Vegetarian Discussion: THE MEAT EATING HABIT WASTES OUR RESOURCES

THE MEAT EATING HABIT WASTES OUR RESOURCES
Posts: 16

Report Abuse

Use this form to report abuse or request takedown.
The requests are usually processed within 48 hours.

Page: 1 2   Next  (First | Last)

And/or Www.mantra.com/jai Dr. Jai Maharaj
2008-08-26 20:22:55 EST
Fact City 19

Eating Meat Wastes Our Resources

When it comes to resource and energy wastage, meat products
are a class by themselves.

Scientists compute the energy costs of foods by the value
of the raw materials consumed in the production of that
food. Frances Moore Lappe reports:

A detailed 1978 study sponsored by the Department of
Interior and Commerce produced startling figures showing
that the value of raw materials consumed to produce food
from livestock is greater than the value of all oil,
gas, and coal consumed in this country.

The same study revealed the equally startling fact that the
production of meats, dairy products and eggs accounts for
one-third of the total amount of all raw materials used for
all purposes in the United States.

In contrast, growing grains, vegetables and fruits for
direct human consumprion is a model of efficiency, using
less than 5% the raw material consumption as does the
production of meat.

Another way scientists compute the energy costs of various
foods is to assess the amount of fossil fuel needed to
produce them. An American scientist, David Pimental,
calculates that if the whole world were to eat according to
wasteful U.S. agricultural practices, the planet's entire
petroleum reserves would be exhausted in 13 years.

- "Raw Materials in the United States Economy 1900-1977"
Technical paper 47, Vivian Spencer, U.S. Department of
Commerce, Bureau of Mines, pg 3

- Lappe, F.M., "Diet For A Small Planet" Ballantine Books,
New York, 1982, Tenth Anniversary Edition

- Reid, J.T., "Comparative Efficiency of Animals in the
Conversion of Feedstuffs to Human Foods" Confinement, April
1976, pg. 23

- Hur, Robin and Fields, David; "How Meat Robs America of
its Energy," Vegetarian Times, April 1985

- Robbins, John, "Diet For A New America" Stillpoint
Publishing, Walpole, N.H., 1987

Jai Maharaj
http://tinyurl.com/24fq83
http://www.mantra.com/jai
http://www.mantra.com/jyotish
Om Shanti

Hindu Holocaust Museum
http://www.mantra.com/holocaust

Hindu life, principles, spirituality and philosophy
http://www.hindu.org
http://www.hindunet.org

The truth about Islam and Muslims
http://www.flex.com/~jai/satyamevajayate

DISCLAIMER AND CONDITIONS

o Not for commercial use. Solely to be fairly used for the educational
purposes of research and open discussion. The contents of this post may not
have been authored by, and do not necessarily represent the opinion of the
poster. The contents are protected by copyright law and the exemption for
fair use of copyrighted works.
o If you send private e-mail to me, it will likely not be read,
considered or answered if it does not contain your full legal name, current
e-mail and postal addresses, and live-voice telephone number.
o Posted for information and discussion. Views expressed by others are
not necessarily those of the poster who may or may not have read the article.

FAIR USE NOTICE: This article may contain copyrighted material the use of
which may or may not have been specifically authorized by the copyright
owner. This material is being made available in efforts to advance the
understanding of environmental, political, human rights, economic,
democratic, scientific, social, and cultural, etc., issues. It is believed
that this constitutes a 'fair use' of any such copyrighted material as
provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law. In accordance with Title
17 U.S.C. Section 107, the material on this site is distributed without
profit to those who have expressed a prior interest in receiving the included
information for research, comment, discussion and educational purposes by
subscribing to USENET newsgroups or visiting web sites. For more information
go to: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml
If you wish to use copyrighted material from this article for purposes of
your own that go beyond 'fair use', you must obtain permission from the
copyright owner.

