Vegetarian Discussion: Paranoid Schizophrenia: A Healthy Response To Reality

Paranoid Schizophrenia: A Healthy Response To Reality

Page: 1 2 3 4   Next  (First | Last)

Rupert
2008-10-18 02:14:57 EST
I experienced a psychotic episode in 2001, and another one in late
2002. I have been taking an antipsychotic medication called Solian
since the last episode. In general I have been in good mental health
over the last six years but there have been a couple of occasions when
I have forgotten to take my medication for a period of time and have
had some thoughts which currently strike me as unrealistic. I have not
actually received a diagnosis of any disorder in the DSM-IV but my
mother conjectures that I may have paranoid schizophrenia; she thinks
I fit the profile quite well.

On one occasion I was a bit upset with Derek Nash because he had
deliberately encouraged me to believe that he had hacked into my Yahoo
account, and I did actually believe that at the time, and so I called
him a "sick and twisted little cripple". Perhaps I ought not to have
done that. Jonathan Ball took me to task for it, seeming to suggest
that it was not good behaviour.

However, Jonathan Ball and Derek Nash show absolutely no signs of
embarrassment or shame at repeatedly attempting to mock me and
denigrate me on the basis of my mental health history. Jonathan Ball
has stated that I am a menace to society. He says that this is a
"fact". I must ask him what his position as a libertarian on
defamation law is one of these days. I mean, free speech is a great
thing, but we do have to prohibit commercial fraud and stop people
from shouting "Fire" in crowded theatres. Derek conjectures that I
might have a propensity for violence, that I might want to kill him,
and he says that he has "no doubt" that I have lied to my employer in
some way. On that last point, I have never lied to my employer.
Recently my employers asked me to sign a form saying that I would
abide by an IT policy. They obvious had no serious expectation that
anyone would actually abide by it, and if I had fully abided by it I
would not have been able to check work email at work, which would have
interfered with my ability to do my job. I pointed this out to them,
despite the fact that it probably strained my relations with
management. I go to fairly significant lengths to avoid lying to my
employer, even when they want me to. I revealed in the initial job
interview that I was taking an antipsychotic medication and risked not
being granted a working visa in China because I stated that I had a
history of mental illness on the form I had to fill in during the
initial health check which the Chinese government requires. I have
discussed my mental health history with my immediate manager and
numerous co-workers. I have been forthcoming about my mental health
history well above and beyond the call of duty. There is a small risk
that I might become temporarily unable to do my job, and I have never
made any attempt to conceal this or lie about it. Dutch will probably
call this "incessant whining"; actually I think "drawing attention to
some facts" is the correct description.

The idea I want to float here is that paranoid schizophrenia is
actually a reasonably healthy response to the way the world is and the
fact that it gets classified as a mental illness is more a symptom of
the fact that it makes people feel uncomfortable than anything else.
Sure, I've been known to have some ideas that are probably a bit
unrealistic. But Jehovah's Witnesses refuse blood transfusions because
they think it's the only way to get into the Kingdom of God, and no-
one suggests that they are unwell. They don't get psychiatrists asking
them whether I have a firearms license. Yes, my psychiatrist did ask
me that in our last interview; no doubt Ball and Derek will enjoy
that. You see, when I say to her that I've sometimes had the idea that
there might be lots of microscopic cameras floating around and lots of
people spying on me and trying to control me, she gets worried that I
might entertain violent thoughts.

Well, shortly after Jonathan Ball first started to make edifying
remarks about "corrupt autocracies" and we started debating the ethics
of working in China my browser started doing some funny things. Like I
tried groups.google.com and ended up at gmail.com; I tried www.deja.com
and I got the Wikipedia entry for the letter W. No big deal; sometimes
your browser does funny things in China when you're not using Tor. But
my parents, who do not have a history of psychosis, suggested that I
might want to exercise caution.

Recently I detected a keylogger on my work computer. Someone else had
left that computer without protection against malware for some time,
and some hacker had installed a backdoor trojan and a keylogger on it.
I had used that computer to make a credit card transaction. I had to
change my credit card number and re-install the operating system on
that computer. There is a fair amount of malware out there on the
Internet, malware authors are getting smarter all the time, and it
takes a fair amount of effort to keep your computer free of malware.
But of course when I get worried about the possibility that Derek
might be reading my emails people tell me that I need to increase the
dose of my medication. And of course Derek does go to fairly
significant things to dig up old posts from way back in my posting
history and try to use them against me.

