Vegetarian Discussion: CNN: Woman Goes Raw, Loses More Than Half Herself

CNN: Woman Goes Raw, Loses More Than Half Herself

Linda
2008-09-27 10:19:21 EST
http://www.cnn.com/2008/HEALTH/diet.fitness/09/26/weightloss.angela.stokes/
index.html?iref=mpstoryview (pictures and video on web site)

Woman goes raw, loses more than half herself

Story Highlights

* Angela Stokes, 30, was miserable, unhealthy, weighed 300 pounds
* She began a raw vegan diet after reading a book about its health benefits
* Stokes lost 160 pounds in two years, improving her emotional, physical
health
* She now weighs 138 pounds and has written several books on "raw foodism"

By Jackie Adams
CNN

(CNN) -- Angela Stokes had never been overweight as a child.

But she steadily started gaining weight as a teenager because of an
under-active thyroid gland. By the time she graduated from college her
weight had ballooned and she wore a U.K. dress size 26-28.

"I was 300 pounds, very unwell, very miserable," recalls Stokes. "I ate
junk food all the time. I was very closed down emotionally. I had no
interest in dieting; I just wanted to eat all the time ... that was like my
comfort in life."

At the time, she says she was so "emotionally shut down" she refused to
talk to anyone about what was happening. The weight was also taking a
physical toll on her health and she frequently battled infections and
illness.

Stokes says living her everyday life became a challenge.

"My mobility was quite restricted ... I was unwilling to participate in
things from cutting my toenails to going on a walk with my friends,"
remembered Stokes. "I tried to give this impression that I felt fine about
everything, but inside I was in a lot of pain a lot of the time."

Two summers after she reached her heaviest weight, Stokes was working at a
greenhouse in Iceland, when a friend lent her a copy of a book about the
health benefits of eating raw foods. Stokes, who had never been interested
in diets, says she was completely "absorbed" by the approach.

She started eating raw the very next day.

"Everything in my life completely shifted. It was like a light bulb moment
to be like ... 'this is what I was waiting for to reclaim my health,' "
said Stokes.

She went cold turkey or "cold cucumber," as Stokes often jokes. She stopped
eating meat, animal products and processed foods and instead switched to a
diet that consisted of uncooked and unprocessed vegetables, fruits, nuts
and seeds.

"To me, the thing with raw food is that it just makes sense. It's simple
and natural, eating food straight from the earth. There's no rocket
science, no mystery," said Stokes. "Once you understand the simple
principal that no other animal in the wild eats cooked or processed foods.
That's it."

The raw food diet completely transformed her life, she says. Within the
first month of going raw, she had her first boyfriend in more than five
years. In just two years, she had lost 160 pounds and has experienced
dramatic improvements emotionally, physically and socially and is "happier
than I've ever been."

Andrea Giancoli, a registered dietitian and spokeswoman for the American
Dietetic Association, says everyone could stand to eat more fruits and
vegetables.

"We all need to be moving towards a more plant-based diet," Giancoli said.
"There are more pitfalls to a typical American diet with all of the
processed foods and focus on meat than there are to a plant-based diet."

Is it healthier to eat uncooked vegetables? Not necessarily.

"The raw diet, specifically, the philosophy behind it is scientifically
incorrect," Giancoli said. "Raw foodists believe that cooking food destroys
enzymes that are essential for the body. While that's true, so does the
gastric acid or juice in your stomach.

"So those enzymes are broken down anyway in your gastro-intestinal tract."

Giancoli believes there's a nutritional downside to a vegetarian diet.
People who eat no animal foods run the risk of nutritional deficiencies
such as a lack of vitamin B-12, iron and zinc and the powerful Omega-3
fatty acids found in fish, she said.

Giancoli recommends people meet with a dietitian to develop a balanced
eating plan before they embark on a raw food diet.

Stokes, who now weighs 138 pounds, has kept the weight off for four years
and authored several books on "raw foodism" lifestyle.