Rudy Canoza
2008-08-27 00:12:50 EST
On Aug 26, 5:22 pm, use...@mantra.com and/or www.mantra.com/jai (Dr.
Jai Maharaj) wrote:
> Fact City 19
>
> Eating Meat Wastes Our Resources
>
> When it comes to resource and energy wastage, meat products
> are a class by themselves.
>
> Scientists compute the energy costs of foods by the value
> of the raw materials consumed in the production of that
> food. Frances Moore Lappe reports:
>
> A detailed 1978 study sponsored by the Department of
> Interior and Commerce produced startling figures showing
> that the value of raw materials consumed to produce food
> from livestock is greater than the value of all oil,
> gas, and coal consumed in this country.
>
> The same study revealed the equally startling fact that the
> production of meats, dairy products and eggs accounts for
> one-third of the total amount of all raw materials used for
> all purposes in the United States.
>
> In contrast, growing grains, vegetables and fruits for
> direct human consumprion is a model of efficiency, using
> less than 5% the raw material consumption as does the
> production of meat.
>
> Another way scientists compute the energy costs of various
> foods is to assess the amount of fossil fuel needed to
> produce them. An American scientist, David Pimental,

Not a scientist, of course.

> calculates that if the whole world were to eat according to
> wasteful U.S. agricultural practices, the planet's entire
> petroleum reserves would be exhausted in 13 years.

So, rupie, once *AGAIN*, we see that the bogus "inefficiency" argument
is *not* about environmental concerns, but is, as I have always
maintained, a *BOGUS* argument about resource allocation, and a
complete *misperception* of the notion of value.

Rupert
2008-08-27 02:45:21 EST
On Aug 26, 9:12 pm, Rudy Canoza <notgen...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> On Aug 26, 5:22 pm, use...@mantra.com and/orwww.mantra.com/jai(Dr.
>
>
>
>
>
> Jai Maharaj) wrote:
> > Fact City 19
>
> > Eating Meat Wastes Our Resources
>
> > When it comes to resource and energy wastage, meat products
> > are a class by themselves.
>
> > Scientists compute the energy costs of foods by the value
> > of the raw materials consumed in the production of that
> > food. Frances Moore Lappe reports:
>
> >  A detailed 1978 study sponsored by the Department of
> >  Interior and Commerce produced startling figures showing
> >  that the value of raw materials consumed to produce food
> >  from livestock is greater than the value of all oil,
> >  gas, and coal consumed in this country.
>
> > The same study revealed the equally startling fact that the
> > production of meats, dairy products and eggs accounts for
> > one-third of the total amount of all raw materials used for
> > all purposes in the United States.
>
> > In contrast, growing grains, vegetables and fruits for
> > direct human consumprion is a model of efficiency, using
> > less than 5% the raw material consumption as does the
> > production of meat.
>
> > Another way scientists compute the energy costs of various
> > foods is to assess the amount of fossil fuel needed to
> > produce them. An American scientist, David Pimental,
>
> Not a scientist, of course.
>
> > calculates that if the whole world were to eat according to
> > wasteful U.S. agricultural practices, the planet's entire
> > petroleum reserves would be exhausted in 13 years.
>
> So, rupie, once *AGAIN*, we see that the bogus "inefficiency" argument
> is *not* about environmental concerns, but is, as I have always
> maintained, a *BOGUS* argument about resource allocation, and a
> complete *misperception* of the notion of value.- Hide quoted text -
>
> - Show quoted text -

I already conceded everything that needed to be conceded on that
point.

Could you answer my question in the other thread, please?

Your decision to take up the hobby of trying to annoy people and waste
their time on the internet: was it more influenced by the moment when
you first realised you would never be able to give a woman an orgasm,
or your attempts to come to terms with how much contempt your mother
has for you and how much she wishes she had an abortion?