You call it paranoid schizophrenia; I prefer to think of it as a
healthy awareness of the fact that at any given moment there are
likely to be a fair few people out there who are trying to invade my
privacy, use information about me against me, control my life, and
steal my money.

So when it gets to the point where I think there might be microscopic
cameras floating around spying on me, the doctors tell me I'm over-
reacting. Well, maybe. David Friedman has speculated that in about
thirty years' time there will be microscopic video cameras flying
around everywhere gathering information about people, but maybe it's a
bit fanciful to suppose that it's actually going on now. A lot of
people have fanciful ideas. The idea that Christ rose from the dead is
reasonably widespread. It strikes me as fanciful. But that's just my
opinion. Because the idea is so widespread we are all polite to people
who have this idea, but when I get worried about microscopic cameras I
have to worry about which countries I will be allowed into and get
asked whether I have a firearms license.

On the subject of violence, who's being paranoid here? A guy goes up
to my girlfriend in a nightclub and slaps her butt and pushes me hard
in the chest and I do not react violently. I think it would be fair to
say that I am not a violent person, and indeed sometimes this aspect
of me too worries people; I get psychiatrists asking me "Oh, you're a
vegan, why is that?" Ball would perhaps like to suggest on this
account that I am not a real man, but on the other hand he would also
like to simultaneously suggest that I am at risk of going out and
shooting people.

Could I be forgiven for entertaining the thought that "Do you ever
have violent thoughts?" is code for "We might have to do you violence
if you don't shut up?"

Derek would like to suggest that because I've had these ideas once or
twice in my life it's beneath him to have a serious discussion with me
about ethics. Thanks for sharing that thought, Derek. Of course I have
the utmost respect for your philosophical competence and insight into
ethics and your debating skills, with your "indomitable" AR position.
I am sure you would be completely wasting your time bothering to try
and seriously engage with me on ethics. Of course, that kind of makes
you wonder why you bother to engage with me on this board at all. And
we all know damn well why: because you get off on the idea that you
might be humiliating me and causing me hurt. But of course I'm very
sorry for calling you a sick and twisted little cripple, of course
you're anything but.

Anyway. I'm not sure that occasionally getting worried that there
might be microscopic cameras flying around is such a disproportionate
reaction to the way the world is. Sure, it's a bit unrealistic. But
having unrealistic ideas is just a symptom of being excessively
sensitive to the real situation, which is not that far removed from
microscopic cameras flying around. The microscopic cameras will be
there in a generation or two.

Rudy Canoza
2008-10-18 02:19:15 EST
Rupert wrote:
> [...]
> I am sure you would be completely wasting your time bothering to try
> and seriously engage with me on ethics. Of course, that kind of makes
> you wonder why you bother to engage with me on this board at all. And
> we all know damn well why: because you get off on the idea that you
> might be humiliating me and causing me hurt. But of course I'm very
> sorry for calling you a sick and twisted little cripple, of course
> you're anything but.
>
> Anyway. I'm not sure that occasionally getting worried that there
> might be microscopic cameras flying around is such a disproportionate
> reaction to the way the world is. Sure, it's a bit unrealistic. But
> having unrealistic ideas is just a symptom of being excessively
> sensitive to the real situation, which is not that far removed from
> microscopic cameras flying around. The microscopic cameras will be

You talk too fucking much. What a windbag.

Rudy Canoza
2008-10-18 02:24:15 EST
Rupert wrote:
> [snip soporific wheeze]
>
> On the subject of violence, who's being paranoid here? A guy goes up
> to my girlfriend in a nightclub and slaps her butt and pushes me hard
> in the chest and I do not react violently. I think it would be fair to
> say that I am not a violent person, and indeed sometimes this aspect
> of me too worries people; I get psychiatrists asking me "Oh, you're a
> vegan, why is that?" Ball would perhaps like to suggest on this
> account that I am not a real man, but on the other hand he would also
> like to simultaneously suggest that I am at risk of going out and
> shooting people.

You /aren't/ a real man. No real man would let some bloke slap his
girlfriend's ass and take a shove in the chest without swinging on the guy.

You're pretty femmy, rupie.