What tips does she have for people considering a raw vegan lifestyle?
First, start slowly.

"I recommend people start out being at least 50 percent raw and go from
there," advises Stokes. "Maybe it ends up at some point you are completely
raw, maybe not. As long as the majority of the stuff or at least 50 percent
is fresh raw food ... then you're tipping the balance in your favor."

Stokes also advises people to start eating things they like such as
peaches, plums or spinach and then slowly incorporate more fresh raw foods.
She admits the lifestyle can be socially challenging and she encourages
people to connect with other "raw foodists."

"It's great to get support. If you look on the Internet and around you, you
may find pot lucks," said Stokes. "Read books to inspire you to keep going
on this journey."

DB
2008-09-27 11:20:10 EST

"Linda" <linda@not4eamil.com> wrote in

> Stokes also advises people to start eating things they like such as
> peaches, plums or spinach and then slowly incorporate more fresh raw
> foods.
> She admits the lifestyle can be socially challenging and she encourages
> people to connect with other "raw foodists."

Why do people think they have to go to such extremes, just eat real food and
stay away from the packaged garbage!!!!!

Rudy Canoza
2008-09-27 12:28:47 EST
DB wrote:
> "Linda" <linda@not4eamil.com> wrote in
>
>> Stokes also advises people to start eating things they like such as
>> peaches, plums or spinach and then slowly incorporate more fresh raw
>> foods.
>> She admits the lifestyle can be socially challenging and she encourages
>> people to connect with other "raw foodists."
>

> Why do people think they have to go to such extremes, just eat real food and
> stay away from the packaged garbage!!!!!

Exactly. There is no great mystery to weight loss: consume fewer
calories than you expend. You can do that by some combination of
reduction of caloric intake and increase in exercise. It just isn't
that hard. People who weigh twice what they should, as this woman
apparently did, do *not* get to that state due to some "hormone" issue
or having the "wrong body type". They get there because they eat TOO
MUCH FUCKING FOOD, and they don't get off their lard asses enough. My
wife packed on a bunch of weight /after/ the baby was born, and
eventually she got disgusted with herself. She joined Curves, started
watching her portions - continued to eat everything she ate before, just
less of it - and she lost 50 pounds (circa 23kg) in about 18 months, and
she has kept it off.

The blowpig in this story didn't lose weight because of eating a "raw"
diet; that claim is bullshit.

Rudy Canoza
2008-09-27 12:32:39 EST
Linda wrote:
> http://www.cnn.com/2008/HEALTH/diet.fitness/09/26/weightloss.angela.stokes/
> index.html?iref=mpstoryview (pictures and video on web site)
>
> Woman goes raw, loses more than half herself
>
> Story Highlights
>
> * Angela Stokes, 30, was miserable, unhealthy, weighed 300 pounds
> * She began a raw vegan diet after reading a book about its health benefits
> * Stokes lost 160 pounds in two years, improving her emotional, physical
> health
> * She now weighs 138 pounds and has written several books on "raw foodism"
>
> By Jackie Adams
> CNN
>
> (CNN) -- Angela Stokes had never been overweight as a child.
>
> But she steadily started gaining weight as a teenager because of an
> under-active thyroid gland.

BULLSHIT. It seems almost every hugely obese fat slob claims to have
some "gland" problem, or the "wrong body type", or some other BULLSHIT
excuse.

The *fact* is, they're just lazy goddamned fucking gluttons. Their
defect is a *character* defect, not a physical one. A secondary defect,
and the one that means they usually can't sustain a weight loss, is that
they're childish excuse makers - it's the glands, or the body type, or
the food manufacturers, or some other thing other than their own
gluttony and lack of willpower. The fact is, most of them just don't
care if they're corpulent slobs or not.