Rudy Canoza
2008-08-27 07:16:58 EST
On Aug 26, 11:45 pm, Rupert <rupertmccal...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> On Aug 26, 9:12 pm, Rudy Canoza <notgen...@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
>
>
> > On Aug 26, 5:22 pm, use...@mantra.com and/orwww.mantra.com/jai(Dr.
>
> > Jai Maharaj) wrote:
> > > Fact City 19
>
> > > Eating Meat Wastes Our Resources
>
> > > When it comes to resource and energy wastage, meat products
> > > are a class by themselves.
>
> > > Scientists compute the energy costs of foods by the value
> > > of the raw materials consumed in the production of that
> > > food. Frances Moore Lappe reports:
>
> > > A detailed 1978 study sponsored by the Department of
> > > Interior and Commerce produced startling figures showing
> > > that the value of raw materials consumed to produce food
> > > from livestock is greater than the value of all oil,
> > > gas, and coal consumed in this country.
>
> > > The same study revealed the equally startling fact that the
> > > production of meats, dairy products and eggs accounts for
> > > one-third of the total amount of all raw materials used for
> > > all purposes in the United States.
>
> > > In contrast, growing grains, vegetables and fruits for
> > > direct human consumprion is a model of efficiency, using
> > > less than 5% the raw material consumption as does the
> > > production of meat.
>
> > > Another way scientists compute the energy costs of various
> > > foods is to assess the amount of fossil fuel needed to
> > > produce them. An American scientist, David Pimental,
>
> > Not a scientist, of course.
>
> > > calculates that if the whole world were to eat according to
> > > wasteful U.S. agricultural practices, the planet's entire
> > > petroleum reserves would be exhausted in 13 years.
>
> > So, rupie, once *AGAIN*, we see that the bogus "inefficiency" argument
> > is *not* about environmental concerns, but is, as I have always
> > maintained, a *BOGUS* argument about resource allocation, and a
> > complete *misperception* of the notion of value.- Hide quoted text -
>
> > - Show quoted text -
>
> I already conceded everything that needed to be conceded on that
> point.

No, you fudged and qualified that. It was an insincere and phony
concession - typical of your intellectual dishonesty.


> Could you answer my question in the other thread, please?
>
> Your decision to take up the hobby of trying to annoy people and waste
> their time on the internet:

No such hobby.

D*@.
2008-08-27 11:46:52 EST
On Wed, 27 Aug 2008 00:22:55 GMT, usenet@mantra.com and/or www.mantra.com/jai (Dr. Jai Maharaj) wrote:

>Fact City 19
>
>Eating Meat Wastes Our Resources
>
>When it comes to resource and energy wastage, meat products
>are a class by themselves.

White bread is green

By Fred Pearce
vegetarians may be healthier, but meat eaters do more for the environment. A
survey of the energy used to produce and distribute various foods has found
that meat and processed food such as sweets, ice cream, potato chips and white
bread are among the most energy-efficient--and so least polluting--foods in our
diet. Tea, coffee, tomatoes, salad vegetables and white fish, on the other
hand, are distinctly environmentally unfriendly.

David Coley and colleagues of the Centre for Energy and the Environment at the
University of Exeter have analysed how much energy from fuel is used in the
complete production cycle of food in a typical shopping basket.

The analysis includes the manufacture and application of fertilisers and other
chemicals, harvesting, processing, packaging, transport and waste disposal.
Geographical differences have been averaged out.

In a study of the diets of more than 2000 people, they found that it takes
around 18 000 mega-joules of energy each year to get a typical Briton's food to
the table. This is almost six times the energy contained in the food itself. In
all, the process consumes almost a tenth of the national energy budget, adding
15 million tonnes of carbon to the atmosphere in the form of carbon dioxide.

But people's diets vary hugely. The study suggests that a sixth of Britons
consume food over a year that requires less than 10 000 MJ to produce, while
the annual diets of another sixth require more than 25 000 MJ.

The study will trouble those trying to be both healthy and green. The most
energy-intensive item is coffee, which requires 177 MJ of energy to produce 1
MJ of food intake. But typical salad vegetables require 45 MJ and white fish
36, compared to 8 MJ for beef and burgers, 7 for chicken and 6 for lamb.

Worse still for the environmental consciences of healthy eaters, while fresh
fruit consumes between 10 and 22 MJ, sugary confectionery, crisps, white bread
and ice cream are all right at the bottom of the table, consuming less than 1
MJ each.