> [snip more soporific, faggoty wheeze]

Rupert
2008-10-18 04:46:58 EST
On Oct 18, 6:24 am, Rudy Canoza <pi...@thedismalscience.noot> wrote:
> Rupert wrote:
> > [snip soporific wheeze]
>
> > On the subject of violence, who's being paranoid here? A guy goes up
> > to my girlfriend in a nightclub and slaps her butt and pushes me hard
> > in the chest and I do not react violently. I think it would be fair to
> > say that I am not a violent person, and indeed sometimes this aspect
> > of me too worries people; I get psychiatrists asking me "Oh, you're a
> > vegan, why is that?" Ball would perhaps like to suggest on this
> > account that I am not a real man, but on the other hand he would also
> > like to simultaneously suggest that I am at risk of going out and
> > shooting people.
>
> You /aren't/ a real man. No real man would let some bloke slap his
> girlfriend's ass and take a shove in the chest without swinging on the guy.
>
> You're pretty femmy, rupie.
>
> > [snip more soporific, faggoty wheeze]

Thanks for your thoughts, Ball. With great effort I managed to stay
awake while reading your post.

You're saying I have some characteristics which you think of as
"feminine".

If I were more of a real man, apparently, then I would be talking to
Pearl about how she's an "HIV-spreading whore" and needs to wash her
crotch.

So, you're a real man, I'm not. Where does that leave us?

Rudy Canoza
2008-10-18 11:56:36 EST
Rupert wrote:
> On Oct 18, 6:24 am, Rudy Canoza <pi...@thedismalscience.noot> wrote:
>> Rupert wrote:
>>> [snip soporific wheeze]
>>> On the subject of violence, who's being paranoid here? A guy goes up
>>> to my girlfriend in a nightclub and slaps her butt and pushes me hard
>>> in the chest and I do not react violently. I think it would be fair to
>>> say that I am not a violent person, and indeed sometimes this aspect
>>> of me too worries people; I get psychiatrists asking me "Oh, you're a
>>> vegan, why is that?" Ball would perhaps like to suggest on this
>>> account that I am not a real man, but on the other hand he would also
>>> like to simultaneously suggest that I am at risk of going out and
>>> shooting people.
>> You /aren't/ a real man. No real man would let some bloke slap his
>> girlfriend's ass and take a shove in the chest without swinging on the guy.
>>
>> You're pretty femmy, rupie.
>>
>>> [snip more soporific, faggoty wheeze]
>
> Thanks for your thoughts, Rudy. With great effort I managed to stay
> awake while reading your post.

Pot-kettle-black, rupie.

> You're saying I have some characteristics which you think of as
> "feminine".

Yes, indeed.

> If I were more of a real man, apparently, then I would be talking to
> Pearl about how she's an "HIV-spreading whore" and needs to wash her
> crotch.

I don't know about that, rupie, although I /do/ know that lesley does,
indeed, need to improve her personal hygiene; but if you were a real
man, rupie, you wouldn't let some dude slap your girlfriend's ass and
push you around.

> So, you're a real man, I'm not. Where does that leave us?

It leaves me sneering at and mocking you, you bitch.

Rudy Canoza
2008-10-18 12:21:14 EST
Rupert wrote:

[snip first part of FIFTEEN HUNDRED WORD wheeze]

> I mean, free speech is a great
> thing, but we do have to prohibit commercial fraud and stop people
> from shouting "Fire" in crowded theatres.

One time, rupie, a house down the street caught fire. The fire burned
through the roof, and then it really took off due to the chimney effect;
I had heard the expression "going like a house afire" before, but this
really drove the point home. Anyway, I joined a large crowd of
onlookers, and suddenly I succumbed to temptation: at the top of my
lungs, I yelled "Theatre!" at this crowded fire.

[snip some more of FIFTEEN HUNDRED WORD soporific wheeze]

> On the subject of violence, who's being paranoid here? A guy goes up
> to my girlfriend in a nightclub and slaps her butt and pushes me hard
> in the chest and I do not react violently. I think it would be fair to
> say that I am not a violent person, and indeed sometimes this aspect
> of me too worries people; I get psychiatrists asking me "Oh, you're a
> vegan, why is that?" Ball would perhaps like to suggest on this
> account that I am not a real man,

Right. Every demographic study done on the topic shows that vegetarians
and "vegans" are overwhelmingly female. Most vegetarian and "vegan"
males do not exhibit strongly masculine behavioral traits, especially if
the motivation is "animal rights" rather than health. I'm sure you can
find a few loutish counter-examples, rupie, but they're the exceptions
that prove the rule, as the saying goes. *Most* vegetarians and
"vegans" in the western world, at least, are women; and *most* western
men who are vegetarian or "vegan" exhibit pronounced feminine
characteristics.