DB
2008-09-28 16:42:31 EST

"Rudy Canoza" <pipes@thedismalscience.noot> wrote in message
> DB wrote:
>> "Linda" <linda@not4eamil.com> wrote in
>>
>>> Stokes also advises people to start eating things they like such as
>>> peaches, plums or spinach and then slowly incorporate more fresh raw
>>> foods.
>>> She admits the lifestyle can be socially challenging and she encourages
>>> people to connect with other "raw foodists."
>>

>> Why do people think they have to go to such extremes, just eat real food
>> and stay away from the packaged garbage!!!!!
>
> Exactly. There is no great mystery to weight loss: consume fewer
> calories than you expend. You can do that by some combination of
> reduction of caloric intake and increase in exercise. It just isn't that
> hard. People who weigh twice what they should, as this woman apparently
> did, do *not* get to that state due to some "hormone" issue or having the
> "wrong body type".

I agree, people tend to pass on the blame other than themselves!
Getting of the couch is just too hard for them.

> The blowpig in this story didn't lose weight because of eating a "raw"
> diet; that claim is bullshit.

She was starving herself, there's no need for that!!!!!!!!!1

Shava_X
2008-09-28 18:42:49 EST
On Sat, 27 Sep 2008 14:19:21 +0000, Linda wrote:

> http://www.cnn.com/2008/HEALTH/diet.fitness/09/26/
weightloss.angela.stokes/
> index.html?iref=mpstoryview (pictures and video on web site)
>
> Woman goes raw, loses more than half herself
>
> Story Highlights
>
> * Angela Stokes, 30, was miserable, unhealthy, weighed 300 pounds * She
> began a raw vegan diet after reading a book about its health benefits *
> Stokes lost 160 pounds in two years, improving her emotional, physical
> health
> * She now weighs 138 pounds and has written several books on "raw
> foodism"
>
> By Jackie Adams
> CNN
>
> (CNN) -- Angela Stokes had never been overweight as a child.

It has nothing to do with the 'raw' part. It was/is the vegan diet.
Want to loose weight? Switch to a vegan diet. Half the vegans i know
look like the loosing members of the Donner party. The others aren't
much past that.

Rudy Canoza
2008-09-28 19:18:49 EST
Shava_X wrote:
> On Sat, 27 Sep 2008 14:19:21 +0000, Linda wrote:
>
>> http://www.cnn.com/2008/HEALTH/diet.fitness/09/26/
> weightloss.angela.stokes/
>> index.html?iref=mpstoryview (pictures and video on web site)
>>
>> Woman goes raw, loses more than half herself
>>
>> Story Highlights
>>
>> * Angela Stokes, 30, was miserable, unhealthy, weighed 300 pounds * She
>> began a raw vegan diet after reading a book about its health benefits *
>> Stokes lost 160 pounds in two years, improving her emotional, physical
>> health
>> * She now weighs 138 pounds and has written several books on "raw
>> foodism"
>>
>> By Jackie Adams
>> CNN
>>
>> (CNN) -- Angela Stokes had never been overweight as a child.

> It has nothing to do with the 'raw' part. It was/is the vegan diet.

Bullshit. It wasn't that, either.

Shava_X
2008-09-28 23:38:11 EST
On Sun, 28 Sep 2008 16:18:49 -0700, Rudy Canoza wrote:

> Shava_X wrote:
>> On Sat, 27 Sep 2008 14:19:21 +0000, Linda wrote:
>>
>>> http://www.cnn.com/2008/HEALTH/diet.fitness/09/26/
>> weightloss.angela.stokes/
>>> index.html?iref=mpstoryview (pictures and video on web site)
>>>
>>> Woman goes raw, loses more than half herself
>>>
>>> Story Highlights
>>>
>>> * Angela Stokes, 30, was miserable, unhealthy, weighed 300 pounds *
>>> She began a raw vegan diet after reading a book about its health
>>> benefits * Stokes lost 160 pounds in two years, improving her
>>> emotional, physical health
>>> * She now weighs 138 pounds and has written several books on "raw
>>> foodism"
>>>
>>> By Jackie Adams
>>> CNN
>>>
>>> (CNN) -- Angela Stokes had never been overweight as a child.