"Meat does well because it is not highly processed, provides a lot of calories
and is often grown locally," says Coley. "But obviously it makes a lot of
difference whether the meat comes from the local farm or Brazil. I live close
to Dartmoor, where local cabbages and lamb would produce a very different score
from New Zealand lamb and Kenyan green beans."

In a sense, says Coley, we all "eat oil". The modern food industry is "in many
ways a means of converting fossil fuels into edible forms. Food is a large part
of an individual's impact on the greenhouse effect. Many of us could change our
diets to have a lot less impact."

>From New Scientist, 6 December 1997

http://www.ex.ac.uk/EAD/Extrel/Annrep/a98-phy.htm#top
D A Coley, E Goodliffe and J Macdiarmid
'The embodied energy of food: the role of diet', Energy Policy, 26 1998: 455-9.

D*@.
2008-08-27 11:51:16 EST
On Wed, 27 Aug 2008, Goo wrote:

>On Aug 26, 11:45 pm, Rupert <rupertmccal...@yahoo.com> wrote:
>> On Aug 26, 9:12 pm, Goo wrote:
>>
>>
>>
>> > On Aug 26, 5:22 pm, use...@mantra.com and/orwww.mantra.com/jai(Dr.
>>
>> > Jai Maharaj) wrote:
>> > > Fact City 19
>>
>> > > Eating Meat Wastes Our Resources
>>
>> > > When it comes to resource and energy wastage, meat products
>> > > are a class by themselves.
>>
>> > > Scientists compute the energy costs of foods by the value
>> > > of the raw materials consumed in the production of that
>> > > food. Frances Moore Lappe reports:
>>
>> > > A detailed 1978 study sponsored by the Department of
>> > > Interior and Commerce produced startling figures showing
>> > > that the value of raw materials consumed to produce food
>> > > from livestock is greater than the value of all oil,
>> > > gas, and coal consumed in this country.
>>
>> > > The same study revealed the equally startling fact that the
>> > > production of meats, dairy products and eggs accounts for
>> > > one-third of the total amount of all raw materials used for
>> > > all purposes in the United States.
>>
>> > > In contrast, growing grains, vegetables and fruits for
>> > > direct human consumprion is a model of efficiency, using
>> > > less than 5% the raw material consumption as does the
>> > > production of meat.
>>
>> > > Another way scientists compute the energy costs of various
>> > > foods is to assess the amount of fossil fuel needed to
>> > > produce them. An American scientist, David Pimental,
>>
>> > Not a scientist, of course.
>>
>> > > calculates that if the whole world were to eat according to
>> > > wasteful U.S. agricultural practices, the planet's entire
>> > > petroleum reserves would be exhausted in 13 years.
>>
>> > So, rupie, once *AGAIN*, we see that the bogus "inefficiency" argument
>> > is *not* about environmental concerns, but is, as I have always
>> > maintained, a *BOGUS* argument about resource allocation, and a
>> > complete *misperception* of the notion of value.- Hide quoted text -
>>
>> > - Show quoted text -
>>
>> I already conceded everything that needed to be conceded on that
>> point.
>
>No, you fudged and qualified that.

Try to explain just what it is you think you're trying to talk
about Goo. Go:

>It was an insincere and phony
>concession - typical of your intellectual dishonesty.
>
>
>> Could you answer my question in the other thread, please?
>>
>> Your decision to take up the hobby of trying to annoy people and waste
>> their time on the internet:
>
>No such hobby.

All you do is waste time Goo, without ever contributing anything
of value. For example: In the message I'm replying to you wasted
time and contributed nothing of value. For another example: In
your next post you will waste time and contribute nothing of value.
Etc.............................................