[snip remainder of tedious, coma-inducing FIFTEEN HUNDRED WORD wheeze]

Rudy Canoza
2008-10-18 12:25:06 EST
Rudy Canoza wrote:
> Rupert wrote:
>
> [snip first part of FIFTEEN HUNDRED WORD wheeze]
>
>> I mean, free speech is a great
>> thing, but we do have to prohibit commercial fraud and stop people
>> from shouting "Fire" in crowded theatres.
>
> One time, rupie, a house down the street caught fire. The fire burned
> through the roof, and then it really took off due to the chimney effect;
> I had heard the expression "going like a house afire" before, but this
> really drove the point home. Anyway, I joined a large crowd of
> onlookers, and suddenly I succumbed to temptation: at the top of my
> lungs, I yelled "Theatre!" at this crowded fire.
>

> [snip some more of FIFTEEN HUNDRED WORD soporific wheeze]
>
>> On the subject of violence, who's being paranoid here? A guy goes up
>> to my girlfriend in a nightclub and slaps her butt and pushes me hard
>> in the chest and I do not react violently. I think it would be fair to
>> say that I am not a violent person, and indeed sometimes this aspect
>> of me too worries people; I get psychiatrists asking me "Oh, you're a
>> vegan, why is that?" Ball would perhaps like to suggest on this
>> account that I am not a real man,
>
> Right. Every demographic study done on the topic shows that vegetarians
> and "vegans" are overwhelmingly female. Most vegetarian and "vegan"
> males do not exhibit strongly masculine behavioral traits, especially if
> the motivation is "animal rights" rather than health. I'm sure you can
> find a few loutish counter-examples, rupie, but they're the exceptions
> that prove the rule, as the saying goes. *Most* vegetarians and
> "vegans" in the western world, at least, are women; and *most* western
> men who are vegetarian or "vegan" exhibit pronounced feminine
> characteristics.

And even when vegetarians comment on this demographic imbalance, and
offer up a list of male vegetarians to try to counter the notion that
real men aren't commonly vegetarian, the list they offer is...of men who
aren't real men: http://www.suite101.com/article.cfm/vegetarian_days/57355

> [snip remainder of tedious, coma-inducing FIFTEEN HUNDRED WORD wheeze]

Rupert
2008-10-18 21:50:05 EST
On Oct 18, 3:56 pm, Rudy Canoza <pi...@thedismalscience.noot> wrote:
> Rupert wrote:
> >> You /aren't/ a real man. No real man would let some bloke slap his
> >> girlfriend's ass and take a shove in the chest without swinging on the guy.
>
> >> You're pretty femmy, rupie.

> > Thanks for your thoughts, Rudy. With great effort I managed to stay
> > awake while reading your post.
>
> Pot-kettle-black, rupie.
>
> > You're saying I have some characteristics which you think of as
> > "feminine".
>
> Yes, indeed.
>
> > If I were more of a real man, apparently, then I would be talking to
> > Pearl about how she's an "HIV-spreading whore" and needs to wash her
> > crotch.
>
> I don't know about that, rupie, although I /do/ know that lesley does,
> indeed, need to improve her personal hygiene; but if you were a real
> man, rupie, you wouldn't let some dude slap your girlfriend's ass and
> push you around.
>
> > So, you're a real man, I'm not. Where does that leave us?
>
> It leaves me sneering at and mocking you, you bitch.

And I take it you expect me to start crying?

