.noot> said
> > > something accurate about me\
>
> > Yes:  you like revolting doggerel poetry.
>
> I like a poem which in your view is revolting doggerel poetry, and I'm
> perfectly comfortable with that situation.
>
> I asked my co-workers K and K what they think of it. I'll let you
> know. One of them has a Ph.D. in English Lit.
>
> But it doesn't matter. De gustibus and all that.
>
> If you don't like the poem that's fine.


Oh no Rupert. That is not fine. Goofy little homo clown Rudy will
throw a hissy fit because you said that.

He hates for you to be comfortable with anything.


Rupert
2008-12-14 01:43:57 EST
On Dec 13, 7:12 pm, J <jquebec...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Dec 12, 1:33 am, Rupert <rupertmccal...@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
>
>
> > On Dec 12, 3:42 pm, Rudy Canoza <pi...@thedismalscience.noot> wrote:
>
> > > Rupert wrote:
> > > > On Dec 12, 3:30 pm, Rudy Canoza <pi...@thedismalscience.noot> said
> > > > something accurate about me\
>
> > > Yes: you like revolting doggerel poetry.
>
> > I like a poem which in your view is revolting doggerel poetry, and I'm
> > perfectly comfortable with that situation.
>
> > I asked my co-workers K and K what they think of it. I'll let you
> > know. One of them has a Ph.D. in English Lit.
>
> > But it doesn't matter. De gustibus and all that.
>
> > If you don't like the poem that's fine.
>
> Oh no Rupert. That is not fine. Goofy little homo clown Rudy will
> throw a hissy fit because you said that.
>
> He hates for you to be comfortable with anything.

I've been picking up on a subtle vibe over the years that Rudy likes
to say derogatory things about people in the hope that it will make
them feel uncomfortable. Indeed, I'd almost go so far as to say that
seems to be the sole purpose of his voluminous usenet activity over
all these years. No, what am I saying? Nobody could be *that* petty,
could they?

One of Rudy's put-downs is "You're not going to win the Fields Medal".
That's quite a put-down, isn't it? A bit like "You're not as rich as
Bill Gates".

Just out of interest, Rudy, have you ever read Harold Bloom's "The
Western Canon"?

Harold Bloom commented on the Harry Potter phemonenon. What's your
take on that?

http://wrt-brooke.syr.edu/courses/205.03/bloom.html

Mr.Smartypants
2008-12-15 14:23:06 EST
On Dec 12, 12:42 am, Rudy Canoza <pi...@thedismalscience.noot> wrote:
> Rupert wrote:
> > On Dec 12, 3:30 pm, Rudy Canoza <pi...@thedismalscience.noot> said
> > something accurate about me\
>
> Yes:  you like revolting doggerel poetry.


There once was a fellow named Rudy
Who in his pants did a big doody.
It reeked and it stunk
Till it fell out "ker-plunk"
And he ate it 'cause he thought it was foody. - Lotus

Page: 1 2 3 4   Next  (First | Last)


2020 - UsenetArchives.com | Contact Us | Privacy | Stats | Site Search
Become our Patron