Rudy Canoza
2008-08-29 00:19:23 EST
Goo - Fuckwit David Harrison, Stupidist, stupid pig-fucking cracker -
woke up and said, "How can I be even *more* stupid today than I was
yesterday?", and so he lied:
> On Wed, 27 Aug 2008, Rudy C. Canoza wrote:
> >On Aug 26, 11:45 pm, Rupert <rupertmccal...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> >> On Aug 26, 9:12 pm, Rudy M. Canoza wrote:
>
> >> > bullshit not-a-doctor/not-a-Hindoo Jay Stevens lied:
> >> > > Fact City 19
>
> >> > > Eating Meat Wastes Our Resources
>
> >> > > When it comes to resource and energy wastage, meat products
> >> > > are a class by themselves.
>
> >> > > Scientists compute the energy costs of foods by the value
> >> > > of the raw materials consumed in the production of that
> >> > > food. Frances Moore Lappe reports:
>
> >> > > A detailed 1978 study sponsored by the Department of
> >> > > Interior and Commerce produced startling figures showing
> >> > > that the value of raw materials consumed to produce food
> >> > > from livestock is greater than the value of all oil,
> >> > > gas, and coal consumed in this country.
>
> >> > > The same study revealed the equally startling fact that the
> >> > > production of meats, dairy products and eggs accounts for
> >> > > one-third of the total amount of all raw materials used for
> >> > > all purposes in the United States.
>
> >> > > In contrast, growing grains, vegetables and fruits for
> >> > > direct human consumprion is a model of efficiency, using
> >> > > less than 5% the raw material consumption as does the
> >> > > production of meat.
>
> >> > > Another way scientists compute the energy costs of various
> >> > > foods is to assess the amount of fossil fuel needed to
> >> > > produce them. An American scientist, David Pimental,
>
> >> > Not a scientist, of course.
>
> >> > > calculates that if the whole world were to eat according to
> >> > > wasteful U.S. agricultural practices, the planet's entire
> >> > > petroleum reserves would be exhausted in 13 years.
>
> >> > So, rupie, once *AGAIN*, we see that the bogus "inefficiency" argument
> >> > is *not* about environmental concerns, but is, as I have always
> >> > maintained, a *BOGUS* argument about resource allocation, and a
> >> > complete *misperception* of the notion of value.- Hide quoted text -
>
> >> > - Show quoted text -
>
> >> I already conceded everything that needed to be conceded on that
> >> point.
>
> >No, you fudged and qualified that.
>
> Try to explain

Everything has been explained. You are too stupid to understand.


> >It was an insincere and phony
> >concession - typical of your intellectual dishonesty.
>
> >> Could you answer my question in the other thread, please?
>
> >> Your decision to take up the hobby of trying to annoy people and waste
> >> their time on the internet:
>
> >No such hobby.
>
> All you do is

Beat the crap out of stupid pig-fucking crackers and Australian
psychotics.

D*@.
2008-08-31 10:48:48 EST
On Thu, 28 Aug 2008, Goo wrote:

>On Wed, 27 Aug 2008 14:51:16 -0100, dh@. wrote:
>
>>On Wed, 27 Aug 2008, Goo wrote:
>>
>>>On Aug 26, 11:45 pm, Rupert <rupertmccal...@yahoo.com> wrote:
>>>> On Aug 26, 9:12 pm, Goo wrote:
>>>>
>>>>
>>>>
>>>> > On Aug 26, 5:22 pm, use...@mantra.com and/orwww.mantra.com/jai(Dr.
>>>>
>>>> > Jai Maharaj) wrote:
>>>> > > Fact City 19
>>>>
>>>> > > Eating Meat Wastes Our Resources
>>>>
>>>> > > When it comes to resource and energy wastage, meat products
>>>> > > are a class by themselves.
>>>>
>>>> > > Scientists compute the energy costs of foods by the value
>>>> > > of the raw materials consumed in the production of that
>>>> > > food. Frances Moore Lappe reports:
>>>>
>>>> > > A detailed 1978 study sponsored by the Department of
>>>> > > Interior and Commerce produced startling figures showing
>>>> > > that the value of raw materials consumed to produce food
>>>> > > from livestock is greater than the value of all oil,
>>>> > > gas, and coal consumed in this country.
>>>>
>>>> > > The same study revealed the equally startling fact that the
>>>> > > production of meats, dairy products and eggs accounts for
>>>> > > one-third of the total amount of all raw materials used for
>>>> > > all purposes in the United States.
>>>>
>>>> > > In contrast, growing grains, vegetables and fruits for
>>>> > > direct human consumprion is a model of efficiency, using
>>>> > > less than 5% the raw material consumption as does the
>>>> > > production of meat.
>>>>
>>>> > > Another way scientists compute the energy costs of various
>>>> > > foods is to assess the amount of fossil fuel needed to
>>>> > > produce them. An American scientist, David Pimental,
>>>>
>>>> > Not a scientist, of course.
>>>>
>>>> > > calculates that if the whole world were to eat according to
>>>> > > wasteful U.S. agricultural practices, the planet's entire
>>>> > > petroleum reserves would be exhausted in 13 years.
>>>>
>>>> > So, rupie, once *AGAIN*, we see that the bogus "inefficiency" argument
>>>> > is *not* about environmental concerns, but is, as I have always
>>>> > maintained, a *BOGUS* argument about resource allocation, and a
>>>> > complete *misperception* of the notion of value.- Hide quoted text -
>>>>
>>>> > - Show quoted text -
>>>>
>>>> I already conceded everything that needed to be conceded on that
>>>> point.
>>>
>>>No, you fudged and qualified that.
>>
>> Try to explain just what it is you think you're trying to talk
>>about Goo. Go:
>
>Everything has been explained. You are too stupid to understand.

I challenge you to find out if I'm too stupid to understand, by
posting whatever it is you think you're trying to talk about now
Goo. GO:


(Correct prediction: The Goober--as always--will prove himself
incapable of trying to explain what he thinks he's trying to
talk about.)

>>>It was an insincere and phony
>>>concession - typical of your intellectual dishonesty.
>>>
>>>
>>>> Could you answer my question in the other thread, please?
>>>>
>>>> Your decision to take up the hobby of trying to annoy people and waste
>>>> their time on the internet:
>>>
>>>No such hobby.
>>
>> All you do is waste time Goo, without ever contributing anything
>>of value. For example: In the message I'm replying to you wasted
>>time and contributed nothing of value. For another example: In
>>your next post you will waste time and contribute nothing of value.
>>Etc.............................................


Rupert
2008-09-01 22:07:31 EST
On Aug 27, 4:16 am, Rudy Canoza <notgen...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> On Aug 26, 11:45 pm, Rupert <rupertmccal...@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
>
>
>
>
> > On Aug 26, 9:12 pm, Rudy Canoza <notgen...@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
> > > On Aug 26, 5:22 pm, use...@mantra.com and/orwww.mantra.com/jai(Dr.
>
> > > Jai Maharaj) wrote:
> > > > Fact City 19
>
> > > > Eating Meat Wastes Our Resources
>
> > > > When it comes to resource and energy wastage, meat products
> > > > are a class by themselves.
>
> > > > Scientists compute the energy costs of foods by the value
> > > > of the raw materials consumed in the production of that
> > > > food. Frances Moore Lappe reports:
>
> > > >  A detailed 1978 study sponsored by the Department of
> > > >  Interior and Commerce produced startling figures showing
> > > >  that the value of raw materials consumed to produce food
> > > >  from livestock is greater than the value of all oil,
> > > >  gas, and coal consumed in this country.
>
> > > > The same study revealed the equally startling fact that the
> > > > production of meats, dairy products and eggs accounts for
> > > > one-third of the total amount of all raw materials used for
> > > > all purposes in the United States.
>
> > > > In contrast, growing grains, vegetables and fruits for
> > > > direct human consumprion is a model of efficiency, using
> > > > less than 5% the raw material consumption as does the
> > > > production of meat.
>
> > > > Another way scientists compute the energy costs of various
> > > > foods is to assess the amount of fossil fuel needed to
> > > > produce them. An American scientist, David Pimental,
>
> > > Not a scientist, of course.
>
> > > > calculates that if the whole world were to eat according to
> > > > wasteful U.S. agricultural practices, the planet's entire
> > > > petroleum reserves would be exhausted in 13 years.
>
> > > So, rupie, once *AGAIN*, we see that the bogus "inefficiency" argument
> > > is *not* about environmental concerns, but is, as I have always
> > > maintained, a *BOGUS* argument about resource allocation, and a
> > > complete *misperception* of the notion of value.- Hide quoted text -
>
> > > - Show quoted text -
>
> > I already conceded everything that needed to be conceded on that
> > point.
>
> No, you fudged and qualified that.  It was an insincere and phony
> concession - typical of your intellectual dishonesty.
>