Rupert
2008-10-18 21:54:28 EST
On Oct 18, 4:21 pm, Rudy Canoza <pi...@thedismalscience.noot> wrote:
> Rupert wrote:
>
> [snip first part of FIFTEEN HUNDRED WORD wheeze]
>
> > I mean, free speech is a great
> > thing, but we do have to prohibit commercial fraud and stop people
> > from shouting "Fire" in crowded theatres.
>
> One time, rupie, a house down the street caught fire. The fire burned
> through the roof, and then it really took off due to the chimney effect;
> I had heard the expression "going like a house afire" before, but this
> really drove the point home. Anyway, I joined a large crowd of
> onlookers, and suddenly I succumbed to temptation: at the top of my
> lungs, I yelled "Theatre!" at this crowded fire.
>
> [snip some more of FIFTEEN HUNDRED WORD soporific wheeze]
>
> > On the subject of violence, who's being paranoid here? A guy goes up
> > to my girlfriend in a nightclub and slaps her butt and pushes me hard
> > in the chest and I do not react violently. I think it would be fair to
> > say that I am not a violent person, and indeed sometimes this aspect
> > of me too worries people; I get psychiatrists asking me "Oh, you're a
> > vegan, why is that?" Ball would perhaps like to suggest on this
> > account that I am not a real man,
>
> Right. Every demographic study done on the topic shows that vegetarians
> and "vegans" are overwhelmingly female. Most vegetarian and "vegan"
> males do not exhibit strongly masculine behavioral traits, especially if
> the motivation is "animal rights" rather than health. I'm sure you can
> find a few loutish counter-examples, rupie, but they're the exceptions
> that prove the rule, as the saying goes. *Most* vegetarians and
> "vegans" in the western world, at least, are women; and *most* western
> men who are vegetarian or "vegan" exhibit pronounced feminine
> characteristics.
>
> [snip remainder of tedious, coma-inducing FIFTEEN HUNDRED WORD wheeze]

You appear to be under the impression that someone cares about your
idiotic conception of what counts as "masculine". You, apparently,
would have attached some value to taking a swing at the guy before the
bouncer intervened. Good for you. I don't regard you as the world
authority on what counts as "masculine" and whether I am "masculine",
and if I did I still wouldn't care, because I'm not a dribbling
imbecile.

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Rudy Canoza
2008-10-18 23:34:41 EST
Rupert wrote:
> On Oct 18, 4:21 pm, Rudy Canoza <pi...@thedismalscience.noot> wrote:
>> Rupert wrote:
>>
>> [snip first part of FIFTEEN HUNDRED WORD wheeze]
>>
>>> I mean, free speech is a great
>>> thing, but we do have to prohibit commercial fraud and stop people
>>> from shouting "Fire" in crowded theatres.
>> One time, rupie, a house down the street caught fire. The fire burned
>> through the roof, and then it really took off due to the chimney effect;
>> I had heard the expression "going like a house afire" before, but this
>> really drove the point home. Anyway, I joined a large crowd of
>> onlookers, and suddenly I succumbed to temptation: at the top of my
>> lungs, I yelled "Theatre!" at this crowded fire.
>>
>> [snip some more of FIFTEEN HUNDRED WORD soporific wheeze]
>>
>>> On the subject of violence, who's being paranoid here? A guy goes up
>>> to my girlfriend in a nightclub and slaps her butt and pushes me hard
>>> in the chest and I do not react violently. I think it would be fair to
>>> say that I am not a violent person, and indeed sometimes this aspect
>>> of me too worries people; I get psychiatrists asking me "Oh, you're a
>>> vegan, why is that?" Ball would perhaps like to suggest on this
>>> account that I am not a real man,
>> Right. Every demographic study done on the topic shows that vegetarians
>> and "vegans" are overwhelmingly female. Most vegetarian and "vegan"
>> males do not exhibit strongly masculine behavioral traits, especially if
>> the motivation is "animal rights" rather than health. I'm sure you can
>> find a few loutish counter-examples, rupie, but they're the exceptions
>> that prove the rule, as the saying goes. *Most* vegetarians and
>> "vegans" in the western world, at least, are women; and *most* western
>> men who are vegetarian or "vegan" exhibit pronounced feminine
>> characteristics.
>>
>> [snip remainder of tedious, coma-inducing FIFTEEN HUNDRED WORD wheeze]
>
> You appear to be under the impression that someone cares about your
> idiotic conception of what counts as "masculine".

You embrace a food philosophy that is predominantly the province of
urban women. You're fruity.

> You, apparently,
> would have attached some value to taking a swing at the guy before the
> bouncer intervened.

*Any* real man would have done.

> Good for you. I don't regard you as the world
> authority on what counts as "masculine" and whether I am "masculine",

You're a fruit.
Page: 1 2 3 4   Next  (First | Last)