>> It has nothing to do with the 'raw' part. It was/is the vegan diet.
>
> Bullshit. It wasn't that, either.

How many overweight vegans do You know?
The more variety in a diet, the more likely a person is to overeat. In a
diet with as many restrictions as the vegan diet, the chances of over
eating are slim to none. Most vegans seem to under eat. The same
handful of veggies over and over get boring real fast.

D*@.
2008-09-29 07:04:28 EST
On Sat, 27 Sep 2008 08:20:10 -0700, "DB" <DeeBee@netscape.net> wrote:

>"Linda" <linda@not4eamil.com> wrote in
>
>> Stokes also advises people to start eating things they like such as
>> peaches, plums or spinach and then slowly incorporate more fresh raw
>> foods.
>> She admits the lifestyle can be socially challenging and she encourages
>> people to connect with other "raw foodists."
>

>Why do people think they have to go to such extremes,

There are several different reasons and ideas going on here.

1. The objective - to lose weight. But. As the person loses weight,
supposedly, other things become significant aspects and
considerations.

2. The method - Raw or not, you and Goobernicus have a good
point that the main thing is to burn more than you consume. To
what extent is what matters. How exactly, determines the extent.
Why to choose different methods becomes less significant to the
outcome but still can be significant to the person. Maybe people
like the raw thing as an adventure or something. Grazing and
foraging satisfies some of their instincts. I feel confident that
women like shopping because it satisfies their gathering instincts,
and men like sports...

3. The ethics - is this person suggesting raw fish? It seems
like "vegan" got thrown in there somewhere along the way.
People don't become vegan for health reasons at all. That
involves not using animal products of any kind when possible,
which isn't something a person would do to lose weight. But.
· Vegans contribute to the deaths of animals by their use of
to avoid the following items containing animal by-products
in order to be successful:

Tires, Paper, Upholstery, Floor waxes, Glass, Water
Filters, Rubber, Fertilizer, Antifreeze, Ceramics, Insecticides,
Insulation, Linoleum, Plastic, Textiles, Blood factors, Collagen,
Heparin, Insulin, Solvents, Biodegradable Detergents, Herbicides,
Gelatin Capsules, Adhesive Tape, Laminated Wood Products,
Plywood, Paneling, Wallpaper and Wallpaper Paste, Cellophane
Wrap and Tape, Abrasives, Steel Ball Bearings

being vegan.
From the life and death of a thousand pound grass raised

>just eat real food and stay away from the packaged garbage!!!!!

I wouldn't even matter about that if a person pays attention.

2008-09-29 08:26:42 EST
On 28 sep, 18:42, Shava_X <voodopeo...@rocketNOSPAMmail.com> wrote:
> On Sat, 27 Sep 2008 14:19:21 +0000, Linda wrote:
> >http://www.cnn.com/2008/HEALTH/diet.fitness/09/26/
>
> weightloss.angela.stokes/
>

> > index.html?iref=mpstoryview (pictures and video on web site)
>
> > Woman goes raw, loses more than half herself
>
> > Story Highlights
>
> > * Angela Stokes, 30, was miserable, unhealthy, weighed 300 pounds * She
> > began a raw vegan diet after reading a book about its health benefits *
> > Stokes lost 160 pounds in two years, improving her emotional, physical
> > health
> > * She now weighs 138 pounds and has written several books on "raw
> > foodism"
>
> > By Jackie Adams
> > CNN
>
> > (CNN) -- Angela Stokes had never been overweight as a child.

> It has nothing to do with the 'raw' part.  It was/is the vegan diet.
> Want to loose weight?  Switch to a vegan diet.  Half the vegans i know
> look like the loosing members of the Donner party.  The others aren't
> much past that.  - Masquer le texte des messages précédents -
>
> - Afficher le texte des messages précédents -

"The loosing members of the Donner party" What the heck does that
mean???