Absolute rubbish. I gave a frank and forthright concession
immediately, and repeated it a number of times in response to your
inane ranting.

You are a pitiful liar.

> > Could you answer my question in the other thread, please?
>
> > Your decision to take up the hobby of trying to annoy people and waste
> > their time on the internet:
>
> No such hobby.

You actually think you're doing something constructive and worthwhile?
That's kind of sad.

Rudy Canoza
2008-09-03 02:07:57 EST
Rupert wrote:
> On Aug 27, 4:16 am, Rudy Canoza <notgen...@yahoo.com> wrote:
>> On Aug 26, 11:45 pm, Rupert <rupertmccal...@yahoo.com> wrote:
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>> On Aug 26, 9:12 pm, Rudy Canoza <notgen...@yahoo.com> wrote:
>>>> On Aug 26, 5:22 pm, use...@mantra.com and/orwww.mantra.com/jai(Dr.
>>>> Jai Maharaj) wrote:
>>>>> Fact City 19
>>>>> Eating Meat Wastes Our Resources
>>>>> When it comes to resource and energy wastage, meat products
>>>>> are a class by themselves.
>>>>> Scientists compute the energy costs of foods by the value
>>>>> of the raw materials consumed in the production of that
>>>>> food. Frances Moore Lappe reports:
>>>>> A detailed 1978 study sponsored by the Department of
>>>>> Interior and Commerce produced startling figures showing
>>>>> that the value of raw materials consumed to produce food
>>>>> from livestock is greater than the value of all oil,
>>>>> gas, and coal consumed in this country.
>>>>> The same study revealed the equally startling fact that the
>>>>> production of meats, dairy products and eggs accounts for
>>>>> one-third of the total amount of all raw materials used for
>>>>> all purposes in the United States.
>>>>> In contrast, growing grains, vegetables and fruits for
>>>>> direct human consumprion is a model of efficiency, using
>>>>> less than 5% the raw material consumption as does the
>>>>> production of meat.
>>>>> Another way scientists compute the energy costs of various
>>>>> foods is to assess the amount of fossil fuel needed to
>>>>> produce them. An American scientist, David Pimental,
>>>> Not a scientist, of course.
>>>>> calculates that if the whole world were to eat according to
>>>>> wasteful U.S. agricultural practices, the planet's entire
>>>>> petroleum reserves would be exhausted in 13 years.
>>>> So, rupie, once *AGAIN*, we see that the bogus "inefficiency" argument
>>>> is *not* about environmental concerns, but is, as I have always
>>>> maintained, a *BOGUS* argument about resource allocation, and a
>>>> complete *misperception* of the notion of value.- Hide quoted text -
>>>> - Show quoted text -
>>> I already conceded everything that needed to be conceded on that
>>> point.
>> No, you fudged and qualified that. It was an insincere and phony
>> concession - typical of your intellectual dishonesty.
>>
>
> Absolute rubbish.

Nope - fudge and qualification.


>>> Could you answer my question in the other thread, please?
>>> Your decision to take up the hobby of trying to annoy people and waste
>>> their time on the internet:
>> No such hobby.
>
> You actually think

No such hobby.
Page: 1 2   Next  (First | Last)


2020 - UsenetArchives.com | Contact Us | Privacy | Stats | Site Search
Become our Patron